Ask your questions here 
Me: 33 | DH: 34
Married: October, 19, 2015
EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
EDD 11/24/23
(Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

Re: January Questions

• Third time mom and this might have come up in the Product Spotlight series, but just for a quick answer: has anyone used a wireless pump? I was going to buy the Willow but my friend is adamant that the Elvie is better (and I get $175 off with my insurance on that one). Any tips or likes/dislikes? I'll still have my Medela as well, but OMG to be able to WALK AROUND PUMPING??!?!!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @EmilyLove25 I’m a FTM so I don’t have first hand experience, but after reading this article, I’ve decided to go with the Elvie, because it’s apparently quieter, more discreet and the containers are reusable, where as with the Willow you have to use their disposable bags which are expensive, and it also sounds more uncomfortable/harder to get the hang of than the Elvie.

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/strategist/amp/article/best-quiet-breast-pumps-elvie-freemie-willow.html
  • Loading the player...
  • @creativesoul63 Thank you so much for sharing. I am leaning toward the Elvie as well! I'll still need lots of bags for freezing in the beginning, but I wouldn't want to be tied down to their brand exclusively. Thank you for the article!
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25 and @creativesoul83 -- the Willow 2.0 has a reusable container now! It also has less parts than the Elvie to clean. I'm still on the fence too, but there are quite a few YouTube comparison videos out there that do a great job at showing them off in action. 
  • These are great threads! I don’t have any pump coverage through my work insurance (it’s not common in Canada) so i think I may pass. Also my boobs are just massive and I’m afraid I’ll invest in one and it won’t work.

any insight to counting movements and kicks? At 28 weeks I know now I should be noticing patterns but I’m not really noticing them, I feel she had more patterns before, strangely. And her kicks are smaller, I presume it’s because she got bigger and there’s less room? FTM so this is all new to me. I’m wondering when you would page in terms of changes, going to start keeping a tally on the weekend, but my job is so busy and I’m always on the move, in meetings, on my feet (especially since we have a bed bug/fleas/lice outbreak, I am not sitting down anywhere on the west side of our unit and sticking everything in the dryer ASAP when I get home in case! The LAST thing we need before baby are all of the above. But as a result my feet hurt and I’m tired lol). 
  • @dunder_mifflin I asked my NP last time about kick counts. She said their recommendation is just to take notice of baby moving and active times. If you have a moment where you’re like “shit I haven’t felt baby in several hours” then drink some ice water or cold juice and lay down on your left side. Baby should be kicking within an hour. (Sometimes I poke him too to speed it up but then I get what I call his grumpy kicks where he sends out one or two big ones then is still for a bit like he’s saying 5 more minutes mom!”) 
    EDD 11/24/23

• @dunder_mifflin I’m also 28 weeks and feel like her movements are smaller than before too. 

My doctor basically told me the same as @varimama, if you are having doubts about movement (like you haven’t felt anything all day) drink ice water and sit or lay down and make sure you feel 10 kicks in an hour. If you don’t, then call your doctor.
  • @varimama and @creativesoul83 that’s super helpful, thank you! I have noticed her movements are strong sometimes and faint more often but I’ll keep track the rest of the week by writing everything down. This is very different to when she was kicking hard and moving before 28 weeks with no patterns. Just felt like frequent movement and now it feels much less at 28 weeks? 

I feel like I always have concerns or questions one week before my appointments and I want to avoid paging or being an alarmist, lol. If my appointment was today vs. next Wednesday I would totally be fine. So thank you for the info, if I still feel worried I’ll page for sure :)
  • ditto @varimama @creativesoul83, @dunder_mifflin! My practice said they don't recommend kick counts because the baby will inevitably not follow the 10 kicks per hour rule and then I'll freak out about it, lol. They said same thing, if I haven't felt movement to drink something cold and sweet and then lay down for a bit. Even if the baby moves once or twice, it negates all the non-movement from earlier in the day. They also did say to call whenever I was worried though, so that was nice and helped me feel less like an anxious nagging mom-to-be. 

FWIW, I'm 31 weeks and noticed baby's movement patterns have changed a lot in the last month as opposed to all of the random movements from the previous few months. A lot of time, too, I don't feel slight movements unless my hand is on my belly. I feel like I can feel her breathing when my hand is on my belly, which is SO cool!
  • Tips on drinking enough water/day? And also is there a good calculator out there for how much you should try to drink/day based on weeks/trimester/weight/something? Like, one that isn't a baseline for every pregnant woman, since we're all so different, is what I'm looking for.

