Baby Names

Calling by the middle name...

We have Samuel Kash and William Bryant, all family names from great grandparents, grandparents, and parents. 

Now baby #3 is on the way so I was perusing through my husband's and my ancestry charts. I noticed that his great grandpa was James Thomas. My favorite grandpa is James and my dad was Thomas so we been thinking about using those names in some order. I'm just not sold on it though. Either way he would go by James but I think Thomas James sounds better. However, being a teacher I'm apprehensive about naming a child and calling them by their middle name.  So...

James Thomas (James for my grandpa, Thomas for my dad, and it was literally my husband's great grandpa's name)
or
Thomas James and go by James (but does it sound better? Good enough to have to go by his middle name?)

Or should we go back to the drawing board? Either way this name has to flow with Sam and Will. Does Sam, Will and James even sound ok? 

Help  :#

Re: Calling by the middle name...

• I like James Thomas! Either way would be good but if you’re planning on calling him James anyway I would just stick with that! And I think James sounds good with your other boys. 
  • Love James Thomas. 
    I think if you're going to call him James, go with that as the first name. And Sam, Will and James sound adorable together!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think if you’re going to call him James, use James as his first name. I personally prefer Sam, Will and Thomas over Sam, Will and James. I also actually prefer Thomas James to James Thomas. But either sound like strong names. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • James Thomas - it has tons of family significance and if you're planning to call him James, it's easier for him. 
  • If you’re going to call him James, just use it as the first name. And James Thomas sounds great anyway.
  • If you are going to call him James, then James should be the FN. 
  • James Thomas
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I think James Thomas flows better. 
  • I realize this is an oldish thread but both my brothers go by their middle names. And one of them goes by a nn of his middle name. 🙄 

As soon as they were out of school and entered the workforce they started going by their first names. So now they are their middle names to us and their first names to everyone else. 
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • I prefer the flow of James Thomas. 

Also consider whether your father would have his feelings hurt if he finds out his grandson is named for him, but that’s not the name he is supposed to call him. 🤔
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • My husband is William Ryan and we all call him by his middle name Ryan because his dad is William Raymond and his grandfather was William Lawrence Riley. To keep the William R going in the family, if we have a boy his name will be William Riley(coincidence it's his grandfather's name) I always loved Riley before hubby and I got together. We will be calling him Riley. Hubby uses his middle name and it's only the odd time I hear William when someone he doesn't know him. So I think it's fine to call them by their middle name.