July 2020 Moms

Childcare Questions and Advice

A few of us thought it might be good to have a dedicated place to ask questions and give advice on childcare. Whether you plan to use a daycare center, in-home childcare, nanny, family member, stay home yourself, whatever... share your questions/concerns/advice here!

Re: Childcare Questions and Advice

• Someone I work with shared the following question list for daycare tours:

Daycare Interview/Tour

General Childcare

What’s your general philosophy on childcare?

How many children attend the daycare? What is your child to caregiver ratio?

What do you serve for meals and snacks? Or do parents need to provide food? (If your child has allergies, be sure to ask about how they handle that.) If babies are taking bottles, ask how they handle frozen or pumped breast milk or formula preparation.

What activities do you do with the children? What is a typical day like?

How do you handle discipline or behavioral problems? For instance, how do you handle biting, hitting, or bullying situations?

Family-specific questions: if you use cloth diapers, be sure to ask about that, or if you have an unusual schedule that requires some flexibility, bring that up as well.

Daycare Policies

Can parents drop by whenever they’d like or swing by to breastfeed? What are your visitation policies in general? Who else is allowed to visit during care?

What happens if we’re late to pick-up or need to miss a day due to vacation or illness?

What’s your sick-child policy? What are your policies regarding immunizations?

What is the potty-training procedure? (Some daycares will start potty training your child once they reach a certain age.)

Do you transport children in a vehicle? Where would you go? Ask to see the vehicle or bus, and inspect the seating arrangements.

How, and how often, do you sanitize the toys and materials used by the children?

What are the tuition and fees? Is there a waitlist? Are there any types of discounts available (paying in advance, second sibling discount, etc.)?

Employees

What degrees or certifications does your staff have? What training do they have? Do you conduct background checks on all your employees?

How long has the current staff been here? Do you experience high employee turnover?

Do you have a nurse on staff for medical care? Do you administer medicine and/or emergency allergy treatments?

Safety and Communication

How do you keep parents up to date on their kid’s daily activities or behavior? Do you offer a daily report?

What security measures do you take for your facility?

Are you licensed? Are you accredited? By whom?

Do you have references I can contact?

• blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    Really great list, @mehugg! Thoughts on a few things:

• Definitely ask about ratio. IMO, it's always better to have 2 teachers to a room than 1 because I think it's easier to miss things when there's only one person (even if the ratio is smaller) and definitely more challenging when sh*t hits the fan.
    • Immunizations- I think these are required by the state? It is for NC anyway.... Even if they require immunizations, I'd ask if they allow religious based exceptions. Bonus if they don't!
    • Missing days- ask if you get a free week for vacation or anything. If we take a full week off and notify in advance, we don't have to pay for that week.
    • Staff Education- I'd also ask about what kind of professional development, if any, they offer the staff. If they offer PD, it'll show they're invested in their staff and how well the kids are being taught. 
    • Turnover of staff.... it's allllways high in these places. I don't know that I'd ask that because they're just going to dance around the answer. These teachers make sh*t for money and have tough jobs. Our preschool teachers seem to LOVE their bosses and colleagues (they hang out a lot outside of school) but the place still has, what I would consider, a high turnover. The teachers bounce as soon as they find something that pays a little better.
    • Medical treatment- definitely ask about this. Within our first year, our daycare decided they won't administer medicine, even if you have a note/Rx :neutral: So, if your kid needs drops in their eye 4 times a day, you have to go to school to do the drops (it will happen... your kid will get pinkeye and need drops) 
  • Loading the player...
  • meanjellybeanmeanjellybean member
    edited February 2020
    @mehugg that is a very comprehensive list! I think it's also good for folks to try and do some initial research (or at least just know there could be a difference) about what is required by law and/or regulation and what is the specific provider's policy. Like minimum ratios are usually mandated, but the center can have a smaller ratio if they wish. Background checks are also likely universally required unless you live in a state that wants zero federal funding for social services. Still, the state more than likely requires them.

I agree with @blaf322 that turnover is going to be high for the reasons stated. Not really worth asking the owner/director, but more of something to ask other parents who send their kids there to see if they find it disruptive or not. I also agree to ask about PD, although again some of that can be mandated by the state.

