Infertility

What to ask after an egg retrieval

Hello!

First IVF cycle here, Feb 15 I had my egg retrieval. They collected 55 eggs, 36 were mature and 34 fertilized. I triggered with lupron instead of ovidrel because of my risk of OHSS. My cycle turned into a freeze all because of my OHSS risk. On day 6 I got an email saying they were able to freeze 6 embryos. I know it's a good number, but there are people who retrieve 15 eggs and freeze 9 embryos, so I'm discouraged.

Anyway, I have a phone appt with my RE on Wednesday and I'm just curious what I should ask. I want to know why so little embryos made it to blast versus what was retrieved and I wanna know what he thinks my success rates are. What else should I ask?? 

Thank you!

Re: What to ask after an egg retrieval

• I would ask if they had any concerns about egg quality -- that can be the reason for fertilized eggs not making it to blast. However, with some ladies, the stims can "fry" their eggs -- so they get alot, but the quality isn't so great. If you need to try again, you might want to ask about a mini-stim cycle. Are you going to do PGS testing?

~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• I wish I had an answer for you.  We had an MFI issue in our case because DHs sperm had to be surgically retrieved.  But for our two cycles we got 18 eggs and 3 to freeze, and then 21 eggs and 4 to freeze, if I remember correctly.  So not dissimilar. :/ I don't know if they ever really brace people adequately for the attrition. (((Hugs)))