October 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @mkp0903 I was due in July with DD and loved my pregnancy swim suits. They’re less restricting. I also had an old swim suit from when I was 50lbs heavier and it worked out fine. It just wasn’t as flattering. With the pregnancy swim suit I looked pregnant with the bigger suit I felt like I looked big. 
  • @Smelh324 I had a doula and I found her through my prenatal yoga class. It was actually a team of two (wives 🙂). They tag team during long labors. I wanted to make sure they would align with my wishes without pushing their own agenda. It was a wonderful experience and if we had a bit of disposable income (we are pouring our savings into our new home) I would probably have them for my second birth as well! I live in California so there are lots and lots of doulas here. Based on where you are located you might even find yelp pages.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just got off the phone with my OBs nurse. I asked for diclegis which is what I took last pregnancy and she said they have trouble getting it covered since it went generic. She tried to talk me into Bonjesta (the newer non generic formulation), but it was going to be super expensive. I told her the generic for diclegis should be fine? She seemed uncertain of it's cost or whether it would be covered, which made zero sense to me. Anyone else run into this? Anyone taken the generic for diclegis?
  • Just got off the phone with my OBs nurse. I asked for diclegis which is what I took last pregnancy and she said they have trouble getting it covered since it went generic. She tried to talk me into Bonjesta (the newer non generic formulation), but it was going to be super expensive. I told her the generic for diclegis should be fine? She seemed uncertain of it's cost or whether it would be covered, which made zero sense to me. Anyone else run into this? Anyone taken the generic for diclegis?
    Huh that seems strange to me! Although my midwife did give me a sample of Bonjesta which my insurance doesn't cover and would be super expensive but then told me that the generic of it might not be covered either. Insurance stuff is such a mess sometimes!
  • @dedioni it really is. I mean sure, I can see the name brand not being covered now that there is a generic, but then the generic should at least be covered if they covered the name brand before! I had her send it to the pharmacy, and I am going to call and find out the cost in a bit. I just hope it works as a well as the name brand did for me.
  • @carrotsandpeas3 I just googled generic diclegis because I was curious if the generic was on my pharmacy’s $4 list. It looks like the generic version isn’t even available commercially. Weird.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @deaddahliah that's so bizarre. I will call the pharmacy when I get a bigger break at work and report back with what I find out. This whole situation has me thrown off because I assumed I could at least get the meds I had last time since my insurance hasn't changed.
  • mkp0903 said:
    What’s the deal with maternity bathing suits? I was late pregnant in the winter before and have zero summer maternity stuff. Are they necessary? Can you just get a regular 2 piece in a bigger size? Going to the beach middle of 2nd tri and just curious about other experiences. 
    I'm curious about this, too, since I have to go TDY (I'm military) for a month in May where we have swim tests, so I have to bring a comfortable swimsuit with me.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Regarding maternity bathing suits: definitely necessary for 3rd tri and beyond unless you’re pretty petite or don’t mind your belly showing. 

Did/will everyone get an ultrasound at their first appointment? As far as I know I won’t be, and it’s too early at 8 weeks to hear the HB with a doppler. I really want some type of confirmation that all is well :( 
  • @coldbrew My OB uses a wheeled in transvaginal ultrasound machine at the first appointment. It's not a super strong one, but we were able to just barely see the HB at 6+5.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @carrotsandpeas3 there are coupons for bonjesta! my OB wouldn't prescribe it because she said it "wouldn't be any different than b6+unisom), which isn't what I've heard, but regardless, if you look on their website you can get a coupon that brings it down to $0-$25, from what I've heard. 
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • Just got off the phone with CVS! They have to order the generic diclegis but said it should be in tomorrow and will be $10. I can handle that!