Tips on prepping dogs for baby's arrival? They have been allowed to sniff everything new that's come in to their delight already, and other than that all I've been doing is trying to explain to them in plain English that there's a baby growing in my belly lolol. They bark too much and Nova keeps stealing stuff that isn't hers and eating it when we're not home/when I'm sleeping (!!). These are continued patterns, and DH last night was like "you have to train them," and I was like, "um, how?" I think we might have to put Nova back in the crate while we're out of the house to retrain her to not steal our stuff, and use it as a punishment. We didn't use it as much as one when she was younger because we wanted her to feel safe in there, but I think now that she's almost 2 we can reintroduce it as a sort of place of punishment and I'm fine with that. I was hoping after we got back from our trip she'd be cured of her random stealing of things that aren't hers--esp. since they now have a million toys from xmas!--but no.
  • @kagesstarshroom do you take them on walks a lot? I've been told to walk the dogs with the stroller as practice before a baby is ever in it. We've been training our dogs to sit on a special bed in the corner of our living room while we eat because we were worried about food aggression one day with a high chair situation. So far it is working. My biggest concern tho is my one chihuahua is a licker - and LOVES licking little hands bc they're usually sticky from god knows what. He gets obsessive with it and gets mad when you pull him away from licking something. sooo that is the big issue here. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• @kagesstarshroom I haven’t come across any info on varying levels of water for different trimesters - it’s always just said 10 8 ounce cups in a day. So I bought a 40oz water bottle that I take everywhere with me, and a 16oz water bottle at work, so I make sure I finish at least 2 refills at work and one 40oz a day. Both of the water bottles are the straw kind cause for me it’s easier to chug with a straw. But I LOVE water, always have. It’s practically all I ever drink so I know I drink way more than 80oz in a day. 
  • @kagesstarshroom Re: dogs. I think it’s good to let them explore the baby stuff in your home before the baby arrives, but set the same rules you’ll follow when the baby is here, like no jumping up on the bouncy seat or sitting on baby’s blankets or whatever. The best tip I’ve heard for when the baby’s here is to have your partner or whoever is watching the dogs bring home a blanket that the baby was swaddled in at the hospital and give it to the dogs to get used to the baby’s smell before the baby comes home. When we brought the babies home we left them in the car seat and let the dog sniff but not climb or lick. We have a small, calm dog and she’s never been allowed on furniture or anything though so I think we had it easy and I would’ve had to take more precautions if she was bigger or wilder. 
  • @kagesstarshroom ditto what @momoftoddlers said about bringing a swaddle blanket home for dogs to smell before you bring baby home from the hospital. Worked like a charm for a good friend of mine.

I have a water bottle that has lines on it that corresponds with the time of day so it ensures that I drink 2 full bottles of water (64 oz) a day. Makes it easy to track and stay motivated to drink.
  • @kagesstarshroom I’ve heard with pregnancy and breastfeeding to drink to thirst. I’ve also heard half your body weight in oz rounded up to a min of 64oz. I buy water bottles that I can keep on me all the time. My current one is 24oz and I feel best when I drink 4 of them. Some days I drink a bit less if I’m out and about though bc I don’t like peeing every 15 min on the go but I definitely notice it with headaches later. Sometimes I drink more, especially if I exercised. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Great idea about the packing thread! I’ll probably be an early packer too. I’m already thinking about packing a bag for the damn dog in case he goes with the kids to stay at my parents house 😂
  • @miss.sally I JUST bought a new bag for the hospital haha. I was just using this crappy old one, and I wanted one more organized for my final baby haha. I honestly will start packing at 33-34 weeks and just keep it beside my bed so I can add stuff to it. I just feel like this baby wants to come at 36 weeks for some reason (sure I'm wrong but whatever). Funny side note, I packed my Apple Watch charger last time. Yeah, I NEEDED that. Haha. 
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25, honestly, the Apple Watch data during labor would be fascinating if you got to keep it on 😂😂
  • @pdx2020 Haha so true, but, alas, they made me take it off! 
    *TW*

