May 2020 Moms

December Appointments

Re: December Appointments

• They didn't warn me, either. I'm pretty sure they did the last time, but it's been 6 years and I got hungry yesterday, dammit!  :D
  • Loading the player...
  • @ruby696 thank you!  Still waiting.  I was hoping I would have them before the weekend, but didn’t realistically expect that.  Hopefully Monday or Tuesday!
  • @bananapanda that’s stressful, I’m sorry. I hope everything ends up working out and you and your H can both be at the scan!
  • @bananapanda fingers crossed the snow holds off for you this afternoon!
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Change of plans - the dr called and they were closing early about 11:30.  They said they are booked until sometime in January and since I need to have it done between 18-20 weeks (not sure what the exact time frame is with them) I would have to go to the hospital imaging center.  But my old OB didn't trust the hospital to do the anatomy scan and the one experience I had there I was not a fan.  So I asked if I can just go to the MFM that my old OB used.  They said sure but it will be a day or two to fax the request and then the MFM is only open a few days a week and with the holidays I don't know how long it'll be before I can get in and then she said likely a few days to a week after my MFM US before I can meet with the dr to go over results so that's a bummer.  I was hoping to get it done today and feel better and now best case scenario probably late next week or later before I know anything :(

I guess on the bright side we were able to go pick DD up from daycare before it got horrible out and we are all home safe for now.
  • Oh @bananapanda I'm sorry you have to wait more for this.  I hope you can get your appointment scheduled quickly!  Also be sure to ask your doctor to keep you on some sort of list and call you in the event of a cancellation.
  • @bananapanda Wow, I'm really surprised they're able to just tel you they're closing and you're SOL for having your AS with them!  I hope the MFM gets you in quickly!!!

@Austenista Yay, so glad the AS went well!  Also, LOL @ "baby skull face"
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @bananapanda I’m glad that you were able to pick up DD but man that’s a bummer— having to wait at least a whole other week! Hopefully you can have it sooner than later.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @drkoyya wow what an unexpected surprise!! Glad everything went well today and hopefully you hear from the doctor quickly!
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • @drkoyya that's a weird policy about not being able to look until they take measurements. I also have Kaiser and I've never heard of that. I wonder why they do that?
  • @drkoyya If you've never seen this diagram before, it shows why they don't do sex predictions until closer to 20 weeks.  I'm pretty doubtful she's never been wrong in 19 years if she regularly does them at 13 weeks...

**TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @soprano19 I thought it was weird too. I asked and she said they had to change their policies because someone complain. Idk why they would but they ruined it for everyone 

@shamrocandroll I’m only the messenger 🤷🏾‍♀️ She said she’s been accurate at 12 weeks + I’ll be sure to inform her that she was wrong with me. 
    FTM
  • @drkoyya I have found it to be typical that the tech is not supposed to say much and the doctor has to review everything and share it with you.  What I find unusual is that you have to wait a few days for this.  My office schedules me with a tech for an US and then with the OB in the appointment slot immediately after so you get scan results pretty much immediately.  In the US room they have chairs set up for a guest/husband/etc. facing their own viewing monitor so they can watch.
  • @shamrocandroll I have never seen that diagram, it's interesting for sure.  Baby's change and develop so quickly!
  • @bananapanda I didn’t have a NIPT. Kaiser does another type of blood screening test which is done in 1st and 2nd trimester. I opted for the ultrasound because it was cheaper than other out of pocket options. Now we have a funny story out of it. 

I’m glad that you won’t have to wait until after Christmas for your A/S!
    FTM
  • @drkoyya I live in Ontario Canada and I am using a midwife. My US are at either the hospital or independent community based clinics. The ultrasound techs regulatory college has put out restrictions here and they are not allowed to tell you anything, including gender now. I’ve had a couple US now(bleeding) and I’ve had the same experience as you. Stare at the ceiling, husband comes in after they are done, then they show us both. The techs have told us some things, like heart is beating, things look ok, but very general. 
    I have my AS on the 23rd, but won’t get results(including gender-although I hope they break the rules and tell us) until the 31st at our next midwife appointment. 
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited December 2019
    @shamrocandroll I am pretty sure someone posted that a while back warning her that it may not be accurate, before the elective ultrasound happened.

ETA: YGPM
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @drkoyya Congrats on the boy! Like others have said, it isn't that alarming that the tech didn't say much. My office always schedules the appointment with the doc right after the anatomy scan, but the tech doesn't tell you anything. You have to wait for the appointment with the doctor. I even had an ultrasound in the ER for my gallbladder a couple years ago, the tech didn't say anything, I had to wait for the doctor to come in and go over everything with me.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @drkoyya SURPIRSE! Congrats on the boy <3 I hope you get your results quickly. I find it weird that the techs don't talk to you, our tech is so sweet, when we went for the dating US at 12 weeks she had us laughing and was showing us all of the measurements. I think some of it is last go around she saw me soooo much because I was high risk because it looked like DS could have a hole in his heart (he doesnt it was calcium deposits) but even then she warned me she had to go get my OB because of what she was seeing and talked me through it all with him. 
  • My tech will explain what she is looking at, but won't comment on if it's good or bad or what it means.  She might say that she is measuring a leg or this black spot is the stomach or something like that so we have some clue what's going on.
  • @m6agua @pirateduck
    I had my regular OB appointment a few hours after the AS and she still couldn’t tell me the results because they “weren’t reviewed yet”. She said I can email her later in the week if I’m interested in the measurements... which I am. She did quickly browse the images and also confirmed its a boy. At least I know that there wasn’t anything particularly alarming. 

