September 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @Louise_Belcher what is that test? I've never heard of it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @macheno It’s a test you can buy online (their website or amazon) you collect your blood and mail it in to be tested. They email you results. It can be done after 8weeks. https://sneakpeektest.com/
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Louise_Belcher I've heard of lots of people getting the wrong answer with early blood tests so I'm going to wait. I can pay to get a gender determination at 16 weeks which isn't that much longer and still before they'd "tell" me at the anatomy scan (the tech isn't allowed to tell you but they demonstrate on screen) so I'm considering that, especially since I'm getting a tax payment in April when I'll hit that mark
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @mflowers929 It seems it can have false boy results sometimes. Everyone I know to have done it got accurate results. Your tech can’t tell you the sex at an anatomy scan??
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @Louise_Belcher I’m AMA and the NIPT is covered by my insurance so we will be doing that. I’ve heard from others on the boards about the sneak peak sometimes being wrong. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• @Louise_Belcher unfortunately no. The way it works here is that all anatomy scans, as well as most dating scans, are done in the hospital by a tech, and for legal reasons the tech can only pass it along to be read by the doctor 🤷 they'll try to demonstrate it on screen for you but they can't confirm or deny anything. With my first loss there was a doctor there and they had to bring him in to give me the news otherwise I would have had to wait the weekend to officially hear it at my next appointment.
    Luckily with my son we got a shot right between his legs so it was pretty obvious😂
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @robyn2201 That makes sense. I am about 8mo shy of AMA at birth so likely won’t qualify for NIPT. 

@mflowers929 That is a bummer. Ours is also done at the hospital by a tech and they cannot say much but they do tell you what you are having.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @Louise_Belcher I think that it depends on the level of the US tech. Similar to regular nurse vs. RN vs. nurse practitioner. At my most recent dating, US the tech told me everything she was doing and gave me all the info for my dating without the doctor. My scans were passed on to the radiologist to confirm, but I didn't need to wait for my results.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Louise_Belcher I’ve started to look into NIPT and there are a number of insurance carriers that cover it for all single pregnancies, not just for moms over 35. It always seems to be harder than I expect to find out if my insurance covers it, but it’s something to think about!
  • My insurance doesn’t cover NIPT, even after RPL— it’s frustrating. Thinking we will probably just pay OOP..  :(
  • These are the things that make me glad to live in Canada 😥
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • edited January 2020
    Have a bit of a rant. So I call the office because I saw that on my patient portal it says I would have to prepay $650 (hopefully that’s just because my insurance wasn’t in the system yet). And the lady seemed confused as to why my appointment is scheduled for 7+1. She said they usually like to do them past 8 weeks. Which i thought too but then why did the other lady schedule me at 7??? I was like well do I need to reschedule? She said no it will still work. Sooooo why even bring it up!!! I’m still worried I’m going to have to pay a ton upfront OOP. My insurance said they don’t cover anything until I hit my deductible. Do any of your practices make you pay OOP for your deductible and do they let you do a payment plan? I’m so irritated because our insurance was so much better last year. But such is life.
  • @greyl That is how our dental works, but not our medical. Strange! 
  • @chasingroygbiv oh interesting, I didn’t think to ask specifically about the appointments. I assume for all procedures and the hospital stay/birth etc. that wouldn’t be covered until I hit my deductible but for regular appts I was hoping those would be somewhat covered? I’m not sure. I hate the way insurance works so much!! 
  • robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited January 2020
    @greyl I hate insurance!!! With my first two, I worked and we were on my insurance. All my prenatal was covered 100% and we only had to pay 20% of the delivery costs which wasn’t bad. We are on my husbands Insurance now and we have to pay 25% of everything up to an out of pocket of $4000. So baby #3 last year ended up costing us the full $4000. Baby was IUGR and also closely monitored for an umbilical vein varix, and I had a three day hospital stay at 33 weeks for preterm contractions. My clinic requires you to prepay for your prenatal care. They set up a payment plan on my first visit for my 25%, about $2500 I owed. I had to pay $400 the first visit and $200 every following month. Im not looking forward to doing that again. I’m crossing my fingers that this pregnancy is not as eventful as the last one. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• @greyl That sucks. I hope they let you do a payment plan to spread it out. We have a deductible, but all prenatal is covered at 100%. I do have to pay out of pocket (up to the deductible) for all my hematology appointments even though I wouldn’t be monitoring my condition if I wasn’t pregnant. 🤷🏻‍♀️ We meet our deductible each year because it is small so all of it is in an FSA. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @greyl I had to pay my deductible plus my 20% coinsurance by 30 weeks so that they would deliver me (I think it was $4000 or something). I know it seems crazy but the insurance won't pay the doctor a dime until you pay the deductible; and there is no guarantee that people will pay and the doctor can't work for free. I did do a plan where I paid a little bit every time I went in (they didn't make me pay it in a lump sum). After delivery I didn't have to pay the doctor any more but I had my hospital bills and the bills for each kiddo; so a few thousand more overall. The hospital let me do a payment plan, which I'm still paying lol.

