June 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Cribs and Sleeping Surfaces

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Cribs & Sleeping surfaces!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For STMs:
Lifestyle(House, Apartment, Travel a lot)?
What sleeping surface do you have?
Link/Picture?
Cost?
Pros/Cons?

For FTMs:
Lifestle(House, Apartment, Travel a lot)?
What are you looking at?
Any questions for others?

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs and Sleeping Surfaces

• We have a house, and we did travel a decent amount (not in planes, just cars, but lots of naps at other houses). 

We have two cribs and a travel option.
    Full size crib-currently housing our 15 month old as a toddler bed. Delta 3-in-1. Ours is 4 years old and discontinued, but this is the most similar in price and looks-ours is white not gray. https://www.target.com/p/delta-children-adley-3-in-1-crib-gray/-/A-75003698

Easy up, nice adjustment, and the rails go low enough that at 2 with our first when he started climbing out-we were able to drop mattress to floor, with crib around it, and mattress couldn't scoot out, so it contained him well. Sturdy enough to hold dad with two kids now for story time, went up easy. Came with the extra rail to convert to daybed, but safety rail, and twin bed pieces come separately (I suggest buying them at time of crib in case things get discontinued). We're using a safety rail from Amazon, but it works great.

As our first was still in crib when second was born, we got a Dream On Me mini crib used. Seriously, if you have TWINS YOU NEED TWO OF THESE MINI CRIBS. My friend with twins gave us this one. They held her twins until over 18 months old when she was ready to put them in toddler beds. Advantages-for apartments the footprint is awesome-it's much smaller space needs than a pack and play-it takes up same floor space as our old bassinet, or a side car co-sleeper, but it's a stand alone crib. Also very sturdy construction, and price friendly. Easy to find sheets and waterproof mattress protectors in this size too. We just moved our 15 month old out of it, baby will use it in our room, it fits nicely next to our bed whereas a pack and play wouldn't. Dream On Me 4 in 1 Aden Convertible Mini Crib https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z2C032/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8LN7DbTD07F39

We have a Graco Pack and Play. It's...fine. Wouldn't fly with one, pretty much ever. It's heavy, multi step to set up, traveling with bassinet or extra parts that clip on top is really hard, the bouncy seat included with ours leans back so far my reflux kids hated it, the bassinet is hard to set up and is only good to 15 lbs. There's nothing wrong with it, but I did limited research on these, and it's annoying. Wish we had invested the extra like $50 or so and gotten the 7 lbs Phil and Ted travel crib. That packs tiny, is light, and while it doesn't go up super easy or fast, the size and weight makes up for it. Also, the side zipper on mesh makes it awesome as you can lay down next to baby in there for a bit or to nurse or use it as a changing surface. We never really used our pack and play accessories, as they could only clip in with bassinet on, and with low weight limit and hard to pack those into bag, we didn't bother, so Tim Phil and Ted NOT having them would not bother us. We don't own Phil and Ted option, just checked it out once in person, so I can't offer opinion on longevity, just size, weight, and basic function.

Only thing I can say is the pack and play has been durable. And it makes a thoroughly OK play pen for baby containment or as a portable baby gate. Wouldn't buy again though, as it's merely OK and cost more than our two non-travel cribs. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a house and travel occasionally. DS is in a crib, I think the same one as @pourmeanothermocktail posted above, if not it’s really similar. We didn’t get a bassinet because I was dead set that he was going to sleep in his crib right away, because his room is two steps from ours. That joke was on me as he just started sleeping in his crib right around his first birthday. 

For the first six weeks DS would not sleep unless I was holding him. Finally got him into a rock n play (these are recalled now, but weren’t at the time, so I will not be using it this time unless it’s for supervised something). A lot of naps were in the swing, or while baby wearing. He hated everything else. 

We also have a pack and play with the bassinet attachment, I think it’s graco. It’s fine - he slept in there very occasionally until about 6 months, when we gave up and let him sleep in our bed out of sheer necessity. He naps in a similar pack and play at my parents who watch him 2x/week and still sleeps there now without the bassinet part. He is not a containable child so didn’t use it as a playpen. 