I did know going into the gender ultrasound that it wasn’t completely accurate but I was being optimistic. I still find it funny, I’ve been chuckling all day
    FTM
  • Im salty that I have no December appointment. I had my November one right before thanksgiving and then my anatomy scan is 1/2. Then another appointment two weeks later. I know there’s mostly nothing to do but it just feels weird
  • My anatomy scan is tomorrow and as usual my anxiety has started the night before. Better than being anxious the whole time in between appointments but hoping our tech will give us some information as they measure/see things because I don't know how I'll wait until next Tuesday to go over results with my doctor. 
    Me: 30 | H: 34
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
    EDD: 5/1/20  *please stick, baby*
  • I have an early GD test I've been putting off for over a week now. I was going to go do it after work last night but I forgot and ate a bunch of cookies MHs students gave him for Christmas and I don't want to go into the test with already high sugar levels even though they say it doesn't have to be a fasting test and my early one last time I had ginger ale from puking at the same time and passed. 

I also scheduled my "first" appointment with the midwives at the hospital for 12/30 they tried getting me in this week but I really didn't want to miss more school right before break, my students are out of control already I couldn't do that to a sub. They told me I will need a note releasing me from the MFM to come back to them, which I wasn't even with the MFM except for the checks they wanted me to do and I just canceled my appointment with them because I figured if we were going to terminate I didn't have to go see them and rack up a huge bill there too. The MFM did schedule a morphology scan with them just to double check everything in January. Which interesting tidbit did you know morphology scan anatomy scan are really called anomaly scans? Because I didn't know what a morphology scan was so I googled if it was the same as anatomy and that's where I found this info which I thought was interesting. 
  • edited December 2019
    I had my anatomy scan yesterday and the doctor told me I have a marginal insertion of the umbilical cord. He explained to me that the umbilical cord is supposed to be right in the center of the placenta, but mine is off center. He said everything could be fine, but that it could affect growth/development of the baby and said to come in for another ultrasound in 6 weeks to monitor. 
    Has anyone been told they have this or experienced this with a previous pregnancy?? The doctor made it seem like it was no big deal, but after googling it and seeing the risks, I am slightly freaking out. 

• @tj_2 My anatomy scan is tomorrow morning and the nerves are hitting me hard this morning.

@linsbins That sucks, I hate how far apart appointments are in this first half.

@jhysmath I did the early GD test (1 hour) at 9 weeks, I ate a nice breakfast of eggs and sausage and sweet potatoes. I was so thankful to pass this time, but I am still getting tested again probably in early Feb. 
    So is MFM thinking things are going well so far or are they waiting on this next scan?

@peachnectarine I think that is what I had with DD, I will have to look back and see if I can figure out if that is what it was. I know there was something with the umbilical cord though and DD was perfectly healthy and it was no big deal.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• @peachnectarine is growth good so far?  If growth is on track, I wouldn’t worry too much.  It sounds like they just want a recheck to be sure it stays on track.  Hang in there, I’m sure 6 weeks feels like a lifetime.
  • @peachnectarine Google is never your friend. Most of the time you will come across extreme stories. If your doctor isn’t concerned, you shouldn’t be either. I had placenta issues with DS2 and he was born a very healthy 7lbs at 36 weeks. 

• Thanks @m6agua @pirateduck @rox7777. The doctor did say the growth looked normal so far, so I’m just going to try not to think about it until the next scan in 6 weeks. And refraining from any more evil googling! 

• @m6agua The MFM says they still don't know what it is and will likely not know until I deliver the placenta. She said that currently the baby is growing as planned so continue with the pregnancy and said I should schedule an appointment at my normal doctor because I hadn't seen them yet since they told me to terminate because it was molar.  I also know that you can't really "trick" the GD test I just felt that the 3 cookies and milky way bar I had probably wouldn't be the best bet going in and I'd likely end up with the 3 hour test just because of all the extra sugar I had consumed at the same time I would have to have the drink. Also the drink they gave me in a 100 ml one when all I have to drink is 50 ml so there's a good chance I will drink more than I'm supposed to even though there is a marker line where I need to stop. 
  • @peachnectarine hoping all works out well with this. Sounds like drs aren’t too concerned, so that’s a good sign!

@jhysmath even my sister (a doctor!) advised me to go low on carbs before the 1 hr glucose test during my last pregnancy. Sadly it got rescheduled at the last minute, had it after lunch and was too hungry to just eat protein, and totally failed. But I passed the three hour (even though it was very unpleasant!) :smile: So I am a bit superstitious about it. But who knows *shrugs*

I had my anatomy scan at 19 weeks and regular OB appt yesterday. Anatomy scan seemed generally good per the tech, but even though they asked me to schedule OB right afterward, she didn’t have the results.

Tech did say - since we asked - that the little one is 93rd percentile and 11 oz estimated. DD was also around there for the anatomy scan and ultimately was big for delivery (ended up with an unplanned c-section.) I have been hoping to VBAC, but not sure if it will make sense to attempt given this news...OB says we can wait until it gets closer to decide. I just can’t imagine I’m going to be more successful this time and last time was pretty tough..:

• @peachnectatine DD had placenta issues and was born at 5lbs at 39 weeks. Keep pushing for more ultrasounds but all they can really do is early delivery. 
  • Doctor saw a fibroid on my uterus yesterday and said while it's small theres a chance I will start having contractions earlier. I obviously don't want a premie but would be happy with an earlier birth because it would give me more time to recover before excited in laws visit from out of town. 
    Me: 30 | H: 34
    Married July 2018
    First-Time Mom
    EDD: 5/1/20  *please stick, baby*