September 2020 Moms

The Registry Thread!

Here is where we can talk all things baby registry!
STMs: What were your registry must haves? What did you register for/receive and never really use?
What would you recommend getting a lot of?
Are you registering again? What site(s) are you using?
FTMs: When are you starting your registry if you haven't already? What site(s) are you using?

Re: The Registry Thread!

• STMs: What were your registry must haves?

For Boys: pee pee teepees are a must
    I love Targets Cloud island sleepers
    White noise machine 
    Breastfriend/boppy pillow
    Bouncer
    Bassinet
    Changing pad covers and crib sheets 
    Baby bum brush

What did you register for/receive and never really use?
    Baby food processor

What would you recommend getting a lot of?

Vaseline (take to hospital and put on diaper area every change to help with those first poops)
    Burp cloths
    Baby bandannas

Are you registering again? What site(s) are you using?
    Yes! Babylists this time. I just have a few things I’d like to get more of. A new bassinet, wash cloths, baby bandannas, nursing tops, and more of the cloud island sleepers from target. 
  • linz36linz36 member
    edited March 2020
    Must Haves:
    waterproof changing pad liners (very necessary for the first 3-6 months, it will save surfaces from disaster!)
    burp clothes, 100% the most versatile thing ever
    waterproof mattress covers 
    sleepers that zip from the top down to the foot (great for middle of the night diaper changes so baby doesn't get too cold)
    halo swaddle sleep sacks, then I upgraded to the gunamuna sleep sacks
    soft wash cloths (bamboo were my favorite...so gentle)
    diaper rash cream (I alternate between burts bees and desitin if it gets worse)
    nose frida (once you get the hang of it this thing is awesome...need to use it with boogy spray)
    bottle warmer 
    baby food steamer and processor (I still use it for my 17mo twins; but it was great when they were little)
    tummy time mats with toys attached, mirrors etc
    bouncer seat
    BABY SWING!!!!!!!
    walker (we had the joovys and loved them)
    boon drying rack...I love this thing and still use it for all the kiddos stuff
    wubbanubs...my kids still love them

What didn't I use: I went through 5 different bath seats before I found a few I liked; it's really trial and error and likely kiddo dependent

I probably won't register this time...unless it's just for diapers lol

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • @linz36 great list and I second a lot of those items. Especially the changing pad liners and the nose frida. 

I’m definitely not registering this time around. Hoping to be able To use a lot of our stuff the second time around. Would love it if people want to buy us diapers though   :) 

one thing that we really loved was our diaper caddy. Something that contains a place for diapers, wipes, and other things like cream. It’s meant to be able to carry from room to room but we never did. It was just nice to have everything all in one place and always know where it is. Plus it fit so nicely next to our changing table. We got ours from baby’s r us so don’t have a link for it. But there are tons to choose from on amazon. 
  • Must have:

• Bassinet that can pull up to the side of the bed (to avoid having to walk in the MOTN)
    • Zippered sleepers only! Buttons are such a pain. I had a few and we never used them. 
    • Aden and Anais Muslin Swaddles (and look up the Happiest Baby on the Block Swaddle technique). 
    • Merlin's Magic Suit worked for us for when Liam was transitioning from the swaddle and then a Zipadee Zip when he was ready to transition from the Suit, but all babies are so different when it comes to prefered way to sleep, that I would definitely try to borrow or find used before you spend a bunch of money on different sleep solutions. 
    • White Noise Machine (we got the Hatch Baby, but totally could've went with something cheaper). 
    • Blackout curtains
    • Soft wrap carrier (I loved my Solly)
    • Boon drying rack. I use it all the time. 
    • Boppy Pillow. 
    • Bouncer. 
     What I registered for and didn't really use:
    • A Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammock
    • A butt load of microwave steralizer bags. I just use the dishwasher most of the time. 
    I will be registering again, but it's more so that I can keep a running list of what we need and get the completion discount. 

Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• STMs: What were your registry must haves? Pack and play
    stroller /car seat combo
    boon drying rack
    nose frida
    diapers
    wipes
    burp cloths
    muslin swaddles

for breastfeeding:
    I used both the breastfriend and boppy pillows. With a long torso I stacked them to alleviate horrible back pain from slouching

Reusable bamboo breast pads for all the leaking
    haaka! Best thing ever to catch excess milk
    Nursing tanks and bras

got WAY too much clothing. I didn’t register for any lol

Are you registering again? What site(s) are you using? Yes - Amazon and buy buy baby
  • We chose to wait until at our shower to find out the sex of our first baby. This was strategic after going to multiple showers and seeing the mothers that had announce the sex get 95% 0-3mo clothes and very little useful items especially if it was going to be a little girl. I then went to a shower that had a reveal at the end and she received every single thing she needed. The only items she needed to buy were clothes and I wanted that.

