July 2020 Moms
Options

UO Thursday - 1/23

Hoping other people have some because I've got nothing! :lol:

Re: UO Thursday - 1/23

• Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I can agree with your first point... but when someone's kid tantrums because of something ridiculous, I like to laugh at it so I totally appreciate those posts lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 On of my FB friends just posted last night a 12 picture montage (created in some app) of her daughter getting sick, going to the hospital and at the hospital.  Umm, maybe just ask us to be thinking of her.
  • Options
    @blaf322 I'm not going to act like I've never taken a picture of my daughter mid-tantrum over something ridiculous, because I totally have, but I just don't then post it on social media. (Although I post a photo of her on social media maaaybe once/month so I'm in general just not a big poster.)

@bluguitarhannah that is ridiculous.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I agree.  I actually appreciate words more than pictures in most of those scenarios.  I know it will be tempting when we have a little one to share lots of moments and pictures on social media but I am trying to think about how there are ZERO tantrum or sick pictures of me floating around on the internet.  Sure, they might exist, but they're tucked in a photo album at my parents'. Kids growing up these days can have a social media presence before birth and they have no agency over that. Nobody asks them what they like to share and what they don't (and they don't know).  Not to say I have a bunch of issues with people posting their kids' pics. I like a bunch of posts from friends and family and I like seeing little ones grow up.  But oversharing by parents may have consequences for kids down the line and I don't think we (collectively, as a society) have really unpacked that yet. 

Yeah, I'm definitely writing this reply novel instead of working. 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 Totally with you on all points. We aren't posting anything on social media until our child is old enough to make an informed choice about it. This is partly inspired by DH's cousin who share at least 20 pictures a day of her kids. It is insane!

@rachelredhead It is dead at work today and I forgot my phone. No Jimmy Carr videos for me :(
  • Options
    My theory on people who over share on social media, they are scrounging for compliments/praise/prayers/validation. I feel like it’s just overcompensation and the need to be “heard”. Especially when it is not a flattering photo of your kid. The way of the world now, you have to be so careful of what you put on social media, so don’t put embarrassing things about your kid on there. 

My UO- I think the bachelor/bachelorette is the dumbest show on the face of this earth. 
  • Options
    @kc0711 I hate all the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise and Temptation Island and the like.  I will watch various Real Housewives and other tv garbage.  But I find the premise of those weird and the sexual situations they set up both contrived and potentially dangerous.  The dangerous part is more influenced by what I do for a living.
  • Options
    @kc0711 lol, I'm not one to watch tv on the regular, but when I was in university my roommates hosted weekly Bachelor viewing parties and I showed up 100% for the snacks lol, but I did kind of get into, through countless eye rolls. Haven't watched a single episode since, but I might show up to anything if there's gonna be snacks  :D 
  • Options
    Taking videos of my children having meltdowns is my coping mechanism. Then if it's extra funny I'll put it on my insta-story so then it's down after 24 hours. I've also found that with my 3yo at least, when I take a video it often distracts her from her meltdown and ends things... I strictly do this in the light of "this is making me miserable so can it at least be kind of funny for a day." But totally on the same page that these are real people and not just props to get attention with.
  • Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited January 2020
    @kc0711 yes! I cannot understand why that show is still on and continues to be popular. It’s just so ridiculous. I love trash tv as much as the next, but come on lol. The girls I work with love it and I’m always stuck sitting here while they’re talking about it .

I swear that most days I have all kinds of UO floating around my head. Until the day that this thread is posted. Then I have nothing to contribute 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    @Pascal86 that's nice that it distracts her! It makes mine RAGE (even more than she already is) :D So if I take a photo during a ridiculous meltdown, it has to be super sneaky lol
  • Options
    I'm a day late but @stlbuckeye132 I'm with you on the oversharing and the sick kid picture sharing. I have a work friend who is a major social media oversharer when it comes to his kids, but especially with illnesses. I swear some of then nasty pics he posts need a trigger warning! Like I don't want to see a close up of your kid with the flu and snot pouring out of his nose. No. I'm not a huge facebook poster (I go on it a lot, I just don't post a lot), but I do post maybe every couple weeks on Instagram since I got into it later and have therefore been much more selective about who I allow to "follow" my account. 
  • Options
    @blaf322 lol that sounds entertaining too, but probably not worth it!
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I thought of you today. DD was jumping in her crib after being put down for nap, jumped a little too hard, and catapulted herself out of the bed, head over heels 😂 (She’s fine, or we wouldn’t be laughing)
    Anyway, judge if you want, but I posted the camera footage on FB bc that hilarity needed to be shared. It’s straight out of an episode of America’s Funniest Videos 😂
  • Options
    I am kind of mid ground on posting sick kids and tantrums etc.  I feel like its reality and it shows daily life of what it is like sometimes to raise little humans and more times than not its not pretty and beautiful as Instagram would like you to think where everyday is tea parties in sweet outfits and your child is always an angel.  On the other hand I dont want to see disgusting nasty sickness either of a child or anyone for that matter so I think there is a fine line between being real and being gross.  
  • Options
    Oh and I hate pretty much 99% of reality TV and never watch it (save Survivor as we are in a work pool at my husband work) and wish the Kardashians especially would disappear forever.  
  • Options
    @blaf322 that doesn't sound like something I think shouldn't be shared! Sounds hilarious! But if you're posting pics of your puking child holding her puke bucket on the couch or little Timmy's first poop in the potty.... no thanks.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 totally agreed!

I wish you could share videos on here. You guys would thank me :D 
  • Options
    I'm so late to this one haha. My UO is that I hate when people's profile photos are just of their kids and they aren't in it at all. It's YOUR profile (and people are looking for you when they try to friend you). While your kid can def be part of it, you should have to be in it, too.

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20