August 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series 1/17: Car Seats

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing CAR SEATS!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite car seat:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a car seat you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on car seats?:

For FTMs:

• Car seat you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Series 1/17: Car Seats

• Options
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: We have a tiny car and so overall dimensions were really important. We also wanted the option to be able to take a lyft or a friend's car without it being a whole process. We bought the stroller first (uppababy) and needed an infant seat that could connect.
    • Favorite car seat: infant seat - nuna pipa (we now use a convertible seat, the nuna rava, but you don't need to worry about those yet unless you are skipping the infant seat). 
    • Link/picture: https://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=keywordsearch&keyword=nuna+car+seats&typein=nuna&position=3 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): mid-high
    • What you like and don't like about it: We got the Pipa because it was one of the lightest and safest options. The Pipa Lite wasn't available at the time or we might have chosen that instead. I love that they are now flame-retardant free. That wasn't an option a few years ago and if they weren't so expensive I would upgrade for that aspect alone. This seems like a small thing, but I really love that it's really easy to tighten and release the straps. I've borrowed other car seats where it's such a struggle. 
    • Is there a car seat you don't have but are considering? Why?: Love the ones we have. Similar ones are Uppababy Mesa (but heavier) and Maxi-Cosi Mico
    • Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: A lot just wouldn't work for us. 
    • Additional thoughts on car seats?: You should definitely get and use one. 
  • Options
    @roo_baby LOL at getting and using one :) Seconded.

We also have the nuna pipa, so I'll skip the formal template and just add on to what @roo_baby said, all of which I agree with. We knew we wanted the nuna (a combination of weight, size, safety (though all certified car seats are extremely safe these days, it just had a couple extra bells and whistles I liked) and aesthetics) but struggled a lot between the "regular" and lite. Ultimately we got the regular because I really wanted to be able to use the seat without the base, and that served us so well with travel and even just ubering and carpooling around town. The dream drape was also awesome in those early months when baby would nap anywhere. 

It's rough to spend a few hundred dollars on an infant seat you know your kid will grow out of in a year, but if the budget allows for it I highly, highly recommend making the investment. It's SO NICE to be able to easily transfer baby from the car to stroller and/or destination without waking, and the infant seat was such an easy place to stash a sleeping or content baby while out and about.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @emiliadkay I knew there was something lacking in the Pipa lite. I would still go heavy then to be able to easily use without a base in another car.

what is the dream drape? I don’t think we had that.
  • Options
    coldlifecoldlife member
    edited January 2020
    We have the Chico Keyfit 30. We bought it because I have a small car, and it's one of the shortest front to back. It's still tight when my H drives, but it's workable. It's been a great car seat. I would like to have one with a one-hand-operated handle, but that's hard to find, so oh well. 

It can be taken completly apart and cleaned. "They say" not to take the straps off, but they're obviously made so they can be removed, and we did to get it really clean between kids. It was musty due to storage. I think that's just an idiot rule so if some idiot doesn't get them back on correctly (it's really not that hard), they can keep the liability off themselves. When we washed the fabric, one of the shorter seams came apart. So, the construction could be better. I resewed it, but they obviously didn't leave enough seam allowance so the stitching would hold together. 
  • Options
    @roo_baby The dream drape is like a blackout curtain that’s zipped inside of the top canopy of the seat on at least current models (it’s not in the lite because of extra weight, but is offered in the “lite XL”). It pulls down and attaches near baby’s feat with magnets — pretty cool idea.
  • Options
    So I'm all set with the infant carseat. My good friend's daughter just outgrew her Uppababy Mesa, so they passed it down to us (along with two bases). Because it's still so new, I know these friends take car safety seriously, and weren't in any accidents, I feel comfortable going with a used seat here. That said, y'all are making me covet the Pipa!

For once they grow out of the infant carrier: 
    • Car seat you're interested in: Britax Boulevard Clicktight
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $325
    • Any questions for S+TMs?: I'm not 100% sold on this, so would love to know what I should be thinking of/looking at that might not immediately come to mind since I'm a FTM? Also, how do people handle flying with their bigger seats? Do you normally fly with your main seat or do you have a more affordable option that you use for travel? I imagine we'll be doing a bit of flying and am just stumped at managing the logistics of transporting all the baby gear!
  • Options
    @rivercitynik I loved the uppababy mesa, too! And we ended up with an uppababy stroller so it would have been one less thing to deal with. Plus I really like the uppababy colors :)

Our convertible car seat is pretty heavy, so we bought the cosco scenera (less than $50) for travel. It's worked great on the airplane, and when we fly as a lap child we can check it without any sort of bag or worrying that it'll get banged up.
  • Options
    We're looking at the Chicco Keyfit 30 Zip (https://www.chiccousa.com/shop-our-products/car-seats/infant/keyfit-30-zip-infant-car-seat---genesis/04079015930070.html) as it seems to have a pretty universal fit for a lot of strollers too which is appealing and isn't priced too high.

