April 2020 Moms

BTDT - Questions for STM+s/Advice to FTMs

Re: BTDT - Questions for STM+s/Advice to FTMs

• @emsned I'm wondering the same thing!  My second labor wasn't as fast as yours but but it was significantly faster than with my first and I'm panicked I won't make it to the hospital.  
  • Any moms get induced the first time and not the 2nd time? 2nd time around, was it clear to you when it was time to head to the hospital? Since I was induced with my first and had an epidural very early(so really didn't feel much), I'm worried that I'll question when to go in.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @emsned for my first I was in labor for 52 hours (from losing mucus plug/contractions starting to her arrival) and ended up with an emergency CS (I was stuck at 8/9cm for 12 hours). With my second it was 16 hours and I pushed for 20 mins, but ***TW*** he was stillborn and so I was induced as we knew he had passed away...the 16 hours was from the time induction started at straight zero started until he arrived. ***End TW***

This time I am having a scheduled CS and my OB is taking me early, she does not want me to go into labor on my own for a number of reasons. The main being it will probably go real quick.
  • @kathryn0903 I think we should have gone in sooner with both LOs.  I was so afraid of going and getting sent back home!  With this LO I think I'm going to call the doctor as soon as I start to feel anything.  
  • I know that full term starts at 37 weeks, but I've heard so many stories of babies coming earlier. When realistically should I have a basic hospital bag ready to go? I feel like 37 weeks is risking it
  • @korthouse I plan to have one ready around 32 weeks. I delivered at 37 weeks, but had a scary day at 32 weeks last time when I got sent to the hospital for extra monitoring.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @doraleigh35 sorry to hear you had to go through that with your second. It also sounds like your dr is acknowledging that labor is expected to happen quicker because of your progression since your first labor. 

It blows my mind how incredibly different every single birth can be. They’re all like the babies themselves, none are exactly the same. 
  • @emsned thank you. I totally agree every birth is different and you're right my doctor thinks it will be quick given the progression. My best friend is currently pregnant with #2 and is terrified she won't make it anywhere, her first came at rapid speed. Have you brought up your concerns to your OB or Midwife?
  • @doraleigh35  I actually have not because I’m in the middle of moving from Nova Scotia to Montana and I will have to find a new obgyn next month. I will make sure to tell them about my worries though. Thank you! 
  • I have quite a few questions for STM+ - I think about this stuff while I’m not sleeping (thanks insomnia):

1) What is absolutely necessary for a hospital bag and what is a waste?

2) How far in advance should you do a hospital tour/preregister at the hospital?

3) How many visitors did you have/allow at the hospital?

4) How do you know when it’s time to head to the hospital?

5) Are you supposed to bring snacks/food for the hospital staff? One friend told me if you don’t they don’t treat you as well...

6) What are the first few days at home like?

Yup, these are the things I’ve been thinking about while not sleeping.
  • @literatureandink I'll answer as best as I can.
    1) For hospital bag, I would suggest an outfit for baby. For you any toiletries would be good. Hospital provided that stuff, but I liked having my own stuff. Phone cords, a kindle or tablet because labor can take awhile. For DH, have him pack snacks or money for vending machines. There was a lot I packed that I didn't need.
    2) I would do a hospital tour late 2nd tri/early 3rd trimester as well as register then, too. I had a few hour hospital stay at 32 weeks and it helped being preregistered already.
    3) I had several visitors, but didn't announce anything till DS was born. My only request was that everyone ask before coming.
    4) can't answer since I was induced due to bp
    5) i didn't bring snacks/food for thdm and they treated me just fine
    6) first few days are hard, but you'll learn to adjust. Also don't be afraid to ask for help!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @literatureandink

1. Comfy pj's, toiletries, snacks.

2. I did mine in early 3rd tri. 

3. We have no family nearby so no visitors. It was awesome. My sister had family waiting impatiently in the hospital with her first (and making drama with each other) so they switched to announcing after the birth and having people ask to visit.

