May 2020 Moms

UO Thursday 12/12

Re: UO Thursday 12/12

• This one randomly came up in conversation this week...

I don't like musicals.

I have seen several, including ones on Broadway, and don't like any of them.  I get annoyed by the songs and want people to just say what they want and spit it out in a sentence or two and not a 10 minute song and dance number.

I do however like other plays and movies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Pregnancy is not an excuse to stuff your face with whatever you want!

I was sitting in the OB’s office today when a girl came in on her phone, and said to whoever she was talking to “oh I know the doctor is gonna give me shit, but I don’t care if I gain 60 lbs, it’ll just go away when the baby is born! I’m going to keep eating whatever I want.”

Obviously you have a little leeway but geeze! I was concerned gaining 25 each time!
  • @ieles2531 where does she think it goes after the baby is born...?
  • @ieles2531 I'm supposed to gain between 47lbs and 55lbs. I've managed 20, which is where I'm supposed to be, but OMG, I feel disgusting. Why anyone would want to gain more weight than they need to is beyond me. And do people think they give birth to 60lb babies??
  • I read this in What to Expect and thought I'd share...  it's definitely not a 60lb. baby!

Where's the weight going?

Ever wonder how your pregnancy weight is distributed in your body? It may feel like it’s all in your belly, but that’s not actually the case. For a 30-pound weight gain, here’s the approximate breakdown:

• Baby: 7.5 pounds
    • Placenta: 1.5 pounds
    • Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
    • Uterine enlargement: 2 pounds
    • Maternal breast tissue: 2 pounds
    • Maternal blood volume: 4 pounds
    • Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 pounds
    • Maternal fat stores: 7 pounds
  • @rox7777 Amen! I also really dislike parents that complain constantly about their kids behavior. Not the forum. Also I never give updates to DH because I'm sure he doesn't really need to know everything. I told him when TB said the baby was the size of a taco though, because taco. DH is weird about medical stuff...
  • @catem07 Or gas. Um awkward. 
  • I feel like I've had soooo much gas this pregnancy that when the baby is finally consistently moving I'll continue to think it's just gas.
  • @pirateduck when you get jabbed in the rib, you’ll know the difference 🤣
  • @ieles2531 60 pounds?! That's definitely not going to go away that easy. I agree about using pregnancy as an excuse to eat. Don't get me wrong, I definitely had an emotional day yesterday and decided to eat my feelings and get in-n-out. But I didn't stuff my face and that's not everyday. Health of you and the baby is more important than eating whatever you want. 

@rox7777 I must admit that I'm guilty of the weekly posts. I'm an excited FTM and I know some friends are actually curious. In my defense, I put all my baby updates in my story where most people actively have to go and look. If someone doesn't want to see it, cool don't watch my story. I won't post it on my page because I know most people really don't care. 
    I also agree that sooo many friends are social media are expecting and due sometime in Spring 2020. I guess we all had a busy summer  ;)
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • @drkoyya oh man that just made me want in n out SO BAD. Last time I went to Napa I made my husband fly in to Sacramento just so I could have it 😂
  • @ieles2531 same as soon as I read this post!! @drkoyya in-n-out is always our first stop when we fly home to visit. I'm almost glad to not be in CA for pregnancy because guaranteed I would get it all the time.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • And.... now I want an In-n-Out cheeseburger. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. 😬
  • I guess my UO is that I don't care for In-n-Out... They have okay enough burgers but their fries are bland and taste gross unless you order animal style which adds about 600 calories. And I think their "special sauce" taste like every single other burger place's "special sauce" They do have bomb milkshakes though. 
  • @chewie5990 I do agree about their french fries, they are not the best. But I love their burgers and shakes - neopolitan is the way to go.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • My UO is random, but I let my DS take mental health days when he is feeling overwhelmed. I mean as adults we can all call into work for a day or plan our vacation time, so I think when he needs a break, he deserves it too. That being said he doesn't do it even once a month but there are times I can tell he just needs a break.  
  • @mamaj1220 Good for you for establishing that mental health should be a priority. It’s unfortunate that he doesn’t always take the break he needs. 