When we travel he generally sleeps in our bed. Idk what to do this time. I don’t really want to buy a bassinet and not use it. We could set up the pack and play again, and still debating if we need a second crib. Also considering a dock a tot (not for overnight sleep, supervised only). 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited December 2019
    @chaos-and-coffee My first didn't sleep in his crib until his first birthday really either, and did a lot of rock and play, wearing, and co-sleeping before then. I almost didn't bother with crib for second, but she was totally different and strongly preferred her own sleeping space pretty early on, hated sleeping with us.

eta-that tendency is probably why I sing the praises of the mini crib so loud. It was so nice to not take away the crib that my son was finally happy in, and to have a small option for in our room. Granted, free made it extra amazing. But I'm all for used cribs too!
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have a house, don't travel often but when we do we use a 4moms pack n play with an extra mattress insert for comfort 

We have a crib from buy buy baby and our mattress is just off Amazon. So many mattresses cost hundreds of dollars and I think it's a waste of money. Anything sold needs to meet safety standards. 

Our mattress which was just over 50.
    Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress or Toddler Bed Mattress with Waterproof Cover - 27.5 inches x 52 inches x 4.75 inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV79VRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oi67DbXF8TM6R
    Our pack and play was around 250. I wouldn't have bought it but we had it on the registry and got it as a gift. It is amazingly easy to set up. You really can do it one handed while holding a baby. 
    4moms breeze GO portable travel playard - easy one push open, one pull close https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DC7PSZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pm67Db4WA898M

If you get a pack and play make sure you get a sheet (or two). They can discontinue your exact series and leave you sheet less in the future. 

My advice is if you plan on using a pack and play for traveling often, I would spend the extra money and get a 4moms again. Go to a store and use the displays. Try to break them down and set them up. You will immediately see why it's worth the money. If you are setting it up once in your house and leaving it in that spot, get something cheaper that may not be as easy to set up. 
  • kyrwynkyrwyn member
    edited December 2019
    We have the lotus travel crib with the bassinet conversion pieces.  It was pricey (about $300) but it's super light, folds up small, and we traveled a lot with it in our son's first year.  We also used it as his bassinet at home until he moved to his crib around 4-5 months. It's tall enough that our dog can't really get her face over the side (big bonus) and we can just squeeze it through our doorways to drag into other rooms.

FFTC: We have an heirloom crib that is verboten to pass down, donate, etc etc etc, because it is a drop rail. I have read all of the studies about the mechanics that failed and caused safety issues and got drop rails banned. As an engineer, I'm also confident that these mechanisms aren't part of our crib -- it's even older than the generation which got them banned, has no plastic parts, would require my kid to break through hardwood and/or metal to make the rail jump its track -- and we inspect it often to make sure there's nothing damaged or loose.  We're going to use it for kiddo #2. I absolutely do not suggest anyone else take this route unless they're 100% confident in their mechanical assessment and maintenance skills but just in case it comes up later, we're totally that rebellious family.

Edit: It's not Monday. So this is a FFTC. Oops.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kyrwyn I trust you. Funny story, my oldest was a NICU baby. When he graduated out of the scary baby box, he spent a few days a a NICU crib. Both sides drop in a NICU crib. Top of the line, state of the art, drop sides. Granted, they're metal, with metal latches, springs, and holes. But, nonetheless, drop sides. I thoroughly agree that it's possible to use some safely, although yes, also agreed that most/many are unsafe.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail I've seen them there, too! They also have the hospital grade ones at the nursery in my son's daycare, and those things would probably survive the apocalypse. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We also used the lotus travel crib with bassinet, but I might try something else with this babe because I wasn't a huge fan of setting it up (the sheet is a pain), and the mattress sits on the floor in the non-bassinet setting. It was easy to travel with, but we didn't travel much.

We got a foam mattress off of Amazon for the crib and probably spent too much money, but I think it was worth it. We should be able to use it again with this kid, though I've heard that crib mattresses should be replaced between kids. I just don't see why that's necessary if the mattress is still clean and firm enough for an infant. I think the mattress was called "little dreamers" or something along those lines.

We have a Baby Hudson crib and plan to use it again for this kiddo. It's currently in toddler mode and has held up great. LO#1 wasn't too rough on it. We will need to get her a big girl bed though. 
  • In a house. We got a convertible crib (Davinci Kalani 4-in-1) which has worked out nicely. It is currently in toddler mode, and my toddler sleeps next to it on the floor because toddlers are weird. 😜

During the early months we had a bassinet (Arms Reach Cosleeper) which friends lent to us for those months. Nice and small to be used in our room, and a good height. Planning to borrow one again. 