My hospital doesn't have a limit on visitors but the nurses said they would happily help kick people out if new parents needed that.

4. I used a contraction timer app, and I also just kinda knew when it was time. 

5. I can't imagine nurses doing that. Don't go to whatever hospital your friend did! We brought nothing and had great treatment.

6. It was hard adjusting to having a newborn while also physically recovering, but I was also so happy he was here and in love with him. It was an emotional roller coaster for sure.
  • 1) What is absolutely necessary for a hospital bag and what is a waste? 
    Bring anything that will make you and DH comfortable.  Snacks!  We didn't bring any for the first two kids and this time we're packing some.  Two outfits for the baby, one newborn, one 0-3.  Comfy clothes that you don't mind visitors seeing you in.  I don't feel like we needed anything else.

2) How far in advance should you do a hospital tour/preregister at the hospital?
    I think they had us preregister early 3rd trimester.  I would say early 3rd for hospital tour.       

DD2 we had 11 visitors total.  Honestly I would prefer zero.  You're exhausted and physically spent, hormonal and emotional.  The last thing I wanted to do was be "on" for visitors.  

Even after two LOs I'm not completely sure haha.  I think I waited too long to go for both.  I was scared of being sent home.  I think a good indicator that my OBs office says is if you can't talk through a contraction its time.  

5) Are you supposed to bring snacks/food for the hospital staff? One friend told me if you don’t they don’t treat you as well...
    I've never brought treats.  It's a nice idea but the last thing on my mind at the end of a pregnancy when I'm in panic mode about trying to get ready for baby.  

Exhausting, emotional, a ton of trial and error.  Prepare yourself that you're going to be a mess and that's okay.  
  • 1) What is absolutely necessary for a hospital bag and what is a waste?  
    Toiletries. I took my own shampoo, my toothbrush, hairbrush, and hair ties. They were all good to have. Phone chargers. Pajamas or other comfy clothes. A few outfits for baby. This time I’m making sure to pack formula. Depending on the hospital, they may or may not offer formula if you decide you want or need it. 

I took the hospital tour in early 3rd tri. Seemed like the right time. My OB told me when it was time to pre-register. I did have a bit of an issue with it, though, because it didn’t give me the option to list different insurance for me and baby. I was never given a good chance to correct that (DS is on DH’s insurance), so I had to sort it out after he came home and the bills started coming in. 

Just family, but it was too much (or, more accurately, they were there too much of the time). My mom basically refused to leave. We didn’t tell anyone when we started pushing early in the morning and told staff not to let any visitors back, so that caused drama, which was stupid really. I probably wouldn’t tell anyone that I was going to the hospital at all this time if I could get away with it. But, someone has to watch DS, so we’re kind of stuck.

I didn’t. I went in on a Wed because I felt like I was leaking, which they said to watch for at my birthing class. Got sent home, but I was having regular contractions at that point. I went back Saturday night after several hours of obvious contractions every 3 minutes. They wanted to send me back. I guess the contractions weren’t string enough, but baby’s heart rate was decelerating with each contraction, so I was admitted and induced. His fluid levels were super low, which makes me think I was right the first time when I said I thought I was leaking and they told me I was wrong. 

I didn’t bring anything. Seems like just another thing to try to remember and it seems crazy for the staff to expect if from everyone. That said, I did have some rude nurses, so maybe that would have helped. 

It was hard, but amazing. I know people who really struggled with the so called 4th trimester. I found it easier than 3rd tri, but probably just because I was so happy to have the baby at home that I forced myself to accept the exhaustion and stress. The big secret is to accept that you are going to do things wrong. You’ll figure it out at some point and babies are resilient. As a parent, you just strive to do the best you can. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • (I’ll answer these from a nurse perspective .. not a mom because FTM here!)

1) What is absolutely necessary for a hospital bag and what is a waste? 

-toiletries 
    -comfy clothes, a robe, flip flops to walk around in
    -your own pillow (if you want- the hospital ones are plasticy) 
    -newborn sized sleepers (unless you know you’re likely having a very large or small baby- but the newborn size fits the majority I find and I think sleepers are the best vs onesies) and bring more than just one going home outfit! 
    -baby blankets for going home 
    -car seat 
    -water bottle 
    -snacks (our floor has a small kitchen with a fridge you can use and also provides snacks in there so not necessary if your hospital does this) 
    -phone chargers, maybe a laptop to watch movies on 
    -I will likely bring a heating pad for labour 

This would definitely be something to ask when you go tour the hospital (what to bring / what they provide) because obviously it will be different everywhere. Our hospital provides pads, mesh underwear, diapers, wipes, baby blankets, baby sleepers (to borrow if necessary- but they aren’t always in the best shape due to the hospital laundry), formula & bottles, nipple ointment, all post partum pain meds, a pump to use (only if deemed necessary). Honestly we get people that come with nothing (usually due to being an emergency) and we have everything they need. The extras are just for your own comfort. 

Our hospital doesn’t do a pre registry so I don’t know. 

My advice as a nurse would be to not tell anyone when you’re in labour. Then let people know only once you have rested and are up for visitors. Maybe you won’t want visitors at all! 

Times when you should always go to the hospital asap - decreased fetal movement, your water breaks (if you’re not sure put a pad on and walk around for a bit to see if there is any more fluid), bright red bleeding, serious abdominal pain. 

For labour- depending how far away you are from the hospital a general rule is the 5-1-1. Contractions Atleast every 5 minutes, lasting for a minute, regularly for an hour. Obviously take into consideration how painful they are. If you can continue to walk & talk through them... probably not active labour yet. People can be in and out of early labour for days... sometimes weeks. 

Personally I will stay home for as long as I can physically manage. I don’t want unnecessary interventions and that tends to happen when people get admitted too early. I live very close to the hospital though. 

Obviously if you’re concerned just go in. 

LOL ! We do get snacks and treats fairly often .. but it’s usually upon discharge or people come back and bring us a card/ birth announcement! Obviously it’s very appreciated but not expected at all!! Even just a heartfelt card is so appreciated (if you feel like it was deserved!) 

I assume exhausting and emotional!! 🤣 People tell me the first month is the hardest. (Another reason to limit visitors in the hospital & get as much rest / help from the nurses as possible!!) 
  • Anyone have advice on how to handle out of town in laws? DH is an only child and this is the first grandchild for his side. Him and I have had a few conversations about not wanting to tell either of our parents when I go into labor, but telling them about the birth right after. 
    He mentioned that his parents have said to him a few times how they want to come into town when I go into labor and stay for a couple weeks to help. While I completely understand where they are coming from and how they excited they are, this gives me major anxiety. I am very nervous about how I will feel after the birth and am insecure about coming home with a newborn for the first time to in laws in my house. I know they only want to help and are excited to welcome their grandchild but they will be offended if we say to them they aren't going to know when I go into labor and we might not want visitors for a few days.

Any advice?
  • @katiemcoulter5271 I totally get where you are coming from! I was worried about the same thing. My MIL will actually be out of the country around baby’s due date... so he will likely be close to a month old by the time she comes out to visit. I’m definitely someone who likes my personal space and to feel comfortable at home without people staying with us. A few weeks seems like a long time to me! Also some visitors are very helpful with things like cooking, cleaning, laundry .. and some basically create more work. 

I’m wondering what everyone would recommend for how many newborn sleepers/ outfits to have? Around here we have baby showers after baby is born so I’m not anticipating to receive much newborn clothes as gifts. I have quite a bit of 0-3 already but I know from work those rarely fit newborns. I don’t want to do laundry more than twice a week! 

