Chit Chat
Options

Unfair housing

So I’m 28 weeks with baby number 2 and my boyfriend and I are currently staying with family. We have been applying for houses/apartments because we want our own space with the baby comes. Well we have everything the landlords want, expect when it comes to the background check. My boyfriend spent a year in prison for resting arrest in 2014. Here we are 6 years later and he still can not find housing. No matter how hard we try. What I don’t get is when you are in prison they tell inmates if they fallow the rules and get a job, their lives will go back to normal. But so many places won’t hire, rent, or deal with ex felons at all. So how are they spouse to get their life together? If anyone has any ideas I’m open to any, due to it almost being April and we really want to have our own place before then. 

Re: Unfair housing

• Options
    So I’m 28 weeks with baby number 2 and my boyfriend and I are currently staying with family. We have been applying for houses/apartments because we want our own space with the baby comes. Well we have everything the landlords want, expect when it comes to the background check. My boyfriend spent a year in prison for resting arrest in 2014. Here we are 6 years later and he still can not find housing. No matter how hard we try. What I don’t get is when you are in prison they tell inmates if they fallow the rules and get a job, their lives will go back to normal. But so many places won’t hire, rent, or deal with ex felons at all. So how are they spouse to get their life together? If anyone has any ideas I’m open to any, due to it almost being April and we really want to have our own place before then. 
    I don't know if this will be helpful. 

-Don't look at big companies. Look at individuals. They're probably less likely to pay for background checks or to do a comprehensive one beyond just a quick search of online court records. 

-Get in front of it. "Here's the info for the background check. This will pop. This was six years ago, I've been a productive member of society since, I have these personal/work/landlord/probation officer references for my behavior since, etc."

-Offer to pay a larger deposit.