August 2020 Moms

Sleep Comfort/Sleeping Aids

Listen, we're all in this for the long haul, and I know we have a ways to go. Is anyone else feeling uncomfortable sleeping in bed at night already? I'm already building awkward pillow nests and tossing and turning looking for comfort. 

What are you guys using to help support yourselves during sleep? Are you using "maternity pillows" already? Are you holding out to use something like that until later? Can you share your wisdom with me (and I'm sure other ladies who are starting to get uncomfortable at night) here? What are your favorite tips and tricks to lay in bed and sleep comfortably? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep Comfort/Sleeping Aids

• I think I have an old Boppy maternity pillow I am waiting to use until I really need it. For now, since I can sleep on my back, I am doing it for as long as I can. I already can't keep on my belly or on my right. 
    Image result for boppy maternity pillow
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• I’ve used my pregnancy pillow since my son was born in 2017 haha! My hips have never ever been the same. No shame in starting early. We gotta get all the sleep we can! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Dh got me a snoogle last time. I wasn’t crazy about it because it was one that also supported your head and I really like my regular head pillow. I may do some research or just use regular pillows. 
    Craft Blog
  • I never bought any pregnancy-specific sleeping products. I did use two fairly thin pillows (out old regular pillows for sleeping) in one pillow-case, folded that in half, and stuck it between my knees. Sleeping on my side, the top hip (so if I was sleeping on my right side, my left hip) would hurt like crazy the next day. I think the ligaments or muscles would just be stretched all night long and be so sore the next day. I don't sleep much on my side not pregnant, but when I do, it's not an issue not pregnant. Something about everything being looser in pregnancy, I guess. 

Anyway, having the pillows between my knees kept my legs more aligned and avoided the soreness. 
  • Anytime I have extra pillows in bed my husband complains he has no space...
  • I didn’t use anything my first pregnancy. My second pregnancy I tried a snoogle because a friend offered it for free. And it gave me sciatica 😂 

I’m sticking to my own individual pillow orientation again. 
  • sarah0985sarah0985 member
    edited January 2020
    I use a u-shaped pillow. I’m a double pillow sleeper and sleep with a pillow between my legs not pregnant anyway. In my first pregnancy, it hurt so bad to sleep on my hips so I piled up pillows in a recliner (eta to mimick a recliner) and would sleep with my legs out with my knees bent and over the long edges of the pillow. I’m already finding that’s my favorite position again. If the pressure was too much towards the end I’d prop up half my side on the long edges so I was sorta on my back but not on my hips. 
    I’ve already busted out my pillow and I love it. 
    Weirdest thing; I hateD my u-shaped pillow after pregnancy and I hate sleeping on my back not pregnant. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • sarah0985sarah0985 member
    edited January 2020
    Anytime I have extra pillows in bed my husband complains he has no space...
    Call me a jerk but I’d tell mine to deal with it for a few months 😂🤦‍♀️ I found sleep so hard my first pregnancy and he slept fine even with less space so my need trumped his preference for that short time 🤷‍♀️ 
    Eta: that said, we weren’t sleeping in twin or full size beds. So he waas more than fine for a temporary situation 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • The best sleeping investment I have made since my last pregnancy is a king sized bed, haha. I had such an army of pillows by the end last time that DH was hanging off the edge. I didn't find that any pregnancy or body pillows were particularly helpful for me; I just got a cheap pack of fake down ones that get stuffed in various orientations depending on my position. I've also found the pillow between the knee trick helpful for sleeping on my side. They're also good for tucking under the bump towards the end, or supporting giant engorged breastfeeding boobs postpartum.
  • I bought this hiccapop wedge pillow for when the belly starts to feel heavy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KG84CLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • @sarah0985 I try that and we are at least in a queen, but then I feel bad...can't win lol. 
  • We got a king size bed and I'm never going back lol. For my first pregnancy I just got a long body pillow which worked okay. 
  • @hadassah2020 You're really nice. Last time I kicked my husband out of the bedroom for most of my pregnancy because he was affecting my sleep haha.