• @hmama716 Did she mean she thinks you'll need to be induced or will go into labor spontaneously before 37 weeks? What's making her say that? Just curious because I'm feeling like I'll be early this time too. I hope you are okay too and that the complications aren't anything too serious!
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25 that I will spontaneously go early... my first was born spontaneously at 36 weeks as well... baby is already head down and dropped. I have also had some issues this pregnancy that cause early birth... I would love for her to cook as long as possible though!
  • @hmama716 wow! Keep us posted on how you’re doing 
    @miss.sally hospital bag thread was a great idea!

any thoughts on crib mattresses? This may be most appropriate for a product spotlight but I’m narrowing down options and any input from STM+ would be helpful :) is there any benefit to spending more than the standard Safety First Heavenly Dreams, for example? 
  • Dumb question, but should I get this baby her own going home outfit, or use the one I used for DD? I started going through clothes last night, and I have a few NB size but not many (DD only wore that size for like 10 days). Wondering if there would be a sweet symmetry to having both girls wear the same outfit home, or if I should get this bean her own special outfit.
  • @kantobean I think it’s nice to pass special outfits down so long as they also have some things just for them. My 5 year old has loved looking at photos and seeing what outfits she and her sister have shared. But I also pay attention when making their baby memory boxes that they each have some items and it doesn’t all go in one bc they both wore it. 
  • @dunder_mifflin I think any mattress that’s affordable and has good reviews is fine. Just be sure it’s firm enough for a newborn and waterproof. 
  • Do you ladies follow any rules with nail polish while pregnant? I’m making an appointment for next month, hopefully right before the baby. I was gonna get the Vinylux so it lasts but I didn’t know if that was a no no. I haven’t had a mani-pedi all pregnancy so I’m thinking it probably doesn’t matter since it’s just this once but 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • @momoftoddlers I really doubt it matters at all tbh. I thought any “salon” warning while pregnant was fume related - you don’t wanna get dizzy from the smells anywhere tho 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Ditto @chichiphin! I’ve worn regular polish I did myself this pregnancy along with a no-chip and a dip @momoftoddlers! When I got my nails done early in the pregnancy I just asked for a mask even though the salon was well ventilated. I can’t wait to get my nails done again next month before baby comes!

Funny story- I got a dip mani in August and when the nail tech was finishing up she told me that the polish was GLOW IN THE DARK!! 😂 I had glow in the dark nail polish on for 3+ weeks (because dips last forever) and I had to sleep with my hands under our blanket because my nails were neon blue and they woke DH up. Then I thought I’d have a radioactive baby but I ended up googling the brand and all seemed well. I guess we won’t really know until this baby gets here.. 😉
  • @momoftoddlers I’ve had a couple of manis this pregnancy with regular polish. And painted them myself a couple of times, too.
  • @lemonlove86 That is hilarious about the glow in the dark polish. 🤣
  • @dunder_mifflin We ended up hating our coil mattress for DD. I can't remember the brand, but I didn't spend a lot on it. For DS I decided to get an organic, 2-1, breathable mattress and never regretted it--Newton Baby. I found DD's SUPER uncomfortable, so the higher price point was worth it. Look into breathe-ability for sure! But if you are seeing really good reviews, then I can't imagine it's bad?
    *TW*

• @EmilyLove25 ooohh I’ve heard good things about the newton! We ended up purchasing the safety first transitions 2-1 infant/toddler memory foam mattress for $100. I figure with all of these expenses of baby 1 piling up, we can always invest later/for baby 2 if we aren’t happy. But the reviews were really good and I read a bunch of mattress review people as well. One mom compared it to the newton and she said she liked the newton a lot but she also liked this one. So fingers crossed 😊
  • @dunder_mifflin That sounds like the PERFECT plan! It's dumb to spend a ton on the front end when you might not even need it! 
    *TW*

• I’ve read that you may not know what baby’s skin is going to handle the best when it comes to baby wipes? So STM+’s, would you recommend just getting 1 of a few different kinds for now to test them out instead of those big packs of 3+? 
  • Has anyone started drinking raspberry leaf tea yet? I just ordered mine but can’t remember exactly when/how many cups to start. I also got evening primrose capsules but I think those don’t start until like 36 weeks. Hard to believe labor prep has begun. Eeeeeek