Must haves: 
    • White noise machines (we have 2 Dohm and one Hushh and if they were to die I would purchase them again)
    • Burp cloths (we used Gerber cloth diapers because the are super absorbent, easy to clean, and came in large packs. I would buy as many has you think you need and then buy like 12 more. They have so many uses!)
    • Swing
    • Car Seat (If I did it again I would have registered for the convertible and purchased the bucket seat myself or registered for them both)
    • Stroller (An souped up umbrella stroller that accepts a bucket seat is my fav. Something that can be thrown in the trunk with one hand)
    • Velcro swaddles
    • Sleep suit (We loved this brand and my kids wore them through the winter until they would stay under covers. We had a thick one for winter and a thinner one for summer.)
    • Video Monitor (We did not have one with my first, but got one with our second. I found it most useful after the age of 1. Also if you do not have an open concept house or plan to have kids close together, get a monitor that has multiple cameras and a split screen. Get all the cameras you need at the same time because many brands discontinue models every year. We have 4 cameras and can see all at once which is great because they are NEVER in the same room as me. We have 2 in bedrooms, 1 in living room, and 1 in basement playroom. This way I can cook dinner and still know who punched who.)
    • Toys (This car was an early hit and continues to get love. And my second LOVED the Around We Go we got for him.)
    • Pacifiers (My boys liked MAM despite me wanting them to like the adorable Wubbanubs I bought)
    • Water proof mattress covers and sheets (have at least 3 of each)
    • Changing pad liners (They can be used to travel with or to protect your changing pad and cover. It is amazing how many of these you can go through in one day.)
    • Glider (We purchased one that went well with the rest of our home since it will be used as a regular chair in our living room once this baby gets a twin bed at around 2.) 
    • High Chair (We had this chair and I loved that the tray came off for washing and that it reclined a good deal so its life span started a lot earlier. We did not use it as a booster and opted for a lower profile one.)
    • Bibs (During breast/formula feeding these were the best. Once they start with food these are my hands down favorite and are still in use 4 years later. They save so many outfits and you can just wipe off and go. No adding laundry to the pile.)
    • Baby Bath (We had this sponge for the very early days and then transitioned to this seat until baby could sit up.)
    • Thermometer
    • Diaper Pail
    • Car mirror
    • Bottle Brush
    • Bottles (We used Dr Brown, but I know some babies are very fussy and it takes some trial and error to find what works best. So it might be useful to register for a small set of a few types.)
    • Boppy Pillow (Although breastfeeding was a bust this item was very useful for tummy time and head control practice)
    Didn't Use: 
    • Glider Ottoman (I purchased the matching gliding ottoman for my glider. Little did I know trying to rock with a rocking ottoman was a full on ab workout that I was not in shape for. A stationary ottoman or puff would have worked far better. Our ottoman was pushed to the side of the room and went unused after a couple months.)
    • Pee Pee Teepee (just threw a wipe on top when doing the diaper change)
    • Wipe Warmer
    • Small travel bassinet (we didn't go anywhere)
    • Many of my "cute" diaper bags and H's tactical (but horribly laid out) diaper bag
    • The HUGE stack of hand made blankets.
    • Bottle part holders for the dishwasher (I didn't like the level of clean our dishwasher got our bottles, so we hand washed them.)
    Maybe Items (we loved but not everyone would need): 
    • Scale (Breastfeeding failed twice for us and being able to monitor weight gain at home helped my anxiety slightly. The infant tray comes off this scale and they can stand on it once they are able.)
    • Baby Breeza (When breastfeeding failed the first time as a consolation present I purchased this for myself. It was arguably my husband, mother, and my favorite and most used baby item during the first year. We have used it for 2 babies and hope to use it again for this baby. If for some reason it did not make it in storage I will be purchasing a new one because it was just fantastic.)
    • Regular steamer and food processor (If you want to attempt to make some or all of your baby food doing so with a non-baby branded product was cheaper, allowed for a larger capacity, and was more universally useful in the kitchen.)
    I plan on registering at Target and Amazon to get the discounts and freebies, but will be doing all the purchasing myself. No one except maybe my mom will know about the registry. It will be to replenish some items like bottles, burp clothes, pacifiers and to get some new aesthetic items like sheets and changing pad covers. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited March 2020
    I love y’all thank you 🤍🤍🤍

I haven’t started mine yet but I will be using babylist. I can put things from amazon on there? If not I’ll probably make an Amazon one too. I took a “quiz” on babylist that gives recommendations on things it thinks I will need. But it’s great to have real life advice from everyone here. H says I’m going to be that mom that needs one of everything and I told him no but he’s probably kind of right 😂 he helps me have restraint though.
  • @greyl you can make an amazon list and have it link to baby list. 
  • What is everyone’s thoughts on car seat covers? I didn’t really use it for my oldest but with all the craziness of sickness I’m wondering if I should invest. 

