July 2020 Moms
Options

*TW* Confirmed Loss

It wasn't meant to be for us this time around.  I'm disappointed but optimistic to begin trying again soon.  I wish everyone else a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Yesterday I had my first ultrasound.  I was almost 9 weeks along and certain of it since I was monitoring everything closely while trying to conceive. Unfortunately, there was no heartbeat.  The midwife tried for a while, different positions but couldn't find it.  The doctor then came in and tried to find the heartbeat but nothing was there. At this point it should have been easy to spot. Also, the sizing indicated that the embryo had stopped developing about a week and a half ago. The doctor and midwife were very kind and supportive, answering all my questions with empathy. They assured me I did nothing wrong, it's just that something wasn't developing correctly and this is nature's way of shutting things down. They assured me I should be able to get pregnant as soon as my next cycle with no increased risk.  While we don't know exactly what went wrong, at this stage it is usually a chromosomal abnormality. 

Since I didn't have any heavy bleeding or cramping, this is considered a "missed miscarriage". My body is still producing the pregnancy hormone. I was given 3 options.  

#1  Wait and let nature take it's course, which might take weeks   

#2  Get a D and C, which is a surgical option. This was my first choice but no one is available to do it until next week and I didn't want to wait.

#3  Vaginal Misoprostol- pills inserted vaginally which will cause the cramping and bleeding to start. This is my 2nd best choice and what I am going with after weighing my options and deciding moving on quickly is what is best for me personally. 

I plan to take the rest of the month to heal and practice plenty of self-care.  We plan to start trying again in the new year.  

Re: *TW* Confirmed Loss