October 2020 Moms

Spotting/Bleeding Support Thread

I saw this on another BMB, and thought it would be a good place for users to turn to with their questions specifically pertaining to spotting/bleeding during their pregnancy, without having to constantly include a TW/spoiler tag in the General Questions thread.

All conversation surrounding these issues should go here. The TW in the title applies for the whole thread. Please beware of reading ahead if you think you might be triggered by conversations about spotting/bleeding. 

Finally, remember that most of us are not medical professionals, and even if we were, it's always best to call/visit your doctor with questions or concerns. Feel free to ask questions and voice concerns, but please do not expect anyone here to be able to offer you anything but support.  The most important thing to do is to call your doctor. They can offer answers; we can offer support.
Me: 37 / DH: 41
Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

Re: Spotting/Bleeding Support Thread

•  After so many miscarriages and an ectopic, I panic whenever I start spotting with cramps. Thank God it never got heavy (Only there after using the potty and the color was dark brown with phlegm/mucus and it changed to dark red). Lasted for a week.  I tested again and my lines are still stronger than the control line.  My OB will see me in 2 weeks, praying to see  a heartbeat then. 

Sorry for the typos. This app is annoying.
  • Would have been nice to read some replies, comments or even some sort of support from here but I guess it's not needed now.  Turns out am having an ectopic pregnancy for the 2nd time. Prepping to have my tubes removed.  I wish you all the best in this journey. Praying all goes well for each and every one of you.
  • Loading the player...
  • @azzuba  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm sad to hear this news.  Please take care of yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @azzuba I am so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself and I hope your recovery from surgery goes well. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• @azzuba very sorry to hear this. Sending you positive energy to get through this difficult time. 
  • @azzuba I’m so sorry for your loss.
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • @azzuba my apologies, you didn't ask a question, so I was waiting for an update once you had seen your OB. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself. 
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• You're right. Let's blame the hormones. Thank you very much I appreciate. 
  • @azzuba I'm very sorry for your loss ❤️
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @azzuba I’m just seeing this for the first time. My heart is breaking right now. I can’t imagine. I had my ectopic last year during this time, they took my left tube, and it’s not fucking fair this happened to you again. 

One thing my dr told me last week was that even if I did get another ectopic, there’s IVF. I know that’s not always a possibility for some people, but I pray it is for you, if you want it. May I ask when your surgery is? I’d love to follow up with you, and pray for you if that’s ok
  • @dolewhipper thank you. It's scheduled for next week.  I got 2  shots of methotrexate. Hoping it works in time for my surgery. I'll hate to go through a rupture so am on bedrest for now.  No IVF for us😔😔. We have 2 beautiful girls and very content and lucky have them. 
  • Thank you ladies. I appreciate it. 
  • @azzuba I am so sorry to see this. Thinking of you and praying for you. I’m glad you have your two girls to comfort you. ♥️
  • @azzuba I’m so sorry to read about your losses. I am however thankful that it won’t be something you will have to worry about going forward, and you have your beautiful girls with you. Mine never ruptured after my methotrexate, and the head of OB at my hospital was surprised (they didn’t find it until 7 weeks). I’ll be thinking of you, love. 
  • @azzuba I'm so sorry, I somehow missed this thread. Please keep us posted, I will be thinking of you. Your girls are a blessing for sure. Thank you for the well wishes for the rest of us too. Please take care of yourself, your body has been through so much! Snuggle your littles tight ♥️
  • Looking for some insight...went into the ER yesterday because I had some major cramping and passed what looked like 2 small red-brown clots. They were very small, but large enough to know they were there. On ultrasound, I measured right at 6 weeks and 2 days (my exact lmp date), and a yolk sac is present. However, that's about it....nothing else in there. My hcg was around 38,000. The doctor said with an hcg that high and to measure at 6 weeks 2 days there should be some evidence of a fetal pole, but there isnt. I'm going back tomorrow for a recheck hcg, but has anyone gotten this far ultrasonographically and not had a fetus develop? The ultrasound tech seemed hopeful, the doctor not so much.
  • @futuredvmmama no advice but I’m keeping you in my t&ps. 
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • @futuredvmmama is your appt today? @azzuba when is your surgery? Thinking of you ladies. 
  • @futuredvmmama glad your numbers look good. I’m sure you’re still really in your head about it all though. Lots of hugs to get you through to March! 
  • Hi all. Back in November I had a dilation and evacuation due to loss of 19week fetus. She passed due to Turner Syndrome. Doctor said could wait two full cycles before trying to conceive. I did that and as of 2/7 and several other morning voids up to 2/17 all positive pregnancy tests. I am roughly 5 weeks based off last period. Yesterday I had pink spotting and today I am having brown discharge. It is only when I wipe. I am not experiencing any cramping but pretty bloated today. Any ideas? 
  • blt4820 said:
    Hi all. Back in November I had a dilation and evacuation due to loss of 19week fetus. She passed due to Turner Syndrome. Doctor said could wait two full cycles before trying to conceive. I did that and as of 2/7 and several other morning voids up to 2/17 all positive pregnancy tests. I am roughly 5 weeks based off last period. Yesterday I had pink spotting and today I am having brown discharge. It is only when I wipe. I am not experiencing any cramping but pretty bloated today. Any ideas? 
    I had pink and brown spotting all of first tri with DD2.
  • Thanks for your input! I'm bloated and gassy today as well. Don't know if the one has anything to do with the other or it's own fun symptom in itself. I guess I am slightly fearful of ectopic pregnancy as depicted at beginning of thread. But I'm not in pain. Not even cramping in uterine area. I do have trapped gas. I am a hot mess. Lol
  • @blt4820 sorry you're feeling uncomfortable! Spotting can be a lot of things, maybe it wouldn't hurt to ca your doctor and see if they could squeeze you in for a quick appointment?
  • @blt4820 sorry you're feeling uncomfortable! Spotting can be a lot of things, maybe it wouldn't hurt to ca your doctor and see if they could squeeze you in for a quick appointment?
    I have a call out to doctor but nurses pretty much said I'll be waiting a couple days. Since there isn't a real flow of blood nor is there pain accompanied with it it's probably all normal. They told me to call back if symptoms worsen and of course gave ER option for after hours. 
  • @blt4820 hope you hear back from the doc soon but the nurse plan is probably reasonable. First trimester is such a mind game. I probably wouldn't rush to the ER unless something changes. Ectopic is pretty unlikely without pain I think. Hope this is just a blip on your 9 month journey and all is okay!  <3  
  • @blt4820 hope you hear back from the doc soon but the nurse plan is probably reasonable. First trimester is such a mind game. I probably wouldn't rush to the ER unless something changes. Ectopic is pretty unlikely without pain I think. Hope this is just a blip on your 9 month journey and all is okay!  <3  
    Thank you. My first pregnancy with my DS was so easy peasy. I smooth sailed through the whole thing. I even hiked regularly and gave birth to a healthy almost 7lbser at 37 weeks. My second was terrifying since I lost her to a rare chromosomal defect. But no spotting and just constant nausea with her. Each one was bound to be different I suppose. 
  • @blt4820 I am unfortunately in a similar situation right now.  I am about 5+2.  This happened to me like 10 days ago then nothing.  Yesterday I had mild to moderate cramping accompanied by pink tinged cervical mucus on and off and continuing today as well, but no cramping now.

