March 2020 Moms

Wellness Wednesday 12/18/19

(explanation for gif: breathe in as it fills up, breathe out as it folds in)

What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them?

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday.

Re: Wellness Wednesday 12/18/19

• What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them? I have been trying to eat better now that I can eat more, but it's still hard. And I have been trying to do more yoga now that I am feeling better, and that's been going alright.

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday. So I have done yoga every night this week so far, and I HOPE to keep that up when I'm travelling bc I already have such a hard time sleeping. As for mental health, I need to work on that--I've been pretty emotional lately and probably productive "enough" considering I am supposed to be on break as of Monday, but I feel "behind" on a bunch of things, including things I actually AM behind on but also things that I just don't NEED to start yet--I need to give myself permission to relax more than I have been.
  • @kagesstarshroom Once again, thank you for starting this thread--and you still know the day of the week :smiley:

What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them? 

Just to be healthy and stay on top of my fitness. I truly had no problem getting right back (~3-4 weeks after birth) into running/in shape with my last two, and that REALLY helped me postpartum. I have more on my plate now, so I wanted to make sure I stayed on top of it! So far so good! Wish I was eating more protein, but I really feel fine overall!

Have you done anything positive for your physical health this week? How about your mental health? If not, pick a small, manageable to-do item you can achieve by Saturday.

I am FINALLY back on top of things with DH in town and now with the treadmill. I've run 6 days in a row and should get one in tonight. I've found that setting manageable goals helps me (i.e. tonight I'll do 3 miles). I had to mail cards at work today and opted to walk to the post office (2 miles total so NBD but nice to do it). I feel SO much better! I'd like to run at least twice before Saturday...
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, thanks, @kagesstarshroom for kicking us off! And well done you and @EmilyLove25 for being so consistent! 

Just keep active. I've been keeping up with walking a ton -- been averaging 3-5 miles a day. Had to lay off the bike riding a bit just because of the weather (it gets wet!). Still doing prenatal yoga 2x a week. Really feel like I should be doing more back and shoulder work because my worst symptom (I've been lucky!) is mid-back pain, but it's hard to be motivated to do it! 

Did a couple extra walks, so averaging 6 miles/day this week. Mentally, just feeling a little worn out. I think it's the weather -- it's been so dark recently! Luckily, going to be in sunny Bend, OR all next week, so hopefully getting lots of sunshine and fresh mountain air. 
  • What are your overall health/wellness What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them?

I am struggling with eating right and maintaining healthy weight gain. I also had a tailbone injury in late October, and haven’t worked out at all since then. I’m trying to get back into exercise now.

Actually, yes! My midwife suggested I take walks. I’ve been a total weeny about it because it’s cold out, but yesterday it was still light out and above freezing when I got home from work, so I popped DD in the stroller and took a short brisk walk. I also texted my trainer and I am going back to the gym tomorrow to meet with him! I’m nervous because I haven’t done any weight lifting in over two months, and not even cardio. But I was in this cycle where I didn’t want to text him because it had been so long and I didn’t want to go to the gym in case he was there and I had to explain myself...so I’m glad I’m past that! 

I also made an appointment to see a chiropractor next week. My hips have really been bothering me, and I’m hoping getting some light adjustments could help me feel more comfortable and achieve more physically.
  • What are your overall health/wellness goals and challenges for your pregnancy? How are you doing on them?

I got to a point where I was like oh it’s only another 12 weeks I’ll just let it go til then. And then I realized that was a really crappy strategy. So I’ve started tracking with Weight Watchers again, obviously not to lose weight but just to be cognizant of what I eat. I’m also making it a goal to indulge on the actual holidays of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day but then get most of the junk out of the house. I don’t want to be eating crap for two weeks. In January I’d like to get serious about meal planning and sticking to it, and also starting to stock my freezer for after baby. The hardest part about a winter pregnancy has been not being able to walk. In my previous pregnancies it was summer and I’d always take long walks. I guess I could bundle everyone up but that seems like a lot. Maybe I’ll look for some pregnancy yoga on YouTube. 

Does anyone use an app for anxiety or mental health that they enjoy? I’ve heard good things about the Calm app but when I looked it was kinda pricey. I have a hard time turning my mind off and end up dreaming my anxieties which makes for a restless night’s sleep. 

• @kagesstarshroom @EmilyLove25 @pdx2020

You are rocking your fitness goals. Way to go! 

@kantobean Great job getting back into it. I think exercising again after a break is the hardest part. I’m going to follow your lead and bundle the girls into the stroller and take a walk. 

• @momoftoddlers Once January hits, we should start posting the Meal Plan Mondays thread for us! We might as well take control over that stuff while we still can! I think some ladies were talking about a Magnesium drink that's good for sleep on maybe the... symptoms thread?
  • @momoftoddlers, random, but I listen to a lot of guided meditations on Spotify that help a lot with calming down whenever I feel anxious. They even have quite a few pregnancy-specific ones if you look up hypnobirthing meditations. A lot of my coworkers use Headspace, but the one-offs have worked well for me! 
  • @momoftoddlers it is so hard to make myself take walks with DD. Getting her bundled up and in the mood to go is a struggle at times! Snacks/bribes sometimes help. Also—yes to making freezer meals! We should definitely do a January freezer meal sharing thread.