August 2020 Moms
Options

No Week 12 Ultrasound :(

I have my week 12+ appt coming up in two days and just found out there will be no ultrasound until my 20 week appointment. I took this news harder than I expected. This is my first baby, and I just want a peek inside to know everything is OKAY. 

Does/Did anyone else have this same issue, and am I just being crazy and anxious? :(

Katie

Re: No Week 12 Ultrasound :(

• Options
    I only had one ultrasound with my OB with my first pregnancy, the anatomy scan.  I had to pay for an elective ultrasound just to see baby other times.  I think that's pretty common.
    Infertility Journey (in spoiler because it's way too long and child/loss mentioned)
    Married: 08/09/2013; TTC #2
    Me: 31, possible PCOS and Septate Uterus (Septum removed in November 2017)
    DH: 31, MFI (Low Count and Low Motility)
    July 2017 - IUI #1 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    August 2017 - IUI #2 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    September 2017 - IUI #3 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    November 2017 - Uterine Septum removed
    December 2017 - IVF Consultation
    January 2018 - IVF #1 - Retrieval 1/24 - 2 Day 3 embryos (1 transferred fresh, 1 frozen) and 2 Day 5 embryos frozen
    February 2018 - Fresh Transfer - Transfer 1/27 (1 day 3 embryo) - BFN
    March 2018 - FET #1 - Transfer 3/2 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP!  1st beta (10dp5dt) - 101; 2nd beta (17dp5dt) - 3061! Due 11/18/2018
    March 2018 - Remaining embryos lost in malfunction.

October 8, 2018 - Son born at 34 weeks and a day due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.  Spent 13 days in the NICU.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

June 2019 - IVF #2 - Cancelled - Cyst on Ovary
    July 2019 - IVF #2 Take 2 - Retrieval 8/1 - 5 Day 5 embryos frozen
    August 2019 - FET #1 - Cancelled - No Trilaminar Lining
    September 2019 - FET #1 - Transfer 9/25 (1 day 5 embryo) - Chemical Pregnancy - 1st beta (9dp5dt): 110; 2nd beta (14dp5dt): 357; 3rd beta (16dp5dt): 188; 4th beta (23dp5dt): 7
    November 2019 - FET #2 - Transfer 11/6 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFN
    December 2019 - FET #3 - Transfer 12/11 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP! - 1st beta (8dp5dt): 102; 2nd beta (15dp5dt): 2636! Due 08/28/2020

August 13, 2020 - Son born at 37 weeks an 6 days due to failed BPP (Gestational Diabetes).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I also am not having one. I did hear the heartbeat by Doppler at 9.5 weeks which gave me the reassurance I wanted. 
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had 4 total with my first pregnancy. 1 at my very first appointment to date the pregnancy and confirm my due date, the anatomy scan at around 24 weeks, and then one at 38 weeks as they checked to make sure baby was big enough for induction (I had pre-e and things were getting serious). The last ultrasound was not one I got to see, they did it before they wheeled me back for my c-section after my induction turned way south.  

From what I understand, at that practice a healthy pregnancy only needed 2 ultrasounds. I know it blows because we all like to see baby but take it as such a good sign that things are great. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is the NT scan not standard? What determines if people got it? I was under the impression it was a standard scan like the anatomy scan
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    That's wonderful, OP!  That means you're having a low-risk pregnancy!  That is a beautiful thing. ❤️ Try to trust and believe that it's going to be just fine.
    Yes! This! I had two with my first - dating and anatomy. With my second, I only planned for one - the anatomy scan. Unfortunately, I had two quick scans late in the pregnancy because my baby was flipping around and they wanted to be sure of the position. She was breech for awhile, which is NOT good, especially considering how many doctors these days go straight to CS instead of allowing a vaginal breech birth. I would have much preferred my baby to have stayed nicely head down and not needed those other scans (fortunately, she eventually flipped and stayed head down). With this one, again I'm only planning to have one - the anatomy. 