@babyodo and @mkp0903 I bought a swim suit around 7 months along with my daughter (August baby) and ended up just getting a regular swim suit with a really touched middle section from Kohl's. It worked really well all the way to term. I would definitely think I could pull a regular suit like that off again this time since I will hopefully not be quite as big in the summer as I was before.
  • With regard to swimsuits I bought one at Costco that was a few sizes bigger than I would normally wear.   It worked well for lap swimming.   It was just a basic black speedo but it served its purpose.   Wasn’t stylish either 🤦🏻‍♀️  but I didn’t really care when I was heavily pregnant.  
  • I didn't mind showing my belly so I tried regular suits mostly at Target because I didn't feel like spending money and even a L was too small as a top! My boobs weren't enourmous but I could not believe how small the tops were. The one piece suits were fitting perfectly though! I also did a lot of tankinis and those worked great in non maternity sizes
  • So forget what I said about generic diclegis only being $10. Got a call from the pharmacy that that is correct but that no one can get the drug as it hasn't actually been released to the commercial market, which would have been great to know yesterday. They filled the brand name and it's like 8x that price. I just want to cry. Is it so much to ask for a reasonably priced drug so that I'm not vomiting all day long?
  • So forget what I said about generic diclegis only being $10. Got a call from the pharmacy that that is correct but that no one can get the drug as it hasn't actually been released to the commercial market, which would have been great to know yesterday. They filled the brand name and it's like 8x that price. I just want to cry. Is it so much to ask for a reasonably priced drug so that I'm not vomiting all day long?
    That's awful! I'm so sorry. Hopefully they work though!
  • @coldbrew It may be possible to get a heartbeat at 8 weeks, we did when we had our US at 7+5. Good luck, and I hope you get to see your little one!
  • @morethanamama that’s what I was thinking about doing. I don’t mind my stomach showing at all. I don’t think my current tops will fit much longer since my boobs are already doubled in size. 
  • Does anyone else’s blood sugar drop insanely fast? I try to eat a little something every 2-3 hours to avoid nausea, but sometimes it’s not enough to stabilize my blood sugar and I will get incredibly weak and barley be able to function. It seems to come out of nowhere 
  • @jcbuck1020 I’m feeling like that too. I’ve eaten lunch and just ate half a brownie but still feel kind of shaky and weak. I could hardly hold the probe for and Echo I was just doing. Can’t figure out if it’s call worthy or not. 
  • @carrotsandpeas3 look up Goodrx on google and see if the drug falls under them to get a discount. We give these cards to our patients and some have saved hundreds on their prescriptions. Also sometimes other pharmacies are much cheaper (Walmart is usually cheaper than CVS) or even look up smaller “mom & pop” compounds near you. 
  • @jcbuck1020 and @calliah Do you take a combo of protein and carbs with your snacks? That can help keep your blood sugar steady. 
  • So I saw a bit of a discussion about the owlet monitor sock on the product spotlight thread but the OP said that the thread wasn't for baby sleep gear so I didn't want to hijack the thread any further. 
    But can we talk about it?? I didn't want it with my first pregnancy, the idea of strapping a monitor on a newborns foot seemed kind of excessive to me. 
    TW loss

That was before I gave birth to a stillborn and had the nightmare of watching a failed resuscitation.
    Now I'm petrified of ever having a baby who stops breathing again, maybe the monitor might be a good idea? 
    Anybody else been in a similar boat and is glad they got it? Tell me your positive stories about how it helped! Thank you 
  • This is controversial, and I don't care - it works for us. We practice safe co sleeping. My oldest had a bit of an apnea and would stop breathing in his sleep. Because I was right next to him, I heard it happen and all I had to do was blow in his face to get him to take a breath. He didn't even wake up.

There are a lot of contraindications for co sleeping, but if you look into it and can honestly say you'll follow every rule, it can be very safe. The horror stories you hear are from people who shouldn't have been co sleeping. They were overweight, medicated, drinking, or over tired. Their bed had too many pillows, heavy blankets. They put the baby between the parents. These are all big no no's and there are others. Dr. Sears explains how to do it safely and the benefits of it to Mom and baby on his website.

Flame away but I slept better and my kid didn't stop breathing and never start again. When he needed me, I didn't have to get up and get him, I just patted his back, blew in his face, gave him a dream feed, and went back to sleep. He didn't have to wake up completely and start crying to get my attention. I would just feel him get agitated. So he slept more and to this day sleeps like a champ.

