October 2020 Moms

Product spotlight: maternity clothes

What are your must have items? Where do you suggest to shop? 

Re: Product spotlight: maternity clothes

• babyodobabyodo member
    I really like the Aglow and BumpStart brands of maternity tees and tanks I got from Macy's and Kohls. I prefer the shirred side shirts/tanks to the ones with empire waists; that's just more my style. I've been meaning to get more of those.

I bought two of the same pair of maternity leggings from Motherhood Maternity on Amazon, and while they are very, very comfortable, they're very see-through, so just a forewarning. I always wear long shirts/tunics with leggings anyway, but yeah, it's something I noticed.

And I really, really, really want this maternity dress from Seraphine, but am struggling with the price tag ($99). It's just so 'me' though!

Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Thredup.com since no stores are open
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Loading the player...
  • I live in my capri yoga leggings from motherhood maternity. I originally didn't think it would be worth getting them because athletic wear is stretchy anyway, but the panel is so much more comfortable than trying to wear non maternity clothes. Also highly recommend getting some compression socks if you feel like your feet or legs are getting more sore than usual. I never really look like I'm swelling, but they help me a lot!
  • I’ve gotten almost all of my maternity clothes from Facebook marketplace. I have lots of Liz Lange from Target that are nice. I really like their jeans. 
    ThredUP also has a great selection. 
    I’m also a huge fan of maternity camis with layering pieces such as kimonos and cardigans that I already own. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• @babyodo these are the ones I have and they aren't see through at all! It's so hard to tell when buying online though. These are one of the few items I actually bought myself because most of the rest of my maternity clothes were inherited fromy sister. 
    https://www.motherhood.com/secret-fit-belly-maternity-active-pants/006-97752-006-001.html?dwvar_006-97752-006-001_color=006-97752-01#q=Secret+Fit+Belly+Maternity+Crop+Active+Pants&lang=default&start=1
  • I bought a few things recently from PinkBlush Maternity! I love the jean shorts I bought from there. Super stretchy and comfortable!
  • Target has some great maternity jean shorts as well, I got some with the stretch in the hips and not the belly panel. Really wondering why they don't make regular jean shorts like these because, damn they're comfy. I would also recommend auden bras from target SO COMFY. 

AND... I would recommend shopping at places that you can do order online, pick up in store. I ordered maternity stuff from Gap and it took almost a month to get here and my friend ordered from Old Navy and it took over a month for her order to arrive. 
  • I’ve purchased most of my maternity clothes on eBay. Motherhood maternity, gap, Liz Lange and old navy brands have been my favorites. I didn’t buy many maternity items last pregnancy because I didn’t really need them until fall and I wore a lot of stretchy dresses with cardigans over them to work. I also used a belly band and wore my regular pants, but with staying home and running around after my son, I just want to be more comfortable this time. My favorite item I’ve purchased is a pair of green cargo pants from motherhood (bought used on eBay). They are lightweight and can be rolled up for Capri length. 

@babyodo I also looked at the dresses on Seraphine and they are so cute, but I can’t imagine spending that kind of money on a dress since this is my last pregnancy.  
  • Second PinkBlush - there’s almost always a promo code available to bring the cost down. Also done some Target. I have kept exactly none of all the maternity pieces I have ordered from Old Navy.

My last pregnancy I had some success with StitchFix, although they’re a little pricey. However, I just got a delivery from them and apparently their access to maternity clothes is significantly decreased due to coronavirus. My “stylist” couldn’t find a single maternity piece to send me, so she tried some “maternity-friendly” pieces that definitely won’t fit my belly in a couple months, lol. I would suggest waiting until the pandemic is over to try them. :) 
  • I ordered a Stitchfix that’s delayed thanks to Covid, but should be coming in the next week. In the past I have worn Motherhood Maternity brand without complaints. Personally I prefer full belly panel to the ones that are just stretchy. I just like something up over my bump so it doesn’t feel like it’s falling down or I’m being exposed. 

I had a summer pregnancy with DD2 and lived in shorts and tanks. I don’t think I could handle anything else with the heat!
  • babyodobabyodo member
    edited May 2020
    @babyodo these are the ones I have and they aren't see through at all! It's so hard to tell when buying online though. These are one of the few items I actually bought myself because most of the rest of my maternity clothes were inherited fromy sister. 
    https://www.motherhood.com/secret-fit-belly-maternity-active-pants/006-97752-006-001.html?dwvar_006-97752-006-001_color=006-97752-01#q=Secret+Fit+Belly+Maternity+Crop+Active+Pants&lang=default&start=1
    These are the ones I bought (similar, but full length instead of capri length). They're not see-through when I'm just standing there, but when they stretch as I bend (like at the knee) you can see my skin underneath the fabric.

