July 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Diapering and Diapering Accessories

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Remember, the community is welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight.
FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week it's... Diapering (& accessories, not including diaper bags)

for ALL:
Are you thinking Cloth or Disposable?
Why?

for STM/+s: 
What are your favorite brands/types/sizes to use?
Is there a rash cream/wipe/etc. you swear by?
Any other diapering accessories can you not live without (e.g. diaper pail)? 
If you have previously use cloth diapers, what brands / tips and tricks do you recommend?
& if yes to the above, did you use a cleaning service or DIY/which would you recommend?

for FTMS:
Are there any products related to diapering you're interested in?
Any questions for S+TMs re: diapering & related products?

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Diapering and Diapering Accessories

• Options
    What are your favorite brands/types/sizes to use? We using Pampers Swaddlers in the beginning but switched to, I think, Huggies from Costco eventually b/c diapers are $$$.
    I highly recommend the Kirkland (Coscto) brand wipes. They're much bigger than other wipes, well priced, and I feel like they're just better in general. 

Regarding sizing... pro tip: size up on overnight diapers for sleep once they start peeing through their diapers. 

Is there a rash cream/wipe/etc. you swear by? Desitin Max is the best.... if you ever have a REALLY bad rash, ask me for my diaper cream recipe. Our pedi recommended it when DD had the worst rash I've ever seen because of a reaction to an antibiotic. It works like a charm!

Any other diapering accessories can you not live without (e.g. diaper pail)? Diaper Genie, this stupid butt spatula thingy that DH got, randomly, but we love, wipe warmer (not a must but we liked having one), I think that's it?

• Options
    Diapers: 
    I considered cloth diapers with DD, but by the time it came around to research them, I was so researched out and just wanted to do easy and disposable. Sorry, earth. :lol: We had mostly Pampers swaddlers stocked up, but she had a blowout like 2 days after bringing her home and I blamed the diapers. (It was likely me not putting it on right, but that's beside the point.) So then we switched to Huggies b/c that's what they used during her NICU stay so obviously they must be best. We've stuck with Huggies though from then until now! No complaints. We do also use the Huggies overnights too, but we didn't start buying those until she was STTN.
    Wipes: I 100% love Huggies wipes best because they are the only ones (that I've tried) that will come out one at a time easily using only one hand and they're thick and held up well to lots of poop. They have since stopped carrying them at my Costco though, so we switched to the Costco brand (Kirkland). They're fine, but I miss the ease of Huggies. 

DD thankfully has a pretty tough bottom and she didn't need diaper cream much. When we did use it, we used Boudreaux's Max Strength Butt Paste because that's what we had. *shrug* It worked, but I don't have anything else to compare it to since that's all we ever used.
    Link: 

We have the Dekor Plus diaper pail and really like it. It does a good job containing the smell in my opinion. It's also what they use at DD's daycare, so you know it's gotta be good if it's used in a daycare! lol
    Link:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    @stlbuckeye132 the one at a time thing is the big thing I hear complaints about for Costco wipes.... but it didn't ever bother us. I'd rather have too many than not quite enough wipe :D 

I didn't love Boudreaux's butt paste but only really tried it once or twice. The light brown color weirded me out bahaha... but I do feel like it smells good... or better than regular cream. Am I hallucinating? lol
  • Options
    @blaf322 haha! Since it's the only diaper cream I ever used, I just thought that was the color of all of them! Who knew. It does smell pretty decent I think! Not offensive anyway.
  • Options

Diapers:
    I also considered cloth diapering DS for a hot minute, but that didn't last long, and I have zero regrets going disposable. We ended up being a Huggies family. They just ended up fitting his bum a little better than Pampers. I also heard really good things about the Costco Brand, but no experience
    Wipes: I think in the beginning we ended up researching/using some eco-friendly brand (can't remember), but we switched over to the Costco Kirkland brand pretty quick and have never looked back. We use them for everything though. Have them in the car, bathrooms, dining table, etc. I feel like we'll be buying wipes until the kids are teenagers! 

DS has a pretty solid bum, so we barely had any use for diaper cream, but when we do need it, we also had the Boudreaux's butt paste, and I believe I sent the Desitin brand to daycare for them to use when needed.

Any other diapering accessories can you not live without (e.g. diaper pail)?  We somehow managed to get by with a good garbage can from Walmart and DH was in charge of taking the bags out each night :) I do think we'll invest in a Diaper Genie or some type of pail this time around, even if I find it on some used Mom/Buy/Sell group.

• Options
    +1 for Costco diapers and wipes.  Once we ran out of diapers that were gifted to us, we totally went for that.  