@sarah0985, I was never offered it. I'm sure I could have requested it if I wanted, but I didn't. I googled and found some info that some providers won't recommend it if you're low risk - under 35, no family history, etc. - but I don't know for sure the answer to your question.

Fwiw, some of the measurements taken during the anatomy scan should show "markers" of Down's if your baby, in fact, has it - the nasal bone measurement, a bright spot on the heart, short arm or leg bones, and a few others that I don't recall. And my understanding is the signs of the other trisomies that the NT scan screens for will also show up on the 20-week. So, in my opinion, it wasn't necessary as 20-weeks was/is still plenty of time to prepare if my baby has any of those conditions. 
  • Options
    @sarah0985 I'm with you there, I sort of thought it was standard because I didn't have much else basis for comparison, and everyone just said I was an old lady mama, so they recommended it.  But knowing what I know now, I sorta feel like it could be a bit overkill, but I am just going with it.  The fetal echo I know is extra, too, so I have just accepted the fact that I don't get to have my pregnancies treated "normally." 😔
  • Options
    I also thought the NT 12 week scan was standard. I had it when I was 34 with my first pregnancy but maybe I was considered "advanced maternal age" back then?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• Options
    At least a 12 week scan is standard care from my understanding (I mean, in GENERAL, a dating US is done even before then also). I can understand your frustration, it really took an ultrasound for me to feel like things were REAL and having to wait until 20 weeks would feel like an ETERNITY. Maybe you can do a private US somewhere to at least see SOMETHING  or email your OB and just ASK if they can give you a requisition for an US to go get one done. If your insurance covers it, it literally takes nothing from them but to print an order and if you're in a larger healthcare system there could be multiple locations you could schedule at. Hope you figure something out to see your little one soon! 
  • Options
    @sarah0985 I had my '12' week appointment (I was technically 11+3) and I asked my doc about the NP ultrasound. He said that they don't do that anymore, especially if you've elected for the NIPT blood testing because that is more in depth than the US and they don't need to do both.

I, unfortunately. had an US at that visit bc my doctor tried to hear the baby's heartbeat via doppler and could not locate it. Thankfully he brought the US machine in just to make sure everything was ok, and it was thankfully! But waiting for him to come back in with the machine was the scariest 10 minutes of my life.
  • Options
    I don't think it's standard if you aren't doing NIPT. I am not doing it and was not offered a first trimester ultrasound as they aren't "medically necessary". The 20 wk one will be my first ultrasound of this pregnancy. 
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
  • Options
    So interesting to read all this. This is my second pregnancy in a second country and had it offered for both. Not of AMA either. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    @samsonator they aren’t medically necessary and you can decline it if you don’t want it, just like any other genetic test, but it is recommended and typically offered in the US, Canada and many other countries. I’m surprised your OB doesn’t even offer it. 
  • Options
    I can’t believe it varies this much. I’m 11.5 weeks pregnant and have already had two ultrasounds. I have my NT scan and NIPT test this week (I’m advanced maternal age now- 35), then there’ll be the anatomy scan. 

@kateohtwo I can completely understand your frustration. That’s a long time to wait, and it’s hard for it to all feel real until you see your baby on the screen and/or start to feel it move.
  • Options
    I don't know if I would have done this during my first pregnancy, but, these days, I would consider a private, out of pocket ultrasound. You are still in control of what you think you should have for your OB care. Unfortunately, you will just have to also be willing to pay for it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• Options
    I agree with @radiohd18. I never even considered it in my first pregnancy, but with my second and again with this pregnancy I’ve paid out of pocket for scans at a private ultrasound place. I have a lot of anxiety in the first trimester and I tend to spot a lot as well, which doesn’t help! I went for a private scan last week, at 9 weeks, because I just needed to know and see that everything was ok. There’s no way I could wait until 20 weeks to see what’s going on in there!