April 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight - Baby(0-3m) Spring/Summer Essentials

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Baby(0-3m) spring/summer Essentials

All:
What spring/summer items are necessary?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7iBv8rbDsTBMXAK7R3NWhG-619XNbpdNza2uci0iYs/edit#gid=0!
Next up: Baby (6-9m) fall/winter Essentials
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight - Baby(0-3m) Spring/Summer Essentials

• I need this!  This is my first babe that will be tiny in the summer, the other two were winter babies.  I feel like I'm already over thinking how to dress her for the hot weather but with ACs running.  
  • I just have the usual - onesies and pants, some light jackets. Seeing as we'll have babies in summer, how do others plan to keep them shaded since we can't use sunscreen yet? I know with a 2.5-3 yr old at the time, there will definitely be plenty of outdoor time and I want to be able to protect baby enough.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Kathryn0903 keep an eye out for a sturdy, wide brim baby sun hat. DD1 was an April baby too, and hats were lifesavers for outside time! We also bought super light weight pants that were looser than leggings, or would keep her under an umbrella or covered in her stroller, depending one what we were doing 
  • @skc040512 thanks! I had a July baby last time. Never bought anything special, but I see myself being outside more this time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first two are Fall babies so a newborn in spring and summer is new for me as well. Two bigger items I purchased so baby can be shaded/comfortable outside. I envision the first item being essential when I take the older two to the pool or backyard. It’s portable but provides shade while baby naps or plays. And the car seat shade canopy for trips to the zoo, park, fairs, etc. I have a car seat cover (milk snob) but I wanted SPF. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• A spring/summer LO is new to me too (DS was born in October)... one thing to remember is not to put a blanket over the car seat or stroller to keep the sun out. It keeps the heat from the sun inside, and can be incredibly dangerous (like leaving a pet in the car)!
  • This is new to me too. DS was born in September. It is pretty hot here most of the time, though, so I did a lot of light layers with him too. I definitely need to invest in a hat and a car seat shade for trips to the park or zoo with DS. He wasn’t outside much when he was tiny, but it’s hard to keep him indoors too much now. We’ll need to adjust. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @coaster102516 I just added that Canopy Car Seat cover to my list! 

I have nothing to input on here as a FTM; I'm just taking all of this info in because I definitely don't want my sweet baby to get overheated or sunburned. Poor kid has the palest mom there is so she's probably going to have fair skin too. :lol: 
  • Clip-on stroller fan and hats were helpful in keeping DS cool during the summer months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @coaster102516 I was looking at that Fisher Price dome too! Now I'm really thinking about it, haha 
  • Soooooo I’m feeling like a big dope right about now because I had zero clue that you can’t use sunscreen on babies. When can you start using it??
  • @literatureandink I think it’s about 6 months. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @literatureandink My ped said 6 months too. And they recommend the mineral type that stays on top of your skin. Zinc or titanium dioxide. Those tiny bars/sticks are easier to apply I thought
  • @babybison I just ordered it, can let you know my initial thoughts when it arrives this week if you’d like. My main thought is to use it when my other kids want to be outside or when we go to the pool. 

@literatureandink 6 months is recommended to wait on sunscreen. We use Think Baby sunscreen. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020