May 2020 Moms

Birth Hopes

Since we've started talking about L&D, thought it would be a good time to start the discussion around birth hopes (or plans, but I like hopes better because you know what they say about the best laid plans). When I was a FTM I had no idea about the different things that might happen or the choices I might be presented with. I actually found the book Birth Plans for Dummies (yep, that exists) really helpful in laying out different things (though I think it might be a little outdated, at least if you're in an area where medicine is practiced more at the cutting edge. For example, the book suggested episiotomies were commonplace and that's not true in Boston.)

What do you hope for in your L&D experience? What questions do you have? 
DD #1: April 2017
DD #2: May 2020
Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

Re: Birth Hopes

• Loading the player...
  • @catem07 Good point! I was GBS+ and needed the antibiotics. We just barely got both doses in before birth. In fact once my water broke I immediately had the urge to push. They got me in bed and the IV came out of my arm in the process. I just wanted to push and they were more concerned about getting the IV back in to finish the last 10 minutes of the dose.

I'm hoping to avoid being GBS+ this time. If I do test positive at 36 weeks I think I will ask to get the test again closer to my due date in hopes that it changes.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @mamaj1220 what is your hospital’s policy on partners staying over? Do you not have a private room?
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07 they were in the process of redoing the maternity wing when I had DS1 (like seriously he was one of the last babies born on the old wing) and even then partners could stay if you were not doubled up, the night he was born there were five women waiting for a delivery room so because I was able to stand up and go pee I got moved to a double (my nurse tried to keep me in bed as long as possible to avoid this but I really had to pee haha). The second night he was able to stay. This time it is all private rooms (with birthing tubs in each room-I am really excited about this) so he can stay with us though with DS1 being home (siblings cannot stay) I am not sure what we will do.
  • @bananapanda Back labor is horrific and definitely worse than "regular" labor. Having a c-section after two hours of pushing is a special kind of torture, so I think avoiding that scenario is a great goal to have.
  • @heyybritt Totally understand/ my number one hope: "4) MH's family has a history of 10lb+ babies, so I hope baby is not quite as big as my MIL keeps telling me he will be." Baby was measuring only at 67 percentile at ultrasound and that was SO reassuring. Fingers crossed.
    Our Journey:
    Me: 40
    TTC since 2017
    3/18-9/18- IUI's
    11/18- IVF #1
    1/19- IVF #2
    8/19- DE Cycle #1- 5 PGS tested normal
    9/19- FET #1- SUCCESS! May 2020
    10/21- FET #2- SUCCESS! July 2022
  • cmhme said:
    @heyybritt Totally understand/ my number one hope: "4) MH's family has a history of 10lb+ babies, so I hope baby is not quite as big as my MIL keeps telling me he will be." Baby was measuring only at 67 percentile at ultrasound and that was SO reassuring. Fingers crossed.
    Because bodies and biology are smart, generally mom's body and line have more control of baby size at birth-even if baby is destined to be super large shortly thereafter.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker