March 2020 Moms

The Great Postpartum Thread

Let’s talk about what happens after the baby comes out. Whether it’s moments after the baby is born or days or months our bodies go through a lot of changes! So much of the focus is on the new baby but let’s not forget that we need to give ourselves some attention too! So let’s talk about it, all of it, the good, the bad, and the UGLY! 

FTMs do you have any questions?
STMs+ what was your experience? Did anything surprise you?
Me: 33 | DH: 34
Married: October, 19, 2015
EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
EDD 11/24/23
(Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

Re: The Great Postpartum Thread

• Thanks @kailanae! Learning about what supplies I should have stocked up for after delivery at home for myself is super helpful - I need to get started on buying those things since I’m not putting any of that on my registry! Any feedback from those who had c-sections would be helpful too since you never know what’s going to happen! 

Can anyone tell me, what are those things you wear after delivery to keep your belly and all that stuff tight and intact in there versus letting it all hang? I need to get those and I think there’s a different kind for vaginal delivery and c-section delivery. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yikes. I realize a c-section is a major surgery, but recovery from that is actually starting to look a lot easier than vaginal lol 
  • @mrsc918 I haven’t had a c-section but know people who have. If you end up with an emergency c-section chances are you will still end up with a lot of these postpartum effects from the time spent in labor and also have to heal from major surgery. Even with scheduled a lot of these are things everyone experiences regardless! Ask anyone who’s had both vaginal and c-section and I’m pretty sure they’ll tell you vaginal was easier to heal from. 

Also I think what you were asking about above is called a binder. I didn’t have one first time and things mostly went back on their own. I was one of those lucky people where nursing took off all the baby weight and then some last time. It doesn’t always happen that way though. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I love this thread!! I've used a few from older BMB to build my amazon shopping list - so it is super helpful haha
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Sorry to be so long winded but also thinking how great it is to talk about these things and plan for postpartum because care of the mother can really drop off after birth!  It’s so weird to see your provider every week at the end of your pregnancy and then after going through the major event of giving birth, you often don’t see your provider until 6 weeks later. Thankfully some do a 2 week check in as well, but a lot happens between those weeks and there are a lot of questions and needs during that time. 
  • @MIssSally25 YES!!! I had ridiculous letdowns with sex every time (not even just with an O). Most of the time we would end up cracking up because even when I tried to be proactive and wear a bra with a nursing pad I would still be fire-hosing all over the place. Sooooo cute
  • @momoftoddlers totally agree. While you are going through it, it's almost like you don't even *really* notice that you're going through it. With the exception of complications (like PPD or some complex issue), mostly everything seems fine. It's not until life returns to "normal" that you realize how INSANE the postpartum period is! 
  • @EmilyLove25 my epidural with DS2 made me pass out as well!  Luckily the anesthesiologist was right there to adjust it down some so I was only out for a moment.

DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • @EmilyLove25 I so agree with you on the time stopping part!  

It’s like this magical time when nothing in the world matters. I even Turned off my phone and put it in a drawer for a few days because nothing in the world mattered to me except for what was under our roof. 

Looking forward to that bliss again! 🥰
  • @miss.sally I am also in the “didn’t lose weight while breastfeeding” camp. In fact, aside from the 8 pounds of baby and maybe 2-4 pounds of fluid and stuff, I didn’t lose any of the pregnancy weight until I stopped BFing. Even then, only a few pounds came off. I didn’t lose it all until last year, right before getting pregnant again. Lol
  • @mrsvp614 the shakes are very common with med free births as well! I totally forgot about this until you mentioned it. I had the shakes for quite a few hours after delivery. It was crazy! 
    Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• Even as a STM, reading through this information is incredibly helpful and something I know I'll refer back to while going through the post partum phase....again... Haha! 
    Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• momoftoddlersmomoftoddlers member
    edited January 2020
    Posted in wrong thread. Sorry!
  • @momoftoddlers EXCELLENT advice! I totally should have mentioned that. If you are breastfeeding, an app that tracks it (and which side) is invaluable. I use "Baby Nursing" and it works just fine! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• I tracked feeds and bowel movements on Google Sheets with a simple spreadsheet that I shared with DH too, for anyone who may not want to install another app for it. :)  Though I'm sure there are plenty of good apps for this purpose, DH and I like using Sheets for all sorts of different things we like to keep track of.  Plus it is neat that I can go back and see the trends for DS1 and DS2 without needing to worry about whether or not I still had the same app and that it still worked.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • stac4056stac4056 member
    edited January 2020
    A lot of great advice already mentioned and I would second almost all of it!! Most notably though, or if there's anything new I can contribute:
    • @miss.sally Between the PP sweating and boob leakage, I'm thinking of getting a Peapod mat for my bed that I will later use in nighttime potty training! And I was also going to come here to say whoever says breastfeeding melts the baby weight away really got my hopes up in a bad way. I was at least AS ravenous if not more while breastfeeding as I was pregnant. My stomach takes a while to go down, even going back to work still got congratulations, and when are you due comments. And both times it took me about 10-12 months for my hips to go back to pre-preg size, like you mentioned. So I have some in between sizes that get me through that first year.  
    • @mrsc918 My scheduled c-section recovery was WAY better than my personal vaginal (forceps, really) experience. The amount of vaginal bleeding after the surgery surprised me. I wasn't allowed to get up for 10 hours or so after the surgery while the spinal wore off completely, so when I was finally able to stand and walk to the restroom assisted by the nurse, blood hit the floor and I almost fainted, my blood pressure nosedived and scared the crap out of the nurse. My midsection felt a ton sloshier than from my vaginal experience, and the hospital provided a binder which I liked so much better than a BellyBandit I had purchased for my first PP that never even fit. The hospital version held me together but was way more flexible than the BellyBandit and I wore it for weeks PP. Second @uno_mas about staying ahead of the pain with the meds for the first week at least.
    • For pooping, I was prepared for the first one to be difficult which I had heard a lot about, but not prepared for the couple times I pooped myself after my vaginal birth due to taking Colace and having a 3rd degree tear. Maybe that was just me!!
    • @varimama I too had to have a larger pair of shoes brought to me to leave the hospital, so much swelling. 
    • Breastmilk can go on anything, I used it a lot in place of the salves on my nipples (just dab it around and let it dry on there), sprayed it on baby's face if they got a scratch, or in the corner of their eye if they get a clogged duct. 
    • My second was easy to please, so this may bite me in the rear, but read the baby above all else, the clock, the books, other people's advice. I look at the 2-3 hour feed as a minimum, but if my baby cries, the first thing I try is the boob, maybe just the comfort is all they would need at the time. However, when it comes time to relay the info to pediatrician, the tracking sheets would be helpful!!