March 2020 Moms

January Appointments

Re: January Appointments

• @dunder_mifflin, I’m O neg and have had the shot twice already. Surprised they had zero interest in testing my partner’s blood type, and do feel like if I hadn’t done a stupid amount of research I wouldn’t know what was going on every visit 🤷🏼‍♀️ But I can definitely understand your frustration!!

@miss.sally, ugh the worst! Hope the rest of your day is relaxing and easy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @EmilyLove25 sameeeee with the 36+ appointments! It’s so insane to me that we are so close. Like. What?! 
  • @miss.sally I'm so sorry! That's the worst! Hope you're feeling better soon, but super annoying you have to go through this again. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • @dunder_mifflin yikes, that’s a big screw up on their part and I’d be frustrated too! Def let them know you expect better from here on out! 

@miss.sally Aww man, that sucks!! Hope you have better luck next time and can get it over with!!

@EmilyLove25 There’s something comforting hearing people are actually excited for the final weeks to come lol I only hear god awful things plus I’m FTM so I’m just terrified of it all lol
  • @miss.sally oh no!!! I'm so sorry this morning was such a disaster. I wonder if you could try monitoring your blood sugar for a week instead? Because who's to say you won't end up throwing up again... I can't even fathom all that sugar on an empty stomach. It was tough enough on a protein filled stomach. 

@dunder_mifflin OMG, that is crazy! Honestly, I would triple check your blood work before proceeding with the shot. Lab error is a real thing.

Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• @varimama I do the blood pressure check and urine protein check every appointment, could it be that the risk of pre-e ramps up toward the end so those things would be more important to check? Maybe you could ask if you can go check your blood pressure somewhere nearby and report it in to them.
    @dunder_mifflin How strange about your blood type, I would def want to have it tested again! I always feel like it must just be me not asking enough questions or something, but I always feel so in the dark when it comes to healthcare everything. 
    @puppylove8910 I also love my pregnant self's butt!! I don't have much to speak for when not pregnant, so it's nice to get a little booty!
    @miss.sally Oh noooooo, so sorry that you threw up and have to go through that again

I am on the two week schedule so go back this coming Monday. Feeling a little nervous about my OB, he's really old and my SIL just had him do an ablation and had major complications from it. My last C-Section was done by a resident with him overseeing and it was perfect, but he'll be doing this one, eek.
  • @miss.sally I’m so sorry to hear about your morning!!
  • Catching up on threads. 

@miss.sally that is awful. I’m so sorry you threw up. I hope the next test goes much better. Did they have any tips to prevent feeling nauseous for next time?

@EmilyLove25 birth was def not the best experience of my life. Most monumental/interesting: yes. Best? Not close ha. But I hope all FTMs get the feelings u did!

@puppylove8910 and @stac4056 wish I liked my preggo butt. I just yesterday realized how wide it is. I was alarmed looking in the mirror and was like, that’s me?  :o
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @silverhope unfortunately no tips. Since it’s a fasting test there isn’t much you can do differently. My midwife never called back but hopefully she will today and they’ll offer an alternative because I’m not doing that again. 
  • @miss.sally You might be able to do what I did & draw your blood 4x day/week and have them look at the results/call if any are higher than they are supposed to be. 
  • @dunder_mifflin You should have been told that when they found out. That's really terrible. 

My mother insisted I was B+ my whole life. Turned out she was wrong and both my younger sister and I are B-. My older half sister is B+, so I've just assumed she mixed us up. If it helps, rhogam is nbd imo. I've had it 5 times. I've also dealt with blood group jaundice in a newborn if you have any questions (DD had ABO incompatibility at birth). 

My OB is big on hand holding and even gives me deadline/suggestions for completing things pregnancy-wise. I still need it to some extent honestly and its great to have someone else give me some reminders cause I'm forgetful. I found it super helpful in my first pregnancy as well, so I agree with you. 

• @mrsvp614 my baby is breech right now too and I was/am stressed about it but y OB said not to worry just yet. 

