August 2020 Moms
Options

Cooking in social isolation discussion

I thought it might be a nice place to have a discussion about all thing’s food.  It especially might be a good place to share recipes or recipe alternative as we are all finding it difficult to get some ingredients at the moment. So, I'm going to include a few questions to get us started.

• What are you planning on cooking this week?
  • Do you have any recipe requests? Maybe you've got some ingredients that you don't know what to do with.
  • Do you have any good recipes that are thrifty/freeze well or keep well/use alternative to difficult to get groceries?
  • Do you have any good cooking recipes or activities for kids stuck at home?

Re: Cooking in social isolation discussion

• Options
    cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited March 2020

What are you planning on cooking this week? I’ve also got fish, sushi rice as the Asian supermarket was the only place that still had rice and after an audit of my cupboards we have 4 packs of nori so I guess some home made sushi might be on the menu (with cooked fish of course).

Do you have any recipe requests? Does anyone have a good baking recipe that uses buttermilk, I’ve got some that goes out of date tomorrow but other than scones I’m out of ideas.

Do you have any good recipes? I have super simple two ingredient recipe for flatbreads just self-rising flour and carbonated water. Mix into a dough, roll out and fry for about 2min a side. Supper quick and a good option if you can’t get bread.

Do you have any good cooking recipes or activities for kids stuck at home? https://www.foodafactoflife.org.uk/ Food a fact of Life is a great educational resource that we use when teaching food at my school. They have a great range of recipes, resources and activities for children aged 3-16. They also have resources that you can use when cooking to turn it into more of a lesson.

• Options
    @cornichonmam the first things I could think of are buttermilk biscuits or buttermilk pancakes. When I did a quick search on pinterest, there were recipes for honey buttermilk bread, buttermilk blueberry muffins, buttermilk banana bread, cornbread, buttermilk fried chicken, buttermilk chocolate brownies and orange buttermilk pound cake. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stroganoff is an easy one. It can be made with three ingredients in a pinch. Brown ground beef or chunks of meat (like a cut up chuck roast) in a skillet. Toss in a can or two of cream of mushroom soup. Serve over rice, quinoa or pasta. I make it a little fancier than that though. I add onion, extra mushrooms if I have them, garlic and beef bullion to boost the flavor. And I often add sour cream or cream cheese, and milk if necessary to thin it. 

If you have no cream of mushroom soup but do have mushrooms, I've made this cream of mushroom soup from scratch before. It's really good! https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/homemade-condensed-cream-of-mushroom-soup/

@cornichonmam, for future reference, there are lots of substitutes for buttermilk that work just as well in cooking. I never buy buttermilk because I just don't use much and would never use it up. You can google it, but basically you just add a tablespoon or so of vinegar or lemon juice and then enough milk to make 1 cup (and it can be adjusted to make less, of course) and let it stand for 10 minutes. 
  • Options
    @cornichonmam You sound like a wonderful cook! 

@coldlife Beef stroganoff is a great suggestion!

I like this thread. I'm also getting a little hungry... 
  • Options
    charhar0820charhar0820 member
    edited March 2020
    @cornichonmam I am interested in this two ingredient flatbread you mentioned!! 

Tonight I’m making chilli. MH is on a weird shift at work. So I’ll make a big pot, leave extra for him to take to work the next 2 afternoons. Then freeze the rest. 
    The weather is weird here now, mix of sun, snow and rain all in one day so I hope a semi spicy hearty chilli will help H fight off any seasonal illness. Plus I made a big batch of cornbread two days ago we have to eat up. 

**edit**
    Forgot to ask if anyone had any simple, delicious, fool proof bread/bun recipes? I tried making buns once and they were a little dense for my liking. Also, no bread mixer.  
  • Options
    @pengy16 Some muffins sounds like a good idea, I'll be able to freeze some too.

@riatortillaxo Thanks, I'm a teacher of Design and Technology and Food.

• Options
    @cornichonmam I just made smitten kitchen's blue sky bakery bran muffins and the recipe calls for buttermilk (but she lists substitutions if you don't have it). They are so 👌🏼

@charhar0820 I love making Mari Bittman's no knead bread and find it really simple. I normally make a little salted honey butter to go with it. Recipe can be found on his site or the NYTimes cooking site.