October 2020 Moms
Options

When is it Hardest to Keep the Secret of Being Pregnant?

I can legit  keep secrets most of the time... blame it on the hormones BUT my emotions are making it hard keep 1st Trimester to our inner circle. The other day a friend showed me a pic of a baby and I started crying haha it was a dead giveaway! 

When have been the hardest times for you to keep the secret? 

My hubby and I live overseas (Chad Africa) & my parents are coming to visit when I’m 13 weeks pregnant SO we decided to wait to tell them in person. It’s their first grandchild! The other day I was on the phone with my dad and he started talking about local beers and my mom recently booked a safari. Haha two things I won’t be doing when they come visit... but alas the secret still undercover!! 

Re: When is it Hardest to Keep the Secret of Being Pregnant?

• Options
    I i find it hard to not tell my mom. My parents are going on vacation so I’m going to tell them when they get back. But I almost mention it every time we talk on accident. 
    I also am excited to tell my kids, but I know once I tell my 4 year old everyone will know
  • Options
    @courtneyjoy247, congrats on your pregnancy. I personally told my mom and sisters right away so I don’t have to keep it a secret. 

Please introduce yourself on the introductions thread if you haven’t already and read through our board organization thread. We try to stay away from one off posts because it keeps the board clutter free and most posts fit within one we already have. This would be been great in our questions thread or randoms thread. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @profmcgonagall O sorry did I do something wrong? I had introduced myself and read the Board Organization thread. The Do’s said the check if the question was existing already & to post a thread if it applied to lots of people & wasn’t a daily thread. Are we not supposed to ask each other questions?  Just thought it would be a fun discussion.  
  • Options
    @20tiebreaker20 I love that you’re gunna tell them when they get back in person!! That’s exactly why I’m waiting- I think it’ll make the celebration sweeter!! 🤔🥳

Little people do seem to have the tendency to spill the beans without realizing it!! 
  • Options
    I think this is fine as a GTKY post 🤷‍♀️ 

The only people I find it hard to keep a secret from are the friends we go out to eat and drink with frequently. But I just say I’m driving and they’ll buy that for awhile. My friends are fortunately sensitive to my prior losses and wouldn’t ask me even if they suspected so it hasn’t been an issue so far. I’ve only told my mom and sister for babysitters for my appointments. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @courtneyjoy247 you didn’t do anything wrong per se. Introducing yourself is great, it’s an important first step. Since you haven’t been participating in the daily posts much it’s hard to recognize you. IMO this post is fine, but please participate so we can truly get to know you! 

I don’t think it’s that hard to keep it a secret, aside from mini who is by my side 24/7 unless at school. But, I already told my mom, sister, and a close friend because it’s important to me to have support in case of the worst. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've told my sister and husband but I'm having so much trouble at work bc two of my work besties are pregnant too and I want to tell them, but I'm not ready for all of work to know yet. Planning on waiting until 12 weeks for that. 
  • Options
    I find it so difficult! I’m in the construction industry and hang out with a group of mostly guys. As soon as I wasn’t drinking anything it was basically out. The only people I have left to tell that aren’t in our close inner circle are my husbands parents and our children. I’m letting him take his time with them :). Otherwise I really had a hard time keeping it to myself.
  • Options
    MH and I have almost slipped up in front of our 5 year old numerous times. I’d say she is the hardest to keep it from, especially with me vomiting constantly. We plan to tell her for her birthday towards the end of March as long as we've heard the HB by then. 
  • Options
    We have a hard time keeping it a secret. I had to tell my work since I'm in the military and we're required to inform our chain of command within two weeks of finding out. MH told his work mainly because **TW** we had an early loss last Fall, so he wanted them to know in case it happens again and he needs time off. **End TW** 

So far, we've told our parents and siblings, and also our best friends (who we have chosen as godparents). That's pretty much it. We're waiting until after our first US/possibly till 2nd trimester before going public on social media.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Options
    It has been hard to keep the secret, but I really don’t want to tell people until after our first US and the genetic testing results are back. My husband had to tell his business partner because they are planning some crazy 300+ mile ultramarathon event that was going to be in mid-October! Other than him and my husband no one else knows. I have a feeling that people will start to suspect before I tell because my belly already has a little bump and my stomach is normally flat. Last time I waited until 17 weeks to tell work, but everyone already knew! 
  • Options
    We told my mom early. When we had our loss, we hadn't told anyone but told our family after the fact, so I knew I'd tell her in that event anyway. And she watches DD Thursday and Friday while I work from home so it would've been too hard to hold it in being around her all day. Her response was, "I knew it!" I hate that response.