• Question about maternity clothes in general - how does sizing work?  If I typically wear an M, I assume I would be an M or L depending on how much/where I gain weight besides my belly? Or do they have decent sizing charts/measurement directions?

Probably will be buying most stuff online so hoping I don’t have to deal with a million returns.  Normally I would just go o a store and try stuff on til  I figured it out but that’s not a choice right now.....
  • @angela444 I would definitely get a few opinions on this, but for me, it was essentially what my size was before...until 3rd trimester, then I had to size up some stuff a size. So now I have a sort of range of things, some are too big for me still, some comfortably fit now. I found that most stretchy well rouched Ts lasted a lot longer and grew better with me (motherhood ones were great, old navy ones stunk and I kept growing out of). Full panel pants also lasted longer into my pregnancy for me than the partial ones or the stretchy side panel options.
  • calliahcalliah member
    I’m a fan of Old Navy maternity. The price is right and the quality is fine. I still have stuff from my first pregnancy 7 years ago that is in good shape though I don’t wear it since it’s long sleeve. 
    I like the premium full panel rockstar jeggings and their t shirts and twill shorts. Though I live in scrubs and casual clothes so I can’t comment on the work pieces. 
  • @angela444 The idea is that you wear the same size in maternity clothes that you would in regular clothes, and they accommodate for the growing belly. Of course, since women’s sizing varies so much anyway, I would reference a size chart. I have found with Target maternity clothes I am a size smaller than I am in their regular clothes. 
  • @carrotsandpeas3 Do you ever have trouble with full-panel pants sliding down? I find that I have to keep pulling them up because they slide down so badly! But a different size didn’t seem be the right fit. 
  • @baseballismyfavoriteseason they do sag a little bit for me this early, but post 20 weeks, it was almost all I used! 
  • babyodobabyodo member
    @carrotsandpeas3 Do you ever have trouble with full-panel pants sliding down? I find that I have to keep pulling them up because they slide down so badly! But a different size didn’t seem be the right fit. 
    I noticed this, too, with all of my maternity bottoms (skinny jeans, bootcut, and shorts). I figure I'm just not big enough yet. I think it's because I'm in that weird in-between period where my regular jeans/shorts no longer fasten, but my maternity stuff is still just slightly too big. That being said, I've been living in leggings and yoga pants for this very reason, lol. I only wear jeans/shorts if I'm going somewhere, which is rare right now (maybe once per week, if that).

• @carrotsandpeas3 @babyodo I experienced it with my last pregnancy too, so I didn’t think it was a belly thing. But I have plenty of time to try again. I too have been living in leggings, and today I put on my running shorts because I can leave the waist band under my belly. As the weather continues to warm up, I am sure I will be living in these, plus my husband’s shorts when I can snag them. 
  • I love Blanqi for leggings and tanks, but they're on the expensive side. If you're planning to have more babies after this, they wear pretty well! I love ASOS as well and Beyond Yoga (Beyond the Bump). Gap has good basics like tees and tanks but I don't love their jeans. 

@coldbrew you'll have to let me know what you think- I work for SF and our maternity inventory is all over the place. I wonder if I styled you!
  • My must have so far, is transition pieces that will work just as well post birth as they do during pregnancy, I didn't have many options after my last birth and I didn't want to even look at my maternity pieces while I was grieving. I also didn't have anything early maternity appropriate so once my belly started to grow I was constantly in too small or too big clothes and I hated it. 
    This time I snagged some non maternity but bump and breastfeeding friendly dresses from Wren and Ivory and I live in them. They're so flattering and comfortable. I also really liked motherhood's shirts last time and everything I've gotten from Pink Blush is incredible, I can't recommend them enough, they have really good sales and if you get their coupon emails you can make out like a bandit. 
  • Luckily I'm a person that doesn't mind living in maxi/sundresses (NM summer is harsh), but finding bras for me has been horrible. It's fine when I'm home, but eventually I have to go back to work (I'm a therapist) and not wearing a bra is not an option. I found these at Amazon and they are the first ones I havent trashed or sent back. They are amazing and sit lower than you think they will. Also they come with extenders for the bands and are structured for shape and nursing. I started this as a 34 DD, and already am a 36 E/F (I got them in XXL and have 2 full hook sections before I need the extender) so they are big boob approved. 
    Suekaphin 5 PACK Nursing Bra Wireless Bra Women's Sleeping Maternity Bra Breastfeeding Bra
  • Super random cheap find.   I hate wearing shorts in general, I’m just not a fan of my legs but I’ve given in and realized I needed at least a pair for this summer.  I picked up a pair at Walmart in their maternity section.   They were 14.97 and fit nicely.   Plenty of stretch in the denim and in the panel as well. This is my last baby so I refuse to spend a ton of money on clothes.  
  • @anitamargarita_82 I have the same problem with shorts and I usually find them too short. 

