Group 2 (July 8-16) check in: week of 1/27/20

EDD/weeks+days:

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: 

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: 

Upcoming appointments: 

How are you feeling? 

Raves/Rants: 

Questions: 

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you?

Re: Group 2 (July 8-16) check in: week of 1/27/20

• Options
    I know this makes me a psycho but I like to do my check-in on Tuesday when I change over weeks. So I'll be waiting until then which will also give me time to think of something fun for the GTKY question. Hope some other Group 2'ers will chime in soon!
  • Options
    EDD/weeks+days July 16th, 15+4

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Green

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: Baby is the size of a box of crayons!

Upcoming appointments: February 21st is the Anatomy scan 

How are you feeling? Some nausea and vomiting still, extremely emotional, some energy returning.

Raves/Rants: Hormones, man. I cried all day yesterday because I felt like my house was a disaster. It wasn't really, but I feel a but like the little things have been adding up and now I'm under a mountain and it's paralyzing when you don't know where to start 

Questions: How terrible of a person would it make me to agree to be team green with DH (He absolutely does NOT want to know) but secretly find out myself when they call with NIPT results next week and just make sure not to tell him? I'll also put it out there that I am a terrible secret-keeper. But I would try so hard not to spoil the surprise for him. I have one DD and three DS, and I know I would love any baby joining our family, but I am definitely (and quietly) hoping for a girl. I'm afraid of being slightly disappointed after delivery, and I definitely do not want to feel disappointed in that moment. I've never been team green and now, after agreeing, I'm struggling with it.

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? SO many things. One year, very early spring, (still lots of snow on the ground) I went on a trail run on a trail a teacher friend said her husband liked. She said he hadn't been on it yet that spring, he liked to wait until it was a little more clear. Anyway, on this run, the urge to poop HIT ME HARD. So, I pooped in the woods but didnt have any toilet paper, so I removed my undies to wipe with and was mid-wipe when her husband came running around the trail. This was an EXTREMELY rural area. Closest town (3-4 miles away) has a population of like 182 people. No reason to think anyone else would be out there. So awful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    EDD/weeks+days: July 12, 16w1

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Blue

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: Avocado

Upcoming appointments: Feb 5

How are you feeling? Pretty decent, a little tired

Raves/Rants: I am hungry all the time! I ate oatmeal and a banana like 2ish hours ago and am starving, send snacks...

Questions: None really although I'd be interested in books/resources that go over birth stories in depth/what you can and can't say no to in a hospital birth situation/patient rights/etc. I have a friend with some horror stories and want to be prepared.

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? Oh gosh, not sure if I can pick a specific thing but I constantly say things like "brooming" instead of sweeping and things like that and have long before I had pregnancy brain.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 YES! Thankfully he just kept on moving 😂 But we definitely avoided eye contact and talking to each other at the end of the school year cookout 😂😂

Love that your husband sent you a picture just to make sure you don't forget that special moment hahaha
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 and @modoodles I am dying at both of your stories lol. They are so good. And as for your question @modoodles do you think you can convince DH that you finding out and not telling him is best of both worlds? I totally get not being a good secret keeper because I'd struggle too in that situation lol. It would be really hard. BUT if you think it's going to help you mentally prepare, and he can still be surprised, that could be really cool. 
  • Options
    EDD/weeks+days: July 11/ 16w2

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Blue

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: CD

Upcoming appointments: Feb 7 just routine, blood draw for second half of genetic screening and we’ll schedule the anatomy scan for later in Feb

How are you feeling? Good except for some annoying lower abdominal pain. I’ve also had a bit of a tickle in my chest and have been coughing a bit but I’m trying to tell myself it’s just dry air. You do not have coronavirus, Rachel. 

Raves/Rants: My hair is super bouncy these days. I’ve always had thick hair but it feels thicker. My skin looks nice, too! But my rant is that I’m itchy. I slathered on lotion everywhere last night which seemed to help but I think my skin is just extra sensitive.

Questions: none really.

