October 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @angela444 I waited a little longer with my first and then just bought two regular bras a cup size up and some band expanders. I don't even know what qualifies as a maternity bra, but regular with band expanders to change band size over time worked fine for me. I tried to minimize the number of strictly maternity focused stuff I bought as there's such a limited time you use them. I'm still in my regular bras now at 9 weeks, but will probably go up to my next cup size bras in the next month.
  • AB518AB518 member
    @angela444  I don't know what other people did, but I didn't buy any maternity specific bras with my other pregnancy.  I eventually bought nursing bras after baby was born which probably would have been comfortable during pregnancy.  During my other pregnancy, I started wearing bras without any underwire because I thought they felt more comfortable.  I did eventually have to buy bras that were one cup size up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also started wearing bras without underwire because the underwire became so uncomfortable and I bought nursing bras once the baby was born. I had to buy bras a few sizes up. I just bought some cheap nursing bras off amazon, but I might invest in a couple nicer ones this time because I need some new ones. 
  • edited March 2020
    Should my husband come to my first ob appointment? I don't know if there will be an ultrasound that day, or anything else. I guess I'm just feeling a little alone in all of this, with the current world situation. And husband says he's too busy at work, not sure if he can come. I know 100% that if he asked his boss, his boss would tell him to go with me. I don't want him to miss anything, and I want him involved. This is our first pregnancy.
    Edit to say: if I make a big deal if it, he will come. But I don't want to make a big deal of it if there's no reason for him to come.
  • AB518AB518 member
    @peanutorcookie  It might be worth calling your OB's office to find out if they usually do an ultrasound at your first appointment.  My OB always does an ultrasound at the first appointment but not every OB does.  It is really special when you see your baby on ultrasound for the first time; it would be a good experience to share with your husband.  One of my favorite moments for both of my pregnancies was seeing the heartbeat for the first time.  My husband has never gone to any of my appointments.  One day after having DS, I asked him why.  He said that I never made it a big deal, so he didn't think he should go.  It never bothered me that he didn't go to any of my appointments, but I do feel like he missed out on some special moments.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @peanutorcookie My OB does an ultrasound at the first appointment but everyone does it differently. 
    My office contacted me last week and said that no one is allowed at any appointments aside from the patient. So you might want to find out what the office is doing in regards to COVID-19 before making a big deal about the appointment to your H. 
  • @dogmomnowbabymom ovarian cysts are perfectly normal during pregnancy, up to 10 cm. So they might want to watch that 9 cm one but it should be fine. It’s normal for a cyst to develop where the egg ruptured from. 
    If you develop sudden excruciating pain on the side of the cyst, call your OB ASAP since the biggest risk with large cysts is ovarian torsion. But the cyst should shrink as the corpus luetum stops making progesterone and the placenta takes over
  • Ovarian cysts are usually normal. If they weren't concerned I wouldn't be either. I have one too this time. Not sure the size.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • @AB518, @calliah thanks for the responses! Got word from my ob office that they firmly *might* do a US but also that no visitors are allowed due to cv19, so that settles that. They also did say that they will let me FaceTime him during, if I want and they usually don't allow that.
  • Did anyone do a gender reveal after getting their NIPT results? Trying to figure out there’s a way to keep the gender a secret from me so my friend can make us a cake. Also how long did it take for the results to come back? 
  • AB518AB518 member
    @babycakesday  My OB office gave me the option of finding out the baby's sex from the NIPT results either over the phone, by email, or by picking up an envelope with the result from their office.  I got my NIPT results back after 6 days this time; during my prior pregnancy, the NIPT results took about two weeks.  I didn't do a gender reveal; I just told everyone right away.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @babycakesday mine took 6 days this time, 5 days last time. I asked the OB to not release the report, but she knows and could tell us at anytime. Last time we gave my friend the password to the report and she called the bakery at our grocery store. We picked red velvet cake for boy (which is what it was!) and carrot cake for a girl and we had a private gender reveal for the 2 of us that night :)

I'm currently debating if I want to find out or not but my husband for sure won't!  
  • Thank you! My appt is tomorrow so I’ll have to ask her. 
    @morethanamama I didn’t find out with DD and it was the best. It was such a nice surprise to look forward to during labor. 
