September 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight 2/9: Strollers

This weeks product spotlight is all about strollers!! Feel free to use the prompts or just type away! Links/photos welcome.
I snagged a schedule that's been used I think by a few BMBs now, but if you guys want to add/change anything let me know!!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to look back and reference!

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fCSvGqefiQ7m-cqNEBzPuaIqF7BL2ost0Ta2sMjC-8w/edit?usp=sharing

For S+TMs (or FTMs that already have said item): 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite stroller(s):
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Any special features? (safety, convenience, etc)
  • Is there a stroller you don’t have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on strollers?:

For FTMs:

• Stroller(s) you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

(template taken from August 2020)

Re: Product Spotlight 2/9: Strollers

• We got the Graco Modes Jogger travel system at our shower, but we mostly only used the carseat. We never wanted to lug the stroller frame down our porch steps.

We then got the Baby Jogger City Mini to replace an  umbrella stroller, and it replaced everything! It is a one hand fold that can fit in an included backpack. It's easy to steer, and I got the parent console accessory to hold my water bottle and stuff. The basket isnt big, but it's mostly sufficient. Seriously if you live literally in a city get this, a carseat and just a frame stroller for the newborn period. If I had it to do over that's definitely what I'd do.

In fact, I'm probably selling the modes stroller with toddler seat, and only keeping the carseat and base.

I'll need a double stroller solution now. A is only 22 mo and an insecure walker. I plan to toddler harness/ leash him, but I need an option to take out two kiddos. The most compact and affordable looks to be the Joovy Caboose whatever the lightweight model is. My dream would actually be to get the Veer Cruiser wagon that a newborn seat can clip into and seat the toddler. It can be pushed as well as pulled, and it folds.

Added complication I recently got a power wheelchair to help save my energy in regards to my chronic illness, so I need to rig something up to transport two kids. A wrap carrier for the newborn is the obvious solution, but whay to do with the then 2 1/2 year old is the question. 
  • I'm a FTM but I haven't really looked at strollers much yet. TBH H and I don't really go out many places so if we get a stroller I have no idea what I will want. I want to keep it inexpensive and our cars are not big at all so whatever we get would have to fit in our little trunks. I have a mini cooper and H has a honda civic. Just debating between getting a frame one for just the infant seat or getting one that can be used when baby is out of the infant seat as well. So many decisions which is not good for my brain!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a Chicco bravo travel system and it was great. The stroller worked for what we needed it to. I liked being able to just click the car seat in and go. However originally I really wanted the baby jogger city mini gt. After our first stroller got stolen we bought the city mini gt and I absolutely loved it. I still love it. It maybe isn’t the best value because you have to add accessories because it doesn’t really come with much, but it folds up so nice and it has held up really well. I’m trying to decide if we need a double stroller or what were going to do.  
  • We initially got a graco snugride 35 with a jogging stroller (DH likes to run). Once we got it and saw how massive it was, we knew it was not going to be good for day to day outings. So we got graco lightrider LX stroller. It's lightweight, works with the infant carseat, folds easily, and was inexpensive. The downside is that it's not very sturdy and has crap turning radius. It was hard to turn with one hand, and the wheels got caught on every little bump in the sidewalk. It was fine for a cheap stroller, but this time around I want something more sturdy.

We are looking at the baby jogger GT2 Double stroller. I was going back and forth on whether to get a side-by-side stroller or inline, but I just haven't found an inline that I like. I don't like that one kid has to practically be on the ground in most of the newer slim inclines. I'm also looking at a bumbleride indie twin. They both have great reviews, and are compatible with my infant carseat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited February 2020
    DH and I are thinking about the $1500 Peg Perego triplet stroller. It comes with 3 car seats and bases. It’s long though, since all of the babies are in a line, and I have to do more research on its weight and length. I like how they can be turned sideways in addition to outward facing. I have to see if they can face towards the handle because it will be cold and flu season and preemies especially need protection. My son was big and strong, so we didn’t keep him in his infant seat long and he was sitting up in his stroller without the seat by like 5 months old. I also have the Wonder Fold 4 passenger wagon on my list for when they can sit up so DS can ride along. I also looked into the City Select triplet hack, but I’m hesitant about its safety. Need to do some more research with other moms of multiples and see if anyone is going to be selling anything used. No matter what, it’s going to be expensive and hard to maneuver. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I could never commit to a stroller with W, so we still only use a cheap umbrella stroller to this day (he's 9 months). Now I know I that I want a double and I really like the Uppababy Vista, but it's so expensive that I don't know if we'll actually spend that kind of money.
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Another lover of the City Mini GT here. It's our main stroller for DD and it's great. My parents love how easily it folds up too whenever I leave her/it with them.

I also have the Chicco Keyfit caddy that I used when DD was in her infant seat. It was awesome especially for travel because you just click the carseat right in. I bought it secondhand for like $25 and I would definitely recommend it. It's pricier than I'd spend new ($90 ish I think) so I'd definitely try to buy used if possible - I see them listed on fb marketplace all the time.

