November 2020 Moms

March FTM (First Time Mom) Check-in

Who is also doing this for the first time?! We’ve gotta have some questions and a place to vent. Let's do it here! 

How far along are you? 

Any thoughts you want to share? Worries?

Re: March FTM (First Time Mom) Check-in

• Good morning! First timer here with an EDD of 11/11 (5W today)! I have to keep telling myself everything is okay every morning - not because I don’t want to be pregnant (I’m super excited) but because I’m just so unsure of what’s to come. I had a chemical two months ago that only got me to 4 weeks (I found out through a HCG blood test through my doctor because I was spotting during ovulation...when it lasted 7-8 days I knew it wasn’t sticking around). I haven’t had any spotting with this one, so I’m really hopeful this is the real deal! I took another test this morning because I just had to have that confirmation. Pathetic? Maybe. I’m not having a ton of symptoms though except that I just feel a little off and sore boobs. Sorry to just dump all that but I haven’t told anyone except DH so I had to get it out. 

How are you, @mimser
    Me: 27 DH: 30
    Started dating: 10/2010 ;; Married 10/2017
    Started TTC: 10/2019
    BFP: 12/20/19 ;; MC: 12/24/19
    BFP: 3/5/20 ;; EDD: 11/11/20
  • @lovelee3 I'm happy you're sharing all this 😊

First time mom here too, I did spend a couple weeks in the July 2020 board last Fall though. So I can only understand your worries. 

I'm 6 weeks and 2 days. My first milestone always is 4 weeks 1 day as I also had a chemical last summer. The next milestone is having a good dating ultrasound 🤞

We are moving in June so part of me thinks that we just weren't meant to have a baby in our one bedroom apartment.

I also don't have much symptoms but sore boobs are always there, but I do get worried as some days are less painful than others! I'm really looking forward to feeling pregnant and feeling confident enough to start buying stuff.

We haven't told anybody either aside from one of my friends who owns the place I was taking pottery classes at and I told her because I wanted to cancel my classes I had just registered for. I think we'll tell close family after the dating ultrasound.
  • Loading the player...
  • @mimser sorry to hear about your first loss as well. Congrats on passing the first milestone for you and fingers crossed for good dating US! Do you have one scheduled?

I too am looking forward to actually feeling pregnant and not just relying on small symptoms. Never thought I’d be happy to have sore boobs! 

@sarahspang10 Thanks for sharing! I totally get feeling isolated! We haven’t even told parents yet - it’s just a secret between my DH and I. A positive spin I’m trying to put on it is that it’s our super exciting and special secret. Know that you’ve got this whole group behind you and I can’t speak for everyone but I bet we all are here to talk if you need it. 

Who knew pregnancy could be so tough? I’m sure it’ll get easier as we all get used to the changes and new experiences. 
  • Just popping in to say that you've got a LOT of STM+ here on the board so please don't feel shy about asking questions. Sending all of you love on this journey. Being a mama is like nothing else in the world.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • FTM but 3rd pregnancy. I'm 5w6d and have an u/s next Wednesday. We had our first one last week as we did a medicated cycle in order to conceive and were able to see the gestational and yolk sacs. My RE is still taking care of me, at this point, so I feel pretty ok about where things are.

I've reached the point in first trimester where I am actively nauseated from 3pm on and when I eat dinner (even a small one) I am so uncomfortable. Honestly, I'm thankful for it - this way I know things are ok. 

@lovelee3 Sorry about your CP, but glad you are here. 1st tri is such a mind-game because the symptoms come and go and are not visible. Do you have an u/s coming up, soon?

@mimser We should start a PGAL check-in group in a few weeks. I was in one during my last pregnancy and it was a really nice supportive group. 

@sarahspang10 Early pregnancy IS isolating. You and your partner need to do what makes you most comfortable - there isn't a good/bad time to tell parents/family/close friends - it's really all up to you! I've told my parents and in-laws since they are also aware of my previous loses and I cannot keep things to myself. I'm waiting for my u/s on 4/18 and then will tell my siblings and closest friends as I needed their support with my losses.
  • I’m still trying to figure out how to post and comment on people because I’m so not tech savvy but it’s been so awesome to read other comments of women in my shoes.

My DH and I have been trying for 2.5 years and I’m paranoid about everything. My last period started on Jan 28 and EDD is Nov 3rd. 