Also +1 for Boudreaux's Butt Paste.  My mom's maiden name is Boudreaux, so obviously I was gifted approximately 141822557412  tubes of that stuff.  Thank fully it worked well for DS!  
  • Options
    We never considered cloth diapering. I remember when I unwrapped the diaper pail at my baby shower, my mom looked at me in horror and said "you aren't going to cloth diaper???" I have no idea why she thought I would. More power to you if you are!

What are your favorite brands/types/sizes to use? We also used Pampers swaddlers for a while because that's what they used in the hospital. At some point I switched to Pampers Pure which we like but obviously they are more expensive. Haven't tried a different brand other than Pampers so I can't compare, but I think they hold in the mess pretty well. A blowout is a blowout though, no matter what kind of diaper you use lol.

Is there a rash cream/wipe/etc. you swear by? We were gifted a huge box of the Costco Kirkland brand wipes so we used them for a few months and they were great, then when they ran out I started ordering the Amazon brand sensitive wipes using subscribe and save. They've worked out well. We've also been pretty lucky with avoiding really serious diaper rash but whenever it was bad (happens more frequently when they are little and pooping seemingly all the time, or when they get a tummy bug or are on antibiotics), we used Boudreaux's because that's what we had. I think daycare recommended a different kind but I'm blanking on it. The tip that the nurse at the pediatrician's office gave me when she was still a newborn and having diaper rash was that you want to make sure you let the area air-dry after changing/wiping (ideally with a wet paper towel not a wipe), then apply more paste than you think you need. She said to do it like you're frosting a cake (gross). But once I got that down it seemed to help the rash resolve quickly. The other tip is to not use wipes unless necessary. Honestly we don't/didn't really use wipes unless there was poop. Saves their skin a bit (and cuts down on how many wipes you use!).

Any other diapering accessories can you not live without (e.g. diaper pail)? I really like these Munchkin changing pad liners. They are waterproof so you throw one down on your changing pad and it can catch any mess that escapes while changing (or when they can roll over and do the alligator barrel roll while you're trying to change a poop diaper). They are machine washable.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Waterproof-Changing-Liners-Count/dp/B009UPUJIY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2FXAIAMC40ZIG&keywords=munchkin+changing+pad+liners&qid=1582056262&sprefix=munchkin+changin%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-4

• Options
    the rash convo reminds me... Water wipes are best when they have a rash b/c regular wipes burn rashed/broken. If the rash is really bad, to @meanjellybean's point, you only want to wipe off any solids. Otherwise, just apply more cream and put the diaper back on (if you're not doing diaper free time... which is also crucial with a bad rash).
  • Options
    treeofcheemtreeofcheem member
    edited February 2020
    Are you thinking Cloth or Disposable? Why?
    We do disposable. I was leaning towards cloth before our first, but MH was vehemently opposed to washing diapers in our own machine. I couldn't even find info on a diaper service near us, although what I see now looks pretty expensive. One of the local ones claims that the total cost over 18 months for their service vs disposable diapers is cheaper, but I can't figure out their math on that since their service costs like 3 times as much per month as a box of diapers.

for STM/+s: 
    I HATE the smell of Pampers, so we do not use those, ever. With our first, I used some of the "green" diapers the first few months, Bambo Nature and another brand I can't remember, but she was leaking through them a lot and we switched. Huggies were our go-to with her. We also used the Amazon diaper subscription when it was like 20% off; I was so disappointed that it had changed after DD2 was born!

We started off with Huggies with DD2, but I figured out the Kirkland diapers fit her better - and they're cheaper. We use the Target brand overnight diapers, although I have to size those up WAY before I size up in the regular daytime diapers.

I'm considering using some of the "green" diapers for the first few months with this next one. There seem to be more choices than there were 6 years ago. Then we'll probably switch to Kirkland because of cost, unless they don't fit well. Different brands fit different baby bodies differently, so don't be afraid to experiment if you're having issues (particularly with leaks/blowouts) with a certain brand.

I really like the Earth Mama diaper balm. If she's just starting to get a rash, I always use that. Aquaphor works really well for us, too. If DD2 has a true rash going (rather than just starting), I usually layer the two - Aquaphor over Earth Mama. We also have the Boudreaux Butt Paste stuff, and it worked well with DD1 but DD2 reacts badly to something in it.

Oh, and we use Water Wipes. I like that they really are basically just water.

We started off with just a small garbage can with DD1, but once she started eating solids and her poop was smellier, it was not adequate. I'm not interested in running every single diaper out the outdoor garbage, so we got a Diaper Genie. It's OK, not great.