Also any advice with how to organize baby clothes? I’ve already been given a few boxes of hand me downs and I’m not sure how to organize them. It’s overwhelming. I’ve put the 6 month ish + sizes in a box together that I will pull out when needed. Also anyone ever strip used clothes? Some of them are pretty strongly scented with detergent / softener/ baby diapers lol I prefer more natural & unscented products. I already washed them once but they still smell. 
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited January 2020
    @katiemcoulter5271 I would have a frank conversation, but probably with your H first about your feelings. Coming home with a baby is a very stressful time. I don’t think I’d be comfortable having houseguests. Suggest that they come a little later, a few weeks after birth or that they get a hotel if It’s really important to your H that they be there when the baby is born. Our family is mostly local. I got tired of people coming over and no one stayed here. Planning to be more strict about visiting times this time. 

@kath1414 We definitely had to buy more newborn sleepers and swaddles. We only had a 2 or 3 at first. Most people bought 0-3 months or bigger. DS was in newborn size for about a month. We probably had 6-8 sleepers and a similar number of swaddles during that time, but I did laundry pretty frequently, so you might want more. I’d say 2-3 outfits per day. 1-2 swaddles per day. I organized clothes by size. When he was born, I had newborn on one side of the closet and 0-3 on the other. Everything bigger, I had in drawers or boxes by size. I did wash all of the clothes that were handed down, but that’s it. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 Thank you that’s helpful! What kind of swaddles did you use? I already have likely more than enough swaddle blankets and I’m very good at swaddling with blankets but DH will definitely not be so I want to have a collection of Velcro ones. 
  • I ordered my breast pump through Aeroflow, but my insurance doesn’t allow them to send it until after the baby has been born! Has anyone else had to do this and did the pump come in at a reasonable time? I’m afraid that I’m going to forget to let them know the baby has been born with everything else going on! Hopefully I can just breast feed and not have issues with latching! 
  • @kath1414 We used the SwaddleMe velcro ones. It is difficult to do a swaddle blanket on no sleep, so those were easier for me and DH. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @katiemcoulter5271 My in-laws have to fly, so we told them to book for two to three weeks after my due date, in case he came late. We also helped them book an Airbnb place, because I didn’t want people in our space (we have a small space). They were in town for about five days, and it was busy with them around, but at least DS was a couple weeks old by then. 

@kath1414 I’d try and have some extra hand me downs (try a mom swap group on FB), or buy some closer to your due date and leave the tags on in case you don’t need them. My little guy was a ‘happy spitter’ so we went through clothes like crazy. There was one time that we went through six sleepers before I got him dressed (!!!) because he kept spitting up
  • For those that had c sections, how was recovery? I heard you're only allowed on the stairs once a day or something and that just can't be right. And no lifting? It took me a long time to recover from my vaginal birth, but with placenta previa I might have to c section and I don't know what to expect. And do you have a scar? 
    Sorry. So many questions!
  • @babybison recovery wasn't terrible even after laboring to 9cm for a very long time. I think a scheduled section would be even better. Get up and walk as soon as you can, it made a big difference to me. My OB says no lifting over 15lbs for 6 weeks. Driving only once you are pain free, I was never told anything about stairs other than to go slow. I needed a pillow to hold if I had to sneeze/cough/laugh/poop. You'll want to take stool softeners for a bit. My scar was itchy and painful for awhile, but I used vitamin E, mederma and saw an Osteopath. Now it looks great, I am actually sad they have to cut into it. I do plan on getting an abdominal binder this time around.