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? Oh man. So many. When I was in Peace Corps I routinely butchered Moroccan Arabic in really awful ways. I was serving coffee to a bunch of my students’ parents and kept mispronouncing the word for coffee in a way that sounded like the word for testicle. I still dream about that one! 

@modoodles as someone who has also pooped in the woods on a trail run, your experience is my nightmare!! 

@pocketrose I say “doodah” and “doodad” when pointing to various things I forget the word for and that has been a habit I’ve always had, can’t blame pregnancy. But I’m definitely using my dumb replacement words more often these days. 

@stlbuckeye132 I knocked over a pyramid of tomato soup cans once. It was the loudest and longest noise ever. I could hear cans rolling around for what seemed like hours (probably 2 minutes). Luckily, that happened the week before I moved so I never had to return to that grocery store. 😂
  • Options
    EDD/weeks+days: July 10, 16+3

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Finding out

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: Coke can

Upcoming appointments: Feb 7, hoping to know if I am team Pink or Blue yay!!

How are you feeling? Nausea is still a thing, but now appetite is gone and I feel bloated all the time...

Raves/Rants: 2 ago my MIL rubbed my belly, it was annoying because I can assure that 85% of my bump is just belly fat :a:neutral:

Questions: nope

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? well, the most recent I can remember of, was one day that I woke up late for work so I jumped in the first pair of jeans I saw (on the floor). Later that day I went in to the restroom and while walking out I saw some pink cloth laying there and my first thought was that it was a cleaning cloth or something, but then when I was closer I realize it was a sock, MY sock.... some random girl was washing her hand so I just waited until she left to pick it up, it was a cute sock with little black hearts... So yes, on the hurry I didn't noticed the sock in my jeans, luckily it was a sock and I think no one saw when it fell off from my jeans.... I think.... 
  • Options
    EDD/weeks+days: July 14/16 weeks today

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: finding out at anatomy scan

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: dill pickle?

Upcoming appointments: next Monday regular OB appt

How are you feeling? Stopped taking diclegis and trying to ride out the last fleeting instances of nausea thank god. Also this entire pregnancy my stomach has just been f'ed up. Like random mornings (like this morning) I'm convinced I have a stomach bug, but then it kind of goes away... but just a lot of indigestion and upset tummy feelings. But honestly I'll take that over the nausea any day.

Raves/Rants: Rave is that today is the first day I'm actually flaunting the bump (aka wearing a maternity shirt) and I'm actually pretty happy with how bump-y it's looking! Finally have progressed past the just feeling fat phase. Rant is the my husband has started snoring again and I seriously may smother him in his sleep.

Questions: I can never think of any at the time!

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? Nope, still thinking. I'm lame. I know that I have to have some stories but maybe I've blocked them out lol.
  • Options
    @rachelredhead I'm glad I'm not alone with knocking displays over in a grocery store! So embarrassing! haha

@mayisch a sock is better than a thong! Not that that's ever happened to me or anything...

@meanjellybean rock that bump!
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 yes!! Imagine a thong while you walk to a conference room hahaha that would've been so embarrassing  :lol:  
  • Options
    @modoodles omg bahahaha... I would have died right there. Like, send the search party out b/c she's dead. :D 
    @stlbuckeye132 love that your DH still won't let you forget bahaha
  • Options
    These embarrassing stories have me rolling hahaha I've been a little MIA but am trying to be more active here. I hate the bump app and feel like I miss so many things if I'm not at a computer :(

EDD/weeks+days: 16 weeks

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: We just found out! It's a(nother) girl!! 

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: Nectarine

Upcoming appointments: I have my 16 week appt today right before we do a gender reveal with our parents :)

How are you feeling? Morning sickness continues. Whyyyy lol. With my first, it was over as soon as I left the first trimester. This one is lingeringggg 

Raves/Rants: My parents are killing me. My mom was adamant she wanted to come over once a week and watch my first for a few hours after the new baby was here and she would stay overnight once a week. I thought that was so nice and I was soooo excited about it. Then she randomly texts me that she decided to go back to work and "maybe we can see each other on a weekend here or there."  WHAT?! It's her life; she has every right to live it how she wants. But she got me excited to have the support and help and I feel like the rug was pulled out from under me. I'm sad and angry.