I'm trying to decide how soon if/when I'll need a double. My thought is I can babywear this baby while pushing DD in the stroller if I had to. TBH I don't use the stroller a ton with her now anyway because she likes to get out and walk (like at the zoo etc). So unless we end up taking a big trip like Disney or something I don't know how soon I'll need a double. Thoughts welcome though for others with 2+ kids.
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • We have a BOB single and double stroller and love them. They aren’t cheap but totally worth it. They are able to be resold when your done with them pretty easily (and for some good money). Also if you are a runner, they are great for that.
  • I am a lightweight stroller person. I want it to be easy, convenient, and minimal on space. When we had our second I opted to wait to purchase anything to see what would really be helpful instead of trying to anticipate and incorrectly guess my needs for 2 under 2 and I am glad that I did because I ended up making very different choices than I would have if I had purchased before baby arrived. I attempted to babywear more with my second, but that only lasted so long and was not as helpful as I had hoped. I added the Urbini so that we would have two strollers if we were going to the zoo or somewhere with a great deal of walking. These were places that I was not going on my own with both kids so I always had a second set of hands to push the other stroller. I shopped hard and ordered and returned so many double strollers when DS2 was about 2.5mo until we landed on the Zoe. I have been very happy with that choice as it still meets our needs very well. We have: 

Graco Breaze: Lightweight, one-hand fold, one-hand recline, decent shade. Reclines to flat or almost flat. Holds a Graco bucket seat. Can hold a baby on one hip and fold and put the stroller in the back of your car with the other hand. Seat weight limit of 50lbs. I have owned for 4.5 years and it was used very frequently.
    Urbini Reversi: Great inexpensive umbrella stroller. Can reverse the seat to see baby. Huge sunshade. One-hand recline. Standing fold. Loved it for the zoo, walks around the neighborhood, or somewhere to cozy the baby while I worked in the garage. I have owned it for almost 3 years and we used it frequently.
    Zoe XL2 (Double): Link is for the current version which has some features that mine does not. Love this double stroller! I wanted something that everyone could get out of the back of the car including grandma and this fit the bill with lots of other things to love. It is the lightest double on the market that I know of at 19lbs. It has the most extreme sun shades! The baskets are large, the recline is nice, the bar can be replaced with cupholders/snack cup. It has a standing fold. It also can be converted to a triple or quad stroller which I have not needed to do, but is pretty neat. It meets Disney's size constraints as well. I have owned it for almost 3 years and it has gotten a lot of love.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had the joovy roo for the twins but after a while I hated it; it was long and awkward to maneuver. So around 6 months I upgraded to the Bob double jogging stroller and it is awesome! I figure this baby will just be in a carrier while I push the other two. 

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Hoping to bump this convo back up!

@linz36 and @boymommatwo- a couple questions about the BOB double- can an infant seat attach to one side of it and also do you find it fits well on the average side walk and/or through doorways?

@Louise_Belcher question about the Zoe- love that it sounds very light weight to get in and out of car and fits places easily. How does it hold up riding on more of a trail path as opposed to sidewalks have you ever tried that? 

Trying to figure out what double stroller or wagon to put on our registry as our son is 20 months and will just turn 2 before baby comes. We never got to register for a stroller before since we had a big first birthday/adoption party for him not baby shower so want to take advantage of registering for a stroller this time since we’ve bought our other ones haha

we had a Chico set for when he was a baby and I loved how seat clicked in and out of car to stroller and stroller could be folded with one hand and easily in and out of car. We gave that set to a friend though once he outgrew the seat. As he got older we wanted to be able to go walk on trails and such so we got a  graco set that came with infant seat and jogging stroller. We love the jogging stroller for DS but it is bulkier and you need 2 hands. We will use the infant car seat for this baby since it hasn’t been used. 
  • We originally got the city select stroller that can eventually hold two kids front and back.  Once we had our second I realized how much of a pain it is to push.  Side by side seems much more feasible to push than tandem.  I sold it and got a regular City Mini for my car and love it.  My oldest never wanted to sit in the stroller anyways so I didn’t have a need for two seats.

I still use my BOB every day for walks and runs  around neighborhood.  I’m debating on getting a double just because my second is a lazier with the scooter than my oldest was!  

I use a chicco caddy for the newborn days to snap the car seat in.  My sister and I share this guy.  It’s only used for about 3 months so I’m glad I didn’t purchase.  Suggest finding a second hand stroller for this.

Strollers are overwhelming and to be honest you may think you’ll like one but until you physically use it then you’ll know.  Good luck everyone!  
  • We have a Britax travel system with the b safe seat and the b agile stroller which has worked great for us but we may look into a double.... I don’t know. I like having the bucket seat click in so that we don’t have to get him out when he is asleep.

