May 2020 Moms

GTKY: Old Wives Tales

All this talk about heartburn got me thinking about Old Wives Tales. We will see how this goes. It is geared towards those who already have kids and know the sex of this current pregnancy. So basically what old wives tales of pregnancy were true and not true for your kiddos. You can skip things that just didn't apply.
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: GTKY: Old Wives Tales

• DD
    True:
    • Sweet cravings
    • Baby's heart rate was always greater than 140
    • Chinese gender prediction was correct
    False:
    • My skin was glowing, no acne
    • She had a full head of hair & I never had heartburn
    • I was super clumsy during pregnancy.

DS (this current pregnancy)
    True:
    • More frequent headaches
    • Acidic/salty cravings
    • Baby's heart rate was always lower than 140
    False:
    • Terrible skin and acne
    • Chinese gender prediction was wrong
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• With DS I had great hair, great skin, and raging heartburn. HR was around 140.

With DD I had okay hair, crappy skin, and raging heartburn. HR was above 140.

Both had full heads of hair when they were born.

With the twins, I have great hair, okay skin, and very little heartburn. Their HR's  are 150 and 153. So maybe having twins throws it all off. Because there's no way these two won't have hair and their HR's are basically the same, even though they're boy/girl. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had morning sickness with both of my girls. Also heart rates are/were above 150. Had heartburn with my daughter and she had hair.

Haven't broken out with either of them. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• DD was bald but I had terrible heart burn, her heart rate was always >150, I got extra hairy (like all my tiny body hairs got long and dark) with her (not sure if that's a old wives tale or not, but I count that as girls stealing your looks). 

I'm team green again this time, and this one's heart rate is >150 as well, I'm hoping see that old wives tale holding true means I get another girl, but we'll see.

• @m6agua Fun idea!

DD1

True:
    • Chinese gender prediction
    • Heart rate 140-150
    • Heartburn = hair
    • moody 

False:
    • Pregnancy acne/blemishes - my skin was pretty clear which "should" mean boy
    • My morning sickness was very mild, no actual vomiting.  I think they say if you're more sick it's a girl.
    • I craved more sour/salty than sweet most of the time
    • "sympathy weight gain" for DH - he stayed the same weight through pregnancy lol

DD2 (This pregnancy)
    True:
    • Chinese gender prediction

False:
    • Pregnancy acne/blemishes - my skin was pretty clear which "should" mean boy
    • My morning sickness was very mild, no actual vomiting.  I think they say if you're more sick it's a girl.
    • Heart rate 130-150 (so I guess this is both above and below the imaginary 140 "threshold" so this tells us nothing)
  • Chinese prediction: DS1 (correct), DS2(correct), DD(this pregnancy) - not sure because i'm not sure if it was aug or sept
    Acne/blemishes: DS1 (wrong, I had bad skin), DS2 (correct, fairly clear), DD(this pregnancy, so far wrong)
    Cravings: DS1/DS2/DD - craved sweet for all 3
    Heart rates: DS1/DS2/DD - 150's for all 3
    Heartburn: DS1/DS2 correct - terrible HB, full heads of hair. Just started w/ heart burn this pregnancy
    Morning Sickness: DS1 - true, DS - false, DD - true (worse morning sickness with follow on pregnancies)

• @m6agua Definitely a fun idea!

Chinese Chart: DD1: wrong, DD2 (this pregnancy): wrong
    Skin: Girl pregnancies both times have been wrong. My skin is acne prone normally but is much clearer when pregnant. Go figure. 
    Cravings: Wrong. I want salty and sweet.
    Heartrate: Right! DD1 it was higher but I can't remember numbers. DD2 it was 180 at 9 weeks, 165 at 13 weeks. 
    Heartburn: DD1 had a full head at birth so I'm expecting the same for this girl. 
    Sleep side: I prefer the right this time and last, so true.
    Morning sickness: True with both!
    Ramzi: True for DD2. Didn't have an early us with DD1.
    Mood: True for DD1 and DD2.
  • With DS:
    I carried him like I'd stuck a basketball up my shirt -- true.
    I craved fruit, which falls more into the sweet category than salty or sour -- false
    I had zero morning sickness -- true.
    I had heartburn and he had hair -- true.
    The Bump's Chinese gender chart was false with him, but the more involved one with my lunar age was correct.

With DD:
    I got big all over with her rather than the basketball out front -- true.
    I craves nectarines and rainbow sherbet (the exact things my mom craved with me) -- true.
    I had morning sickness with her until delivery -- true.
    My skin sucked with her -- true.
    I had terrible heartburn and she had a full head of hair - true
    Gender chart -- The Bump's was incorrect but the lunar age one was correct.

Current pregnancy (boy):
    He's a basketball out front -- true
    I'm craving Cap'n Crunch w/ Crunch Berries, nothing salty or sour -- false
    I still have morning sickness -- false
    I have had a few zits, so worse than with DS but not as bad as DD -- toss up
    I haven't had any heartburn -- TBD
    Gender chart -- Bump's and lunar age one are both correct
  • DS -
    heart rate always right around 140 - true 
    no morning sickness - true
    craved sweets - true 
    great skin - false, I had terrible breakouts 
    lots of heartburn and full head of hair - true 
    Chinese calendar predictor - true

Boy Boy - 
    heart rate always right around 140 - true 
    no morning sickness - true
    craved sweets - true 
    great skin - false, again terrible breakouts 
    lots of heartburn and full head of hair -no heartburn yet so we will see
    Chinese calendar predictor - false 
  • DS1: HR was always above 150. I had HG with him so morning sickness beyond. I did have good skin though and I had crazy heartburn and he did have hair (though super light so it was hard to see). Chinese Gender predictor was right! I craved mashed potatoes and pickles so sour and salty. 
    DS2 (current):Heart rate is always 125-130. I still had morning sickness though not as bad and I am breaking out worse than when I was a teenager. Lots of heartburn, this kid better have a full head of hair! Chinese Gender predictor correct again. I wants all the potatoes this time and bananas so cravings are weird. 

Also both boys have made me moody, I suck at being pregnant and am really not a fan of this part, I like getting a baby part though.