September 2020 Moms

January/February Appointments

edited January 2020 in September 2020 Moms
Here’s a thread to talk about all of your upcoming appointments and any ones that you have already had! Feel free to ask any questions or bring up relevant topics! We also have an ultrasound thread that can be referenced here: 
https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12750189/the-ultrasound-thread#latest

Re: January/February Appointments

• Just called this morning and my first appointment is booked for February 3rd! I will be 7w1d according to LMP. I think a lot of us have appts that day. The lady said something about having to be at least 6 weeks to get a heartbeat so I am assuming I will have a scan. I will be seeing a midwife. I am anxious but excited! 
    Question: when did you have your first scan/when is your first scan scheduled? 
  • So many appointments. I'm going to have a scan and a chat with an OB next Friday the 24th. The 31st I have an appointment with my high risk doctor. I'll probably have another 2 scans next month, and then finally graduate to the OB clinic February 27th.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • I have my first appointment 2/4. I'll be 9 weeks by then. I'm going through a birthing center so I'll be seeing a midwife. I'm not too sure what the first appt will entail but I want to hear the heartbeat!
  • My first appointment is 1/27. I have to go in on 1/24 for a blood draw and the dr will go over my results at the appointment. 

I’ve always had a transvaginal US at my first appointment (for those wondering) so the dr can measure the baby. 

I’ll be 7w3d then!
  • My first appointment is 2.5 and I am so hoping for an ultrasound (although I don’t look forward to the wand 🙄)
    I need to hear that little heartbeat and see that little bean.
  • My appointment is February 3 as well.  I will be 8 weeks.  It's crazy to me how different every practice does things.  At mine the first appointment they do a scan and exam and talk about your history and stuff.  It feels so far away and I’m so very anxious. 
  • I have an appointment Tuesday 1/21 with a viability scan a repeat progesterone level. I’ll only be 5+4, so while I think there’s a small chance of HB, my RE mostly just wants to see an intrauterine gestational sac and maybe yolk sac.

TW:loss
    I know this is way earlier than most people posting, but it’s because of my loss history and because I see the RE instead of the normal OB clinic. With my first 2 pregnancies I was scheduled first appointments around 8 weeks (but didn’t make it that far.  I’m very grateful to be seen so soon because I’m a huge ball of nerves and having to be in the fluoroscopy suite this week (even with a double layer of lead) has me freaking out even more. 
    For those of you who see an RE for either IF or RPL, do you “graduate” from them to a regular OB practice at some point or do they keep you all 40 weeks?

Good luck to everyone on their first appointments!
  • My first one is 1/30 and I’ll have an ultrasound then meet with the doctor. I’ll be exactly 8 weeks based on my LMP. 
  • I had my first appointment today. It was sooo much longer than I thought it would be. I met with the doctor and discussed my history and what my appointments and testing would be like throughout the pregnancy. Then an ultrasound-saw the baby heard the heartbeat-and an exam. Then I met with the RN and went over the giant welcome packet they gave me. This office does virtual visits for some the visits, and they give you a BP cuff to take home and use in the visits. Then I had to schedule my next 4 appointments. Then bloodwork, and finally I was done. I have to schedule a dating ultrasound to confirm the date my doctor gave me in order to be able to have the bloodwork done for the genetics test. Also, I have to schedule my NT test. All in all a long day, but nice to see the baby and the office and staff seem very nice.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first appointment is 2/3 at 9wks+5. Which compared to everyone else seems really late. That day will include a dating ultrasound and getting lab work orders. I have my intake appointment 2/7 which will cover the family history and info dump type stuff. I am just so ready for the first appointment.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Back when I was a “normal” patient I wasn’t usually seen until 9-12 weeks. They’d do the slew of labs, history, dating u/s.

**TW** Once I became a RPL patient they started seeing me around 6 weeks. This go around I had zero idea how far I could be due to my cycle not coming back yet from having our last baby 2 years ago, so they had me come in. First appt they just did a dating scan only. Went back today for the 500 tubes of blood, urine, history, exam. They want me back in two weeks just to keep a close watch. Nerve wracking really, but trying my very best to stay positive. It’s tough. **End TW**

Usually towards the end of first tri they’ll send me over to my MFM due to being high risk because of Factor V Leiden. With our last pregnancy I also ended up with Polyhydramnios so I was glad I had already been referred to MFM with our very first pregnancy and had been being followed. Made scheduling a lot easier. 

@notagoodpatient With our last pregnancy I started with RE/I— after they saw a heartbeat they dismissed me to Maternal Fetal Medicine/General OB.  
  • The OB clinic here doesn't normally see you until closer to 12 weeks, which I find is really late but whatever.
    I'm just abby normal.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I just found out a week ago I was pregnant, first appointment Jan 28. I guess I'll be close to 8 weeks then! Ultrasound first then appointment with the nurse directly after. I cannot wait for this appointment, the unknown has my anxiety off the charts. 
  • Sending good vibes to everyone who has appointments tomorrow and this week!! <3
  • I'm so excited about my appointment tomorrow; we'll finally get to see the little bean on ultrasound. These past few weeks have been so stressful so I'm so excited to be able to focus on something positive; even if it's just for a minute.