• @mrsvp614 It's very surreal feeling!! Yea I can't believe your tech either, wth!!!
  • Had such a pointless appointment today. Waited an hour for only TWO minutes with the doctor. Why are appointments every two weeks necessary? At least my next appointment will be a growth scan so that's something 👍
    **TW**

• @aerie_star glad to hear I’m not alone! Similar stories :) the midwives have held my hand pretty well the whole pregnancy but I think this one was an oversight. But they realize they messed up and apologized. We will see next week at my 31 week appointment if it’s brought up again, I have a different midwife than the one I had last who heard my complaint. 

@m@mrsvp614 ugh that is so frustrating- she probably made you feel panicked over something you don’t need to worry about yet or potentially at all. 
  • @puppylove8910 very much feel this. My OB/NP always only see me for a hot second and last time I legit waited 2 hours to see them. Sigh. I can’t wait to be rid of this insanely busy practice post-baby.

i’m gonna find a nice gyno who isnt busy after this baby when I don’t need a good OB anymore. 

• Oh man. I left my appt (31 week checkup) so irritated with my OB. I swear any ailment I have, her first and only recommendation is straight to medications! And I noticed a lot of you girls talking about “growth scans”, so I asked my OB and she said “We don’t do those unless there’s some complication or we think you might be having a big baby.” So all she does is heart rate, see what position she’s in, and then measures my belly with a tape measure to see if I’m growing on track and “we would only be concerned if you were growing 4 weeks ahead.” 

And then I mention I’m having contractions maybe once or twice a day (lower abdomen with back), and she says “Oh we don’t care about that unless it’s happening every 5 minutes - then go to the hospital.” Yet in my childbirth class last weekend they said be concerned if you’re having any regular contractions if you are under 37 weeks bc if you are preterm we want to know ASAP and hopefully slow things down if you really are going into labor. So it’s like no lady...that’s bad advice you’re giving me. Ugh.

I could honestly write a novel about all the things that irritated me about that appt but I’ll spare you all. Man, I have been ragey lately! Bah! 
  • @mrsc918 well your OB is right about scans. I’m not getting one either bc I’m only measuring a week ahead. Mine also only does HR, position, and fundal height Until 35 weeks. I’m sorry you’re feeling frustrated with your provider but try to remember you’re paying them because you hopefully trust their medical opinion. It might not align with everyone else’s doctors and you also don’t know everyone’s medical history. Some women are getting more scans because of being AMA or a condition with a previous pregnancy etc... Try to relax, if your doctor isn’t concerned you shouldn’t be either! They’ve done this before! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I forget where RRLT was being discussed but I asked my OB his thoughts yesterday considering its supposed to shorten labor and we have an hour drive to the hospital. His opinion was that it’s not going take a labor that would be really long to suddenly be less than an hour so he thinks it’s safe. He said he’s honestly not sure it’s as effective as people think it is but he said it won’t hurt anything so if I like it feel free to drink it. I’m not a tea drinker so I’m going to give it a shot but if I don’t like it then I’ll probably skip it. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @mrsc918 Just to help ease your mind a bit about the growth scans - my practice also just does viability/optional NT scan/anatomy scan.  Anatomy scan is the last one unless you have complications that warrant additional ultrasounds.  My practice also isn't concerned about occasional contractions unless they are consistent (several in an hour) and don't go away with rest.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • @mrsc918 I'm sorry your appointment didn't go well. With my DS, my OB only checked urine, BP, Doppler and Fundal Height until 36 weeks. My appointments were always SO fast. I never had a growth scan with DS because my fundal height always paired with the gestational week I was in. I was 33/34 years old during that pregnancy. This time around I'm having a scan at 33 weeks probably because I'm AMA. 37 when I deliver. Although, no doctor has specifically called me AMA they probably just want to make sure all is ok. I wouldn't worry! 
    **TW**