For medical treatment, it's very unlikely that the place will have a nurse on staff, unless it's a specialized setting. So it's good to ask what their policy is around administering medications. And again, some of this may be mandated by the state in terms of what they can and cannot administer. Some have a choice, some don't.

Same with immunizations - definitely good to check what is required by your state. It may be different for daycare vs. K-12. Some states are doing away with the religious exemption completely, while many still have it, and it may be seen as discrimination for a provider to turn away a family because they choose not to vaccinate based on religious beliefs (or medical reasons). That's the case in my state, although there will likely be legislation this year seeking to change it.
  • The topic of touring daycare centers and what to ask came up in the great question thread, which is how this thread was born. There was a lot of great advice over there though, so in case anyone missed it, I copied and pasted what the lovely ladies said over there into the spoiler below.

There's already been a lot of great advice given, and from my experience I based a lot of our decision on my gut feeling. If you don't have a great feeling about the center leaving it while pregnant, you certainly won't feel any better about it when you're leaving your baby there. For those prone to anxiety, feel free to look up the violations of the centers, but take it with a grain of salt. No place is going to have a perfect record, so pay attention to the type of violations they have. Having a missing phone number on record is very different than having a ratio that's higher than the state allows, etc. You get it. I just know I went down a rabbit hole with looking those up and quickly spiraled into "OMG NO PLACE IS SAFE."

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I DEFINITELY asked when we toured a few other places with this pregnancy to see if we wanted to move/stay where we were... do they offer any sort of parents' night out? At our center, they offer a PNO on the first friday of every month where you can leave your kid at the school 6pm - 11pm for $30 and they feed him/her dinner and put him/her to bed. It has been the best way for MH and I get date nights because we aren't near family who can watch her while we go out. It has nothing to do with your child's everyday care, but it's definitely a nice perk for us!

Per @meanjellybean :

@b_1029 I totally remember being in your shoes! We toured several daycares when I was pregnant with DD and in each room they would ask if I had any questions and I'd be like "nope." Lol I just had no idea. And the tours usually do a good job of covering everything you want to know. For us, we toured three and they all seemed great, so we went more on feel and word of mouth from people whose judgment we trusted.

The first thing is whether you are looking for an in-home or a center. There's obviously pluses and minuses to both. In-home feels more like home obviously and a center feels more like a school.

Location - generally I feel like you want to pick somewhere closer to your home than work, in case you work from home occasionally, but this really depends on many factors like the nature of you and your partner's work and your hours, etc.

What if anything do they provide? Some places provide diapers, some provide meals as your child gets older, some just snacks. I honestly didn't think about this when we were looking and we love our daycare but it would be SO nice if they provided food lol.

How do they communicate with parents? A lot of bigger centers have an app and people like that. 

For us, our daycare is a center but the administrators and teachers treat the kids and parents like family. You genuinely feel like they care about your child. When they are so little, and you are trusting a virtual stranger with their care, that's so important. We've had little things we've needed to address with them over the almost two years she's been there, but they always were receptive and wanted to do what was best.

Last thing is that places that provide child care are required to be licensed by some entity in your state or county. You can search your state's licensing website for their complaint and compliance history which is usually required to be public. Almost no provider is going to have a perfect record. Some complaints or compliance issues may not be that big of a deal - like they left the lid off a trash can or something. But if it's something serious, like lack of supervision or allegations of abuse or something, then don't be shy about asking the director/owner about it. They should be open to discussing all of that with you like they would any parent.

Per @coffeeandcookies84 :

@b_1029 it is such an overwhelming experience! When it came to choosing a daycare for DS, some of the things we had considered were:

Location - close to home vs close to office. We preferred close to home. we commute by train or bike into our work, so it just seemed better if DS was still playing during our commute time, also didn't want to deal with potential tantrums on the way home.

Building Quality - we live in Canada, so it gets cold in the winter months lol.

Food options - I didn't want to have to pack a lunch for DS every day if I could avoid it for a few years. So they have a full on kitchen staff with a decent menu that gets rotated

Program/Schedule -  any early education/development learning program they offer was a benefit (I think that's common though)

Outdoor exposure - how much time would DS get to explore/play outside. (this was important to DH, as he grew up in South Africa and was able to play in the trees like monkeys lol)

Oh and Drop off/Pick up times! I think our daycare opens quite early and stays open later than a few of the options we had

And of course, cost!

