Infertility

March 2020 IVF

Ok, way ahead of the game, but in addition to lurking on all the other threads, I wanted to start one that actually aligns to my timeline :)

I just had an initial consultation with a new clinic today, and we're planning an IVF cycle in March. My doctor is going to review the protocol I did for the first cycle we did with a different clinic and come up with a new plan. Last time I had 70 follicles growing, but only 10 mature eggs harvested with OHSS after retrieval, so he might suggest we do a less aggressive approach this time. I have no periods, so no need to align the timeline to anything besides their embryology lab capacity/availability. We did blood + US today at the initial appointment (all looks as expected), so the only part missing is to test husband's sample and to sign consent forms.
I'm so happy they're not making me re-do all of the painful and invasive testing I had to go through when I first started on this journey!
The plan is to do ICSI for all retrieved eggs, freeze and PGS test for all embryos. Fingers crossed all goes well and we'll end up with something to transfer later in the year 🤞

I'm sure there are others here that already know they're going an IVF cycle in March, so please join me here :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
Me: 37 DH: 45
I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3

Re: March 2020 IVF

• Hi @FuzzyDust ! I just introduced myself on the main board :smiley:. Long-time lurker now coming out! I am joining you for a March IVF...just waiting on AF, then I'll start BC a few days later. I am having a saline sonogram and a mock transfer on 1/27, with a tentative stim start date of 2/23. Yikes! All seems so far away, yet so close. 

I am also doing ICSI for all retrieved eggs, freeze and PGS test. Likely transfer in May if all goes well. It's my first time doing IVF, so I have no clue how I'll respond to the meds or how it will go.

Best of luck to all of us for March!
    BabyFruit TickerMe: 39 DH: 38
    Together since 2007, married since 2010
    Baby girl born: 7/12
    Baby boy born: 10/15
    IUD removed 3/2018, TTC naturally until Summer 2019. Seeing RE since 8/2019.
    Current DX: blocked fallopian tube.
    IUI #1 (9/19): 50 mg clomid + Ovidrel --> BFN
    IUI #2 (10/19): 50 mg clomid + Ovidrel --> BFP
    Missed miscarriage and D&C: 12/19
    IVF #1 + PGS: March 2020 [5R, 4M, 3F, 2B, 0 PGS normal] 
    IUI #3 (6/20): 50 mg clomid + Ovidrel —> BFN
    IVF #2 (8/20): changed clinics to try new protocol [7R, 6M, 4F, 1 biopsied so far, waiting on PGS results]

• Happy to see more March IVF buddies, @minnesotalove :)
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan! The dates will be here before you know it, and then the process itself will feel like forever  :# I'm still waiting for the specific dates for my protocol (and what the protocol will be), but hoping it'll start early March.
    Looks like you've already done IUI before, so I assume you already familiar with the self-administered shots and the process. I found that the first half of IVF was very similar to IUI (a bit more drugs to inject), but then there is retrieval and really emotionally difficult 5-6 days waiting to know if you end up with any embryos to test and freeze.

It's funny, after my first IVF, I said that I never ever ever want to go though this again (hoping that our 2 resulting embryos would end up being 2 babies..). Yet, here I am - excited about what's to come.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
  • Loading the player...
  • @FuzzyDust - I’m expecting a looooot of anxious waiting with this process. Definitely nervous about the shots - I did the Ovidrel trigger shot and that one was easy. Looks like I will be on 150 IU of Follistim and 150 IU of Menopur. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your protocol and when you’ll get started!!! 
    IVF #2 (8/20): changed clinics to try new protocol [7R, 6M, 4F, 1 biopsied so far, waiting on PGS results]

• @FuzzyDust & @minnesotalove hope I can join you here. I got my meds schedule finalized today and will have egg retrieval the first week of March. This is my very first IVF cycle so I am super nervous! I’m going to be on Gonal-F, Cetritide, and a Lupron tigger. 
  • @2dogsmom welcome!! And yay for getting your meds schedule. What day do you start stims? We might be on a really similar schedule. I’m supposed to start 2/23. 

• @minnesotalove I start stims 2/21. It sounds like we will be on a very close schedule! We have done IUI with trigger, so at least it isn’t our first time doing subq injections at home, but definitely not looking forward to it! And yet, at the same time I am super anxious to just get it over with!! 
  • @2dogsmom glad to have someone close to my schedule! Do you know if you’ll do a fresh or frozen transfer yet? 

• Yay! Welcome!!! You guys are almost at the starting line!!
    i just got my schedule, and it looks like my doctor just barely managed to fulfill his promise of “March IVF” 😅. I’m going for the suppression check on March 25th, and starting injections on March 28th. So it’ll be mostly April when the things get really going. 
    I don’t mind, as I’m looking to switch teams at work in a few weeks, and it’d be nice to have time to ramp up before the hormonal wave comes 😬
  • @minnesotalove we are going to do a FET. My RE really pushed that our chances would be better so that’s what we are doing. Probably the middle of April. 