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? My life is one big embarrassment lmao. I'll have to think a while to pick one specific thing!

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    modoodlesmodoodles member
    edited January 2020
    @rjk0427 I took birthing classes before my first two kids, and a breastfeeding class before #4. HIGHLY recommend a breastfeeding class if that is something you are interested in doing. Since this baby is DH'S first we will be doing a labor prep class and I'll be taking another breastfeeding class. All the classes offered at our hospital include a hospital tour, which will be really nice, even though we could really go for a tour on our own at almost any time. 

As for picking a pediatrician, we live  in a very rural community, so our family doctor will also be seeing the baby. 
  • Options
    @rjk0427 we have the same due date! and apparently our MIL are twins... hahaha we haven't had our gender reveal but I can totally picture my MIL doing the exact same thing... I know she wants to be nice but can be sooo annoying....

Congrats on your baby boy :blush:  
  • Options
    @rjk0427 omg your MIL. Ugh. Sorry. I would also recommend taking a birthing class and breastfeeding class if that's something you want to do. I found both very informative and helpful as a FTM! I didn't start thinking about a pediatrician until 3rd tri last time, and by that point I was soooo sick of researching everything. I asked a friend who I trust who she uses, and I just went with him haha I think that's an area it's good to find a personal recommendation if you can!
  • Options
    @modoodles I would find out if I wanted to but would tell him that I'm going to find out. I would explain that there's no reason we couldn't both have what we want and respect each other's right to want to know or not know. 
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Options
    EDD/weeks+days: July 7 (induced at 39 weeks bc I'm old and have big babies???) 16+3

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: PINK!!!

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: avocado. I've always wondered why the size goes up and down every week with these ridiculous object comparisons. I was an orange two weeks ago but now I'm an avocado. Have they never seen and orange before?

Upcoming appointments: Anatomy scan Feb 12

How are you feeling? Good. I'm getting regular flutters around 8 pm for the last few weeks and sometimes first thing in the morning. 

Raves/Rants: Loving the British maternity company Seraphine. Tons of cute clothes, though they've sent me the wrong size jeans four times. 

Questions: Any tall pregnant ladies with some great clothing recs?

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you? I don't get embarrassed too easily but I do stupid things all the time.

I guess something that is embarrassing is I have a perpetually awkward relationship with one of my son's friend's moms. I run into her literally everywhere (grocery stores, gym, school, library) sometimes multiple times per day. She's kind of quiet, I guess and I'll occasionally say hello too boisterously or joke that I'm stalking her and she looks horrified. Her son told my son that the reason they didn't get together for a play date this summer was that his mom tried to reach me but couldn't. I'm not really interested in being friends with her and haven't made any attempts to call her or anything but I wish it could be less painfully awkward when I see her in passing. Thankfully we are not at the same school anymore.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Options
    @rjk0427 I have a MIL like that and it surprises me how little she changes even after over ten years and two kids. We were asking her sister who is a doula about recs for doulas and my MIL yelled out "SHE can be your doula!!" I am pretty direct so I just said "Don't you think that should be our decision? Unless you're planning on giving birth to our child, right?" My MIL will never change. Usually it's pushy religious stuff but I just laugh it off at this point.

I have taken a newborn care class at a hospital, and I took an online course to learn about labor. I had a great doula the first time who provided support and education and care during labor. I also was lucky enough to have a great lactation consultant in the hospital with classes across the hall the second time. It's great because even though I breastfed my son past 12 months I had forgotten a lot of tricks about head positioning and helping the baby to latch. With my son, they just kind of left me in the room and I didn't know how often to feed him or really how to do it at all. It affected how long it took for my milk to come in. I think getting courses and also asking for help right after birth is essential given that experience. 
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Options
    @Skk1977 your embarrassing story sounds like something I would do re: telling someone shy that you're stalking them and then just getting stared at lol. I remember when I was on maternity leave and a friend and I were out at a beer garden (because it's maternity leave and you take advantage of the ability to day drink lol) and when it was getting close to happy hour time a group of people I know kind of through work showed up. One of the women came over to say hi and she happens to have the same name as the name we chose for DD. So I "introduced" them and then was like "I named her after you." Silence. Then she laughed but sometimes I wonder how freaked out she may have been at that second lol.