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Wow wow wow, reading about having to pay for medical care just makes me shake my head
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • edited January 2020
    @robyn2201 oh wow thanks for the info!!! That payment plan isn’t too bad all things considered . I’m just worried my upfront cost (first visit) is going to be too high, money is unexpectedly tight right now and I really want to be seen sooner rather than later based on my worries. 
    @Louise_Belcher that’s nice that your prenatal is 100% I forgot to ask my insurance if they cover any prenatal but from what she told me it didn’t sound like it. I think I’m going to call again on Monday before my appt just in case. 
    @linz36 oh I totally understand their reasoning for doing this!! I bet people don’t pay a lot! I’ve heard before about prepaying but I guess I wasn’t anticipating having to pay a lot OOP on the first visit. I’m just really bummed our coverage isn’t better! I’m going to have to end up paying 40% until I reach OOP max 😭
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    edited February 2020
    My biggest first trimester craving with both my girls was Wegmans turkey subs and I ate the shit out of them. I'd get one like four times a week.

I'm a terrible rule follower when it comes to food while pregnant. The only one I don't bend on is drinking. I know some are saying a bit of wine is fine but I'm a hard pass on alcohol while pregnant.

I will eat all the hot dogs this summer though and feel zero guilt.
  • @Louise_Belcher I’ve started to look into NIPT and there are a number of insurance carriers that cover it for all single pregnancies, not just for moms over 35. It always seems to be harder than I expect to find out if my insurance covers it, but it’s something to think about!
    Be weary. With my last pregnancy I called and asked and the guy swore up and down NIPT was covered for us. Then we got a giant bill and when I called to ask what gives they were all lolnope it's not covered and basically denied the previous information I was given. Most NIPT that isn't covered you can pay a flat $200 fee for, which is what we ended up just doing. 
  • @cnf2013 good to know!! I feel like I always get something different when I call the insurance company. For example what my plan tells me is covered on the website is not what the lady told me over the phone. It’s like a gamble for sure. This is my first time really using my insurance so I’m completely lost with the process. 
  • @Louise_Belcher, yes! I bought the Sneak Peek and followed instructions and mailed it in and they said it was invalid. I think because it sat for an extra day due to me being dumb and taking it on a Sunday when USPS is closed. They are sending me a new one. 

• Anyone had to deal with high blood pressure? I’ve never had an issue before but apparently today mine was high. I’m scared now and going to be trying to really watch what I eat. I’ve had so many pickles/salt lately and not as much water as I should be drinking so I know my sodium is probably through the roof. I just want to limit my chances of pre-e/complications as much as possible. 
  • @greyl I had gestational hypertension from December 2015 to delivery in February 2016. No idea what Brought it on and I had to get weekly BP checks and do a whole weekend or urinating every few hours for them to check my Urine. I ended up being induced at 39+3. 

My doctors appt isn’t until March, but I’m starting this pregnancy at the weight I delivered my son, so I’m a little nervous to go for my appt because my fingers are already swollen and I had to take my rings off. I’ve been trying to watch my sodium, but it’s hard! 
  • @robinj716 oh no I’m sorry you had that! I’m glad you were able to keep him in until after 39 weeks! That’s my fear right now to have to be induced super early! I hope yours isn’t too high this time. I haven't noticed any swelling yet but thank you For reminding me to look out for that. Watching for sodium is definitely hard!! I eat most of my meals during the week at work I feel like and there’s so much salt in the food. I try to limit when I can but I am not a raw/unseasoned kind of person I like my comfort foods that taste good haha but you gotta do what ya gotta do. 
  • @greyl I had gestational hypertension for my whole pregnancy last time. I had a BP cuff at home and it was always normal at home, just elevated at the doctor. I was induced at 38 weeks and was highly monitored after 35 weeks. They are super cautious about it because of complications for the baby and pre-e. And better safe than sorry for those kinds of things!

