September 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight 1/10: Prenatal Vitamins

edited January 2020 in September 2020 Moms
I figured we could kick off this weeks Product Spotlight with Prenatals since this is a very important time to be taking them!
I snagged a schedule that's been used I think by a few BMBs now, but if you guys want to add/change anything let me know!!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing VITAMINS!

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fCSvGqefiQ7m-cqNEBzPuaIqF7BL2ost0Ta2sMjC-8w/edit?usp=sharing

Please use the prompts below (or any variation) to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs (or FTMs that already have said item): 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite prenatal/any vitamins:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a vitamin you don't take but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a vitamin you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on vitamins?:

For FTMs:

• Vitamin you're interested in/currently taking:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

(template taken from August 2020)

Re: Product Spotlight 1/10: Prenatal Vitamins

• I take New Chapter prenatals. I have an extremely sensitive stomach and can actually tolerate this on an empty stomach. I’ve never had much luck with any other kind.  

Pros: food based, easy on stomach, has ginger in them to *help* with nausea, folate, etc etc Can be ordered on amazon, few different options for how many pills to a bottle

Cons: they are on the more expensive side and you’re supposed to take 3/day (since they’re food based) so they’re gone quickly! Also.. 3x a day can be tough to remember, but I just try to remember it when I brush my teeth in the morning, at lunch time, and before bed when I brush again. 
  • edited January 2020
    I'm a FTM. I've been taking NatureMade Prenatal Multi+DHA. This is what I purchased at the store when I was first TTC because they didn't break the bank.

Pros: one soft gel a day with 70 doses so they last. Fairly inexpensive. Haven't had stomach issues with them yet. Have DHA in them which some prenatals have a separate pill for that.

Cons: Large, I don't mind them but I know it's a common issue for some people especially when our gag reflexes are heightened. Since they're inexpensive I know the quality isn't as good. They have folic acid instead of folate.

I will probably be purchasing better vitamins or just see what my provider says in relation to these. I try to get extra folic acid in the food I eat as well. 

Question: do you take your prenatal all the way up until delivery? 

• Loading the player...
  • @greyl take them the whole time, yes. If you’re going to BF your doctor might have you stay on them for that as well.
  • greyl said:
    I've been taking NatureMade Prenatal Multi+DHA. This is what I purchased at the store when I was first TTC because they didn't break the bank.

Pros: one soft gel a day with 70 doses so they last. Fairly inexpensive. Haven't had stomach issues with them yet. Have DHA in them which some prenatals have a separate pill for that.

Cons: Large, I don't mind them but I know it's a common issue for some people especially when our gag reflexes are heightened.
    I’ll be a 4th time mom. 
    I take these too. And stay on them until I’m done BFing. 
  • @starlynn91 thank you! I’m glad there’s someone else who takes these too :) 
  • I also take the NatureMade with DHA. This cycle I added a methylfolate supplement. My RE has said I don’t need both, and I could just take one or the other, but honestly I’m to anxious to change anything up just yet. Plus I already bought the bottle, so I might as well just take it during the weeks of neural tube development for peace of mind. 

For anyone looking for methylfolate, I bought the Jarrow brand which was very reasonably priced and tiny, easy to swallow pills!
  • I'm a STM, with my first pregnancy I took Rainbow Light Prenatal One. They were fine for me, but I did find the pills to be rather large. Even though it did have a lot of supplements I still needed to take more calcium and DHA since it was not in the blend. Later after my pregnancy I read that were found to have heavy metals. So, I wanted to find a different prenatal this time around. I wanted one that was complete so I didn't have to buy extra supplements.

I had and I'm taking Zahler Prenatal with DHA, and I have really liked them. They are vegetarian, have DHA, good amount of calcium, and easy on my stomach. The only con I can see with them is the price- $30 for 30-day, $61 for 60-day, and $87 for 90-day. I have seen them for more on certain websites. Thankfully I found a website for a privately owned vitamin shop in Florida and got a 90-day supply for $67. 
    https://www.professionalsupplementcenter.com/Prenatal-plus-DHA300-by-Zahler.htm

I didn't take prenatals after I gave birth last time, but I wish I did. I also, am considering getting my placenta encapsulated this time. I wasn't able to last time because I got an infection during my induction/labor. I have heard from a few other moms I know that it really helped in the first few weeks postpartum. Have any of you ladies done this?

I took BF supplements- Legendairy Milk, and they were amazing. I would highly recommend to moms who are breastfeeding and worrying about their supply. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @macheno where did you read that rainbow light contains heavy metals? I just started taking them....

Also, I encapsulated my placentas with my twins 14 months ago and also had some fresh blended into fruit for smoothies with my twins and I do believe it helped PP (the fresh more than the capsules).

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • I’m vegetarian so I use Natures Way Alive gummies. (No fish oil etc). I used them throughout my first pregnancy and breastfeeding. I actually still haven’t stopped since my 2 yr old still nurses once a day. I like the flavor of them just fine. 
  • Has anyone taken the Nature's Bounty ones with DHA, Omega3, & EPA?
  • This is late but Olly Prenatal vitamins are the only ones that don't make me nauseous, plus they're gummies that actually taste really good. 
  • So, I have a new formulation of the Rainbow Light this time, the Certified Prenatal which is 4 capsules a day. I keep finding that I've fallen asleep without taking the second two. Last time I took the Rainbow Light Prenatal One, but I would skip it because if how big the tablets were and the smell.

Are any of the more organic ones ever just one pill?
  • STM: I take nature made with DHA. I took these my last pregnancy and didn’t have any issues. I do take my vitamins before bed so that I don’t get an upset stomach. I bought a large bottle on amazon for around $13. 
  • @pghren It's tough. I find that the vitamins that only require 1 pill a day are usually like you said very large and hard to swallow. Maybe try finding one that's only 2 pills a day. The ones I take are 2 pills a day and easier than 1 giant pill.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @macheno do you take them at the same time or one am one pm? I take mine two at a time twice a day, but it tend to forget the evening ones  :/
  • @pghren I just take them both together. If I took them separately, I would probably forget. I also try to do midday as well. Evenings and mornings I would forget, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I’ve been taking the CVS prenatal gummy vitamins since my first pregnancy (so almost 7 years now). They are delicious and not too expensive, though I do try to stock up when they are BOGO or buy one get half off. The only thing is it doesn’t include iron which my OB said could be taken separately, though I haven’t had to take any iron supplements. 

• I take the Vitafusion gummies. I find I remember to take them better when I take gummies because I look forward to it since they are yummy lol. I take a fish oil supplement and extra vitamin D on top of that too.
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @Elsie42 I started with the Vitafusion gummies too, then tried the CVS version one day and swear they taste better (could be just my taste buds). I agree it’s easier to take when they are gummies.
  • I was doing fine with my big pills until the last few days where the thought turns my stomach... I know they’re so important right now, maybe time to switch to a gummy 
  • @notagoodpatient same for me, last night was the first time I couldn't get a big pill down.  Didn't have gummies on hand so I cut it in half and was able to get it down that way.  Definitely getting gummies asap. 
  • I've been taking a swallowable prenatal with milk, milk is thicker than water and it disguises the pill better.  I've been sick with a sore throat, so that plus the nausea is awful for swallowing pills- but the milk makes it possible for me! 
  • @boymamatwo

It's not just you! I think that too! 
  • boymommatwoboymommatwo member
    edited February 2020
    @pghren my husband takes the gummy prenatal too (he loves them 😂)