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • @notagoodpatient That is surprising to me that you didn't get to hear the heartbeat. Also, five weeks feels like such a long wait. I had that between finding out and the first appointment.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @notagoodpatient that’s weird... what gestation was that? Normally they do it before discharge 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @notagoodpatient Aw that’s a bummer you couldn’t see the waves or hear it :( I have heard of some not being able to. Maybe it depends on their equipment? Or maybe they just didn’t check that? Did you get a bpm? With mine I think that’s how they got the bpm. My midwife did something to put the heart rate visual on the screen and then there was audio. My next appt isn’t for another 5 weeks as well, I’ll be 12 weeks then. That stinks that you can’t get in sooner!! 
  • @NYTino24 @jennifer_louise and @greyl
    I also thought it was weird. But maybe it’s an equipment thing? I was 7w5d. Dr. told me the heart rate was 141. He measured this thing on the ultrasound (in spoiler) and 141 popped up. And he said everything was great, but we didn’t hear anything. 

Also, the 5 weeks freaks me out because I feel like I’ll be behind. My first pregnancy I had an appointment with general OB at 8 weeks. Now it won’t be until like 13 weeks. Am I going to miss important prenatal testing?
  • I never hear the heartbeat from the ultrasound 🤷 they always just measure it, and haven't even done that this go around. They use the doppler or the NST machine to hear the heartbeat
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @notagoodpatient oh interesting! Definitely looks different than mine. Sounds like it was an equipment thing then. 

My midwife said they generally like to do the NT scan close to 13 weeks. Mine is just at 12 because my first appt was kinda early at 7+1 and They didn’t want to wait that long before my next one. I think the NIPT can be done anytime after 9 weeks usually in the first tri if you’re planning on that. I guess the only thing that would be beneficial to getting it done early is if you wanted to know of any abnormalities ASAP. But I don’t think you will miss anything. They asked me what testing I wanted to do (I opted out of the NIPT for now). And I think that determined what my next visit would be like. I would probably call to ask what’s planned for your next visit! I have my scan on a Monday and my regular visit on that Wednesday (it’s a group visit with other expecting moms due around the same time. It’s apparently a newer thing that’s supposed to be good so I’m going to see if I like it) 
  • @notagoodpatient If you're interested in NIPT I'd ask to get in for lab work at 10 or 11 weeks!
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • Yes @notagoodpatient If you want NIPT (something like MaterniT21 testing or similar) waiting that long may be pushing it. I go next week (11 weeks) for nuchal and NIPT. 
  • @notagoodpatient With most US I've had, I can usually see thr heart beating or the sound wave at the bottom. The tech or doctor usually has to turn the sound on to let you hear the heartbeat. Did your doctor not discuss with you any additional 1st trimester testing? Maybe call them to discuss. NIPT is technically for women AMA close to or over age 40 and anyone with a history of genetic disorders, so most insurances won't cover it. I had it last time, and it was pricey. This time I'm getting a regular 1st trimester blood test that is for AMA (I'll be 35 right before baby is due), but is covered.

I have my next appointment a few days after 12 weeks on 2/21, but I'm also getting my NT scan and genetic bloodwork done on the same day. For my 1st pregnancy my OBs office would schedule everything- regular prenatal visits, US, bloodwork, and any other testing. My current OB only schedules their appointments and gives me the orders for any additional testing. I have to call and make those appointments separately. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Switched doctors today and my first appt. will be 2/28. 
  • @macheno I called my insurance, and while I don’t completely believe them, they say the cover NIPT for me. I know the PPV of the test is lower in younger women, which is part of the reason I’m not sure it’s for me. 

I’ve been seeing my RE, and I didn’t realize how early he would graduate me, so we didn’t discuss any screenings. When I went to make my OB intake, they available dates weren’t until so late... I brought up screenings but the secretary wasn’t particularly helpful. If I can’t move up the appointment, I’m going to at least confirm they can to do NT at my first appointment since I’ll be 12.5 weeks already. 
  • mflowers929mflowers929 member
    edited February 2020
    I did the NIPT with DS and they told me my risks were the same as a 15 year old 😂 apparently I have young eggs lol. They told me that based on my history I should definitely get it done with all pregnancies though, just in case. I'm just lucky that it's something that started being covered by medicare shortly before DS
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @notagoodpatent What you saw was them measuring the bpm (between the plus signs). DH has my last ultrasound in his truck and he’s working a 24, but I can show you what mine looks like tomorrow. Usually the RE discharges patients around 8 weeks. They don’t do genetic testing on fetuses as far as I know - that’s the OB / MFM. We won’t be able to do NIPT due to triplets. I don’t think we plan to do amniocentesis or CVS unless the growth scans / NT test at MFM show we should worry... so we will have to wait until the anatomy scans to find out the sexes of the babies. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility