3rd Trimester

Cholestasis-scared and need advice

Hi. I am new and need advice. At 15 weeks I had some itching, on my back, legs and arms. My doctor ran bile acids and they were 11. Liver enzymes and everything else was normal. I have no other symptoms of cholestasis, no pale stool or dark urine, no nausea, no jaundice, no pain in abdomen etc, and the itchiness is mild with no itching in palms or soles.

Due to them being over 10, my doctor is having me tested in 3 weeks and he said we may need to deliver at 36-37 weeks. I am just wondering If anyone had any experience or knowledge where there can be mild cases, since mine is barely over 10, where the delivery doesnt need to be done so early. 

should i be tested before 3 weeks, and is there anything I can do to naturally try to get the bile acids down? I know the prescription medicine may be prescribed if it goes up. I am obviously very scared at the thought of needing to deliver this early and having cholestasis.

Re: Cholestasis-scared and need advice

• I am sorry to hear what you are going through!  I have an autoimmune liver disease with elevated liver enzymes.  I started itching like crazy at about five weeks with bile acid levels of 9 and was losing my mind with scratching until about 16 weeks.  Not sure what happened, but the itching slowly went away and bile acid levels are still barely normal.  I am now almost 27 weeks and still get bile acid tests done out of caution.  Praying the itching doesn’t return.  Your doctor will measure your bile acid levels regularly throughout your pregnancy and deliver early if the levels get really high.  Try to control your itching with lots of ucerin cream and hope for the best.  I am sure everything will turn out all right at the end.  I wish you and your baby a healthy pregnancy and delivery!  
  • Also I am not sure if you were prescribed Ursodiol, but do take those religiously, go on daily walks and drink beet juice.  Ursodiol and beet juice help with bile flow.  I felt that daily walks also helped with my bile flow.  Just a few tips that helped me.  Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @knottieb06956623bc873d0

You do realize that this is a post from deleted user