  • Has anyone had a placenta previa that resolved later on in the pregnancy? That was the only bummer at my appointment yesterday. The OB was frankly mad at the technician for even bringing it up, she told me to forget about it and that at this stage it's clinically unimportant especially because I haven't had any bleeding at all. But of course now that the info is out in the open I am thinking about it...
  • @morethanamama My best friend did. When she went for anatomy scan it had moved. I will say that since there’s no bleeding that’s a good sign. Another mom in our stroller group said that was the biggest sign when she had it. Everything made her bleed. She had to stop working out with us and just take it easy. Keep your head up, it’ll probably take care of itself. 
  • Thanks @babycakesday. I think I'm gonna file it in the back of my mind until later. Hopefully it moves in the next few weeks!
  • @morethanamama I had it early with two of my pregnancies and it completely resolved by probably...20-24 weeks I want to say. 
  • @morethanamama you’re about 12 weeks? Seriously try not to worry about it. As a technologist we report what we see but at 12 weeks it really doesn’t matter. Odds are definitely in your favor that it will be totally fine at your 20 week scan. 
  • I'm not sure if this belongs in the question thread or not, I don't think there's a symptom thread anymore, but is anyone else dealing with passing out or almost passing out, particularly in the shower or after exercise? 
    It's really annoying. I've been thinking about  getting a blood sugar monitor so I can see if it's really low when I have an episode or whether its just normal dizziness etc from the shower or something.

• @kalesix3 dizziness is a known symptom, particularly in early second trimester.  May not be a blood sugar thing, although it can't hurt to monitor it.  Make sure you're staying hydrated.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kalesix3 I had really bad dizziness with my last pregnancy from late first tri until I gave birth, and it's started for me again this week at 12 weeks. 🙄 I checked my blood pressure when it was happening last time thinking maybe it was low, but it wasn't. I don't think it was blood sugar necessarily (although my blood sugar was like 58 after my one hour glucose test last time), but I did find that a high protein breakfast helped some. I switched to showering at night too bc it was always the worst in the morning and I was sick of half passing out in the shower.
  • I had the same thing with my first pregnancy. So far it’s been okay this time. I always made sure to eat a snack about an hour before working out and that helped me somewhat. Lots of water. 
  • Thanks guys! 
    I wanted to ask my providers too but they're discouraging all calls for any reason and my next appointment isn't until the 28th. 
    The worst episode I had was yesterday after I did a workout class, I was and I always do take water breaks because I get dehydrated normally really easily and I hate the headaches. So I had been drinking a lot, and I have lightshow electrolytes that I add to my water during my workouts to hydrate me better.. that's all I can think to do but I will say it doesn't feel like dizziness... It's this rushing feeling in my head and my eyesight gets bad and my hearing goes all tunnel-y. When that happens I stop doing whatever I'm doing and lay under a fan and most times it stops me from actually passing out, though it will still happen.. 
    I don't seem to have typical blood sugar issue symptoms, but my BP after my workout was 105/60 which is pretty normal for me so blood sugar was the only thing I could think of. I'll try eating protein before my workouts, and I'll try to see if I can find something that helps me not pass out in the shower, it doesn't matter what time of day it is for me so far :/ 
    Also it sucks some of you are going through the same sucky thing, thank you for all your help and tips, it's nice to know I'm not a complete freak of nature lol 
  • I’m trying to decide how to handle bedrooms. Our room has a door that connects to Patrick’s (3yo) room- it was so convenient as as a nursery. Our third bedroom is upstairs, and so is the playroom. The room upstairs is a lot smaller than Patrick’s current room. I’m trying to decide if I make that a nursery because it’s smaller and quiet, or move Patrick to have the nursery connected to ours. I feel bad because Patrick really loves his room. If I move his bedroom upstairs, he won’t really have any play area on the main floor. But maybe having a smaller room doesn’t matter since it’s right across from his playroom? The idea of being able to send Pat/his cousins upstairs to play  when I’m nursing or trying to put baby down for a nap sounds appealing though. 

I’m not going to change anything until after we make it through second tri, but I think if I do move him upstairs I should do it before baby is born, so he doesn’t feel kicked out?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I moved DD out of our nursery last year when she turned 3. The room is smaller but she has the play room area in the landing. I made a huge deal about it for weeks. Saying it was her big girl room and how proud I was of her for being old enough to move. I’d definitely do it before the baby comes so he has time to adjust. The first few nights she woke up and came downstairs in the middle of the night, but then it was smooth sailing. 