DH is an engineer so of course we ended up having a nice matrix/spreadsheet that we filled out after each daycare visit (we went to about 6 locations), and it was tough to decide!

This LO will be joining his brother there eventually, so I'm happy we won't need to go through that exercise again.

Per @blaf322 :

@b_1029 Here are the things I either noted/asked about or would consider if we were looking for a new facility now. It's going to seem like a lot but, often, they'll tell you most of this during the tour and you'll only end up having to ask a handful of things. I made a spreadsheet to help me keep track of things.

·         Ask about their star rating, but keep in mind that 5 star isn't always better than 4 star as far as care. 

·         Are there cameras in each room (and can you pull them up to watch, remotely, if you want)?

·         What is their sick policy? If they have a fever but it's because of an ear infection (or something else that isn't contagious), do you still have to keep them out for another day?

·         What all do you provide? (sheets, snacks/meals, formula, diapers, wipes)... pro tip- you definitely want somewhere that provides food once they're eating table food. I feel like I got my nights back the day we stopped having to prep bottles and purees. If we had to continue to prep meals... nope! If they provide snacks and/or food, find out what a typical menu looks like. One place we toured only gave snacks and they were saltines and canned peaches... every. single. day. Give the kids some variety!

·         What's your allergy policy? Are they nut free?

·         What's the earliest/latest you can pick up and drop off?

·         Do you charge extra for early/late pick up/drop off (ours charges extra if you want to drop off before 8am)

·         Do you have a bite policy? (if a kid is biting, at what point do they get the boot... or will they ever kick a kid out for that?... Are there any other measures they'll take to keep a biter from continuing to bite? remember... the biter might end up being your kid so make sure you're okay with their policy, either way.

·         How do you handle parent communication for both daily things (like diaper changes, feedings, naps, and activities) as well as less frequent things (like school closures and reminders)?

·         How much is tuition for each stage of life? (most decrease in cost as the child gets older)

·         Do you provide employer (or military) discounts?

·         What kind of security do you have in place to keep someone from walking in and taking my child? We toured one facility that had a deadbolt unlocked and hanging from the gate where the kids play outside. They tried to tell me that it's a regulation that they have it unlocked during school hours. That's straight up bullshit. Look around and pay attention to doorways and such. Make sure you feel safe about the enclosure.

·         What's your policy on giving back unused milk? (ours has to throw out anything leftover in the bottle.... which hurts your soul when BFing... but it's not uncommon. Just something to consider)

I chose to also ask about things for when they're older because our plan is to stay with one place until she's in Kindergarten. Things like...

·         How do you handle discipline when a child is acting out/misbehaving?

·         What activities, if any, are provided when they're a little older (some bring in companies like Soccer Shots or music lessons... some provide it for free and some have it as an optional activity you can choose to pay to participate in)

·         When they leave daycare to head to Kindergarten, what do you expect them to be able to do, academically (some examples: write their name, address, phone number, site read some words, etc.)?

Other tips:

·         Just see how you feel about the teachers and the class in general. If your gut is saying something is off, just go with it. You'll never be able to shake the feeling. For example- we didn't choose one daycare because it was straight up chaos in the 3yo room (among other reasons) and, my biggest concern was, kids were being mean to other kids (which is normal) but it was completely unaddressed by the teacher. Another we saw was fine, but I felt like the teachers were just acting like babysitters. If I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for care, I want you to be doing more than just watching them play.

·         Like @meanjellybean suggested, look up their visit notes for violations when the state came through for evaluations (both planned and surprise visits).

• @stlbuckeye132 yes I had never really heard of a PNO, but that sounds so awesome! Especially once a month instead of once in a blue moon.
  • Just putting in a plug for in home daycares!  We have used two for DS since he was born.  It is pretty common in our area for people to do in home daycares for teacher's kids and keep to the school schedule.  We were most interested in this option because of summers.  I want to spend the summers home with my kids since I am off, but don't want to have to pay to hold a spot at a daycare.  If you're considering an in home daycare, DEFINITELY ask around.  I probably wouldn't trust someone as much with my kid if they didn't come recommended from someone that uses/used them.  I think that word of mouth is the best way to find someone.  