How do you all manage the fears of miscarriage?
  • @emmygbrown honestly, I'm handling this pregnancy a lot better as like @laurenmicheley I am FTM but this is my 3rd pregnancy. Our motto has been "one day at a time, one week at a time and one ultrasound at a time". I think positivity is key, I also have a few positive affirmations like "My body is the perfect home for my baby". Also I try not to symptom spot (very difficult!)
  • @laurenmicheley my first u/s is April 1. So relatively soon in the grand scheme but not soon enough  :#  I, too, am trying to wait until our first u/s to tell close family and close friends. I might spill to my dad sooner though - I’m really close with him. 

@emmygbrown  I wish there was a way to banish the fears! I’m trying to do like @mimser and just take it a day and a week at a time. I also keep repeating to myself positive affirmations too! It just keeps my mood up. I’m thinking about getting a journal as well... to have a place to spill everything since I haven’t told anyone except DH yet 
  • Well I'm having a day on the complete opposite of what I wrote yesterday.... it's nice to read my wise words 😅
  • If it weren’t for the sore boobs and achy back today, I wouldn’t have any symptoms! This early pregnancy stuff is weird...
  • I’m a first time mama too! I am 6wks4days. I’m nauseous almost all of the time, have extremely sore boobs, nothing sounds good to eat except fruit (mostly strawberries), and have absolutely no energy. 
    I’m excited for my upcoming appointment in a week or two to just have the reassurance that everything is okay and on track. I do have days where I’m still questioning if this is really real. Ways that I have worked through fear of the possibilities that can happen in the first trimester is by ensuring my mindset stays positive. 

Congrats to all you ladies! 
  • @mimser @laurenmicheley thank you both. I am grateful for this community.

I had mild cramping yesterday for the first time which was accompanied by some spotting so I was in tears and overwhelmed. Most of the week was smooth and joyful but yesterday was a tough one.
  • @emmybrown, same EDD and exact same worries.  I’ve been doing my best to take it one day and one week at a time, and every time a week passes, it feels just that much better.  

I wake up nauseous and generally have a feeling of queasiness all day. My boobs were much more sore 2 weeks ago vs. today but I think it has just been up and down really.  I am exhausted.  I could sleep all day and night.  No food aversions or specific cravings.  The mood swings for me have been the real deal the last week.

My fiancé and I haven’t told anyone yet, and since we see our parents often - it’s been HARD!  I think I’d feel better telling them after an US.  It’s been nice to have our little secret, too.  :smile:

• I'm so sorry yesterday was tough @emmygbrown. Has the spotting stopped? 
  • @mimser yes thankfully! Still mild crampiness but I’m hanging in. Going to take a nap since the quarantine and the kiddos are sleeping. A little R&R for mama too.

@triciad83 it’s fun to have your big secret but I also want to tell every single person I hold dear. Haha

Just curious, does anyone wake up wide awake at weird times. The last four nights I have woke up between 2:30-3 am and can’t fall back asleep until about 4:30/5. So strange. It’s never happened before now.
  • @emmygbrown yes I've been waking up a ton! Its driving me crazy lol, I just want a full nights sleep! 
  • Yes I’ve been waking up the past two nights wide awake for like 2 hours at a time! So frustrating! This week was our first positive pregnancy test and we’ve been trying for 8 months. We’re excited but it’s so hard to be excited when there’s so much that can happen between now and 12 weeks! How do you guys pass the time? Lol
  • edited March 2020
    Feels good to see that everyone feels similarly... sometimes I feel like a crazy person being so anxious!

First positive test In 3.5 years of TTC and it feels pretty surreal so far. We did IVF in January and did not get any embryos and sort of gave up and then In late February realized I was late! Had the first US last week and heard the heartbeat.. seriously the coolest thing ever.
  • FTM here! I'm 6w into this journey. My husband and I are still a little in shock! I'm excited to go to the first Dr. Apt! Feeling lots of nausea, and horrible bloating but powering through! I'm excited to be a part of this community! 
  • FTM! EDD 11/18! My husband and I were definitely in shock. We were NOT trying. But we’re pretty excited now. So far just SUPER sore breasts and mild cramping. Plus I have this incredible craving for lemons and spicy chicken 🤷🏼‍♀️ Other than that I don’t feel pregnant at all so it’s a weird feeling knowing there’s a tiny human growing in there. 
  • Welcome ladies! @knottie6d9576b67aa9bfd0 and @knottie23e2d7af2e00c788 make sure you check out the thread called "if your name starts with knottie..." it will help us recognize your screenname and get to know you better over the next few months 😀
  • Welcome ladies! @knottie6d9576b67aa9bfd0 and @knottie23e2d7af2e00c788 make sure you check out the thread called "if your name starts with knottie..." it will help us recognize your screenname and get to know you better over the next few months 😀
    I changed mine days ago and it has not updated 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • You have to log out and then log back in! 
  • bserena said:
    You have to log out and then log back in! 
    I’ve done that multiple times. 
  • Hello All! First time mama-to-be here! 5 weeks today.

