October 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

To help with one off/drive by posts, Ask your questions here! Nothing is too big or too small, or too stupid. If you're thinking it, likely someone else is too!

*Disclaimer: We are not your doctor, and neither is Google. Sometimes it's best to ask your medical team. But at least we can support!

Re: The Great Question Thread

• I have so many questions I don’t know where to start lol.
  • Hi everyone! I am SO super excited to be pregnant! I am estimating my due date to be October 1st! This will be our first little baby. I have been a bit concerned, because I have started to bleed just a little, sometimes when I wipe! Should I be concerned? Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • @alil1212, bleeding can be caused by a lot of different things. Personally, I would contact your OB. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• @alil1212 I also recommend contacting your OB. Your OB should be able to help you determine what might be the reason for the bleeding and whether you should be concerned about it. I had bleeding/spotting early in my first pregnancy, and it ended up being completely benign; I now have a healthy 2.5 year old. However, my OB did see me earlier than planned because I was having bleeding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @alil1212 bleeding can be anything, but can also be normal. When in doubt, call your nurse line, and if you don't feel right, advocate for yourself and be seen. 
  • I'm not sure this is the right thread.. because it's more of a technical board question. But do I check in on the FTM or the STM thread since my last pregnancy/birth didn't result in a living baby? I still have all the experience since I went full term.. but I'm not sure and I don't want to trigger anyone or make people feel I'm lying by saying I am a FTM or a STM.. should I just not do check ins to avoid it? 
  • @kalesix3 I started a pregnant after loss check in if you’d like to join In there. 
    But you can join in on any board you feel comfortable. 
    Married 6/15/13
    ~In our hearts forever~

• I spotted the entire 1st trimester of my first pregnancy due to an irritated cervix. Definitely call OB but there's a good chance it's fine!
    Furbaby (Oscar) | 12/9/2010
    DD | 7/3/2015 
    DS | 2/20/2018
    LO#3 | EDD: 10/11/2020 TEAM GREEN!
  • @profmcgonagall and @kmalls thank you so much, you're the best 💓
  • @kalesix3 I would say to check in wherever you are most comfortable. As far as I am concerned you're more than welcome in the STM mom check in as you are a STM. But I doubt anyone would have an issue with you in the FTM checkin either if it is less triggering for you there so you don't have to see all the discussion of living children that will come up in the STM check in. I'm so sorry for your loss. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you @NamelessAria, that's so kind, I appreciate it! ❤️ 
  • Give me your anti nausea tips. I have a big bag of ginger candies, taking unisom +b6 at night, and sipping tea. This shit is for the birds and I don't remember it being this bad last time. 
  • @dolewhipper I’ve had luck with peppermints and fizzy lemonade. 
    Also I always had something to eat on me like Cheerios or pretzels. An empty stomach is the enemy 
    Married 6/15/13
    ~In our hearts forever~

• @dolewhipper When are you taking your prenatals?  I found taking them at night helps.  I also keep water and saltines on my night stand and try to hydrate and eat 3-4 crackers right when I wake up.  Ginger ale as needed throughout the day.  I haven't started meds yet, but I was on zofran with DD and a different prescribed one with DS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @profmcgonagall Oh I forgot about peppermint. You reminded me that I had a rollerball I would smell when I wasn't doing well when I was pregnant with DD.

@smg2302 I'm taking them when I'm not nauseous. I have to take other meds so I usually take them all together, maybe I'll try spacing them out or leaving the prenatal for before bed. Good idea!
  • Is anyone already not sleeping through the night?! I woke up last night at 2:50 and fell back asleep about 4:30... This is going to be a long pregnancy if not sleeping is already starting!
  • MJDsquaredMJDsquared member
    edited February 2020
    @Cosmomom129 Yep! I wake up before my alarm every morning (on weekends earlier than necessary, no alarm). 430 is a popular wake time for me. Luckily only once (ETA once out of the 430 wake ups) I couldn't go back to sleep. But yesterday was the worst, up at 330 unable to go back to sleep!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @Cosmomom129 yes!! I keep waking up around 2:30/3:00 every morning and have the hardest time getting back to sleep.
  • @Cosmomom129 yes! I have been waking up and unable to fall back asleep from like 3-4am the past few nights.
  • Serious question, who here is having second breakfasts?? They were totally a thing with my first and they are back with a vengeance. Had a waffle and a banana at 7:30 am and now at 10 am I am having a home made breakfast burrito :D
  • @Cosmomom129 Same here, around 3/4am.
    @morethanamama I feel like Im eating every 45 minutes 
  • @morethanamama @dolewhipper Also constantly eating. Hunger = nausea
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • @morethanamama I was eating basically nonstop for weeks 4 and 5. No matter how much I ate I was ravenous.  Now morning sickness has started and I'm struggling to eat one meal a day.  Pregnancy is weird. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Add me to the eating contstantly roster. Probably partially boredom and partially my body. Had cereal and a breakfast wrap this morning, couple pieces of pizza and cake for lunch (cake was unplanned..) and just now some waffles for a snack. My self-control is broken.
  • I am craving the same things as last time. Finally about to have lunch, definitely already had way more meals that I normally would. this time I am weirdly craving pot stcikers! 
  • @dolewhipper re nausea tips, I hear sea bands are amazing. I've had really good luck with candied ginger and frozen berries, having something frozen can really calm your stomach down! 
  • @Cosmomom129 I’m in a terrible cycle of waking up so thirsty and then needing to pee. It’s happening like 3 times night. 