If having baby in your bed is too much for you, put them in your room. Again, you won't have to rely on a monitor because you can hear them breathing. And you'll hear if they stop. It's crazy but it's true. Even from a deep sleep, you will be so tuned into this baby you'll notice if their breathing pattern changes. I trust a mother's natural instinct over a monitor every day. 

If I didn't have my kids right next to me, I'd get some kind of monitor. Babies weren't built to sleep alone and their breath patterns mirror ours. Even their heartbeats line up with ours. I don't have time to find the studies showing that. It's been 8 years since I did this research for the first time. But based on that research, if my baby had to sleep alone in a different room from me, then I'd have some kind of monitor. 
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020
  • @BLuvsE I coslept with DD and it saved my sanity! I did tons of reading too and if you really dig you can find a ton of information that supports the benefits of it. At 11 months we transitioned to the crib and she has slept on her own ever since. So it’s a myth that once you bring them into your bed, they will be there forever. 

DS actually slept better in his crib from day one and I just had a bed in the nursery that I slept in next to him and laid in to nurse him. 

I’m for sure team “do whatever you need for YOUR baby”. 

• @JLaVO888 I love the videos of parents co sleeping where you can see the mom take care of the baby and she doesn't even remember doing it the next day. I'll have to see if I can find them. There is one going around now of an older kid. He and Mom are both asleep and suddenly mom sits straight up and grabs a bowl. Then the kid also wakes up and pukes into the bowl. The mom reacted BEFORE he puked. 
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15

Currently
  • @kalesix3 I was in a similar situation and chose not to get one, for the same reason I didn’t get a Doppler to monitor the heart rate during pregnancy. I though, and still
    think, it would exasperate and not help my anxiety.  I coslept (baby next to me in bassinet, not bedsharing) and breast fed and did nothing to stop the natural “startle” reflex that wakes a baby and helps regulate breathing. Having baby next to me to wake up and check on whenever I needed to worked best for us. I don’t fault those who chose a monitor, but it wasn’t the best choice for me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps so much!
    I'm actually %100 in favor of cosleeping, it was my plan last time and it stands now. So I'd cosleep AND have the monitor if I was going to go that route. That might be excessive though... I know
    baby will be right beside me.. but I  do struggle a bit with my intuition after everything that's happened, what if I don't know baby stopped breathing.. what if I sleep too heavy, what if I just miss the signs.. that's my thought process now anyways. 
    Also I hope nobody gets flamed for cosleeping, especially when they've researched and made the smartest choice for their family! ❤️

@Kurtni I do understand the reasoning behind not doing the home dopplers during pregnancy, and I think that's wise because unlimited Doppler useage isn't the safest thing as far as all the research I've seen. 
    I do have a fetal stethoscope though and I think we're all able to make the choice that feels best, whether that's not adding more anxiety or preffering to be able to listen to baby in between visits. I think some women really do need the reassurance and others don't.  Pregnancy and parenting is definitely not a one size fits all! 
    The thing about having the stethoscope is that you have to learn belly mapping to use it, so I personally feel it helps to connect to baby, specifically because I don't do routine early sonograms. 

• Anyone else keeping their kids home from daycare while the schools are closed?  Massachusetts pretty much shut everything down today and my husband doesn’t think DS should go to daycare.

I know not everyone can keep their kids home, I can only do it when my MIL is available to come over.
  • @slord33 We were planning to send DD to daycare this week (she goes Monday & Wednesday) but I started having major guilt and anxiety about it this weekend. Our daycare sent an email imploring those who were able to keep their kids home, so I'm going to. I can WFH and I'll just try to get as much as I can done with a 2 year old running around.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @kalesix3 I do think the monitor AND co sleeping is a little much. But I also remember after my son's first apnea episode (he grew out of it quickly) I couldn't fall asleep for the first few nights because I didn't trust myself. I think when I finally did fall asleep and still was about to wake when he needed me, I finally started to trust myself.

