October 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers!

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Baby Carriers!
FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!
For all....
What baby carriers do you recommend or not recommend? Thoughts on general baby wearing resources? Thoughts on general types of carriers or brands? 

Next up: Strollers!

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers!

• I’ll be a FTM, but from experience with babysitting and my nieces and nephews, I like the concept of baby wearing. I hope this kiddo likes it too! 

I know I want a soft structured carrier (probably ErgoBaby 360 as it seems to have great reviews) but I can’t decide if I would like a ring sling or wrap in addition to that. Thoughts? 
  • I used a boba wrap during the first 6 weeks or so and it was a lifesaver. I didn't pick that one specifically as it was a hand me down, but it worked fine once I got the hang of putting it on. I've heard great things about a ring sling or Moby wrap as well. Definitely think some kind of newborn wrap is a good/necessary addition to a soft structured carrier which can't really be used well until a little later. 

I have a Tula and a Lillebaby. Like them both at different stages and ages. I used them A LOT in order to be able to have both hands to walk my dog because it was hard to manage a stroller plus giant dog if she got excited.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love boba and Tula. I use the boba wraps obsessively for the first few months and once baby has head control I love the ease of a soft structured carrier. Boba and Tula both have beautiful patterns. Ring slings are gorgeous too but I've never mastered them.
  • We have a lillebaby all seasons and loved it! Both MH and I could wear it comfortably. 
    I used a K’tan wrap for the newborn stage and really liked that as well. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• I used a Moby wrap til my son was about 4 months. I absolutely loved it but it was a pain in public due to how much fabric there is. It was hard to keep it from hitting the ground while wrapping it. But we really loved it. Around 4 months I got a Tula and used it til he no longer let me (about 2.5). I absolutely loved it. Still have one- Gave the other to a friend who also loved it. I plan to use both with this baby. I will say long/ extended wear started to hurt my back as he got bigger. 

Now I’ve heard a lot about Lilliebaby so I also just bought a Lilliebaby AllSeasons because Amazon was having a flash sale. It came in yesterday and I can already tell I love it. Seems comparable to the Tula with a little more back support. 

I’m one of those moms- wear all the babies! I LOVE baby wearing. My 5 year old also keeps saying he wants to wear his sissy which I think is just the sweetest. 
  • I have the Lillebaby all seasons, a Moby, a SollyBaby, a hand me down ergo 360 and a sling ring. I think I'm set but I'm definitely going to learn how to use the ring sling better. I prefer the LB to the Ergo but it was awesome to have both. I kept the Ergo in the car for grocery shopping/errands, and then it stayed in H's car. The Solly was an impulse buy because it was way too hot in July for the Moby. I definitely like it better than the Moby but it was also $70 🤔🤦🏻‍♀️ the Moby was $20 at a consignment sale.
  • I love baby wearing. Favorite wrap = woven wrap. They're tough to learn but once you get the hang of it they're so comfortable and pretty and versatile. If I need a quick in and out, Lillebaby. I have the ergo360 too and can't put my finger on why I prefer Lille. I also have a sling but after my kids got heavy I never feel like I could actually take my hands off them in it, and same for all stretchy wraps. 

I take issue with the baby Bjorn carriers, or other baby danglers as I call them. Your kid should look like they're sitting in a chair in the wrap, knees above hips. If their legs are dangling, you are putting stress on their developing hips. 

Also FTMs - make sure you follow the safety recommendations. Their chin should not be tucked to their neck. They should be close enough to your face for you to kiss them. No back carries if they can't sit on their own. The wrap should hit then at the armpits. And the hip thing. 
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • Moby and Ergo 360 have gotten me through two kids. Love them both. Will be used again for this one.
  • @profmcgonagall did you find the baby K'tan easy to get on and off? I wanted to get it last time but it looked difficult and I was afraid to spend the money. Maybe I will this time if it's easy. 
    I baby wore 4 of my younger siblings and I liked wovens but the Moby was too difficult for me so I won't try it this time. 
  • @kalesix, I thought it was really easy! I watched a lot of videos so that definitely helped 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• AB518AB518 member
    I love the Lillebaby! I definitely would recommend it.  I mainly used it when running errands and when going for walks/hikes.  I also had the Baby K'tan, but I struggled with using it.  It never felt right to me.  I watched the videos over and over again to make sure that I was doing it correctly, but it always felt wrong.  My sister loved the Baby K'tan, and she used it all the time.  It just felt awkward to me, so I didn't use it as much as I would have liked.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Does anyone remember the name of that newborn wrap that is basically a tank top with a baby pocket?? I remember someone used it on a plane and it looked so comfy - seemed genius at the time. The lady wearing it said it was great but it almost sounds too good to be true. Not that we'll be flying anytime soon anyways 😂😂😂😂
  • I use an Ergo Omni 360 even still for my 15m-old and we both looooove it. It’s supposed to be newborn friendly (as small as 7? lbs) but I didn’t feel super confident when he was that small. Considering a wrap style for the newborn phase for #2. But I don’t know what kind—moby, k’tan, something else?? Is it personal preference between the different brands?
  • @morethanamama I think I know what you're talking about, I feel like there was one a few years ago with kangaroo in the name, but Lalabu has it called a "soothe shirt". I can't get a grip on linking on mobile, sorry! 

• I used the Infantino with my 12 and 8 year olds but am excited to try the Boppy Comfort jersey material carrier