Is anyone having problems with delivery times? I bought a bra 3 weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet, the store shipped it a couple of days later but CanadaPost hasn't done anything with the package yet. I also got some leggings and a t-shirt from Old Navy and they haven't even shipped it yet so I'm expecting to not having any clothes until June. So glad I made an early purchase at 8 weeks and got side panel pants which are the only pants I can use today.
  • @glupglup I ordered some stuff from gap like a month ago and it still hasn’t shipped. 
  • @glupglup Yes I do not want to wear booty shorts ever, but ESPECIALLY when I’m pregnant. @anitamargarita_82 Thanks for sharing—I’m going to check these out. Struggling with shorts!
  • ThredUp, I'm telling y'all.  Cheap and fast. 
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman I have tried ThredUp a couple times. About as successful as Old Navy for me... which is to say, not at all. I was bummed, because the concept is so appealing. 
  • @baseballismyfavoriteseason such a bummer!  I've been super-satisfied with all but a few pieces from them (and most of that was due to some texture issues I have, the fit was fine).
    Current pregnancy -

• When I was still REALLY early (like hadn’t even had the ultrasound confirmation appt yet), I went to my local motherhood maternity outlet store because they were going out of business. Everything was super discounted, so I ended up focusing on work pants, tops and dresses. Then COVID happened and I don’t know if I’ll even be wearing those pieces at this point since i was furloughed, haha!

my sisters friend just donated some maternity tops to me and my sister gave me some lularoe leggings and tops that I’m living in currently. Just purchased a bra and swimsuit online from motherhood maternity that should be here Friday. 
  • @amandarenee89 I did the same thing—tried to go to Motherhood before the mall shut down! Unfortunately I got there too late into the sale and all they had left was winter stuff. 🤪
  • @baseballismyfavoriteseason at least the website has sales ALL THE TIME! I got my swimsuit and bra today. Bra fits and is really comfortable! I ordered the swimsuit a size too big, so I have to go through the hassle of returning that. 
  • If you’re plus size pink blush is the way to go. They’re the only place that had a great and super stylish plus size maternity section. Everywhere else it was so limited and sad looking. Old Navy is my second favorite place, but I’m still waiting on my order. I was supposed to receive a stitch fix box back on april 7th and I’m still waiting. I’m probably going to see if I cancel it since it sounds like everything is limited. 
  • @babycakesday My April Stitch Fix was also due on the 7th or 8th and I got an email from them saying it would be delayed due to COVID, but it was only about 10 days late.  If it's this late, I'm guessing something went wrong or got lost in the mail, so I would absolutely contact them.
    Current pregnancy -

• @babycakesday @kboydbowman Mine was about 3 weeks late... I think it was supposed to come April 15th and I got it last week. I would check I with them, as it probably all depends on which location they’re sending from and where you are. 
  • @babycakesday and @baseballismyfavoriteseason I just got the shipping notification today from StitchFix for my "5/8" box.
    Current pregnancy -

• 40% off one item at PinkBlush today!
  • @kboydbowman @baseballismyfavoriteseason I have been emailing them pretty much weekly. Same update that they’re currently having delays. I wonder if it’s because it’s all plus size and maybe the plus size clothes are a little more backed up? At this point I may just cancel it and use this pink blush code for a few more items. 
  • @babycakesday That could be. Selection in my size (XL) was unavailable in maternity right now. 
  • Rena21Rena21 member
    Anyone find any awesome sleep nursing bras? I still wear the couple I have from my 1st but could definitely use an refresh. I don’t remember where the first ones were from! I find them way more comfortable than standard nursing bras.