October 2020 Moms

UO 4/24

Unpopular opinions!  Share them.

I'll go first:  I hate Taylor Swift and I think she's elitist.
Current pregnancy -
First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

Re: UO 4/24

• @kboydbowman I’m not a huge fan of her either, I just think she’s got a fake personality and wants everyone to sympathize with her first world problems. 

UO - miracle whip is 10000000x better than mayonnaise.
  • I love Taylor Swift!  Beyoncé too.  Miracle whip is disgusting.  Lady Gaga is amazing!  Sushi is gross.  

That’s about all I have 😆.  
  • Loading the player...
  • No Miracle Whip for me 🤢

I’ve never been a big Taylor Swift fan either.

Maternity pics are too AWish for me.
  • Coldplay is THE best. Can't stand pickles. Or ketchup. 🤢

TSwift is just misunderstood! 
  • -Pickles, ketchup, and sushi are all delicious. 
    -Miracle whip needs to go back to hell 
    - I’m meh about Taylor Swift and maternity photos. I did have plans to have family pictures taken in June in a field of red poppies because there are so many here in England. It would have kind of been maternity photos and I’m bummed thinking that it probably won’t happen. 

Also, reality tv is trash. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• I don't really care if other people want to do maternity photos, but I'm so practical that I couldn't see paying for maternity and then newborn photos in such a short amount of time. And of course I prioritized getting photos of my kid over photos of me pregnant. My sister got maternity photos with her first kid done and then was complaining to me that she couldn't afford newborn photos, and I was just floored. I totally judged her for not thinking ahead about that. 🤷

I'm really...uh let's call it thrifty (okay cheap) in general, so I really struggled with the cost of baby photos at first. It's not that I don't appreciate the work or craftsmanship of photographers, it just seemed like a lot of money! However, we had a friend do our wedding photos and they turned out pretty terrible in retrospect. So, I splurged on a newborn/6 mo/1 yr package with DD and I'm so glad I did. Doing the same for this one! Already booked because fall can get busy for photographers, and I didn't want to forget. (I guess that's all not an UO but the maternity photo thing made me think of it!)
  • @carrotsandpeas3 same! We regret not spending more on our wedding photos. I was kind of forced to spend a lot on NB photos because my SILs paid for our deposit ($200) as a shower gift. It ended up being the best decision ever to spend the other $600. The photos were amazing and we have used this photographer ever since. She did a free NICU shoot for DD2 and gives us the friend & family rate now 🥰
  • KurtniKurtni member
    edited April 2020
    This might be UO but I think so much maternity photography is cringey. I’m all for cute bump photos especially with family, but the trendier stuff like  the crazy flower crowns or adults in milk baths is just weird to me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Kurtni agreed. Family pics while pregnant don’t bother me but the ones you describe are AWish to me.
  • @Kurtni, I agree about the milk baths. Don’t get those at all. 
    I do love a good flowy dress and flower crown though. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• I got my maternity photos done for free by a friend and I'm happy I did. My husband has a killer camera this time around and does photos for work so he'll probably take some for me this time. 
    I regret not doing some at the hospital, I think they're called first 48? I look like hell in all the pictures my h took but I also had my son earlier than expected (+quickly)  and was a little unprepared

• It's nice to read about people's experiences with newborn photos! It's something I'd like to do but I don't have a plan yet. Not planning to get professional maternity photos but I would love to be able to get together with friends and have some spontaneous memorable photos with a big belly...

My UO, since I'm working on registry stuff, is that coordinated nurseries are a waste of time and money. They're cute and I guess I get it if you have disposable income, I guess I'm just cheap and don't see a problem with mismatched furniture and baby blankets, haha.

-amapa
  • I didn’t do maternity photos with my DD.  Just thought it was a lot of money.  But I do wish I’d done a better taking pictures.  I went into labor at 30w3d and delivered at 31.  I don’t really have any pictures from right before then and I was certainly big enough.  Wish I’d had my husband take some pictures of me with our dogs in our backyard or something.  I’m planning to do just that this time around.  Since I’ll most likely have another preemie.  
  • I think it's awkward to get any professional photos done. I HATE my wedding and engagement photos that we paid good money for so that might play a part of why we haven't really done any since. 

I don't know if this is an UO y'all tell me: 
    Nevaeh is one of the WORST names ever 

Definitely an OU
    Avocado/guacamole is nasty 
    I prefer to wear a bra versus taking it off immediately when getting home 
  • @orangev23 I don’t think it’s very common name so maybe that’s a normal opinion, but I hear it often enough to always roll my eyes. It reminds me of “virtue” names which I also hate (Destiny, Patience, etc) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • All of this talk about photos make me so thankful my boyfriend is a professional photographer. While he doesn’t do portrait photography for a living, he was taught at school. 

My UO is that I don’t like donuts. I can eat them, but I don’t enjoy them. The problem I always had was they were the go to breakfast at sleepovers or Sunday school. I usually decided it was better to starve than eat them. I think I’ve only had maybe 10 donuts my whole life, and I’m in my 30s.