December 2020 Moms
Options

High risk / complex pregnancy check in, April

Let's do one of these monthly to start, and we'll move it to weekly as things get complicated (and more people join us) towards the end - I'll post a new one in May. 

Introduce yourself below!

What brings you to this thread?
What is your plan for this pregnancy?
Anything we can help with?
GTKY - Tell us how you met your SO, if you are going through this with a partner. If not, tell us about your best friend! 

Re: High risk / complex pregnancy check in, April

• Options
    What brings you to this thread? My son (first child) was born at 26 weeks, so I had to get progesterone shots and cervical monitoring to carry my daughter to 37 weeks.  I'm also almost 39. And we had to terminate a pregnancy in the fall due to chromosomal issues that made the baby incompatible with life.

Same plan as before. Weekly shots weeks 16-36 and weekly cervical ultrasounds weeks 16-24ish.

Anything we can help with? I think I'm good, but thanks. :smile:

GTKY - Tell us how you met your SO, if you are going through this with a partner. If not, tell us about your best friend! We met on Match! We got married in September after dating almost three years.
  • Options
    jbal918jbal918 member
    edited April 2020
    — I have a kidney disease and I’m 99% sure my GD test will be positive again. I’m starting with the 3 hour one tomorrow and skipping the 1 hour 

— I’ll see the MFM, well probably video chat, soon.

— Nope but it’ll be nice to check in!

GTKY - Tell us how you met your SO, if you are going through this with a partner. If not, tell us about your best friend! 
    — DH and I met 14 years ago on a surprise blind date! We’ll be married 5 years this June!
    ETA - We met the summer before I started college! We decided when I got my first full time teaching job, that we would move out and take the next step so we were together 7 years before we moved out and got engaged and the rest is history!
    DS born 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @notvincent Hoping all stays well!
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    What brings you to this thread: I’ve had 6 early losses, one confirmed trisomy 18. I’m also 35, so geriatric I guess. 
    What is your plan for this pregnancy: I’m currently seeing an RE every week for ultrasounds and after that I have the same amazing high risk OB that safely delivered my DD.
    Anything we can help with: just glad to have an extra support system!
    GTKY: We met in middle school track and started dating senior year of high school. Married 5 years this past November! 
  • Options
     I also have Factor V. I hate the shots! But I also don’t want another blood clot. So I deal. This will hopefully be successful pregnancy #10, so that’s another high risk factor, and I’ll be 35 next month. 

My plan at this point is deciding if I should find a closer OB. Mine is 5 hours away. He’s been my dr for every pregnancy and I’m having a difficult time wanting to switch. He knows my history and I don’t want to start over. I’ll be seeing him next month for my first appointment and I guess I’ll go from there.  

Not yet. 

He’s my brother’s friend. I met him when I was 12 and I hated him.  He ended up moving away the next year, but came back the beginning of my senior year. It took him that entire year to convince me to go on a date. It was all over from there.  
  • Options
    My MFM asked me to call my OB and see if they "feel comfortable" with me. 
    The MFM is two hours away, so I am really hoping the OB says yes! That would mean less trooping back and forth. 

• Options
    My MFM asked me to call my OB and see if they "feel comfortable" with me. 
    The MFM is two hours away, so I am really hoping the OB says yes! That would mean less trooping back and forth. 
    I hope they do take you on if only for the shorter commute. 
  • Options
     I also have Factor V. I hate the shots! But I also don’t want another blood clot. So I deal. This will hopefully be successful pregnancy #10, so that’s another high risk factor, and I’ll be 35 next month. 

My plan at this point is deciding if I should find a closer OB. Mine is 5 hours away. He’s been my dr for every pregnancy and I’m having a difficult time wanting to switch. He knows my history and I don’t want to start over. I’ll be seeing him next month for my first appointment and I guess I’ll go from there.  

Not yet. 

He’s my brother’s friend. I met him when I was 12 and I hated him.  He ended up moving away the next year, but came back the beginning of my senior year. It took him that entire year to convince me to go on a date. It was all over from there.  
    The shots are awful aren’t they? They are worth it but still suck nonetheless. I’ve found that if I do them closer to my hips they don’t hurt quite as much. 
  • Options
    @mrspants0809 Me too! Plus it will be a sign I'm not *that* scary, and can maybe hope for something resembling a normal pregnancy, lol!

• Options
    @mrspants0809  Now that’s funny. I find closer to my belly button hurts less. I had to go closer to the hips once and I decided I’d never do it again. :D   I’ve hit the “don’t want to do it” stage early this time around. I stand there all ready and can’t seem to just do it. Takes a couple of minutes to talk myself into it. And even then I still take another 30 seconds of just trying to take the plunge.  Hopefully it doesn’t last long.  I swear it lasted two full months last time.  
  • Options
    @helleebellee that’s funny! I haven’t reached that point but know it’s coming. Once it does I hope it doesn’t last too long. I hope it doesn’t last too long for you this time. 
  • Options
    @the_road_to_oz   Can I ask why you haven’t had your PFO and ASD closed? I had a large PFO (I think they said 4-4.5mm) closed in 2013 and when they were in there found I also had an (multiple?- I don’t remember) ASD that they were able to cover with the umbrella closure too. 
  • Options
    @mrspants0809 they were going to, but all of my symptoms disappeared with blood thinners. I have a minor allergy to nickel, so there was talk of the noble stitch- but ultimate we decided if I can manage it with medication, I will. if that stops working we plan to do surgery. 
    The doctor put it to me basically as “either is fine, but you need to take medication everyday or get the closure... and maybe still take medication, and we can always do the surgery- we can’t undo it if you have a complication.” 
    It’s in a weird spot too- it’s like on the back side of that section of the heart. So it’s hard to see, hard to access, which I this contributed.

• Options
    @the_road_to_oz I’m glad your symptoms went away with blood thinners. And I had heard of anyone having to have the closure done on the back part before (not that I’ve spoken to many that also have ASDs and/or PFOs).  I hope they don’t cause any issues for you during your pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @mrspants0809 Last time I had minor enlargement on on side of my heart, which went away after, and tachycardiarythmia. I'm being closely monitored for both again, and have a list of interventions we'll go through. 
    I have two cardiologists, a MFM and a neurologist on my side this time. I'm feeling pretty confident about it compared to last time when I didn't even know there was something wrong, then it took weeks to figure out  what was wrong - and we didn't even totally nail down the issue until months after he was born. Brat wouldn't let them do a bubble study when he was inutero - he kept kicking it away, until finally they gave up, lol! 
    And yes, it's a totally weird spot. We could see there was an issue on a bubble, but they couldn't see the hole until I had an MRI of my heart done at Dartmouth.