May 2020 Moms

Re: Randoms (1/13-1/19)

• @shamrocandroll Yay to feeling sore but good!
  • Loading the player...
  • @shamrocandroll I keep telling myself I need to get one! 
  • My aunt came over and helped me handle lunches, nap time, and getting the rest of Christmas put away today. That was awesome. The amount of child tantrums as my 16 month old skips naps, doesn't have words to ask for specific foods and gets mad that I can't just hold carry her around and walk all day-totally unreal.Having a boundary testing 3.5 year old trying to play with her on those days-painful.

The help was great. Now I'm just not sure how to make it through two more days until my husband is home.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are waiting for the game tonight, depending on who wins DF might end up getting slapped he is already starting with me lol. 
  • I just made my bougie-est baby purchase yet. A stokke tripp trapp chair. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07  after a lot of consideration we bought a Tripp trapp a couple months ago when our old high chair broke. I’m obsessed. You will love it!
  • One of my friends is sending me her Lillebaby carrier @catem07 so I am right with you on that one! It is a strange feeling, also now I am off to look at this high chair lol
  • Anyone else scheduling newborn photography? We just booked a photographer and I'm so excited! 
  • @randic22 My friend is a photographer so I'm going to ask her to do the newborn photos for me. She's doing my maternity photos too. I'm pretty excited too! 
  • @jess09lynn @randic22 Thank you for the reminder to start a Pinterest board for newborn photos ideas 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @randic22 the lady who did DD’s newborn photos is a friend of my dad’s wife and did an amazing job, so I want to have her do them for this baby!
  • @randic22 I do photography myself, so I am not scheduling a newborn shoot. I had planned to do a cute shoot with DD, but our first week together was really really hard. I managed to get a couple photos, but they are not what I wanted. I will try to get some this time around, but I am anticipating similar difficulties that first week, so we will see.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• We are doing newborn pictures again this time, and I've already started buying a few outfits/bows since I was under prepared last time.  I was in a similar situation as @m6agua that the first week or two were really really rough for me, and I was so not ready for pics in any way.  Thankfully our photographer is actually an old friend from HS and was a new mom herself.  She came to our house, set everything up, talked about breastfeeding and how hard it is etc and I felt comfortable leaving her with my daughter when I pumped in the other room for 20 minutes and the pictures turned out pretty cute for what we were working with so I'm glad we did it.  I need to start finding some cute photo ideas for sibling pictures though I usually just let the photographer do her thing and she always has cute ideas.
  • @randic22 I might change it up this time and do a fresh48 in the hospital when the boys meet their baby sister, and then an in home casual photo session a few weeks later once we are all a little more put together. 
  • @jhysmath That is the BEST news and I'm SO glad you sought a second opinion on this!  <3  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @jhysmath That is such great news! I can't believe you OB was going to have you terminate. It's scary to wonder how often that happens. I'm so glad you saw the MFM!l and I hope you're starting to enjoy your pregnancy! 
  • Also @shamrocandroll not sure which MFM is your friend, but Dr. Baker and Dr. Russell are my favorite people. 
  • pirateduckpirateduck member
    edited January 2020
    I did, briefly, get to talk to my sister about a baby shower over the weekend.  I think the plan is that it will happen in the town I live in at some point and sister, mom, and SIL will plan.  Whoever can make it can make it, whoever can't, can't.  I know there's really no way to make it convenient for everyone.  Apparently my SIL is already freaking out about it, but she freaks out about everything, this is not really news.  I say let her go to town and plan it and have fun with it if that's what she wants, she just isn't going to like that it's near my house and not hers, but seriously, there is not a single friend or family member that lives near her, period, so it doesn't make any sense.  Also, even though my SIL causes me stress, she is probably the best person to help throw a shower because she is really into that sort of thing and enjoys it and has had kids recently and been to showers recently and will have some clue of what to do to make it memorable.  I do have to talk with hubby to see if he wants to invite his guy friends too or if he wants no part of it and wants it to be ladies only.  After all,it's his time to celebrate too.