The pack and play (with bassinet insert in that raises the height) was really helpful and we kept it in the living room. She slept there occasionally but we mostly had it out for just hanging out in the early days before she could sit up. I had a difficult postpartum recovery so being able to sit on a chair next to the pack and play to be with her when I couldn’t just hold her in my lap or play on the floor was nice. 

Swing and rock and play were a godsend for naps. We were always around when she was in them, I don’t really have any concerns about using these again. 
  • I don’t have much to add that hasn’t been said but we have a house, travel never by plane because $ and always drive to stay overnights. Used a Graco Pack and Play and a crib from Target. Honestly don’t know what kind but got it about two years ago. Haven’t done too much experimenting with it as DD is only 18 months but it works well. She’s currently avoiding taking a nap in it. 

As far as the pack n play goes, I seem to be in the minority, but the Graco has worked really well for us. Granted, I know nothing different. We’ve traveled with it many times even just to take it to the in-laws for an afternoon nap and, once you get the hang of it, isn’t a bit deal to set up and breakdown. DD also slept on the bassinet insert for the first 4 months of her life and then the regular one for the next 7 before we moved her to her room and her crib. It worked well for us but, again, no other experiences. Planning for LO to sleep in our room in the pack n play as well. 

We’ll probably get a toddler bed for DD once she’s done with the crib and bump baby to crib after that. 

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20
  • Does anybody have experience with a co-sleeper they liked? This will be my first and I want something that’s easy for nursing at night. But my husband is an unaware wrecking ball in his sleep. So baby would not be safe sleeping on me or between us. 
  • @emodelski what about the arms reach or something similar you can attach to the bed? Most likely safer than a snuggle me or something in the bed, and still easy access for nursing in the middle of the night. (Disclaimer in that ive never used one myself and we colslept from 6-12 months in bed with me and DS on the couch together most of the first 6 months). 
  • I liked the Halo with my first. They’re pretty expensive new, but there are plenty of deals on FB market and most are almost new as they can only be used for a few months. The adjustable height and swivel make it a convenient option for keeping baby within arms reach. My only complaint is it’s not easy to travel with due to weight and awkward shape. 
  • We used an Arm’s Reach Cosleeper Bassinet that we got as a hand me down until he was getting up on his hands & knees in it. I never even put the side down because I could still flop an arm in there if he was fussy. It was easy to move & lightweight so I could pull him over to the bed if he got fussy without ever getting out of bed. It also wheeled right into the bathroom so he could be with me while I showered if he was fussy or if he was stuffy & I wanted to steam him up some. The shelf underneath was great for holding a few things like hats and burp cloths. 

Crib was a generic hand me down. Nothing fancy. DS mostly just naps in it because he’s still in our room at night. 

Nights, DS sleeps in a pack n play in our room. Rooming together is recommended for the first 6 mo, even better if you can do 12, (the recommendation started at 12 months and I think they realized people were going “lololol. No.” and stopping much earlier so they revised to a more attainable goal) and then since then, we just like having him close and will miss him when we move him to his room after the new year. 

We do have a Lotus travel crib which is awesome. I traveled solo with DS when he was 12 mo & thanks to that being so compact & backpack style, we made it into the hotel with both of us & all of our crap in one trip. Sets up easily, packs small. Drawbacks: how the feet stick out so they trip you the first couple times you pass it after setting it up and the mattress is right on the floor and we have a shedding machine dog so kinda ick right in his face even if you clean often. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • carpediem55carpediem55 member
    edited December 2019
    For STMs:
    Lifestyle(House, Apartment, Travel a lot)?
    We have a house! And travel enough to buy a travel crib. 

What sleeping surface do you have?
    Link/Picture? 
    My 2.5 yo is in a crib. She will be in her crib until 3. Her crib converts to a toddler bed, so we will go through that transition in April. With plenty of time to get used to it before the baby comes. 

For the baby - I got a mini crib, since the 2 little ones will be sharing a room. And there’s not much space. 

For travel - we have a Bjorn travel crib. When I bought it in 2017, it was the lightest one on the market. We have used it a ton and it’s seriously the best thing ever! I would highly recommend. My daughter still sleeps in it.

my daughter slept in a Bassinet until 4 months. I transitioned her into the crib then. She also slept in the dock a Tot (in the bassinet) until she could roll over. This was the best ever, since it was portable. 

Also, my daughter also still sleeps in a pack n play at my parents! 

Cost?
    Pottery Barn Kids (crib) $$? & Babyletto mini crib $269

Pros/Cons?
    Pros of our Bjorn travel crib - super light and easy to travel with!