What kind did you all like? 
  • @ktholysz We have a shower cap style cover by JJ Cole for warmth since my first was born at the end of summer and we are in MI and we liked it. In the warmer months I just used a thin swaddle blanket draped over the top.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @ktholysz a car seat cover is something I wish we had with our first, especially when they were napping and we were out in the stroller. I now have a used one that is minky fabric on the one side which was too warm for my March baby by the time it was summer, but should be perfect for this September babe

I'm registering again. I'm using babylist, but I'm linking Amazon and Target to it to get all the sample boxes! Things I definitely want this time

Ikea changing table- we changed all diapers in the floor (and still do) but it would be nice not to bend over and get up and down especially pp

More washcloths- these disappear around here

More newborn cloth diaper covers- we like flats here, but we used periods prefolds during the newborn period last time. Either way, we only had one cover for outings, but I definitely want more. We've embraced covers as we've been able to afford extra diapers

Snappis- if you cloth diaper and use snappis, they will break and get lost, so ask for more than you think

My breastfriend nursing pillow- the boppy didn't do it for me and I wished I had something like this

If you are registering for the first time or don't have one my #1 newborn must have is the Boppy Newborn Lounger. I love that thing! 
  • @ktholysz I’m definitely going to get one most likely. Especially with everything right now. And I don’t want people coming up super close to the baby. I’ve also seen people put little signs on the car seat that say not to touch.
  • @ktholysz I’m going to buy the milk snob brand cover. Looks awesome ! 
  • I totally recommend the milk snob cover. It is also a great nursing cover.
  • What were your registry must haves?
    I agree with a lot that has been shared!

*sound machine is a MUST. We got this one 

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Nursery-Projector-Machine-Nightlight/dp/B07KKZ1JFF/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sound+machine+munchkin&qid=1585929181&sr=8-3

it didn’t last a full year but the company sent us a new one when it stopped working! They say it’s not meant to run all night but we do. We don’t use the night light or projector (we use blackout curtains, another necessity for our family) but my son loves the projector as a fun activity during the day!

*lots of burp cloths! I have ones from carter’s that I like and am looking to get some organic Burt’s bees ones this time too. Wash cloths and drool bibs are nice to have lots of early on too. For when DS got older we got these towel material bibs from Target that pull over the head because he’d actually keep them on and we can just throw them in the wash nice and easy! 

*my son did best with Dr. Brown bottles because he was really gassy and they seemed to help so I recommend trying them if your baby has any gas struggles

*our pack and play with just the basic bassinet level attachment has served us well and continues to for travel. This time around since I plan to nurse I’ll start baby off in a bassinet since a pack and play won’t fit on my side of the bed. But when baby outgrows that we will use the pack and play again in our room until time for crib in nursery. We had borrowed a friends fancy p and p with all the attachments in the beginning and didn’t find it worth all the extra money since DS outgrew the tiny bassinet part super quick and the diaper changing part was unnecessary. 

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Pack-Play-Playard-Pasadena/dp/B00PTL3TOO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=graco%2Bpack%2Band%2Bplay&qid=1585929457&sprefix=graco%2Bpack%2Bqnd%2B&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

*agree with zipper sleepers! As cute as some snap ones are they aren’t worth the effort!
    we love carter’s sleepers they seem to fit our son really well and last long. I also want to try some l’oved baby ones this time around in the early sizes bc they have the mitten cuffs which i LOVED outfits that came with those when you can’t cut their nails yet 

*nose frida is worlds better than those bulb syringes for nasty colds! DS hates it BUT it really clears him out which helps him sleep better! 

*This toy is very versatile and DS loves it! They can use it as a push toy at first when learning to walk then later on sit on it and ride on it and also bounce on it which he loves! It sings fun songs and even speaks English and some Spanish! 
    *we had this activity mat and DS loved it, it looks adorable in his nursery and he still loves to sit in it 

I plan to keep this one in his room for when we are in there so I want another one for the basement playroom and am thinking of registering for the lovevery play gym!

*we also have a skip hop reversible mat in DS’s room as a rug since we have hardwood. It’s super cute and more padding than a lot of rugs and easier to clean! 

