Infertility
Options

IVF and Artificial Sweeteners

Hi ladies!  I’m getting ready to start another round of IVF. Despite great testing results pre IVF (we are male factor) and what appeared to be a great response to the medication (lupron/follistim protocol) once we went in for retrieval we only got 5 eggs. 3 mature and 2 fertilized normally. We transferred both and it resulted in a chemical. 

We are starting up another round with a different protocol but I have to confess I have a horrible Diet Coke habit. I did limit myself to one can of caffeine free Diet Coke a day but now I’m wondering if those artificial sweeteners could be to blame. 

I’ll be giving it up for our next round (starting the cycle before) but does anyone have any insight on artificial sweeteners and low quality and low egg numbers?  My clinic didn’t give me any diet restrictions. I’m at a normal weight. They were aware of the Diet Coke but didn’t seem concerned. 

Thoughts?

Re: IVF and Artificial Sweeteners

• Options
    I am also an avid Diet Coke drinker. My doctor said I could have one glass of caffeinated diet coke a day, but otherwise maintain a healthy diet of lean meats, fish, fruits and veggies. Avoid fried or processed food.

During my cycle, we got 10 eggs, 9 mature and 5 fertilized (sperm or egg quality issue). That being said, both of our day 6 embryos implanted normally and while we had a vanishing twin, the other is a healthy little girl. I think anything in moderation is fine, personally, but I don't feel the diet coke would have that great an impact on your cycle results. Did you do testing to see if they were normal?
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    mbradfo2 said:
    I am also an avid Diet Coke drinker. My doctor said I could have one glass of caffeinated diet coke a day, but otherwise maintain a healthy diet of lean meats, fish, fruits and veggies. Avoid fried or processed food.

During my cycle, we got 10 eggs, 9 mature and 5 fertilized (sperm or egg quality issue). That being said, both of our day 6 embryos implanted normally and while we had a vanishing twin, the other is a healthy little girl. I think anything in moderation is fine, personally, but I don't feel the diet coke would have that great an impact on your cycle results. Did you do testing to see if they were normal?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only study I've come across regarding artificial sweeteners that had an effect on fertility was with Stevia. However, this was done decades ago and they tested fertility on rats (or mice? not sure) with SUPER LARGE amounts of stevia...which is really overkill. There is some anecdotal accounts that the stevia leaf was used as a contraceptive in South America but nothing was mentioned how or if it worked at all.

I've researched published peer-reviewed articles on the aspartame (the artificial sweetener in Diet Coke) and what I've seen so far are inconclusive. I'm doing a cycle again next month and I think I will avoid sweets, caffeine, etc. 

For myself, I'm more concerned with BPA (or other forms of it), which could be present in plastic bottles and aluminum cans. That's more of the reason why I'm avoiding all of these drinks and other processed foods - if I end up needing to get a drink on the go, I would choose drinks that are in glass bottles.
    History in Spoiler
    Me: 34 DH: 31
    Dx: PCOS with history of endometrial cancer (under control with hormone therapy)
    RE advised IVF as fastest way to get pregnant before hysterectomy
    IVF #1, Jan 2018: Tons of follies, only 2 eggs, zero blasts :(
    IVF #2, April 2018: 22 eggs-> 16 mature -> 9 fertilized -> 3 5-day blasts -> 2 PGS normal
    FET#1 June 2018