May 2020 Moms

January Symptoms

Re: January Symptoms

• @randic22 yes! I also agree it is RLP, which is a PITA. 

I am already sick of BH, nothing to be worried about but annoying AF to feel it already. Also I want to be regular with pooping again so badly.
  • @mamaj1220 Oh, what I wouldn't give to poop like I did pre-pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oooo to poop normal...  even if I get a good one it’s at a bad time, can’t win!
  • I think I felt the first kick (from touching my stomach)! It was quick and unexpected so I’m not exactly sure, but what else would make my stomach feel like it’s poking my hand? 
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • I had such a scary blood sugar crash tonight and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before. I was on the train commuting home (so no chance to get a candy bar or juice or anything) and started sweating and shaking and feeling faint and dizzy. My commute is an hour and a half on the train so there was nothing I could do about it for quite a while. As soon as I got home I ate a bunch of trail mix and orange juice and MH had dinner ready within 30 minutes... I would say I felt totally better after about an hour. 

Anyway this probably means I have gestational diabetes, doesn't it :(
  • @allie456 Not necessarily, especially with twins. Make sure you're getting the amount of protein you should be eating and complex carbs/fruits/veggies. It will help your blood sugar a lot. I aim for 100g of protein day, and that's not as high as I should be.

Read the book by Dr. Barbara Luke if you haven't already. She has some great info on nutrition and multiples, and even says you should have dairy before bed to keep your blood sugar as level as possible.
  • @allie456 I’ve had those feelings multiple times in the past. Usually when my body needed food because I went too long without eating. When I was pregnant last time I would get similar feelings when my blood sugar was too high, I had GD last time. When are they giving you the glucose test?
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @allie456 I’ve never had GD, but I’m naturally petite and need to eat frequently during pregnancy because I don’t put on weight easily. That happened a lot during my first pregnancy. I’ve really struggled weight wise this time so my OB had me start protein drinks. It seems to keep all of that at bay better than the small snacks did. 
  • @drkoyya MH started feeling kicks last week. I was able to catch her kicking on camera last night. 24/25 weeks is about normal for that to start happening. 
  • @allie456 I would assume more with twins, but I have no idea. I know at my anatomy scan at 21 weeks I had put on 6lbs and my OB said she’d expect 10lbs at that point. She mentioned that protein was key, so bulking up on carbs and calories wasn’t the real issue. 
  • @allie456 That sounds like a low blood sugar crash, and in my experience it's not usually linked to GD, usually. I'm not an expert, but my midwife recommends having gained more than 10 lbs by now for a singleton, when possible. I understand it being hard to get to much food in at once-smaller frequent meals, or especially high protein snacks like others mentioned will help keep you together, but I totally recommend keeping something sugary in your bag as a "rescue drug." I tend to low blood sugar even when not pregnant, and try to not go too long without food, but have juice or even sugary candy around if I oops! Super sugary stuff doesn't work well for preventing these attacks, but if you're already in one, they can help pull you out in seconds or only a minute or two, rather than a protein snack when you're already low sugar, which can take 15-30 min to help, due to the way it's digested.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ruby696ruby696 member
    edited January 2020
    @allie456 you should shoot for 20-25 lbs by 24 weeks. And I *believe* you should be up at least another 10 lbs by 28 weeks because eating gets really hard in 3rd tri. I'm supposed to gain between 47-55 lbs in total. The more you gain, the longer the babies stay put. So try to eat lots of healthy fats, protein, and dairy, even though it's hard. And make sure you don't skip breakfast. I usually do an egg on a sprouted wheat English muffin (Ezekiel brand because it's a complete protein) with a piece of Canadian bacon. It's hard to force myself to make it (and eat it), but it needs to be done. You might also want to start drinking a protein shake. 

*Obviously the weight guideline changes if you were overweight or underweight pre-pregnancy. Order the Dr. Luke book, it lays it all out for you.

Eta: fix autocorrect 
  • @mamaj1220 I got my first BH this week and forgot how uncomfortable it is also didn't think I got those until the very end last time. I'm only 20 weeks. 

@drkoyya I felt my first outside kick the other night and was quite shocked by it because I couldn't even feel DD internally because of my anterior placenta last time until 26 weeks. I'm hoping it will start happening more regularly and I can get MH to bond more with baby before it's born this time. 

For all those with nipple pain, I feel you too. DD still BFs 3 times a day and I'm working really hard at avoiding her in the morning so she forgets to do that one, and after we get home from work. Yesterday she was very adamant that I go nurse her so I gave in. I also can't give up bedtime or naptime because it's the easiest way to get her to sleep, but it's soooo not comfortable, I feel like I'm nursing a newborn again. 

My constant hip pain has gone away so there's a little relief in that, my favorite symptom now is that I can feel baby kicking most of the time and if I can't I can drink something cold and sugary to get it to start. I love the relief of knowing I can feel it so I'm not busting out the doppler all the time. I'm also dealing with trying to hide the now very prominent belly from my students as we try to tell our colleagues first and really don't need to have the kids know until later anyhow. I'll probably last a week more before I tell my second semester students that I will not be finishing the year with them and that they will have a sub for the last few weeks of the year. 
  • I also am feeling a lot of movement but haven't even tried to have anyone feel it from the outside yet.  I'm hopeful hubby can feel it soon.  Perhaps we'll try tonight before he heads out of town.  I agree that cold and sugary gets the baby moving.  Anytime I have a soda or a smoothie the baby seems to react right away!  More than just eating a hot lunch or drinking water.

Those wondering about timing of the glucose test, my doctor's office aims to do the first test between 26 and 29 weeks, unless they have reason to do one sooner.  I imagine this is a standard sort of timeline for that test.
  • Possible TMI WARNING! 