What about you?

@FuzzyDust sorry for the delay but it sounds like the timing works nicely with work for you. I almost delayed a month because the last week of Feb/1st week of March is insane at work for me, but I am so nervous about everything I decided putting it off a month would just add stress!  Glad you are able to be calm about the delay! Will you be doing a fresh transfer? If so our transfer timeline may be similar!! 
  • @2dogsmom , we're going to freeze all and do PGS testing. I had OHSS last time, so we wouldn't risk a fresh transfer. Plus, with my age I really want to test my embies. Hopefully we'll end up with some good ones, but I'm willing to do it one more time if we don't. We are not planning to transfer till Sept/Oct. Husband is a teacher, so with this process we have a luxury of trying to time the baby with his summer vacation (worked out perfect with out first!).
    I know how nerve-wrecking the process can be. The best advice I've been given is to take one day at a time. It's easier said than done, I know :D After one IUI, one IVF and 2 FETs, I'm getting used to the process :D 
  • @FuzzyDust yeah, I’m glad we did a bunch of IUIs with trigger shots first so at least we are somewhat used to the process. Still it’s the actual egg retrieval that’s freaking me out! 

Sounds like a good plan to do the pgs testing. We are doing that too. I’m 35 so definitely better to test. 
  • Alright fellow March ER peeps -- how is everyone doing gearing up? @minnesotalove do you have all your meds ready for Sunday? 

I have my PGS blood draw and a class tomorrow. Definitely ready to just get this over with!
  • @2dogsmom - making progress on getting the meds! The official order was placed today and they will arrive on Saturday. Cutting it close. Yikes! 

I agree - so ready to get this over with. What are they going over in the class? I’m supposed to watch some videos online - have yet to do that. 

I’ll also be doing the FET - they said early May be the likely timing. Seems far away, but I’m super busy at work right now so that’s keeping my mind occupied at least. 

• 2dogsmom, the retrieval wasn't bad at all, actually. The OHSS sucked big time afterwards, but the chances of having it is pretty low (and you can usually predict it based on your reaction to stims beforehand). When I woke up from the anesthesia and they asked me how I'm doing, I said "Wow! You have great drugs!"  :D 
  • @minnesotalove the class was super interesting actually— very informative about the exact ER process and then what happens every day after that. Helpful to know we will be getting calls on days 1, 3, 5, 6 & 7 after ER, and just cool to get to see all the equipment they use and have a better understanding of the process. They also went over in detail egg quality and the way they rate blastocysts. I feel like my clinic is really good at communicating.  2 weeks ago we had a “meds” class to make sure we all knew what every medication does and how to administer it. The classes are optional but I really enjoy them. I like knowing as much as possible & it’s kinda nice to be in class with other couples at the exact same stage. 

Good luck getting your meds!!

@FuzzyDust thanks! Hearing people say it wasn’t too bad makes me feel a bit better. I’m just a chicken but I know I’ll be happy once it’s over! 
  • Hello everyone! I am joining in, as I am currently on BC to suppress, have my baseline bloodwork and ultrasound on 3/9, and then start stim on 3/12. I am such a first-time IVF lady, and while I have a medical background, I just can't seem to wrap my head around why the timing is the way it is...but I trust my medical team and do what they say. 

@2dogsmom I just attended an injection class last Friday and walked out more nervous than when I walked in, but about different aspects of the process. Some of my fellow classmates mentioned concerns that I had not even thought about, and I can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, so to speak. 
  • @miki_moo welcome to the March group! Yikes re the class making you more nervous, that's less than ideal.

AFM we trigger tonight with ER on Thursday! I had a good number of follicles so while I'm still totally nervous about the ER, I'm also excited to see how many eggs we get!!
  • @miki_moo - welcome to the group! I am also a first-time IVFer, so learning the ropes day by day. Which shots are on deck for you? If this helps at all....I found most of my shots not to be terrible, and I’ve historically been afraid of needles. 

@2dogsmom @FuzzyDust, how are you guys doing?!  Hope everyone is doing well! @2dogsmom, how did your ER go? @FuzzyDust, what’s next for your plan?

AFM, I have been on stims since 2/23, and things have been going pretty well. The clinic had me increase my Gonal-F on day 4 (from 150 to 225) as my estrogen was around 98. Otherwise, I’ve been doing 150 IUs of Menopur in the morning, along with the Cetrocide to hold off ovulation. Most of my follicles are oddly on the right side - the left side hasn’t been producing as many. Today, there were two eggs over 15 mm on the left and around six on the right. My clinic was hoping for 12, but they said this is enough to move forward. Just did the Pregnyl trigger shot at 9:30 pm tonight and am scheduled for ER at 9:30 am on Saturday morning!