*teether toys are a must and during teething are like the main toys DS played with as a baby! He loved this bear from amazon. Also Sophie. (Side note- I fell victim to the fear hype about Sophie mold even though we followed instructions and never submerged in water and lets just say I unnecessary murdered poor Sophie- their was no mold and now that DS is teething again I miss her lol so I will be registering for Sophie again.)Also the banana toothbrush you see everywhere was great. 

So we didn’t really “register” in the sense of having a baby shower. Our DS’s adoption wasn’t finalized until he was 13 months so we did a big adoption party/first birthday and registered for toddler gifts for him. But I had a babylist for him as a baby that we used to save stuff we wanted to buy him and family and close friends bought or lent us what we needed and we replaced borrowed things as we were able. So I didn’t really get unnecessary stuff much! Although we did buy a bottle warmer which turned out not to be needed for us bc DS drank his bottles straight from the fridge. He has always been a hungry hungry boy and wants his food ASAP no waiting for warming lol 

Are you registering again? What site(s) are you using? Doing baby list again because my mom wants to have a baby shower since this is my first successful pregnancy. We won’t need a ton but I’m sure I’ll come up with ideas! Stuff we want more of, didn’t get before but would like, stuff to replace like binkies and teethers, and if it’s a girl then clothes haha 
  • I forgot about blackout. With my first it wasn’t necessary but with my second it was so we got these for the windows and it makes it jet black in the room. https://blackoutez.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VUL_BsNFjxsk8IDaU-abzUog83XOUSemao7ufxBZXKah7qap5mEB6hoCxV0QAvD_BwE
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • I have only one recommendation. Get a high chair that has absolutely no lining or cloth bits whatsoever.  Those things get DISGUSTING.  I had the $20 plastic one from Ikea for my 3rd baby and it was a dream come true. 
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • @dontcallmeshirley1 yes! I had such trouble deciding what chair to get and I wish we would have thought about that. High chairs get so gross so easy. 
  • Could have written the exact list @cabearit wrote.

I think must haves are covered, but what we got/heard people tell us was necessary that we never used or wish we hadn't:
    -pee pee teepees - you can use anything else and save the drama and money
    -bottle warmer - it was put to me this way: are you going to warm every bottle? No, so then don't even start.
    -snoofy bee (diaper changing entertainment system) - made my little one even more ornery and was such a hassle
    -burp cloths - I know some people love these, but our little one wasn't a spitter-upper, like ever, so we got a gigantic pile we never touched (not that you'd know your baby doesn't spit up before they're born, just saying you might not need a mountain like we had.)
    -expensive monitor - we bought the fanciest VTech monitor we could find, and it died around 11 months and we bought a cheapo off Amazon to get it ASAP and LOVE IT. Tenker. We even bought this one again when the dog ate it. Inexpensive (though the price went up since we bought it the first time) and SO much better than our fancy VTech one.
  • @jayandaplus Agreed that you don't know if your baby is a spitter until after they're born. I had two reflux babies who spit up CONSTANTLY, and I used bibs more than burp cloths.
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • Did y’all register for older baby/toddler items as well? Babylist gave me “suggested” registry items and there were bath toys, toys, and bigger clothes on there. I just feel like that stuff I’ll buy as I need it but then I think it would be nice to have a start on that stuff. I just don’t want to have to worry about storing a lot since I will be moving probably a couple of times. 
  • @greyl I’d for sure get stuff up to like 6 months so some toys they can play with on their tummy and 6 month clothes will take you close to spring. My son grew pretty quick and was in 6-9 in spring. 
  • @greyl IMO anything for use the first year are perfect to add to a registry. Definitely bath toys and bubble bath. They were getting frequent use as early as 6 mo when I started sticking DS2 in a laundry hamper to bath with his brother. Doorway jumpers, kid utensils, and diapers and clothes up to big sizes are all fair game. Push behind carts even. We were using them at about 9-10mo.  
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • 100% bigger clothes too. People LOVE buying all the itty bitty cute clothes so it's good to remind them that they can also buy larger or else you're going to wind up with enough clothes that you'll have to change kiddo like 3 times a day to get them to wear it all lol
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • My registry looks so boyish right now. My favorite color is grey so that’s the majority of things. If we have a girl I’ll have to try to find some sort of color but I much prefer neutral/monotone. 
  • The majority of my things are grey too!! I think it makes for a pretty neutral color (^^)
  • @greyl and @raesky1111 just add a bow on the baby’s head and lots of neutral clothes are girly lol. I love baby bows! 
  • @ktholysz true!! I figure my wardrobe is predominantly grey so my kids might as well be too 😂
  • Grey is my favorite too! I like a fairly neutral nursery And wardrobe because it makes it way easier to update it as your kiddo figures out his or her own interests.