FTM here, so I'm really interested in hearing the cons for this seat that people might have!
    Me: 39; DH 38
  • Options
    rivercitynik said:

Also, how do people handle flying with their bigger seats? Do you normally fly with your main seat or do you have a more affordable option that you use for travel? I imagine we'll be doing a bit of flying and am just stumped at managing the logistics of transporting all the baby gear!
    It's hard, not gonna lie. It's a real pain. We've always traveled with the regular seats. I had to travel once alone with both kids, and thus, both car seats (a bucket sans base and a convertible). I had a rolling duffle as well. I ended up using straps, cinch straps like backpackers/hikers use, to strap the convertible onto my duffle. It worked really well! 

I never ever carry on car seats to use on the plane or take them through security and gate check. I always check them straight through with the luggage. Lap baby (under 2) gets held. I traveled when my older girl was 2 and a quarterish, and she did pretty well with staying in her seat just buckled in with the lap belt. 
  • Options
    I already have two kiddos in car seats and this baby will make 3. We will need new cars (have two smaller sedans) - doesn’t moms have an SUV with 3 seats across? Any suggestions? I’ve read the Diono Radian is one of the slimmest seats you can buy so I’m considering getting a couple of those...
  • Options
    @laur84ns there is a Facebook group called car seats for the littles where people post different kid ages, stats, car seats, and configurations and get feedback from professionals on how to install. They say “vehicle selection” is out of their scope, but you could poke around other people’s posts  on 3 across and see if there is anything helpful there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rivercitynik the mesa is a great seat! that's awesome you got it for free. 

For travel, we either go places with public transit (plus uber in a few cities has car seats, and some other taxi/car services do, too), borrow a seat if we are visiting friends/family or rent a car from hertz since they will give you a car seat for free. The car seat enthusiasts will tell you not to rent a car seat because you don't know it's history, but I hate traveling with a car seat and hope to never have to do it again. Now that my LO is over 2, we will probably get a wayb for traveling with her then we just have to worry about renting/borrowing for the baby. 
  • Options
    @roo_baby I used to be super zealous about never using a rented car seat, then United lost our checked seat and we ended up accepting a rando seat pulled from a super sketchy closet behind the lost luggage counter at baggage claim. I had to get over that quick! 

But yes, traveling with (and especially checking) a car seat sucks. I have never not had to wait at least an extra 30 minutes for it, and the oversized luggage rack (where they usually get routed) is often so disorganized and overwhelming.
  • Options
    @rivercitynik we travel with the Cosco scenera for our 3 year old. It’s super lightweight, affordable, and easy to install. We have always gate checked it at the airport in a cheap travel bag. We have the Mesa too from when DD was an infant and flew with that and gate checked too - you don’t fly with the base though and just seatbelt install instead.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    >snip<
    But yes, traveling with (and especially checking) a car seat sucks. I have never not had to wait at least an extra 30 minutes for it, and the oversized luggage rack (where they usually get routed) is often so disorganized and overwhelming.
    Interesring. Ours have always come through at the same time with the regular luggage on the belt. Still a pain, but not that bad!
  • Options
    @laur84ns some mom's in my other BMB use the diono for that reason. They say it's great! 
  • Options
    @coldlife Jealous. Our home airport sends carseats to the oversized baggage claim, so we knew we'd have to deal with it on at least one leg of the trip every time. We certainly haven't traveled everywhere, but I know we had the same experience in Denver and one other airport before we gave up and started buying DS a seat and taking it on the plane with us.
  • Options
    @tara4910 Thanks so much for the top! I’ll go check that page out, sounds like it could be super helpful. My husband is pretty set on getting a Hyundai Santa Fe so I’ll be interested to see if anyone there has one and manages 3 car seats. I’m thinking a minivan may be more the size we need!

@riatortillaxo Ah this is good to hear! I wish they weren’t so expensive but they are a full 3” narrower than our current Britax so if you add up the space savings for two of them side by side that’s 6”! Could make a huge difference!
  • Options
    I actually love our minivan, such a nice tradition from our sedan, the trunk space is amazing (especially travelling and camping since we just use tents). We are only now expecting our 3rd and wish we had done the van earlier.