  • I have a question! Have any of you guys experienced vaginal pressure at 14 weeks? I mostly get it when I'm really active and it goes away once I rest. I called my ob to express my concerns about an incompetent cervix and she thinks it's just my uterus growing and stretching. I am getting it checked at my next appointment. I just wanted to know if anyone else has felt this??
  • @kalesix3 that’s absolutely terrible that they’re discouraging calls! They should be encouraging the opposite with any concerns.
  • @coldbrew I agree, I think it's ridiculous too. 
    I'm hoping my appointment next week goes better, I'm starting to get really discouraged about this BC, I'm hoping it's just Covid making them negligent and they're actually awesome :( 
  • Has anyone done the "carrier screening" prenatal test? I didn't even think about requesting it when they gave me the NIPT forms but my doctor said it's nice to have because a lot of those issues you may carry are actually treatable if you know that they baby has it. I feel like healthcare is such a scam that I don't know who to trust and who does things for money! 
  • @morethanamama during my last pregnancy I was screened for pretty much everything after my NIPT came back saying there was a very high likely hood my daughter had turners syndrome.  I’m guessing that’s probably similar to what you’re asking about. I have my NT scan, NIPT, and meeting with a prenatal doctor tomorrow but the genetics team called yesterday to ask questions about my daughter and discuss all of the testing I’d done last time.   
  • @morethanamama - my NIPT results also screened for Klinefelter/Turner syndrome, in addition to trisomy 21/18/13, as well. I have another blood draw on May 5th for MSAFP. I think my OB put me in for that since I'm over 35, so if you're not high risk or AMA then you may need to ask for it.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• @morethanamama they offered it to me but explained that it has a tendency to cause unnecessary stress. If you’re a carrier YH would also have to be, so then you have to wait them him to be tested. And even then there’s only a chance they baby will have the condition. Most things are screened for at birth or would be tested for if there was a concern anyway so I’d rather wait. If you have a family history of something (like CF for example) then it might be different. 
  • @coldbrew that's exactly my thought. It screens for 300 things, I don't even know what most of them are!I don't have any history whatsoever, and then what, do we test my husband too? But then I'm also thinking it might be good to do since if they do find something then my son could be tested? It is stressful, but on the other hand, knowing now that he and baby could develop conditions that we could treat because they become potentially life threatening could be a good thing? Ugh so much to consider
  • @morethanamama my ob recommended carrier screening about 2 years ago before we started TTC. I did it because MH is adopted, so we know next to nothing about his genetics. If I had been a carrier for any of the things they were testing, then we would have had MH tested, too.
  • @leighanne2020 I’ve been having that. I described it as feeling like the day after having painful or rough sex lol
  • @morethanamama I did the carrier screening. It came back saying I’m a carrier for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. My husband got the test done last week and we’re  waiting for results. If he’s a carrier for that too, there’s a 25% chance that any kid we have together would have it. It can be pretty severe. I guess it depends what happens on whether I’ll be glad we did it or not haha. Right now I think it’s good knowledge to have
  • Thanks @psmk521 that's good perspective. Wouldn't they just test the baby? I'm kind of confused about the process once I get results.  I'm already pregnant so I don't think that my husband being a carrier would change anything about this pregnancy but to be honest I have no idea about the severity of some of these conditions😑 also didn't do the math when you shared the test results that this was the screening you had done, I should have asked!
  • I have a question, beauties! So yesterday I had my first OB appointment (at what I thought was 14wks). They kept cancelling my appts for some reason, however when I seen my doctor she said I was actually further along, around 16 weeks (I got a sono also). All of a sudden, I started bleeding a few hours after I got home! It was enough to cover a liner and go through my shorts a bit but it didn't continue, just one gush, as I call them. The doctor said because of covid19 to just rest and not go to the hospital since I had no pain whatsoever. But then at 3am I bled again a little less, and this morning again even less. Is this normal at 16 weeks!? My doctor still has not returned my call today and I'm trying to stay calm. 
  • @quirkymia Did she do a vaginal ultrasound that day? That can cause light bleeding. Bleeding isn’t “normal” per se but there are a lot of causes that can be benign and have nothing to do with miscarriage. Hopefully you hear back from the Dr today! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @quirkyymia could be a subchorionic hematoma.  I had one about a month ago, scared the hell out of me.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.