My boyfriend and I did not plan to get pregnant.... but when I told him this morning that we were he was so sweet and held me and and assured me he wouldn't be one of those men who abandons me. We talked about meeting parents and waiting to tell everyone until after the ultrasound and first prenatal appoints (IN A MONTH!!!)

He deploys next month for 9 months.... and so I'll be going through this pregnancy without him present... we're discussing how to stay in contact and keep him up to speed. 
  • FTM here! 5 weeks along. We are excited after 8 months of trying it is still a shock! 

Morning sickness set in last week and very sore boobs. Ugh. Trying to keep my mind busy while we wait for our u/s. 

My doctors office doesn’t do an u/s until 12 weeks which I was surprised by! I have been reading everyone’s posts and thought it was about time I say hello! 
  • stacypazstacypaz member
    edited March 2020
    Hello!  FTM, nervous, excited, achey & feeling a lot of anxiety over unknowns...  My ultrasound is next Wednesday.   I'm 39 so the whole higher risk thing has me in constant worry.  Looking forward to a confirmation that all is well and baby is healthy!  I will say reading all the posts in this community have definitely helped calm me so Thank you ladies!  
  • @stacypaz welcome and it is great to meet you!! I understand the anxiety and am glad you have gotten some comfort from our BMB :) hopefully Wednesday will come super quickly so you can see baby! Just a quick note... we don't use the term "baby dust" on this forum as it can be triggering for some. No worries since you didn't know, just please don't use that phrase going forward.
  • Due to my lack of symptoms and no upcoming in person appointments, I convinced myself to take another pregnancy test today. Still a super dark positive line! Please tell me I’m not the only FTM questioning constantly if I’m actually pregnant. 
  • @lovelee3 lol I did the same thing last week. 
  • edited March 2020
    FTM here too and it still doesn't feel real!!! I had a VERY positive test at home, and another at the Dr's office. I'm on bed rest for two weeks due to stressful work conditions and I was having some cramping, but even still I don't think it will fully sink in until my first US in a couple of weeks! :lol: I've definitely been hit with some symptoms... nausea (no throwing up...yet! Just queasy mostly at night and sometimes I'm just turned off of food altogether), exhaustion, hormonesssss and I'm around 6 weeks. I'm told it gets worse before it gets better so I've stocked up on ginger tea!! I'm also worried as I am considered high risk due to having high blood pressure. Just praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy!
  • @northern_nova2020 I have had 3 ultrasounds and it still doesn't feel real  :D I think maybe once I start showing it will... but who knows! So excited though :)
  • I love hearing from other first-time Mamas!! 8 weeks and 5 days and I can totally relate to the feelings of doubt and unreality. I sometimes even forget I'm pregnant and then the symptoms hit so hard that my denial comes crashing down lol. I wonder when I'll start to feel more of a connection with baby. For now, I'm mostly just protective and sometimes resentful that this tiny peanut makes me feel so sick!! Congratulations to you all.
  • @stacypaz Completely understand how you feel. I am 37, FTM. Just had my first ultrasound and now I feel a bit more relaxed, but up till then I kept feeling super anxious and questioning if this is for real and if everything was ok. 
    @lovelee3 I had my ultrasound, quite intense nausea reminds me every day after 3pm for the pregnancy and it still doesn't feel real lol 
  • I'm a FTM. I'm 8 weeks. Due Nov 6th. I can't wait for my ultrasound the beginning of April! I am somewhat thankful for quarantine and being a teacher because I was sick for a solid week! Morning sickness is no joke. I was able to teach from home during that time. Lately I have had very sore breasts and extreme fatigue. My husband and I were putting together the crib today and I fell asleep on the floor looking at it! It's starting to hit me that I'm pregnant. I have no worries or fears right now. 
  • @hippos89 nice to meet you!! I have been exhausted as well.