If it helps you sleep, get it. Just make sure it didn't just malfunction before rushing to the hospital if it goes off
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15

Currently
  • @BLuvsE that's encouraging to know, I'll definitely hold off on the monitor then. I'm glad your son outgrew his episodes! 
  • I’m 11 weeks and 2 days, and I think I’m feeling some movement. From what I’ve read online this seems too early but the description of what it feels like is consistent with what I’m feeling. Anyone else?
  • pelomamapelomama member
    edited March 2020
    kalesix3 said:
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps so much!
    I'm actually %100 in favor of cosleeping, it was my plan last time and it stands now. So I'd cosleep AND have the monitor if I was going to go that route. That might be excessive though... I know
    baby will be right beside me.. but I  do struggle a bit with my intuition after everything that's happened, what if I don't know baby stopped breathing.. what if I sleep too heavy, what if I just miss the signs.. that's my thought process now anyways. 
    Also I hope nobody gets flamed for cosleeping, especially when they've researched and made the smartest choice for their family! ❤️

@Kurtni I do understand the reasoning behind not doing the home dopplers during pregnancy, and I think that's wise because unlimited Doppler useage isn't the safest thing as far as all the research I've seen. 
    I do have a fetal stethoscope though and I think we're all able to make the choice that feels best, whether that's not adding more anxiety or preffering to be able to listen to baby in between visits. I think some women really do need the reassurance and others don't.  Pregnancy and parenting is definitely not a one size fits all! 
    The thing about having the stethoscope is that you have to learn belly mapping to use it, so I personally feel it helps to connect to baby, specifically because I don't do routine early sonograms. 

I coslept with both of mine and also had the monitor (for my 2nd). Only had 1 false alarm that seemed to have no cause. It might not help but I figure it can't really hurt. It was great when we moved him to his own room to see every breath on the app. 
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • @psmk521 for me movement felt like gas.  I didn’t feel my daughter until like 15-16 weeks though.  
  • @psmk521 I felt early movement with both of mine. Like 10-11 weeks. The first time I thought it was just gas, but by the second pregnancy I was familiar with the sensation and was 100% that's what it was. People thought I was lying. Whatever.
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15

Currently
  • Sorry I have a bit of a backstory to my question and a TW. 
    I had an early ultrasound last week at 6 weeks, during the ultrasound they found I have 2 large cysts on my ovaries. *****TW*****
    I was sent to the ER for what they thought could be an ectopic pregnancy on both of my ovaries. I had tests run and was sent home to wait 7 days for another ultrasound. I had another ultrasound today baby is growing in uterus and it had been basically unheard of to have a uterine pregnqncy as well as 2 ectopics. Sooo baby is growing on course and all is well with baby.
    ***TW OVER****
    So my question is has anyone had a pregnancy with cysts on their ovaries? How did it go? Did the cysts grow during your pregnancy? Any issues? Did you need surgery? 
    My cysts are measuring 9cm and 4.5 cm. The 9cm one is worrisome to me. 

• @dogmomnowbabymom - While I haven't completed a pregnancy in the past, I am in the same boat as you. I have cysts on both of my ovaries: 6cm on my right and 3cm on my left. My OB does not seem concerned, but I'm going to ask again about them on Monday since I've been assigned a new OB for this pregnancy, and I sometimes feel pain there from time to time.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Question about bras... very soon I will not fit into mine anymore. Is it worth me getting 1-2 new regular bras (8w2d), or should I just skip straight to maternity bras? Then the fun of trying to buy them while the world is on lockdown.....
  • @dogmomnowbabymom I evidently had cysts on my ovaries but didn’t find out until my csection, and I had a lot of ultrasounds so I’m not sure how they were missed but it didn’t cause me any issues. I’ve had painful ovarian cysts in the past but they weren’t during my pregnancy. 

@angela444 I’m 12 weeks and have started wearing maternity bras. I think I’d rather invest in a few nice maternity bras than go up a size every couple months. Target and Motherhood Maternity have good online options, and free returns. 
    Pregnancy Ticker