DH hounded his mom to come visit us next weekend even though she has a trip planned in April, so I have a feeling she might have a similar response.

So honestly I'm kind of over telling people. We ask DD (2 y/o) a lot if she wants a baby brother or sister and she always says yes. I'm most excited to tell her honestly, even though she won't really even grasp it.

Oh and I told my previous BMB and DH told his work BFF, his boss, and two of his best friends because he has to miss one of their weddings at the end of September across the country.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    It’s super hard because it’s our first and we know our parents on both sides are going to be ecstatic. I have my first appointment today so I think I’ll tell my mom after that. Then we may wait until after our first US to tell more of our circle. Haven’t decided when I’ll tell work but I hope to be able to go on leave right through the holidays. 
  • Options
    Well apparently mines pretty much not a secret at all anymore. DD told everyone At her school which I knew was a possibility but we told her early on with my last pregnancy and I really felt it was good for her to have lots of time to process it and also be excited with us. I keep checking that “odds of not having a MC” thread because I’m just feeling like having it out in the open is jinxing us a tad. Otherwise I really suck a secrets in general so it doesn’t bug me for people to know. DH and I’ve told some friends too and we always tell our close family right away. 
  • Options
    @westslopemama same here with the genetic testing, that's when we announced last time. So far in laws know because they wanted to plan a cruise at Christmas, and well, that's definitely not happening. I told a couple of very close friends and will tell my mom and parents after the genetic testing. Some people know that we were trying so they are being a little less curious this time, and even when I don't drink it didn't look like a big deal. It's easier when families are out of town, but I can't wait to tell my mom!
  • Options
    I’ve been telling people, like our friends, as it comes up. We told our small group from church this week since they were so supportive during **TW: Loss** our loss in October. **End TW** We have told close friends, our parents and siblings. I haven’t told my four year old yet because he had a hard time in October. Hopefully we will have a good ultrasound Monday and I’ll feel better about everything. 
  • Options
    I’m not really struggling with not telling people.   However we have a couple of events with family over the next month, one of which is my MIL coming to stay with us for two days.  She and I normally drink a lot of wine together so I’m not sure how I’m going to get through that.  Or deal with MS if she’s in the house.  
  • Options
    I’m having a hard time not telling the whole world! We’ve told close friends just as we see them, plus our parents and siblings. The hardest part for me is probably work. My boss knows. But I want to tell my team to explain the sick day I took, the random eating, the pregnancy brain, fatigue, etc. I think I’ll tell my team in 3-5 more weeks. 
  • Options
    We’ve only told our close family at this point. All of my side of the family knew we were trying so they found out one day after our BFP. DH’s work family is awesome and he’s having the hardest time not telling any for them until our first US. I’m a terrible liar so going out for drinks with them last night and being the DD for him was not fun  :D definitely sure that they’re all suspicious at this point. 
  • Options
    I'm really excited to tell my 4.5yo DD - she's going to be super excited. We are telling my parents this weekend. 
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • Options
    I'm working one on one this week with a close coworker who is 16 weeks pregnant and super observant. My nausea kicked into high gear this weekend, so I think I might just tell her today rather than make some feeble attempt to try to hide it. Just makes me nervous to tell anyone before the first appointment.
  • Options
    I’ve been pretty bad at keeping it secret this time around, mostly b/c there are so many pregnant women around me at work I think. I haven’t told my mom yet b/c I’m honestly worried. She is my “nanny” for my son and she has hinted multiple times that she didn’t think that she could take care of 2. I‘m dreading the childcare situation. I’ll tell her after I have an US later this week I think. Same with the in laws. 
  • Options
    We’re not telling anyone yet other than our parents. Today at my first US appointment, I ran into my SILs boss. I recognized her, idk if she recognized me. So we will see if she mentions it to my SIL.