I guess my UO is mandatory class attendance. For my college class, I don’t take attendance but I have some colleagues that do. One of my colleagues was astonished that I don’t make attendance mandatory. Life happens. I’m not going to reduce your grade because you couldn’t attend class for whatever reason. The only days that are mandatory are exam days and if someone consistently doesn’t show up, they won’t do well.
    FTM
  • @drkoyya I think that's how I would approach attendance if I taught college. Come to class or don't, it's up to you, but you're going to be a lot more successful if you show up regularly than if you don't.
  • @mamaj1220 I let DD take days when she needs to...her school actually allows for 3 no questions asked absences per semester, and it increases to 4 when they hit the upper school (hers is a prek3 to 12) which I love. The parent still has to call it in, but it doesn’t count against you in any way. 
  • My UO: I haaaaaate full panel maternity pants. I'm so short waisted that on most pairs, the panel literally comes up to my bra line. I also prefer wearing more fitted tops and I hate that you can see the top of the panel through my shirt. Plus they make me way too hot.
  • @soprano19 I use the full panel as another line of defense holding my belly button back 😂 I don’t care if people can see the line. I’m pregnant so they know what’s up!

@catem07 DD was due August 14th and we kept saying she’d be here in August and then she was born July 30th. Joke is on us! But it took me several months after her birth to remember she was born in July and not August since we had that in our heads. I can’t imagine trying to change the exact date in my mind if you’re set on it haha
  • @mokay19 I am due the 13 and babies are typically early at altitude so I keep wondering if I will even have a May baby at all.
  • @pirateduck I’m due May 5 and have a 36 weeker and a 38 weeker and won’t go past 39 weeks. I keep telling people I’m due in May but she’ll be here in April and they seem confused. DS2 was due Nov 16 and born Oct 21. We didn’t even come close. It happens. 
  • @pirateduck from the other side of things don't "expect" to go into labor early... it will make the last few weeks that much more miserable if you are overdue (which is also super common - it's something like 50% of women have their babies before their EDD and 50% have them after - especially FTM's).
  • @pirateduck I completely agree with @rachelg777 ... the last few weeks fee long enough as is (not speaking from experience). Also, my cousin lives in Denver and had all 3 of her daughters late
  • People who are so sure their baby is coming on a certain day make me giggle, then they get annoyed when they go over due and get all the "is baby here yet" questions 
  • I'm probably alone in the camp of "I hope I go well past my due date". Like at least 1.5 weeks. It would work out perfectly with school (AP exams/state exams and when my sub will be available and such). Joke will definitely be on me if the baby's here before my due date! 😭
  • @jrouge12 I'm due on our official last day of school. I'm really hoping I can just make it to my due date so I don't have to worry about anything - but I'm going to have the last 3 weeks prepped just in case. It would be nice to go into labor that next day though so I don't have to sit through a 3 hour graduation ceremony! 
  • @jrouge12 and @chewie5990 I am hoping to over too. It would work out better to be able to finish out the month with work and then I get more time for summer with DS (we are in school here until late June)
  • @chewie5990 and @mamaj1220 FX we all have our "plans" work out! Our graduation ceremony is in late June so I'll probably show up for some of it. But I never stay for the whole thing! 
  • @jrouge12 @chewie5990 @mamaj1220
    This is the potential blessing of having a May due date. For me, I hope that she comes late but at the same time I hope she comes early. Logistically, it’ll be great if I can finish out the semester because currently my Chair has no plans for someone to finish teaching my class (my EDD is the Monday of the last week). Selfishly, I hope she comes in April because my birthday is in May (5/23). 

That being said, I know baby will make her own decision on when she wants to be born and I’ll be happy whenever she gets here.
    FTM
  • @jrouge12 I wish I had the ability to go past 39 weeks! Those last few weeks of getting DS1 to and from school is going to be a ginormous PITA. We were originally trying to aim for a summer baby for that reason.