August 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Newborn Apparel

We are almost caught up! We'll be back to the normal schedule on Friday  :)

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we are discussing Newborn Apparel. 

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Newborn Apparel

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You definitely do NOT need baby sunglasses.  Even my almost 1yo just wanted to take them off and chew them, and with the sunglass holder, she just got frustrated that she couldn't easily pull them off.  I had some kind of hat with a chin tie I put on her for hikes at almost 1, but when they are nb they will just be totally covered up, even if it's just with a swaddle blanket thrown over the car seat / stroller.
  • Options
    charhar0820charhar0820 member
    edited March 2020
    I came across this article a while back and saved it! It seemed it could come in handy 😀

From The Bump: "How to Buy Baby Clothes" https://www.thebump.com/a/how-to-buy-baby-clothes
  • Options
    Speaking of things to sleep in, any suggestions for an extra-super light, breathable swaddle? Our hottest day last summer was August 31 and we don’t have AC, so I’ve been a little anxious about whether to try to swaddle early on, what to do if it’s 80 degrees in our house at night and they don’t sleep well without one, how I’m going to sleep myself if I’m worried about overheating a baby...
  • Options
    This thread!!!  Thanks @rivercitynik for getting us caught up and jumping off with all the great questions, as usual!!  

I'm so curious about sleeping.  We plan to keep it a bit warmer in the house for baby, but do you still swaddle them to sleep?  Or just a sleep sack type over a onesie? 

To provide some extra warmth with easy access to diaper changes, I found these baby leggings

www.babyleggings.com  currently promo for 40% off.  I had a gift card from motherhood with a recent order.  I received them and they are so adorable.

Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • Options
    I’m loving the advice in this thread. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Lol I brought DD home in a footless zip pj and no socks, and I look at the picture now, and I'm like, why did I do that??? 🤔 But it was obviously not cold or anything and her toes look adorable so 🤷 @roo_baby
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Turns out, our favorite nb pants actually have the feet built right in, which is perfect bc it won't even be cold yet for a while, so two less tiny articles of clothing to worry about 👍👍 And then if it IS cold, you can layer socks underneath.

I bought like ten nb / 3m kimono tees to later underneath the longsleeves.  If it's warm enough, you can just do the tee and the diaper and you don't have to mess around with snaps.  And when it starts getting cooler, you have an automatic base layer.  They say if it's at all chilly, you want baby to always have one more layer on than yourself, so that always seemed like a simple common-sense guideline to me.
  • Options
    I personally loved carters onesies for undershirts. I did not care for Gerber. I found them cheap. 
    I would say at least 10 pairs of pajamas is good. I mostly kept her in a pair of pajamas unless going out and I didn’t want to do laundry all the time. 

I never did a onesie under a pajama deal but we also used a swaddle which was warm enough. My daughter was a pretty content baby in terms of warmth. She wasn’t hot or cold and those two things were sufficient in an air conditioned house.

TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    @RedBaramid DD will still rip her socks off if she doesn't have shoes on over, no matter how cold the house is!  Have I stopped trying!???  You bet. ;)
  • Options
    I LOVE the Cloud Line brand of clothing at Target. Those clothes are soooooo soft and they hold up great. I plan on having some footie onesies to put baby in. We live in the South and August is basically the seventh level of hell here so we will have the AC cranking. Both my other boys ran hot as newborns. Ds1 preferred to be in just his diaper and he was born in February. Ds2 preferred just a simple onesie and he was born in October. To this day, neither boy likes clothes or to be covered up despite how cold it is outside. 

I agree with @RedBaramid, you will know your baby best. Politely smile and do you. 

Keep the tags on your clothes and wash as you go, because there will always be clothes you dont use or you will get multiples of the same outfit. 

Also, you dont have to have a special washing detergent just to wash baby clothes in. Start out with what you use for your clothes and only switch if baby reacts. I've never used a special detergent and my kiddos have never had a reaction. 
  • Options
    Exactly what I mean @businesswife! Light weight pants are needed even in summer. Onesies are needed at every season. But fleece and winter weight sweaters aren’t. Shorts aren’t. I know it won’t apply to everyone but it was definitely a lesson I learned the hard way 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    Has anyone ordered from or used BabyLeggings? 
    Thoughts?
    I was thinking I’d would maybe use those more with a onesie rather than with actual pants on baby while we’re in the middle of summer. Just trying to decide if I should order from BabyLeggings.com or if there’s a better place to purchase baby leg warmers. 
  • Options
    ziggymama06ziggymama06 member
    edited April 2020
    @charhar0820 I received a giftcard from Motherhood and purchased a few pairs to use when baby arrives. I figured they would be easier than having pants - easier access to the diaper when wearing with a onesie.  They came in and are adorable.  I can't wait to put them on baby girl 🥰
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Options
    Maybe this is old news to most on here, but I just discovered that H&M has adorable baby clothes and the prices are really reasonable.  I haven't ordered any, so I can't speak to the quality, but the styles are super cute.  Has anyone ordered any H&M baby clothes?
  • Options
    coldlifecoldlife member
    edited April 2020
    Ordered? No. But I do have one H&M onesie I received second hand. I have to say, as far as the actual material, it's my absolute favorite onesie we own. It hasn't gotten stretched out even with being second hand and two kids wearing it (unlike, say, Carter's). I have other brands that don't stretch out, but they aren't as stretchy either. H&M seems to be a unicorn that is soft and stretchy but doesn't stretch out, and it just feels high quality. 

It is older. Again, I got it second hand and that was three years ago now, so things could have changed with their manufacturing.
  • Options
    @whl1013 I have purchased baby clothes and toddler clothes from H&M, as gifts. Their baby clothing can be so freakin adorable lol The quality of the clothes to me seemed great, reasonably priced as well! I haven’t personally used their clothing (ftm) but I will be buying from there. 
    Thanks for the reminder 😆
  • Options
    cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited April 2020
    I agree with @sarah0985. I wouldn’t by too much other than basics in bigger sizes (sleepsuits, vests, socks) because it is so difficult to predict what you will need when. My son was 9lb2oz at birth so went straight into 0-1m or 0-3m and grew out of everything very quickly but then between 4m and 8m he struggled to put on weight and ended up fitting in his 6-9 month clothes for about 5months and now at 18m he's tall so grows out of everything quickly again. I ended up getting given a lot of second hand stuff that I didn't use because it was for the wrong season too.

• Options
    H&M baby clothes quality is generally good, especially their conscious line. Some of the super cheap clothes ($4.99 toddler dresses) are lower quality, but great for daycare. I really like their nursing tanks, too, if you are ordering from there anyway.  
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I was pretty happy with everything I got from h&m too.  Our little Pooh onesie / pants / hat set is definitely a fave!  And some of the other onesies I remember feeling very nice, too, and wishing I had more of.  Very cute sweaters and things.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about were these socks, I got two sets because I liked the colours, but the ankles were very loose and flopsy and NEVER stayed on.  I loved the nb socks I found on Amazon tho, and have bought those as gifts for other new moms, bc they feel super plush and actually say on! 😲
  • Options
    @BusinessWife Would you mind sharing the link for the nb socks on Amazon?
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Options
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T9T9LPI?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I had a pack of white, and then pink/white combo, and 12 pairs was plenty! @ziggymama06
  • Options
    @BusinessWife Sweet, thank you!!
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!