I change the bag out whenever the smell seems to be hanging around past diaper changing time. Her room is small and doesn't get great airflow unless we open the window, so sometimes there's a definite smell just after I've changed her. I mean, her room is basically also her bathroom. It is what it is until she's potty trained.

Our newer one for DD2 works a little differently than the old one did, and it seems to hold in the smell better. The Arm & Hammer bags seem to also hold smell best - better than the Diaper Genie or Amazon or Target Up & Up ones. I realized only recently that you need to make sure the bag has a couple inches or so touching the bottom of the pail or it pulls the opening apart as it gets full and lets the smell waft out. Also, whenever possible I flush the poop. But if it's kind of smushy/gooey, I'm not going to wipe it off so those just go straight in the pail. I've looked at other brands of pails, but none of them exactly have glowing reviews so right now we just stick with what we know.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    FTM here.....has anyone tried Hello Bello diapers? Any opinions on them?
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• Options
    Are you thinking Cloth or Disposable? - we use disposable. I'm intrigued by cloth diapers, but not intrigued enough to use them. 

What are your favorite brands/types/sizes to use? - We use Pampers Swaddlers. I buy Huggies when they go on sale at Costco. Haven't had any issues with them (obviously or I would've switched already lol). 
    Is there a rash cream/wipe/etc. you swear by? - Baby girl has a pretty hardy butt as well, we use Penaten cream when she does get irritated. 
    I also swear by the Kirkland wipes. I've used Huggies wipes and I just find them kind of dinky in comparison. The Kirkland ones just seem so much stronger and more wet I guess. 
    I love my diaper genie. Got it used online for like 10$. Best 10$ I've ever spent. It keeps the smell in, we change the bag once a week and never have a problem with smell. Plan on getting a new used one for the new baby's room. We never had a wipes warmer and didn't miss it. 

• Options
    We used pampers swaddlers at first because they are the only preemie sizes you can find at the store, she wore preemies until she was 7 weeks old and finally could go in newborns. Just FYI in case you need preemie diapers, they come in packs of 27. 27 freaking diapers, which is essentially two days. So buy a bunch and return what you don’t use! We were going to target constantly at first until I started buying them out each time I went. They also don’t stock up as often as the regular sizes, so definitely buy more way before you run out. We moved to Kirkland brand once she fit in size 1. We liked them until she got to size 3 and the diapers started having the “active tab”. It’s essentially a little extra Velcro on the side near the tape part to help hold the side of the diaper in place. My daughter is so petite and very thin in the waist, so that part would always fold over and rub her raw. We moved to honest diapers because they are the only ones that don’t have that active tab. She fits well in them because she’s so lean, but I don’t know how well they would fit on a chunky baby. We also use the overnights and like them. 
    I like the Boudreaux’s green tube and the honest cream for slight rashes, but use the boudreaux’s red tube (extra strength) for antibiotic rashes or one that I don’t think will clear in a day. It is so thick, but it does it’s job when baby’s butt is raw. We’ve been pretty lucky and have not dealt with many diaper rashes. 
    I love the waterproof liners you put down on the changing pad, they are a life saver to just wash that and not the whole cover. I also keep dog poop bags in the diaper bag to bag dirty diapers when I am at friends houses. The “baby” ones are double the price, just buy the dog ones, they are the same size. 
    If you have previously use cloth diapers, what brands / tips and tricks do you recommend?
    I wanted to cloth, DH said no. 
    & if yes to the above, did you use a cleaning service or DIY/which would you recommend?
  • Options
    I hate the idea of using disposable, but I’ve also made my husband do almost all the diapering (I do I puts, he does outputs) and he is not into the cloth idea. So I can’t really force it. Plus, the few times I tried cloth and had to deal with poop, I always ended up spending a lot of time dry heaving and I apparently have a low tolerance for them. 

We do Kirkland everything. My mom always uses water wipes because the others bother her skin, but they are soooo wet, it’s kind of a pain. A friend sent me a ton of cloth wipes (just put them in a ziplock, add a little water, and basically the same as wipes. So I actually use those all the time when I’m just wiping down pee butts (never poo butts) and that saves quite a bit of wipes, at least. 

And we use aquifer for diaper cream. 