We also have a Keenz wagon that I loooove. It is a little too big for going to the shops or something but it is perfect for the zoo or the pumpkin patch. It steers like a dream and collapses really easily. We have an English Bill terrier who is getting to be an old man and we load both dog and toddler into it for neighborhood walks all the time so I am used to the heavy load already lol
  • @momofmiracles31889 the double bob fits through doorways and actually meets the strict criteria for going to Disney! You can also attach a carseat to it, although I never did.

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

• Thanks @linz36! I’m definitely leaning towards putting a double BOB on the list! One other question do any of you with a double BOB have a mid size SUV? Wondering if it would fit in my trunk since that’s the biggest car we have (no mini van or giant SUV yet since we’re only going on #2) 

• I'm personally looking at the Summer 3Dlite Convenience Stroller, $90 on Amazon. It weighs 13 pounds and has a 50 pound limit on it. I like it because it looks sleek and like it can hold a lot in the bottom, while also having a good amount of positive reviews on it. I'll make sure to keep checking Once Upon a Child, my local Goodwill, and garage sales as well as FB BST pages to see what they're offering because if I can get something cheaper that still looks brand new, I will. 
  • linz36linz36 member
    edited April 2020
    @momofmiracles31889
    I have an X5 which doesn't have a lot of cargo space and the stroller basically takes it all up lol. However, the other twin stroller I had before I couldn't even get into my vehicle because it was too long so this definitely folds up nicer. I feel like it would fit nicely in a trunk but I don't really have one to try it in. 

Once social distancing is over (if it's ever over) you might be able to find one at buy buy baby to test it out to see if it'll fit in your car. 

• @momofmiracles31889 Most of our use has been on pavement, so the most trail like we have had it on is gravel pathways and grass. It preformed good for these cases, but I am sure for real and frequent trail use where you would be going over branches and such something with larger tires would work better. The Zoe preforms amazingly at things like the store, zoo, amusement park, or sidewalk/road walks and being lightweight and compact yet roomy is so amazing. But it really matters what the primary uses for a double will be for you. 

@slr1229 Agreed on the tandem front to back ones being so hard to steer. We tested a lot in the stores and my oldest always wanted to be in the front, but it made it horrible to try to turn a corner. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • We recently added a Lascal Maxi universal buggy board to our arsenal. It can attach to any of our strollers which was key. We used it for the airport and during a trip to Florida and we were very happy with its performance and think it will be very useful post baby.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • I plan to use the CHICCO caddy for the car seat. I also have a BOB jogger that I LOVE and will use for walking or places with grass, etc. since it is a little on the larger side. 
  • @momofmiracles31889 yes it fits through a standard door (most people don’t think it does and I love to prove them wrong 😉). There is an attachment (cost around $100) which allows you to attach an infant seat to one side and the other has a tray. We have it and it came in super handy (btw the only way to attach the infant seat is with this attachment).

We have a minivan and a Volkswagen Passat and it fits just fine in both trunk and cargo areas.
  • I don’t know what to do about a stroller. DS just turned one and we are expecting twins. I really don’t want to buy a triple stroller. I have been considering doing a double BOB, because I love my single BOB so much, and wearing one but I don’t know how feasible that will be with doctors appointments and what not. I can’t imagine trying to push a triple stroller into our pedis office and the rooms definitely aren’t big enough. Heck they barely are big enough for a single let alone a double. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• @robyn2201 I am so not getting a triple stroller. I'm keeping the twins in their double stroller and carrying the baby. The double is hard enough to maneuver, I can't imagine a triple. 

• Embarrassingly enough we’ve purchased a new stroller and seat with every kiddo so far. 1-3 all got new seats because theirs expired due to age gaps AND because we somehow got a seat with only two years before expiration for our second (no clue how, I was so upset when I realized it come pregnancy with #3)... I didn’t like the Chicco travel system (just feel like it’s all so big and heavy) we had with #2 so we sold that stroller and got the Chicco caddy (LOVE) and the Joovy Caboose. We really liked it for 2 and 3, but they were ages 4 and 1 when we got it. I’m hoping it’ll work ok with an infant seat and a toddler, but time will tell. We won’t need a stroller for the infant seat for too long as the cold will hit not long after baby is born and by the time we bust back out baby will be sitting up. 

So much to think about!
  • slr1229slr1229 member
    Anyone have the city mini double?  Someone selling for 50 bucks on neighborhood site- we have the single and like it.  
  • pai314pai314 member
    We have had several strollers but I've finally found my favorites

City Mini double -- SO easy to push, fold, not too heavy(esp. for a double) You can usually find these used, in great condition on FB marketplace. I'd also consider the single version if you don't need the double.
    Summer Infant 3D Lite is an amazing "umbrella" stroller. It's a bit bigger, reclines, has a great sun cover.. not too hard to fold, light, strap for carrying.

Our summer infant got left out and is gross so I'm going to replace it and then we'll use the double as well when needed. However, I'm thinking of replacing it with the flip -- we'll see!
  • pai314pai314 member
    @slr1229
    I just posted and then read your comment.  We have the double and love it. If you can get it for $50, do it!