October 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Vitamins/Supplements

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Vitamins/Supplements!
FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!
For all....
What vitamins or supplements do you recommend or not recommend?

Next up: Pillows/Sleep Gear

Re: Product Spotlight: Vitamins/Supplements

• Options
    I am currently taking the Nature Made prenatal with DHA, and the Nature Made B6 tablets. I find both difficult to swallow, the prenatals because they are huge, and the B6 because they start to dissolve the second they touch my tongue and taste horrific. 

Any thoughts on a smaller prenatal? Even if it means you need to take more than one. And any thoughts on a coated or capsule form of B6? I looked at our local whole foods but they only have tablets. 
  • Options
    @fitzfizz Same prenatal vitamin here and i hate how huge they are. I wanted to do gummies but none of the gummies have iron as far as I’ve been able to see. I am the worst pill swallower so any suggestions on a smaller pill or a gummy that has iron. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @fitzfizz all of the smaller prenatals I've found don't have DHA (I think that's typically what makes them huge). I take the same one you do. I looked for a separate DHA pill thinking that I could maybe just take it separately but I didn't find one in my cursory search, plus I already have 6 mo worth of the nature made ones to get through.
  • Options
    This is what I’m taking.   I did a lot of research.  I’m really happy with it.   The pills aren’t huge and they don’t upset my stomach.  
    Actif Organic Prenatal Vitamin with 25+ Organic Vitamins, 100% Natural, DHA, EPA, Omega 3, and Organic Herbal Blend - Non-GMO, 90 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVYT5RL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xsswEbF741Q4T
  • Options
    If price is a concern ask your OB about free or cheap prenatals. I had to do an internet search and lots of scrolling to find the ones I took. They sound pretty generic, Virtus VP-PNV-DHA, they were free at one pharmacy, but $10 or $20 at Walgreens. Aside from being free I really liked that they were very lightly scented like vanilla to make it easier to take. 

@fitzfizz the only one I know of that’s small is a prescription, PrenateMini.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have been taking Smarty Pants prenatal gummies. They have everything except iron, but I’ve never done iron during pregnancy and had no issues. They taste really good, like a fruit snack lol.
  • Options
    I have been taking the Zahler prenatal. It's two softgels, though they are a hit large. But they have methlyfolate, methycobalamin and DHA. I ran out about a week ago and have been taking Thorne prenatal in the meantime. The Thorne are 3 capsules which shouldn't be bad. But I absolutely dread taking them every night. They're hard for me to take without gagging for some reason and they make my nausea so much worse when they hit my stomach. I'm definitely planning to go back to Zahler for a bit till morning sickness calms down. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Gummies are great for those with morning sickness or can’t stomach the huge horse pills. Also good if you’re getting constipated from your vitamins. I was anemic with my DD pregnancy and the gummies don’t contain iron, so I take floradix iron. It’s non constipating and liquid. 
  • Options
    @dolewhipper Can I buy it at any drug store? I was anemic with my first pregnancy too. 
  • Options
    themoonandmethemoonandme member
    edited February 2020
    I'm taking Goop vitamins and highly do not recommend them if you hate big pills/lots of pills/vitamin burps. I took Baby & Me for my last two pregnancies and thought those were more reasonable. Goop comes in a handy packet which I love, but there are 7 pills (!) in each packet and the biggest one is like an inch long.
  • Options
    I get my prenatal from CVS pharmacy and they only cost me $2.51 a month. I’m low in vitamin D though so I picked up the Nature Made brand of Vitamin D supplements today. Wondering if anyone else has experience with these or any vitamin D supplements?
  • Options
    @amandarenee89 I just had a physical and apparently I'm a bit low in D as well although it's borderline. She told me to add 1000 IU to the prenatals.

I'm taking Rainbow One Prenatals. It's a big pill but I'm fine taking it at lunch. I also take the DHA and started that at TTC. those are Nordic Naturals. Both are expensive but I figured it's worth it and I hear gummies don't have iron which I'm also borderline low on. I think as long as you can stomach them and they have all the essentials, it doesn't really matter much. My doctor suggested DHA from the beginning though so I'd check on that because most Prenatals don't have it or don't have enough.
  • Options
    @babycakesday I find it at a natural health food store or Whole Foods. Sometimes I can find it at a vitamin store. I used to get it at Luckys Market (rip)
  • Options
    Rainbow Lite Prenatal with DHA etc. they are big and they definitely have a taste when you go to swallow them but I got a great deal on them and a bunch of people recommended them when I was pregnant with DS2. 
  • Options
    I loved rainbow lite with my last two. They didn’t make me vomit (a few other brands did) and kept me from being constipated which was also an issue for my last two pregnancies. I also loved that they had a ton of extra calcium because I’m lactose intolerant and my teeth got so brittle with my first pregnancy. I was sad to see they just changed their product though and no longer have near as much calcium. I switched to a different brand that I cannot remember the name of. They taste and smell about the same. 
  • Options
    As soon as I told my primary doctor we were thinking of trying he wrote me a prescription to a prenatal called Rutgers. The pill is pink and medium sized. Not difficult to get down and no weird taste. With insurance they cost $2 a month so I’m definitemy going to stick with these. They don’t contain DHA so I added a vegan sourced omega 3 from a company called Sapling. So far so good!