August 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Organization/Planning

We've already had a couple of informal product spotlights (maternity clothes, reading materials) but it probably makes sense to go ahead and plan out items/categories to feature over the upcoming months. I pulled the google doc spreadsheet we used in my last BMB and updated it a bit, but please jump in with additional topic suggestions and/or any thoughts on (re)ordering.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Things I've already gone back and forth on: do we want to dig any deeper into the maternity clothing topic and profile work clothes vs. workout clothes vs. summer casual, etc.? And although related to reading materials, any interest in separately profiling resources on the newborn stage (breastfeeding, sleep training, PP support etc.) later on?

Also, here's a suggested template for the new thread each week. Again, borrowed from a past BMB, and edits welcome:

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing [ITEM]! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite [ITEM]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a [ITEM] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [ITEM] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [ITEMa]?:

For FTMs:

• [ITEM] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Organization/Planning

• @emiliadkay Wowww, this is great! Thank you so much for doing this! 

The vibe I’m getting from the board is that not a lot of people would go enough in-depth about work clothes/summer clothes/workout clothes, etc. to warrant individual threads for each of those categories. But I could be totally wrong! Maybe we could start one, and see what kind of participation we get? Of course, we will get more participation on this topic when our bumps actually begin showing. 😋
  • @emiliadkay Wow!  This is amazing!!  Thanks so much for setting this up!! 

Once the google sheet is set I can include it in the Board Org thread if that makes sense.  That way whoever wants to start the thread that week will know the topic.  😁
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • This is awesome!! The only thing I can think to add is gadgets/technology. 

Clothes are hard because of different body types, sense of style, etc. and also because most maternity clothes are either awful or $$$$. I think it wouldn’t hurt to revisit the topic again in a month or two when bumps start to pop a bit more and we aren’t all still trying to conceal. I think a general one is fine and maybe have a list in the topic like “please note if suggestions are for work, casual, dressy, basics, bras, undies, pants, tops, dresses, accessories or anything else.” 
  • I don't know that specific winter vs. summer clothes spotlights are necessary. Personally, as a northern-living person, I'd rather a larger thread on all aspects of living in the cold with babies - everything from clothes to maternity outerwear to enjoying the outdoors to the best ski-adaptable strollers/trailers. 
  • Great points! I’ll make a note in the spreadsheet to proactively bump the existing maternity clothes thread in a couple months (and I’m sure it’ll also happen organically as we change seasons, etc.). Gadgets/tech is a good add — I’ll expand the baby monitors item so it’s more general. And @coldlife that’s another good addition - the winter gear/essentials topic will cover some of what you have in mind, but if you want to start a separate thread at some point that aggregates maternity/baby items/general winter survival strategies and tips and tricks I’m all for it.

@ziggymama06 Feel free to drop the google doc link into the board org thread whenever you’re otherwise ready to post! We can keep editing/tweaking (first spotlight post won’t be until next Friday) but the link itself should be fixed/good to go.