@morethanamama I’m always craving pot stickers. They are the best! 

I’m not nauseous yet but I’m also not very hungry. I haven’t been eating until around 10-11am. 
    Married 6/15/13
    ~In our hearts forever~

• @kalesix3 frozen berries, I'll have to try that! I have some blueberries that are about to turn.....
  • Add me to the insomnia and always eating group. I make sure to pee before getting into bed for the night, but am always up around 2:30am/3am to pee again and then I'm awake for the day. I'm also having trouble falling asleep at night, too. It's taking 2-3 hours, when it would only take 15 minutes at most before I got pregnant.

I feel like I go from perfectly fine to absolutely ravenous in no time flat. And while I've had some mild cravings, when I actually go to eat what I am craving, it tastes bland or not like what I had hoped it would taste like (not as satisfying, if that makes sense). It makes me want to cry. Last night I was eating jambalaya for dinner but really wanted blueberry pancakes, so it made my jambalaya taste ho-hum so I only ate half a bowl of it. I still want the pancakes, btw.

My sense of smell is off the charts right now. Over the weekend I bleached our garbage can, flushed our garbage disposal with lemon, washed all of our bed linens, couch blankets & pillows, our dogs' crate pads, swept & mopped our entire downstairs, and vacuumed our entire upstairs. I remember my sense of smell being really strong last time, but I don't think it was this early (I'm 4+2 today). And of course, my crazy pregnancy brain has me worried that this is a sign of multiples. *facepalm*
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• @morethanamama yes, second breakfast. I used to get through until lunch with just a granola bar and a couple cups of coffee. Now i can only stomach one cup of coffee and around 10:30 or 11 I suddenly get nauseous unless I eat more. It’s made for some awkward meetings at work. Between that and pregnancy brain (randomly not being able to think of certain words), I’m convinced my coworkers know. 
  • @babyodo yes to being perfectly fine and then completely ravenous suddenly!

also my sense of smell. This might sound weird but I normally wash my hair only every few days but lately that dirty hair smell has seemed super noticeable 🤮 I know it’s just me. I need some better dry shampoo. Is that a sign of multiples?! I did have a dream the other night that we had twin girls. That’s been my only baby-related dream so far. 
  • @psmk521 I think your sense of smell gets crazy intense with pregnancy. Mine is like that and stayed for a long time after I had my first. If it's a sign of multiples, I might be doomed because I literally smell anything from a crazy distance.
  • Is there a symptoms thread? It’s been a while since I’ve been in the first trimester (almost 3 years) and I’m just trying to remember what’s normal...
  • @NME44 not officially but the randoms thread has turned into a symptoms discussion lol
  • (I thought about starting a new thread for this but wasn’t sure)
    what are all your morning sickness tips and tricks? I’ve been nauseous all day today. I tried preggie pops and didn’t feel like they helped that much. Just sent my husband to the store to get sea bands...
  • @psmk521 the only thing that slightly has helped me through every pregnancy is trying not to have an empty stomach. Snack lightly all day on anything that should remotely appetizing.  With DD for me it was trail mix packed with nuts for the protein.
  • Protein and small snacks all day. Ginger tea. Ginger pops. Sea bands. Some people do better with sour foods. Some with bland foods. I usually end up having to take a prescription because I get sick so much. But that’s not normal for most people. 
  • @psmk521 - the only reason I was thinking multiples is how strongly my symptoms presented this early on. The last time I was pregnant, I didn't have this intensity until like 6 weeks. I should have ended my post with either #sarcasm or #PGALbrain lol.
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• For MS in the past I’ve sucked on jolly rancher candy and agree with @JLaVO888 to never let your stomach be empty. 

I’m already having all day nausea with morning vomiting when my stomach is empty. Give it a week and I’ll likely be up to my 6x a day puking :( I personally need zofran during first tri, but it can be a bit controversial.