I was just talking to @smallbutmighty77 about RCS in another thread, there are a few of us on here who have had sections so feel free to ask any questions!
  • @babybison ask for a belly binder- the hospital should have them, I have my own now that I like and put on literally the next morning. I got an $$$ one from belly bandit but since I was sitting so much in the NICU and holding the baby I wanted one that had more support and was comfortable for me. I also push them to get all the iv's and catheter out asap so I can get up and move quickly (kid in NICU = get me out of my room). I sorta ignored a lot of the don'ts bc of NICU stuff, but the no lifting I do remember, and driving. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Did you use newborn diapers at all or for long? DS was small(5lbs), so we definitely did, but wondering what those with larger babies did? DH seems to think we won't use newborn clothes or diapers....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 DS was pretty average sized (7 lbs 10 ounces). He was in newborn clothes for about a month. I feel like we couldn’t have skipped those. He was drowning in the 0-3 months. I think we used 2 boxes of newborn diapers. Probably could have just used size 1, though. That’s what they used in the hospital. We got newborn diapers at our shower, though, so we figured we should use them. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 I definitely have bought newborn clothes already because I figured I'd use them some, but that helps to know about the diapers.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @doraleigh35 and @smallbutmighty77  Thanks all for the c-section advice.  I’ll be getting some vitamin E, mederma and my own binder. I know belly bandit has a lot of their options on the FSA/HSA approved list. 

@Kathryn0903 thanks for asking that question! I just got some newborn clothes and DH was thinking they may fit into them for like a week!  @mercury94 thanks for the answer about clothes and diapers.  That helps me out a lot! 
  • @mandarenee898 With twins, you might need the newborn clothes longer. I know twins frequently come early. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • mandarenee898mandarenee898 member
    edited January 2020
    @mercury94 that’s a great point. DD was almost 8 lbs and typically even if twins make it to full term often they are more in the 5-6 lb range (so I’ve heard at least!). 

@doraleigh35 for the vitamin e did you use oil or cream? 
    @smallbutmighty77 did having the ab binder mean that you didn’t need the pillow for sneezing/laughing/bathroom etc?

ETA question on CS
  • @Kathryn0903 DD1 was 7lbs4oz, DD2 was 7lbs2oz and both were in newborn clothes and diapers for about a month.  Like @mercury94 said the 0-3 were waaaaay too big.  
  • @mandarenee898 I just bought capsules, poked them open and squeezed them onto my fingers. 

DD was 6lbs at 36w and she was in newborn for at least 2 mos. NICU actually had her in preemie clothes for the first week. 
  • babybisonbabybison member
    edited January 2020
    I think a lot of newborn clothes are sized for up to 7/8lbs, and DS was born/back to that weight by 2 weeks. That being said, he went through a LOT of clothes during that time, so it's also about how frequently you want to do laundry. 

You can always buy closer to the time or through a registry and leave the tags on in case you want to return them. 

ETA: Thanks for the CS advice! 
  • I see Target has a buy $100 of diapers/wipes and get a $30 gift card.  DH and I plan on going this week but don’t know what brand of newborn diapers are best.  I have Pampers Swaddlers in my head but I think that is because of all the advertisements.  For mama’s that have had newborns at home any suggestions of what the best diapers for brand new babies were?  

And I was just thinking the Target brand fragrance free wipes.  Wipes are wipes, right?
  • @mandarenee898 we were a pampers family. Went with pampers swaddlers and Pampers sensitive wipes from the start.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wasn’t sure if I should ask this in the regular questions topic or this one, but figured STMs have probably been through the glucose testing before.

I have my glucose testing tomorrow and it’s not until 3 in the afternoon. Has anyone ever had it this late in the day? I have heard that I shouldn’t eat a sugary, carby breakfast, but I’m assuming that’s if the test is in the morning. Should I eat less carbs for the rest of the day?
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited January 2020
    @mandarenee898 We think Pampers are the Cadillac of diapers lol.  But we use Target band...  

Edit to add we also use the Target brand sensitive skin wipes.  The purple package, I think they're the scent free.  
  • @babyrummom I had my first one with DD1 late in the day and my "average" eating throughout the day is what made me bomb the test.  I would say go low carb, high protein, no sugar until you get the test over with.  
  • Does anyone use Honest diapers? My cousin SWEARS by them but they're a little pricey overall so I'd like to hear someone say they also love them!