Also, I originally thought diaper genies were dumb, and just got a regular trash can with a lid. That lasted for exactly one diaper before we rushed out and got a diaper genie. It was toxic and smelled up the whole room!
  • Options
    @knockupthestock a friend of mine swears by HelloBello. Ive hear other good reviews as well. I want to try them out eventually.
  • Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited February 2020
    Are you thinking Cloth or Disposable?
    Why?
    Currently using disposables for DS and I’m planning to stick with them. I thought about cloth for half a second while pregnant with him but like every one else, convenience won out. 

for STM/+s: 
    I’m pretty conscious of materials/ingredients in the products we use. I love Seventh Generation. (More expensive, but I ALWAYS take advantage of Target’s frequent diaper sales. The ones that are “spend $, get this $ back in gift cards) We’ve been using them exclusively for DS since he was around 9ish months old. Dabbled with Honest Company, they’re just okay. 
    I was gifted a whole wide variety of Pampers/Huggies/etc products for my shower and hated all of them. Huggies leaked horribly for him and Pampers wipes gave him a diaper rash that wouldn’t quit until I switched him to Water Wipes. 

I use Water Wipes and Seventh Generation wipes. The Water Wipes I also use to clean his hands and face after a messy meal. 
    Earth Mama diaper balm is a great one. (Their nipple balm is also fantastic and I’ve used it as a diaper balm also. Similar ingredients). I just wish it wasn’t a jar, it feels less sanitary, even when avoiding double dipping. 

I know I’ve talked about this somewhere on here before but I’m Team No Diaper Pail. Just kept a plastic bag of diapers going in the laundry room (tucked away) and brought to outside trash at end of the day. As DS got older and had less diapers, we started just running smelly diapers right out to the trash can. For me, it’s worth not having one more “baby thing” taking up space in the house.

It’s not really an accessory, but I highly recommend making space for diapers/wipes in your main living space to avoid having to always make trips to the nursery, especially if you’re in a 2-story home. We kept a little diaper caddy in the living room and then eventually just put all of his diapers/wipes in an empty drawer in our entertainment stand. Convenient and hidden!

• Options
    kc0711 said:
    I love the waterproof liners you put down on the changing pad, they are a life saver to just wash that and not the whole cover. I also keep dog poop bags in the diaper bag to bag dirty diapers when I am at friends houses. The “baby” ones are double the price, just buy the dog ones, they are the same size. 
    Also +1 to those things ^^^! I keep a roll of the dog poo bags in the diaper bag.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    I never bought a changing table, I've always changed on my bed, couch and floor. I did buy a waterproof changing pad that i use for poop. Ive used that from when she was born on to now that shes almost 2. Its easy to wipe messes up and sanatize. I used pampers diapers in the beginning, but started to notice how expensive they were when she got older (when you get less diapers for the price) and so we switched to Luvs. I still use pampers 360 for nighttime because they absolutely do not leak for us. We've even tried night time diapers and they still leaked. I think pampers are the best if you have the money for them, they feel so much softer, but luvs is also very good. Ive used butt paste for any rashes and it is always gone the next day. I cant think of the exact name, but its a red container with a cartoon baby and says "butt paste" on it. Ive used it when she was a baby and her armpits and under neck would get chapped and would helped with that too. Im having a boy soon and will use all of these for him. 
  • Options
    FTM, I have a question about diaper changing in general. I was reading about whether you’re supposed to use diaper cream every time you change baby’s diaper. I basically discovered it’s a personal preference. Some people do to prevent diaper rash. Others used a basic Vaseline at each diaper change and only used actual diaper cream when there was a sign of a developing rash. Others used a cornstarch baby powder. 

I get that every bum is different, but I’m hoping to get some tips and comments about this subject from those of you who have weathered it. Also looking for product recommendations that aren’t rash creams (destin and Boudreaux’s). I’m pretty solid on what to do when the bum’s inflamed. Don’t let them sit in wet diapers, got it. 

I’m looking for those momma ninja skills you don’t discover until you’re living it. Hope that makes sense. 
  • Options
    for STM/+s: 
    We usually start with pampers swaddlers and as baby gets bigger we switch to a more affordable brand. My DD uses luvs right now and we have no issues with them. I was a pampers brand snob as a FTM and that quickly changed with how expensive they get plus i came to my senses that other brands are fine to use lol.
    We usually only use the A&D. I hated Destin.  I swear its so thick and you cant get the stuff off ever. It just annoyed me the consistency of it. 

I recommend the changing pad liners that go on top of your changing pad cover. That way if baby makes a mess you dont have to remove the entire cover just wash the liner and remember onesies can be removed down instead of over the head with blow outs! The shoulders are designed to remove there shirts down instead of over the head. :)
  • Options
    @amygray725 I used aquaphor for nighttime diapers only (as a protective layer to prevent rash if she slept through but was wet). I only used actual diaper cream (Desitin Max) when she had a rash. I'm of the mindset that you don't put medication on something that doesn't need it. So diaper cream all the time is unnecessary, IMO. We didn't put anything on during the day unless we felt there was a need.