It could have been nerves about your first appt, maybe it will be better next time!
  • @jennifer_louise oh wow interesting that at home you got normal readings! I’m sorry you had to deal with that too! Did it go back to normal after you delivered? I’m nervous but I’m trying not to worry too much because I know that won’t help it! My mom is a nurse and she wanted me to go out and get a cuff but I feel like checking it every day right now will freak me out so I am going to wait until the next appointment and if they are worried then I’ll go get one. Just going to watch my diet in the time being. 
  • @greyl you could use the cuffs at pharmacies in grocery stores etc for now, so you could check between appointments but not have to have the anxiety of a cuff at home
  • @greyl yep, normal BP after delivery! Might just be one of those things. This time around, I may see if they can wait on taking my BP until after the ultrasound when I'm hopefully less amped up?

I personally liked having one at home but I can also see how it would make you crazy. But, I like your idea to wait until next time. It actually sucks to be pregnant and on a low-sodium diet, but it could be worse! For me it mostly meant a lot less eating out and more reading labels. 
  • @pghren that’s a good idea! Thank you!

@jennifer_louise that’s so nutty! It’s crazy what pregnancy does to your body. But I can’t really complain! I just want baby to be as healthy and safe as can be. That’s a good idea to wait until after your scan. It was so much at once for me so I was probably pretty anxious. I’m trying to limit my salt now, but you’re right it could be worse! I Gotta try to stay away from the processed stuff. 
  • Anyone having trouble with UTI’s? They always check urine at our first initial appointments around here and it came back positive for Strep B so they treated it. Rechecked at this last appointment and that’s gone, but now I have what looks like Strep D?.... I have NO symptoms, none! I don’t want to keep taking antibiotics with everything I’ve read about taking them during pregnancy, but I also don’t want to ignore an infection. I just think this is so bizarre? 

Also, not sure my stomach can handle another round of antibiotics.  :s
  • @chasingroygbiv that's so crazy! did you have symptoms when you had the strep B? Honestly I would be weary about taking more antibiotics too! What did they say about it?
  • @greyl None. The Strep B thing happened with my last pregnancy so they said I’d automatically have to be treated during labor, too.  :( I asked why some doctors wait to test at the end of pregnancies and they said because it can change every 5 weeks or so. Ok... so...... why can I not be checked again right before delivery?! I’d rather not subject baby to unnecessary antibiotics... with my first 2 checking for Strep B at the beginning wasn’t a thing, it was only testing at the end and I was negative both times.. 

They haven’t called or messaged yet, I saw my results on patient portal so hopefully they’ll call soon here! 
  • @chasingroygbiv wow! Yeah if you’re asymptomatic and the strep won’t be harmful to baby (until it’s time to deliver) then I wouldn’t want to keep taking antibiotics either. Because you wouldn’t have gotten checked if you weren’t pg ya know? But it would be interesting to see what they say. I’ve only heard of testing for strep b at the end too (do they check your urine or do a vaginal culture for that?) I saw in my results they did check my urine for bacteria as well though when I went for my first appt. 
  • krasburykrasbury member
    edited February 2020
    @robinj716 I was told shakeology isn’t safe while breastfeeding, so I always assumed it wasn’t during pregnancy as well, but I am not for sure 100%. I have been using Orgain’s clean protein shakes right now because they’re low-ish in carbs and sugar but really help me in getting enough protein during the day (which is always hard for me because I don’t eat a lot of meat).
  • @greyl It was a urine culture. This pregnancy and the last. 
  • @krasbury I think I’ll try what you’re using! I need to get healthier! 
  • Based on my LMP I am 8 weeks today. Went in for my first ultrasound (vaginal). The tech showed us the sac and she saw a flicker, but said I was much earlier than 8 weeks. She didnt give exact age, but I'm assuming closer to 6 weeks. They scheduled me for another ultrasound in a week and rescheduled my appt with my OB until after the next ultrasound. Does that sound normal, or is there anything I should be concerned about? I have been so anxious about this pregnancy, so this ultrasound freaked me out. Seems crazy that there could possibly be a 1.5 week difference in gestational age.