Baby Names

Baby boy name - how similar is too similar?

My first son's name is Evander and we had no problem coming up with that name , but the second one is proving to be quite difficult. We settled on Derek for the middle name (a family name) and some names we like are Elim and Edison. However, we are SET on a daughter being named Eden if we have a daughter in the future, and think Elim and Edison are too similar to Eden and would take Eden off the table in the future. We love Eden but only like Elim and Edison. Any thoughts on similar sibling names or other baby boy name ideas(they don't have to start with E, our favourite names just all happen to start with E's)? 
PS I also LOVE Emerson for a boy but it's just become too popular for girls for me to use it . 

Re: Baby boy name - how similar is too similar?

• Sorry, Emerson is pure boy and is a great name for a BOY! Honestly in the school that I work in there is 1 Emerson in the population of 350+ preschool - 6th grade and it's a boy.  Honestly I do not like your other choices.  

Cedric
    Dimitri 
    Lachlan 
    Dorian
    Cassius
    Lucius

• What about: 
    Elliott 
    Elijah
    Eli
    Ezekiel 
    Ezra
    Ethan
  • Loading the player...
  • That is good to know. I just wonder about nicknames. Would a boy Emerson end up being called Emmie for short by his friends...Emmie sounds very feminine to me.
  • What about: 
    Elliott 
    Elijah
    Eli
    Ezekiel 
    Ezra
    Ethan
    I really like Elijah and Eli but we have friends with both of those names. 
  • That is good to know. I just wonder about nicknames. Would a boy Emerson end up being called Emmie for short by his friends...Emmie sounds very feminine to me.
    Not if you call him by his 1st name and he tells his friends he does not want to be called Emmie.  Just tell people, my name is Emmerson not Emmie.   I was called out by a kindergartener before.  Shortened his name, and he goes "Mrs. E I am not Sam, I am Samuel."  I apologized and we moved on.
  • I love Emerson for a boy and agree with PP that if the nickname "Emmie" bothers you, just dont' use it.  If he decides he doesn't mind it from others in the future, that's his choice, but you don't have to!
  • I do think that Eden would be disqualified for future use if you used Edison. And I think Eden is beautiful, so I would not want to sacrifice it to use a name that I only “like” for baby #2.

If it were me, I would steer towards names that do not start with E for baby #2. I’m sure you can come up with a few names, that you at least like as much as Edison, that don’t start with E. 🙂

PS: While I personally only think of Emerson as a boy name, I would not personally use that name for a boy, for fear there would be a “girl Emerson” in his class, and he would then be known as “boy Emerson.”
  • All of these are too close. 
  • I love Evander. We considered that for baby 1 but ultimately went with Oliver. I really like Edison, it’s always been on our list but I’ve struggled to pull the trigger. I think Edison and Eden are close but I am not sure I think they are too close. Plus from someone who is pregnant with my third and final boy, pick the name you love because the future has its own plans for you. We are considering Emerson as a middle name for babe 3 for the same reason you stated. We love it and it’s a family name, but it’s become too feminine for me to want to use it as a first name. Good luck! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are also following an E trend.

Ethan (probably too close to Eden)
    Elliot
    Emmett
    Eliezer
    Emery (i know a man named that and it suits him but I guess it's more a girl name)
    Evan
    Emerson
    Edmund
    Eston or Easton
    Ezra
    There is no shortage of Eli.... Names in Hebrew
    11/27/12
    First Child born

5/5/14 and 6/5/14
    Twins born into Heaven 
    BFP - 4/6/14, due date 12/8/14. First twin M/C at home - 5/5/14, Second twin D&C - 6/5/14

11/14
    Chemical Pregnancy

9/5/15
    Second after severe bleeding for 18 weeks due to subchorionic hematoma

Currently
    Expecting Number 3 due 10/31/2020