June 2020 Moms
Options

December Teacher Check In

We made it to December! Most of us likely have break coming up. Let us know how you are doing. 

How far along are you? 
What do you teach?
How are you feeling? 
Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students?
Any awkward conversations with students yet? 
Are you getting in enough pee breaks?
When does you winter break start? How long do you get?
Weekly Question: What are your strategies for the 2 week to break stretch? 
GTKY: What are you looking forward to most over break? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: December Teacher Check In

• Options
    How far along are you?  14 Weeks 2 Days I'm due 6/4 the last day of school.

What do you teach? 7th Grade Science. Although I have one 8th grade class for 2 more weeks and then my partner and I switch. I'm kinda sad. I love my 8th graders. 

How are you feeling? Pretty good! Finally not nauseous all afternoon. Had a spell with major round ligament pain yesterday durning my class after lunch and had to sit. 

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students?My AP has known since about 6 weeks. She's a dear friend and someone I taught with for 3 years at my previous school. I told the principal on Monday and he was excited for me and said we have good timing since I'm due the last day. He was supportive when I told him I didn't think I'd try and tough it out all the way to the end. I told my kiddos on Tuesday and with the expection of one who made some terrible comments they were all really excited. I'm not sure when  I'll tell the whole staff. 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? I'm not going to post it all here because I posted it in the Randoms the other day but I had a student make some terrible comments and he has since been suspended and we are working on getting hom out of my class. 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yes. Thankfully I'm in the closest classroom to the staff bathroom so I typically can run between periods and make it back before the bell rings. My poor 7th period is going to get the brunt of waiting for me though. 

When does you winter break start? How long do you get? Our last day is the 20th. Our last week is minimum days so that will be nice. We go back January 6th. 

Weekly Question: What are your strategies for the 2 week to break stretch? Keep them as engaged as possible. We are going to be doing a fun s'mores lab for plate tectonics so that should help. Normally I bust out fun labs before break because it keeps them from making me and themselves crazy. 

GTKY: What are you looking forward to most over break? My ILS are taking us to Disneyland and my Dad is coming too! It will be my 1st time since high school and the 1st time DH and I have gone together and my son's first time too! And L will turn 3 while we are there! I'm so excited to share all this with my family. L doesn't quite get it but he's excited anyways. 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 13w1d

What do you teach? 7th grade language arts 

How are you feeling? some days are better than others. Some days I show up having been in the bathroom since waking up, others it’s like morning sickness isn’t even a thing. Thankfully the good days are starting to outnumber the bad. 

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? Coworkers know, we had our last PD day before break last week and I wanted to tell everyone at the same time. I won’t be able to hide it from inquisitive adults who are suspicious so I told them on my own terms. I’m hoping to keep it from students so I’m wearing a lot of black and thick sweaters 😂 

Any awkward conversations with students yet? 
    Always. We had to go over the “there’s no shame in wearing too much deodorant, just shame in not wearing enough” topic again the other day. Pregnancy nose can’t handle it. Not about baby or evading the topic though. It’ll come. 

Are you getting in enough pee breaks?
    kind of? A teacher will cover for me between passing periods but she’s not super reliable about actually looking in on my students during the transition. Makes me nervous. 

When does you winter break start? How long do you get?
    Our last day is the 20th and then we go back for one day of PD on January 3rd (it’s the Friday). Then students that Monday. I don’t love it?

Weekly Question: What are your strategies for the 2 week to break stretch? 
    Easy, low key but high engagement stuff. They’re loving the new book we started and we’ll start a short poetry writing piece next week that’ll take them til break. Work in some slam poetry to keep them going here and there. Any middle school appropriate slam poetry recommendations?

GTKY: What are you looking forward to most over break? 
    It’s going to be pretty quiet. We don’t actually have a lot planned? I rarely have a break like this. Hoping to find out if it’s a boy or girl at my 16 weeks ultrasound though! That’s probably what I’m most excited for :) 

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ErikandAftonErikandAfton member
    edited December 2019
    @alli392
    The potery slam sounds so fun! I know my kiddos would love that! I'm sorry that teacher is not checking on your kids. And yay for finding out boy or girl! 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 16 weeks

What do you teach? High school physics and engineering

How are you feeling? Pretty good! A little tired, but it is hard to know if it is from the pregnancy or the craziness of this time of year.