We found both of our people through word of mouth.  Our first babysitter was a former teacher who opened a daycare to stay home with her kids and make some extra cash.  There were 2 other teachers at my school who took their kids there and they had awesome things to say.  She went back to teaching this year, so we moved to another babysitter who lives next door to another colleague of mine and she sent her kids there.  Another family from our old babysitter ended up there too, which is nice to DS has a buddy he knows!  

Things are definitely a little less strict with in home daycares so they aren't for everyone.  I do like that if DS spikes a fever, my babysitter will keep him quarantined for a couple hours if necessary since it is SUPER hard for me to get away.  She will give medicine and is a former Kindergarten teacher, so she does lessons with the kids as well.  You will typically have to give the same permissions for medical interventions that you would for a daycare center as well as permission for them to potentially drive your child places.  Another plus is that there is no turnover.  I know that she will be there every day when I drop him off.  DS is super happy there with the 5 other kids, and I feel like our babysitter is like a mom to him during the day.  

Definitely a Con:  If your babysitter is sick and can't take care of your child...you have to find something to do with them.  This happened to us on Monday (She had the flu over the weekend and wasn't quite better).  Thankfully our parents live nearby so they were able to help us out.  

• @meanjellybean we have a facility here with a nurse on staff. They'll keep your sick kid in a separate section that has isolation rooms and such for the kids. But, to your point, it's insanely rare so you'll know if they have an RN on staff. They will basically hang a banner announcing it :D 

@stlbuckeye132 we have PNO but I cannot do it. Like, how TF do you get your kid back to sleep after picking them up. DD goes down at 7:30 and I can't imagine she'd handle going down there well.... and would definitely not handle going back to bed well. Do you find your DD handles it well?
  • @Pascal86 😂😂 we can’t wait to stop being daycare poor in 5ish years. Our savings account will be so much happier lol
  • @Pascal86 no kidding! I'm having a hard enough time swallowing the cost for two... I told MH if we have another, we need to space it out more so DD is in kindergarten and this one will be 3 before adding another newborn. The costs are truly outrageous.
  • @Pascal86 good advice lol. Yeah I'm with @stlbuckeye132 where the cost of two is daunting enough, on top of us moving. DD's tuition goes down like 50 bucks when she turns 2 thank god. Luckily our place hasn't increased prices the entire time we've been there. That may be something else good to ask for new parents - how often does tuition increase? I don't know how common it is, but I feel like I hear people talking about annual increases so that even when your kid gets older and the tuition theoretically decreases, it's still a net increase which sucks.
  • @meanjellybean good point. Our center has a yearly 3-5% increase... :neutral:
  • @stlbuckeye132 nooooooooooooooooooooo  :'(
  • @meanjellybean we have annual increases :neutral: It basically negates the decreases we've had in tuition based on her getting older.... we've only decreased by about $75 since enrolling her
  • Related to all this cost stuff... Has anyone taken on changes in work schedule to try to have kids go to fewer days at daycare? One thing DH and I are considering is both working from home one day (so the other can cover baby if/when one of us has calls/meetings) and having me still work full-time but over a 4 day work week so i can be home with the baby one day, thereby only doing 3 days at daycare a week. Has anyone done anything like this? It feels like the only way we'll be able to afford it (pending work approving the idea of course)
  • @blaf322 I feel you. I keep telling myself once she hits 3, we'll actually see the discount, but doing the math... it still won’t be much. 😭
  • meanjellybeanmeanjellybean member
    edited February 2020
    @mehugg it's definitely going to depend on the kind of care you find. In-homes are probably more flexible on hours/days. Even centers that offer part-time usually have a set schedule that you have to fit into, and it probably would only be for 3 days a week as opposed to 4, because that means your child is taking a spot from a potential full-timer. So basically unless you're looking at in-home, I wouldn't count on it, and also, after they leave the infant stage, working from home with a kid just seems impossible. When I have to stay home with DD because she's sick, the only time I can get anything done is when she naps. Even with two people home, there just won't be much uninterrupted work time. But maybe others have made it work and can chime in.