I don’t have any advice but know you are not alone.  I’m trying to remain optimistic, but having a hard time with that right now.  If it turns to an actual flow I’m going to contact my DR.
  • blthorne8blthorne8 member
    edited February 2020
    @blt4820 I am unfortunately in a similar situation right now.  I am about 5+2.  This happened to me like 10 days ago then nothing.  Yesterday I had mild to moderate cramping accompanied by pink tinged cervical mucus on and off and continuing today as well, but no cramping now.

I don’t have any advice but know you are not alone.  I’m trying to remain optimistic, but having a hard time with that right now.  If it turns to an actual flow I’m going to contact my DR.
    I hear you. It's nerve wrecking. When it's minor they pretty much tell you it's the waiting game. Unless you're in agony, filling a pad have fever or chills. My paranoid butt will do another EPT again before my check up. 
  • @blt4820 I had an ectopic last year and while I didn’t have any pain, I just felt “off”. I felt pregnant, but not. I was having constant brown spotting but that was my only symptom of the ectopic. iIf you feel like something is wrong, please push to be seen. You are your biggest advocate. 
    And for anyone reading this, if you have any kind of sharp pain, or if you have shoulder pain, head to ER. 
  • @blt4820 I had an ectopic last year and while I didn’t have any pain, I just felt “off”. I felt pregnant, but not. I was having constant brown spotting but that was my only symptom of the ectopic. iIf you feel like something is wrong, please push to be seen. You are your biggest advocate. 
    And for anyone reading this, if you have any kind of sharp pain, or if you have shoulder pain, head to ER. 
    Thank you. No spotting as of yesterday evening and none this am. No cramps but having bowel movements finally. I feel regular symptoms, painful breasts, nausea in am etc. It's hard to say if I feel "off". A lot of it is fear because I suffered midterm loss in November. She had a missing chromosome. Isn't a situation that could alter this pregnancy in anyway, but after losing a baby it's scary. 
  • Has anyone had a normal pregnancy after spotting out there. I started spotting about 9 days after ovulation. No pain but sometimes I see a few clots. But definitely have postive pregnancy tests. Worried and want to be excited all at once . Is that a normal thing your body bleeding when you should be having your period? Send me your experiences. Thanks
  • @brianawilde some women do have spotting without it being a miscarriage. I wouldn’t say it’s normal but it does happen. The best thing you can do is contact your OB and let them know. 
    My little sister experienced early spotting for about a month in her last pregnancy due to low progesterone. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• I have a friend whom is over 35. She just delivered a healthy baby girls. She suffered years of infertility and her son was premature. She had spotting off and on most of her pregnancy. The doctor checked her and everything was fine. Some women have a more sensitive cervix. It isn't that it's not normal but if you are having clots you need to call contact your OB. I was directed if bleeding was heavy or there are clots to contact doctor. Doesn't mean anything is wrong but they need to check you. 
  • mkp0903mkp0903 member
    edited February 2020
    @brianawilde This is my 3rd pregnancy. I’ve had one miscarriage and one healthy baby. Both previous pregnancies were associated with spotting around 5-6 weeks that resolved after a few days. It was very anxiety provoking to go through that again after the miscarriage for sure, but things turned out great the second time around. As hard as it is, spotting and cramping can be very normal early in pregnancy. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself and try not to freak out (which is easier said than done).  
  • @kuntreegirl1018 sending so much positive light and peace your way. Are you able to have a low key day? Rest up?

@azzuba Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm not sure if you'll come back here, but if you ever need to vent, feel free to PM me. 
  • @kuntreegirl1018 keep us posted on your appointment please, sending you good vibes
  • @dolewhipper My friend that’s also just found out she’s pregnant (5+4 today) had a little brown spotting the other day and has been really crampy. Today she casually mentioned her shoulder hurts and my mind jumped right to this post. I really hope I didn’t freak her out but I told her to keep an eye on it. I think she’s going to go the ER. She lives on base and has to get a referral for an OB which the paperwork still hasn’t gone through for so really has no one to call and check in with. Anyways thanks for the info. So many fingers crossed I’m just being paranoid for her though.