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? They all know already.

Any awkward conversations with students yet? Not really. The boys have been super supportive and excited. (They bring me snacks). When I told them my quad kept falling asleep like 5 students all started showing me different stretches I could do to help, so that was pretty adorable.

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Oh yes.

When does you winter break start? How long do you get? Tuesday the 17th! 5 more days of classes (since we teach on Saturdays). We are off until the 6th and classes resume the 7th.

Weekly Question: What are your strategies for the 2 week to break stretch? Grind. I am taking a 2 hour yoga/massage class tomorrow that I'm super excited about. I planned my schedule so all tests will be given this week and that only leaves grading for the last few days.

GTKY: What are you looking forward to most over break? My husband and I always go down to Hilton Head, so I am excited for that. We will be there the 24th to 31st, then spend New Year's Eve with friends. I hope it will be slightly warmer than up north.
  • Options
    @ErikandAfton
    Have fun on your vacation! Hopefully you can relax a little during that time as well.

I also always try to end before break with labs. My students will be confirming conservation of momentum for elastic, perfectly inelastic, and explosive collions.

@alli392 I was amazed how all of a sudden I felt so much better. I went from not wanting any food, to eating like normal. About a week ago I just started to feel great. I wish the same for you!

Middle schoolers and their puberty-induced hygiene problems... I am not envious of your role in those conversations. Thank you for having them at that age so I can have fewer when they get to HS.
  • Options
    hewg1287hewg1287 member
    edited December 2019
    How far along are you? 12+2

What do you teach? 6th LA and SS, 7th SS, 8th yearbook

How are you feeling? Always tired. I've not had any morning sickness (thank God)!

Who else at school knows yet?/When do you plan to tell coworkers and students? Most teachers know. It's a tiny school. I'll tell students when I return from break.

Any awkward conversations with students yet? With middle school? Always! But not about babies...

Are you getting in enough pee breaks? Yep, my classroom is connected to another with a bathroom, so I can go when needed.

When does you winter break start? How long do you get? 12/20-1/6

Weekly Question: What are your strategies for the 2 week to break stretch?  Fun and engaging projects. My 6th graders just finished writing Shakespearean Sonnets about things they love (hilarious!) and will be working on alternative book reports for The Princess Bride this week. Also, my annual lip-sync battle with the 6th graders to celebrate the end of the second quarter!

GTKY: What are you looking forward to most over break? Just relaxing. Hubs and I are both teachers and have the same break. No traveling, only my father visiting, and no gifts (to save for a house). It'll be glorious!
  • Options
    kimber308kimber308 member
    edited December 2019
    Anyone else teaching some crazy kids this week? The week before vacation is so difficult! 

I just overheard the teacher next door telling his class, "You know what we need to do, right? We need to pray for snow the next couple of days, so school is cancelled." Why yes. Yes we do.
  • Options
    I’m not currently in a classroom but I taught first grade for 7 years... this time of year is crazy hard! Hang in there teachers! You’re almost to break ❤️
  • Options
    @kimber308
    Me! The kids are crazy and so is the staff. Everyone is stressed and dealing with so much.

I don't think I've ever snapped at our office staff before but I did today over a miscommunication. And it was as much my fault as theirs. I came back and apologized later but we both ended up crying because #hormones. Phew can it be Friday already please? We all need the break.

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20
  • Options
    @kimber308 yesterday was my lady day of school and the students were ahhhhhh. I had to send out an email threatening a 0 for a quiz to get all of my students to just show up to class. Luckily I wasnt asking them to do anything intense, just take apart old projects, but even that was like pulling teeth. 

Super glad it is over. I wish you all the best of luck in these next few days. You got this!

Side rant: tonight is our holiday faculty party and I'm unsure how I feel about going. The faculty usually get pretty wasted (we all live on campus) and I am not looking forward to being around a bunch of drunk teachers while being completely sober....I want to get out and have fun, but staying home and drinking hot cocoa sounds so much more enjoyable. 
  • Options
    @rabbitmama09 I think this is a good year to play the pregnancy card and skip out on those shenanigans. It doesn't sound all that fun without being able to partake at least a little bit.