@rjk0427 I agree with @modoodles and @stlbuckeye132 that a labor and delivery class (preferably given by your hospital/birth center) and then a bf class if you plan to bf are definitely worth it. And I forget how early we picked a pediatrician but I asked for recs early on and then I don't think I called until a couple months or so before she was born. It was a very easy process. When you think about it, some people just show up at the hospital without having a pediatrician so doing it at all ahead of time puts you ahead of the game lol.
  • Options
    @meanjellybean having a sense of humor just makes things so much easier lol
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Options
    Thanks all for the class/peds advice! I’m also so relieved and SORRY that so many of you have MILs just like mine! The silver lining is that DH fully agrees that she’s crazy and overbearing. He’s already said that major boundaries will need to be set as it gets closer to July. Downside is that he’s so easy going (which I often love about him) but it’ll be up to me to put my foot down. @Skk1977 I may need your tips on being direct. Lol 
  • Options
    I know we have a new one going up tomorrow but these stories were just too funny not to participate. 

EDD/weeks+days: Due 7/9

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: we have an envelope but haven’t opened it

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: 🤷‍♀️

Upcoming appointments: 2/13 for my 20 week appointment and 2/21 for anatomy scan - same as @modoodles

How are you feeling? Okay. Overwhelmed. Mom (stage 4 PC) went septic and spent two weeks in the hospital. She was moved to a rehab on Friday and immediately decided she didn’t like it. She’s super weak so to convince her to stay I Uber down Friday night and I’m not sure when I’m going to get home again. 

Raves/Rants: I’m in a freaking medical facility that “doesn’t do microwaves” but also has NOTHING I can eat safely (celiac disease). I brought snacks but mom ate them all (and I wasn’t planning to be here this long). There is one safe restaurant around here, but they don’t open till 1239 and I’m starving. 

GTKY (stolen from Group 1): what's an embarrassing or hilarious thing that has happened to you?

1) when I was a teen I switched clothes with a friend. I saw her walking and thought to myself “what’s Danielle Andrews doing over there? Wait, I’m Danielle Andrews, what am I doing g over there?!?!?” Except I thought it out loud 
    2)re:words. I asked my husband to pass me the ketchup. He was confused and asked me again what I needed. “The ketchup” he gives me a funny look and I get annoyed “the ketchup the ketchup right next to you hand!”  
    “Babe, you mean this spoon?” 
  • Options
    @kittenslove the word struggle is real! I got so mad at my hubs the other day because I asked him to get my water bottle from my bedside table in the car. After he asked me where three times with repeat answers from me, he finally asked if he should go to the garage or our bedroom. I meant the side holder in the car door. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    Hi ladies! This is my first post on the group updates :)

EDD/weeks+days: July 15th/ 17w6d

Team Finding Out/Pink/Blue/Green: Pink

Baby is the size of a(n)/fun fact: Pomegranate

Upcoming appointments: I'm trying to switch to a new OB near me. Waiting to get medical history transferred from my other OB.

How are you feeling? Super tired. Like, borderline narcoleptic! I was anemic during my last pregnancy and I'm anemic now :(

Raves/Rants: I can finally eat again and enjoy my candles I got for Christmas. But, now I'm eating everything and gaining weight like crazy... Sheesh. Lol

Questions: Is anyone dealing with an umbilical hernia? 

GTKY: Having to juggle 3 kiddos while pregnant with my 4th has been exhausting! I was so tired this morning that, I didn't realize my pants were inside out and backwards. I took my 7yo to the bus stop like that! lol.. no one told me!