ETA I kind of misread your post lol oops.I think doing an alternative work schedule could work so that you only have a 4 day work week, but that other day may be tough for you both to be working from home for the reasons stated above.
  • @mehugg like @mamaJellyBean said, often at centers part time has to fit into a schedule. For example our daycare you can go part time for 2 days a week (tues/thurs) or 3 days a week (mwf), or full time (m-f). 
    But this time around we're thinking of doing in home for the first 2 years so we can be more flexible with the hours for MH schedule and he can stay home with babe on days off.

RE: cost of daycare for more than one child at a time. I was so excited thinking about how much money we are going to save now that DD is going to be in K next year, and then remembered the cost of infant care lol. But, at least they aren't at the same time!
  • @mehugg We haven't done that but I thought we were going to have to make MAJOR changes to our lifestyle to afford daycare. You'd be surprised how things work out. That said, I think that's doable for the first, maybe, year or so of life. My friend WFH (solo) with her son and I think she started wanting to pull her hair out around 2yo. It'll be a challenge, but if you have to do it, I think it's doable and you can always reevaluate down the road if you're finding it too tough to balance baby/toddler and work.
  • @meanjellybean it never goes down! I mean, infant care probably always is more, but doesn’t feel like a huge improvement. 

We go to a daycare on the higher end of the cost spectrum and love it, but trying to find other options for next year, because I think we just can’t do it with 3. Especially for the new baby - they’ll be the most expensive, and honestly I just need a safe place for them to be. They don’t need the most involved program with lots of activities, just need someone nice to feed them and give them naps!

My parents also help a couple days a week (but are divorced, so do it separately), which is great. But also makes this complicated puzzle for me to figure out with what daycare options there are, everyone’s schedules, etc. I might lose my mind soon. 
  • Does anyone have tips on how to find in-home places? Would that be on like care.com? When I was trying to look around here, all I saw in search results were daycare centers. Not sure if we want to go the in-home route or not but I figured that would at least expand options to look at
  • @b_1029 I'm sure others will have advice, but when I briefly was considering in-home with my first, I joined a local moms facebook group and searched for posts about in-home sitters. You could try that if you don't have a personal recommendation, but if you have any friends that use an in-home daycare, I'd probably prefer a personal recommendation from someone I trust.
  • yes.. good advice on the local moms groups @stlbuckeye132 . People post asking about in-home care all the time and get tons of replies.
  • @b_1029 Word of mouth for sure. If your community has a FB group you could ask there, or local mom groups!
  • @blaf322
    Try this?  https://childcarecenter.us/   I think if an in-home daycare is licensed, they are on here because they have inspections etc.  
  • @b_1029 agree with everyone else, you want to go with word of mouth to get a list together and then go visit them and see what you think. And something to add to the part-time discussion, we initially thought about having MIL watch DD two days a week and sending her to our daycare of choice three days a week. But the days had to be set ahead of time, so if there was ever going to be a day or two where MIL needed to change it up, or was sick etc, we'd have to pay the "drop in" fee at daycare, and if we did that 2 or more times a year then it was basically the same cost as full time. Also, this is something that we noticed more as she got older and more aware, but kids thrive on consistency and seeing how much she loves going to school every day, it feels like we may have been doing her a disservice by alternating one day at school, next day with MIL, etc.
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited March 2020
    jlsmith31 said:
    **Removed for TOU violation**
    are you due with another in July?

ETA- If so, an intro in the intro thread would be super helpful. Also check out the board organization thread when you have a minute. It'll help you navigate the group.
  • @blaf322 either that or spam/advertisement.... :|
  • @b_1029 oh, I totally think that's what's going on :D Gotta be honest, unless the facility was suuuuper convenient, that would completely turn me off and I wouldn't even tour because of that. There are better ways to market to potential customers.
  • @blaf322 and @b_1029 not even in the market for childcare but if that's how you find families I wouldn't consider you.  There are so many other ways to get referred parents.
  • @blaf322 @bluguitarhannah yup... heads up all you moms in Mauldin SC... yikes.
  • @blaf322 this is such a good point to add! I was the same way, I didn't think at all about this when looking.