STMs did your husbands have any special baby celebration, with or without you, with their guy friends?  Some sort of party in his final days of living child free, like a bachelor party, or a co-ed shower or what?  Just wondering what other men seem to want or be interested in.  I don't want my hubby to miss out on anything but I don't want him to be forced into anything he could do without either.
  • @pirateduck My shower was all females. My husband didn't care to be involved in it and did no other type of celebration. I have a friend who's husband came at the end of the shower (all women) to join in the gift opening and then help haul everything to the cars and clean up.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @pirateduck I asked MH if he wanted to do a co-ed shower and he said no. His thought is that he won't be interested in any of the activities (if any) and doesn't like the idea of opening gifts with people watching (if I even do that). I told him we could do it like more of a casual get together, have it a brewery or something but no interest. I figure that's fine, just keeping the guest list down without the guys!
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Thanks!  I'm pretty sure at some point in the past my husband wanted no part of it, but if I suggested some sort of alternative celebration (I don't care if it's super traditional or not) I'm wondering if he might be on board.  So I'm trying to brainstorm a little before bringing it up to him again.
  • @pirateduck, I would ask him again now that the plans are underway.

In our case, we had a baby shower with just ladies (grandmas, sisters, Nieces, aunts, close girlfriends  etc) that my sister and best friend threw. My DH showed up at the end to thank everyone.

Then one of our friends threw us a more low-key, party type baby shower, where they added drinking games (not for preggo) and DH enjoyed it. It was more of a get together and people brought baby gifts (but that wasn’t the point of it).

I have seen guy friends take out the dad to be for drinks or do a diaper and beer type of get together for the boys separately if there isn’t a co-Ed opportunity. 

The dad should also get to celebrate, if he wants to.
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @pirateduck During my local baby sprinkle with friends (my bigger family one was 3 hours away), the husbands all got together and drank beer, had a bonfire, and watched football on a TV that MH moved outside.  Anytime we've been invited to a "Jack and Jill" shower of any kind, MH has told me he'd rather break his ankle and spend 3 hours in the ER instead.  :lol:  To be honest, that's kind of how I feel about showers too, but I don't get much of a choice in the matter.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @mokay19 I like this direction...  hmm...  Same day, same invites/guest list, but men and women part ways and do their own thing, whether it's a different place or just a different room in the house or something.
  • @shamrocandroll the only baby celebration I have been to where there were men involved was one with co-workers at the office, so anyone who worked with the person was welcome to attend and see off the mama, who would not be returning to work here after the baby.
  • @pirateduck my H opted to stay for my baby shower and was the only guy there, but he totally didn't care. We've been together for 16 years, and everyone important enough to us to be at the shower were his friends and family just as much as mine. He had a good time catching up with people we hadn't seen in a while.
  • @shamrocandroll I just LOLed at your work shower. I’m an engineer, too, so I work with all men that are mostly over 55 and I can’t imagine them attempting to throw a shower 😂 realistically, if they did, they would use it as an excuse to have a potluck because my 68 year old coworker LOVES to smoke meat to share haha I don’t complain about the food but it would be so awkward if they tried to actually do a shower. 
  • @pirateduck I had 4 "showers" One at my school which was really just the end of the staff meeting with a couple presents and some GD safe food. MH had one at his school I got called to his school to attend, but I had detention duty or something and didn't make it there until afterwards so really that was for him (and the other two father's at his school who were having babies around the same time).

Then we had a shower at his home town with his family and friend and I made sure that this was co-ed because I didn't want to go to it and I hate opening presents in front of people especially random people I don't know (MIL invited people from her church that neither MH or I even knew, she also invited random people like this the summer before when she threw me a bridal shower so I knew what to expect). With none of my family or friends at it I wasn't going alone and I know if it was just females then MH would refuse to go. MIL had it at a restaurant and we had Pizza and Wings and everyone had beer or soda, it worked out pretty well even if at one point his nearly blind great aunt told me and his cousin how our baby would be beautiful just like the two of us. 

My family also threw me a shower and that was just females (and my brother and his boyfriend because they really wanted to come) and MH didn't attend because during that school break he had to go back to our house near his family to get some work done on it with his brother. 
  • We had 2 baby showers with DS and MH was involved in all of them - however none of them were "traditional" type baby showers. We had one that my MIL put together and it was just a big Mexican cook out with tons of family - just a big party - no baby shower games or anything like that. My SIL and Mom put together one that was a little more traditional but still co-ed - they were both super laid back, fun, and stress free!
  • @shamrocandroll oh my gosh that kills me. what a nice sentiment from your boss, but male engineers are the last people on the planet that are going to make that a non-awkward comfortable setting. They're awkward enough when you just tell them you're pregnant, let alone celebrate it. 
  • @shamrocandroll 😂😂😂 That is the best mental picture! Poor awkward men.