• @Malidocious growth scans aren’t normal unless there are complications. Also my dr doesn’t typically tell me how I’m measuring unless I specifically ask or if there is an issue. I usually don’t bc if he thinks it’s ok that’s good for me. I did ask this time bc I look way further along than in my pregnancy with DS but he explained that’s normal during second pregnancies and this babe is measuring along the line of what DS was at this time even if I look bigger. I don’t think they give you a weight estimate unless you get an u/s and  u/s are notoriously wrong so don’t freak out one way or the other. My babes seem to turn head down early. DS was heads down from the anatomy scan to birth and this babe seems to be following track so im not sure when they mention other options for breach. I do know that babies can turn at any time, even right before or during labor, it’s happened to friends of mine. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @mrsc918 just to echo the other ladies, my OB also told me that my anatomy scan would be my last US unless there’s complications. I get weight, BP, baby heartbeat and fundal height checked each appointment. No idea how much the baby supposedly weighs which other ladies know (although I hear weight estimates are pretty inaccurate anyway). These appointments are so quick and seem a little pointless, but it does do wonders for my peace of mind to hear her heartbeat! I’m fortunate that my OB never has a long wait and I’m usually in and out in 30 min or less. I’d be way more frustrated if I had to wait hours for a 15 minute appointment!
  • just to +1 for anat scan being the last U/S unless something is wrong or my fundal is way behind or way ahead... AFM - I'm trying to decide if I want cervical checks or not. I'm going to ask if they become mandatory at some point at my 32 week. Curiosity may get the better of me though even if the checks don't actually indicate if labor is near. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• @mrsc918 Agree with all the ladies! And @Malidocious my OB doesn't do a growth scan unless there is a reason. I only had one because I had only gained 5 pounds, so they were worried the baby wasn't big enough or something was up. Baby was fine! Also growth scan's sound great, but they give you a laughably inaccurate measurement and you can't even really see the baby's features because they are so scrunched in there. I also think she was probably trying to reassure you re: the contractions. I tend to be on her side with this, because sporadic ones aren't regular... so if you are having them once or twice a day every day but that's it, that's not really "Regular." All of that said, I SO feel you on feeling rushed in the OB and sort of hurried along. I think if I could do my births all over again, I'd go to hospital midwives. I like being in a hospital, but philosophically align more with midwives. You might consider that the next go around (if that happens!). 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• puppylove8910puppylove8910 member
    edited January 2020
    @chichiphin Cervical checks didn't predict anything with my DS. At 38+5 I had zero dilation and no effacement. The OB was pretty sure she was going to see me in her office the following week. Well, 39+2 my water broke at home and by the time I got to the hospital I was 3cm dilated, 80% effaced. I'll probably pass on the checks this time around unless I start contracting frequently. 
    **TW**

• @chichiphin my midwives offer optional cervical checks once we are down to weekly appointments - you can decline them if you want.  I've heard of people that are a few cm dilated for weeks and others who aren't at all like @puppylove8910 then go into labor.  Unless there is a reason the midwives think it is necessary to check for me, I pass on them.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • I was dilated to 3cm for three full weeks before finally getting induced On my due date last time. I was also in prodromal labor so that isn’t surprising. It’s already starting with this one so I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m starting to dilate. I can definitely feel a lot of pressure on my cervix. 

I’m in the last leg of my three hour Glucose test! Woohoo! I’m super lightheaded and starving, but I didn’t throw up this time so hallelujah. They let me go in a different room with recliners so I think that helped. I also ate my weight in spaghetti last night because my midwife told me to carb load. Lol
  • Thanks ladies! I feel much better about not having growth scans now! But no @varimama I def don’t trust most doctors. I work in a hospital, so I see a lot of things that make me question how reliable doctors actually are lol 

And yeah, I’m not worried about my contractions at all. Just frustrated that she would say to “not worry about contractions unless they are 5 minutes apart” when I’m only 31 weeks and I’m actually suppose to go into L&D ASAP if they become regular to make sure it’s not preterm labor lol 
  • @miss.sally Yay!!! Glad to hear your glucose test is going much smoother this time around!! 

@EmilyLove25 Yes I def have been wishing I looked into midwives more! Bc if I don’t even trust doctors, why wouldn’t I have bothered looking into midwife instead? Lol maybe next time. If I have another lolol
  • mrsc918 said:
    Thanks ladies! I feel much better about not having growth scans now! But no @varimama I def don’t trust most doctors. I work in a hospital, so I see a lot of things that make me question how reliable doctors actually are lol 

I struggle with trusting doctors too. My mom is an RN and I've personally witnessed enough negligence and oversight to make me skeptical. I certainly don't think that most people in the medical profession have ill intentions, but there are definitely holes in the medical system. I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2nd opinion if your gut is telling you to! I think its up to us to be as informed as possible and advocate for ourselves. If I hadn't essentially forced my OB to check me for cervical scar tissue before my last delivery, I could've very well ended up with an unnecessary csection. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20