Before being pregnant my bowel movements were really irregular. I feel like I would go once or maybe twice a week if lucky and generally felt like I was constipated. I actually think I have gone more this pregnancy than normal especially in the last two weeks. I am not sure if it is what I am eating or pregnancy related but the last 2 weeks I feel like I have gone nearly everyday and they are very greasy/wet? It isn't quite to what I could call diarrhea and they're still pretty solid but they aren't pleasant. I guess it is good that stuff is coming out. I am not sure if this is how it works but I am speculating that the baby is taking up so much space my body is like "awww man no more time to hoard shit like we used to..". 
  • @doctorcrime Hmm greasy bowel movements can be a sign of gallbladder issues. Are your stools also light colored, like tan/clay? Either way, I would let your OB know in case they want you to bring a sample. I know that sounds gross but if you have a friend in the healthcare industry, you could ask them to get you a “hat” to help with collection, if you are asked for a sample.
  • I have this sharp pain right under my left boob on my rib cage. It makes taking a deep breath challenging. It started at work, but I don’t think I stretched for anything high today. Thoughts?
  • @babyfoxden10 Any relief at all if you put your arms over your head, or gently press on it? Any better if you do either thing with a gentle backbend?

If those all make it feel better, it's worth bringing up to provider, but is likely a baby positioning nerve issue. I have a super short torso and have that most of the time from about 24 weeks on. On a good day, baby moves a bit away from nerves and it isn't constant. It is worse when baby's head is shoved right there. At least for me.

There are obviously other explanations too, but those two things were what my midwife has me check for to see if it might be pressure/position based.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail I’m petite as well so I’m thinking it could be my muscles trying to expand or make room. Never thought about baby hanging out on a nerve certainly a possibility. 
  • @babyfoxden10 I was going to say that maybe it is the baby. DD was breech until 32 weeks last time and her head would always hit my right rib cage. I am also short (5'1") and have a shorter torso. My other thought was gallbladder, but since you said left side that rules that out.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @babyfoxden10 approximately your bottom 3 ribs on the left is where your stomach is situated.  So it could certainly be stomach/food/digestion related.
  • @pirateduck I was trying to google how anatomy moves during pregnancy to figure out what is over there now lol. There’s definitely some shifting going on in there this week. Bending over like to tie students’ shoes is officially out as of this week unless they bring the shoe up to me

@m6agua I thought gallbladder too until I realized it was the wrong side

Heading to my first prenatal yoga class now maybe I’ll stretch out whatever is going on in there!
  • I feel sooo tired and lethargic lately, and boy am I grouchy. If I have to bend over to pick something up for any reason it makes me feel actually angry. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • +1 for avoiding bending over at all costs.  It's even a struggle trying to dress my 2 year old half the time because you have to do so many acrobatics to reach her while she's squirming.  I try to delegate it to MH as much as possible while I do other things that don't require bending.
  • I made my 1.5 year old bring her diaper downstairs to throw away before I put her to bed last night because I couldn't muster the energy to climb the stairs again, nor did I want to get up from the floor before putting her to bed. 
  • @mamaj1220 I remember you saying your mood may improve after the CF Championship game. Did the game help or just make your mood worse? 😬
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • I've had an uptick in watery discharge today, so I'm off to be evaluated. I feel like a massive hypochondriac but I also know if something was wrong I'd be kicking myself for not going. Bah.
  • @louessbee With twins, I say go for everything. Your doctor wants to see you if you have concerns or changes in your condition. Don't feel bad!
  • @ruby696 Thanks :) I think I'm better off feeling foolish and having nothing be wrong than the alternatives.
  • @drkoyya I just laughed so hard at that! And yes it improved for about an hour and then I realized I had stayed up way too late to watch it and became a grumpy asshole again, I think for me it is because this kid HATES soda (not a bad thing but that is my caffeine so I think the withdraw is part of the issue). 
  • @louessbee I think it is always better to get checked to be sure! Let us know how it goes!
  • so here's a kind of random question. 

My doctor suggested I get a home blood pressure monitor because I'm old and have IVF twins and both of those things increase my risk for preeclampsia. I got whatever the bestseller wrist one was on Amazon. I just started using it (never having had a blood pressure issue in the doctor's office) and am getting the craziest results! If I take it right after I wake up the numbers are super low, like 75/45. If I take it after I shower and have been moving around a bit I'm getting wacky things -- this morning was 191/61 or something.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, they're unreliable, the timing is off/the shower is messing it up, or what. Anyone have any insight? Fwiw I feel fine.
  • @allie456 I would ask your doctor for guidance.  It is normal for it to be lower when you first wake up in the morning because you were in a state of rest and higher when you are more active.  You will learn over time what numbers are normal for you.  Also perhaps taking it the same time every day (if you have a regular routine) might help you see trends better.  Your doctor might know if it matters if it’s before or after a meal or activity or if you should sit for awhile first.
  • @allie456 I agree with @pirateduck also some blood pressure cuffs need to be calibrated. You could check its accuracy by going to a pharmacy or grocery store that have the free blood pressure booths if you didnt want to wait for your OB.
  • @allie456 in my experience wrist cuffs are not very reliable. Automatic arm ones are better, but still won't be quite as accurate as doing it manually. I've never got a reading with a wrist one that I felt was accurate. But also follow @drkoyya's advice whatever you use. 
  • My dry cough/nasal drip is back again. It’s better with my humidifier at night but still uncomfortable. I miss NyQuil and Advil on days like these. 

Also the shortness of breath when laying down is not enjoyable.