August 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

We got a little behind so I'll try to get us caught up in the next few days!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing Diaper Bags. 

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• Options
    So I'm pretty set on getting this diaper bag from Dagne Dover. I've actually had my eye on this since before I got pregnant since I had been searching for the perfect backpack to fly with and it checked all the boxes of what I was looking for. 

Since I've never carried one before I have a few questions! 
    • When you are with the baby do you use your diaper bag in place of carrying a purse or do you normally carry both?
    • Do you take it with you basically every time you leave the house or just when you are planning to be out for longer stretches?
    • If someone else is caring for the baby (ie: grandparents) do you leave the bag with them or does it stay with you?
    I'm sure everyone is different, just curious about how people use theirs. Anything FTM+ should consider when picking out their bag?

• Options
    @rivercitynik Ooo that bag is Nice!!!
    also interested in hearing responses to the questions you’ve asked :smile:
    I’ve had my eye on the Herschel baby bags. I can’t decide between a tote or backpack. 
    Bonus i discovered they’re on sale at the moment! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never bought a diaper bag. I'm fairly minimalist, and I didn't want to buy yet another bag when, like a lot of people, I have so many random bags that I've acquired over the years. Tote bags, purses, mini backpacks, what have you. I've mostly used a tote I have had for years that has a zip top and a couple pockets inside. When I can downsize to needing fewer items, I switch down to a larger purse that I no longer use as a purse. 

@rivercitynik
    -Purse and diaper bag? For me, yes. I would leave the diaper bag in the car when I went into stores and just take my purse. I've recently sort of switched, not sure if it's permanent or not, to carrying a tiny little purse about the size of four credit cards in area. And then I just stick that in the diaper bag and pull it out when I go into a store. 
    -When do I take it with? I leave it for shorter trips - just to the store or under an hour. But you never know when you'll have a blow out, especially with using disposables, or when the baby will get hungry or when the trip will take longer than expected, so it's hard to know for sure.
    -Someone else with the baby? Yes, I leave it.
  • Options

I'm quite interested in this thread as I'm not the biggest fan of my current bag and I'm thinking of getting a new one for this baby. I currently have the BabaBing! day Tripper City Deluxe. My new bag will need to be big enough to store things for both of them as I doubt DT will be ready to potty train before baby arrives.

• When you are with the baby do you use your diaper bag in place of carrying a purse or do you normally carry both? I always carry both. Mainly so I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on such a large bag and you can just leave it in the pushchair, etc. It's also much easier now to run around after a toddler with a small cross body bag.
    • Do you take it with you basically every time you leave the house or just when you are planning to be out for longer stretches? When DS was smaller <9m I took it almost every time I went out. (I didn't have access to a car during the day until DS was 8m so I had to walk everywhere). Now that he is bigger I take my Bambino Mio changing mat that is just big enough to fold up 1 nappy, a pack of wipes and a nappy sack inside. I also have the Skip Hop Pronto Changing Station Bag but I have only used it a few times as it is actually quite large so I cant fit it in my handbag though a bought one for a friend of mine and she loves it.
    • If someone else is caring for the baby (ie: grandparents) do you leave the bag with them or does it stay with you? If he goes to Grandma I leave the bag with her. When he goes to nursery I just send a canvas bag with a change of clothes, reusable nappies and his coat (he didn't start nursey until 12m).
  • Options
    The Dagne Dover bag looks so sleek! With DS, I got the fawn diaper bag that was super popular with the mom bloggers at the time, and while I still love the look it's definitely too heavy for the size. It does wipe down super easily which is great. And they have the mini style for older siblings which is just adorable.

https://fawndesign.com/collections/diaper-bags/products/original-diaper-bag-gray

When I take the diaper bag, that's my only bag and wallet/cell phone get dropped in. Because of that, I found it really helpful to have a bag with a snug but easily accessible outer pocket where you could stash those things. When holding the baby, it wasn't always possible to open up the diaper bag to answer a call or grab a credit card.

Like many others, I took the diaper bag everywhere (outside of the house) for the first 6-9 months or so, and it's been pretty unused since. My boss thinks people who use a diaper bag and tend to drive everywhere are silly -- they could just leave stuff in the back of the car -- and I do see her point, but if a baby needs a pacifier or a poop change they usually need it YESTERDAY. Having the diaper bag there in the early days was part security blanket, part actual necessity in my personal opinion.

DH generally took the diaper bag when he went out with baby; I'm actually not sure anyone else has used it. But in any case, yes, I tried to remember to empty the diaper bag of my "personal effects" each time we got home and restock it with the necessary baby things like fresh diapers, a new change of clothes, etc. It was a baby accessory, not mom's, if that makes sense! 
  • Options
    I’m planning on getting this Vera Bradley backpack I’m posting 2 links because one is on mega sale for 75.00 in the outlet but that doesn’t go all the time. I like this because it has 2 water bottle holders, a sunglasses case built in, and plenty of space for my stuff and 2 kids. 
    i got a cross body wallet last time that i would use when I didn’t have kid with me. I’m a large purse person so carrying both wouldn’t work. I brought the bag every where until 6m or so then I would just bring my wallet and leave the bag in the car. 

Craft Blog
  • Options
    I have this bag that I got when ds2 was born and it's perfect. 

It has hardly shown any wear or tear. It has a lifetime warranty, the bag is water proof, the outside wipes down easily if something spills as it's not cloth. The bag itself is very roomy and has a tone of pockets to help keep all the things organized. I carry this bag everywhere. Seriously, I love this bag, it's the best thing since sliced bread, lol. 

I don't carry a purse, I have a wallet phone case, which I love, and it is so easy. I can just grab it and go. I recommend a backpack style because hands free is everything when you have a baby. 

I usually leave my diaper bag with whomever is watching the kids. The bag has so many ways to organize, that it's never in disarray when I pick them up. 
  • Options
    STM here- I have a backpack from Miss Fong (bought on amazon- knockoff Fawn Designs diaper bag backpack) and love it. Both the original and mini size are awesome and high quality. Fully plan on continuing to use it with this baby.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the recommendations and suggestions.  I'm looking at the Itzy Ritzy Boss backpack diaper bag (https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/itzy-ritzy-reg-boss-diaper-bag-backpack/5215702?keyword=diaper-bag-backpack)  Anyone have this or know someone who does?  I would like a stylish backpack type that I can use as a purse as well, but worry about it being a bit pricey.  It's a big girly, so I'm thinking of getting a more plain durable black one for MH as I'm sure there will be times he will be without me.  Then if we have family watching the baby we can leave "his" bag with them.  
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • Options
    Just passing this information along... Maden Bags (formerly Joone Co) has 25% off their bags for a Mother's Day sale.  I've been eyeing these backpacks for quite some time, and I finally jumped on the offer.  I got the Saddle All Day Backpack -originally $168, but with the sale it was $125 plus free shipping.  It was a bit of a splurge for me, but I love the look and style of it and figured it would be something I'd use almost every day.