I’ve been exhausted at night and not doing a super great job of keeping up around the house. Then, in the mornings, still tired and rushing to get everyone ready and trying to get my butt to 7:15 am morning appointments before work. I feel like a hot mess!!! Really ready for Saturday to be over!

• @minnesotalove I feel you on the exhaustion! My house is a complete disaster right now and I don’t even care!!

ER wasn’t great for me because my body hates anesthesia so despite them giving me anti nausea I spent most of yesterday unable to keep anything down. Feeling better today but still pretty painful so staying home from work to rest. But on the upside we got 29 eggs so really really hoping a good number of those fertilize and I’ll never have to do ER again! 
  • Hi all, I’m joining late to this post. 
    2dogsmom So excited to hear  Your numbers are great! 
    @miki_moo I watched videos at Freedom Med Teach website.

Just had my Egg Reterival today. I’m 35 and started with a low AMH 0.3. I didn’t respond to meds. Day 3 US showed one follicle on each side. Day 5 showed 2 follicles on right 1 on left. Day 7 showed 3 on right (20mm, 10 mm, 10mm) left showed 3 (16mm, 11mm, and 5mm). Today they were only able to retrieve 3 Eggs. I’m hopeful the 3 will become healthy embryos but prepared for second round of IVF in May or June. I remain hopeful as I wait to hear from the doctor.
  • Hi @dancing_kat -- sorry to hear you didn't get as many embryos as you wanted, but it only takes one!! Will you be doing pgs testing and a FET?  How are you feeling post ER?
  • @2dogsmom I remain encouraged and reading others stories and experience as I wait to hear from my doctor. After the ER, i didn’t feel too terribly bloated. I’m thinking because I didn’t have many eggs to retrieve. But, I went home and laid in bed with lots of gatorade and water on the side of the bed. I placed a heating pad on my stomach as I watched TV and got in maybe 2-3 hours of sleep. My husband bought lunch (soup and sandwich). After eating it made me feel bloated. Today not so bloated and feeling okay. I’m was put on 5 days of Doxycycline and should be done Mar 12. 

I am still on the fence on a second round of IVF Egg retrieval in May/June. But once we officially decide, will have PGS tested. Also planning for FET possibly after August.

What is next for you?
  • Hello! Sharing an update on my end. I ended up having 8 potential eggs at my final scan last Thursday. Had the retrieval on Sat and they got 5 eggs. I was hoping for more, but honestly was really not sure what to expect. The clinic was very positive, so trying to stay in that mental zone. 

Of the 5 retrieved, 4 ended up mature. All 4 fertilized, but one of the eggs has slower growth. Just got my day 3 update and three of eggs are showing solid growth. Every time they call I feel like I’m going to pass out. They said they’ll call on Thursday with the day 5 update. I started back on my vitamins yesterday in the event I need to do another round. 

@DancingKat welcome! Glad to heard you’re feeling OK after retrieval. I’m also feeling decent, but suspected it was due to the lower number retrieved as well. Good luck to you! Hope those embryos are growing strong! 

• so excited to read about everyone's process and progress! 
    minnesotalovedancing_kat2dogsmom, what is the update for the blasts???

As for myself, I am supposed to start stims on 3/28, but now with the whole state being on quarantine, I'm considering postponing to the summer. The process does require quire a few hospital visits, and my RE office is in the hospital that's a hub for COVOD-19 patients. Plus, is it really the time to do an elective minor surgery that require full anesthesia?  my meds are already here, but the expiration dates are all on 2021. I think I have to make a call sometime this week to give enough heads up to the clinic. :(
  • I just had my ER Saturday and am set to transfer on Thursday.  My dr just called advising me it might be best to freeze ( I already have one frozen),  I was set to transfer fresh. With Covid 29 going on, there are uncertainties in the world right now and if something happens to me, she said there might not be enough hospital beds,.  What do you guys make of this? My heart is set on this...
  • @jld0209 , that's a tough choice. Maybe you could freeze all and do the PGS testing? That would give you better chance in the future. But ultimately, it's your choice between the risk and reward.
    My RE called to postpone my IVF without any specific future date, so now I'm just on hold :( 
  • @jld0209 good luck with that choice...it's so hard to know what's best right now.  If it helps, I think FETs have a slightly higher success rate with or without pgs testing. 

AFM we ended up with 0 pgs normal embryos so starting all over. Infertility sucks!  We were planning on April but not sure if we will end up having to postpone due to covid19. 
  • FuzzyDustFuzzyDust member
    edited March 2020
    @2dogsmom , so sorry to  hear about 0 pgs normal :( that truly sucks!

Hope the covid19 situation doesn't last too long and we'll all start our super-successful next cycle soon  <3