May 2020 Moms

Randoms Dec 9-15

Put your random thoughts here.  Apparently today is National Pastry Day, so.... that's random!

**TW**
Me: 35 | H: 40
Married Sept. 2013
DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
BFP!  8/24/19
DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

Re: Randoms Dec 9-15

• Excellent. I think I'll just go grab a muffin from the kitchen. 

We've had the worst weekend with a stomach bug. IDK how many loads of laundry we've done. How many bed pukes, etc. etc. Both boys have had it, I've had it, now MH is in bed sick with it. I was up until four last night because DS1 started throwing up again. He ended up throwing up three times and going through four pairs of pajamas. At one point I just had to give him another bath. DS2 couldn't even keep down a cracker yesterday. I spoke with my dad and my sister has it too. We went out for her birthday on Thursday. We sat on the same side of the booth. I think we caught it there. Seriously though. Worst. Ever. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got a cold 10 days ago and it never went away. It turned into a sinus infection, and now my face hurts so bad I can't eat. Fun times. At the doctor, waiting on blood work to make sure it's viral and not bacterial. I just want to eat. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Austenista I'm so sorry!! that's terrible. We've fought the stomach bug a few times here over the last year. Being pregnant with the bug is some kind of hell. 
  • @Austenista Oh my gosh, that's horrible!!!  The norovirus is going around.  I hope you guys all recover soon!  We had it 2 years ago and it was so so so bad.  I made a bleach and water solution and wiped down just about every wipeable surface in my house, and that was the only thing that finally killed it.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @Austenista Ugh, how awful! Your poor family. I hope everyone recovers quickly. I had food poisoning when I was pregnant with DS and I ended up with hemorrhoids from throwing up. Being sick while pregnant is the worst. 
  • @Austenista oh no that is horrible! I hope everyone starts to feel better soon. 

@thepretzelchick hear anything about your bloodwork? Feel better soon!
  • DH caught the flu. Luckily the boys got the flu shot and didn’t catch it. I, unfortunately, wasn’t scheduled to get mine until next week. Day 7 and still fairly miserable. 
  • @rox7777 Oh man.  I'm surprised they let you go so late without one.  They gave me mine at my first appointment back in October.  I hope you're feeling better soon!
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll My OB won’t administer one. 🙄 But I had to have clearance from her to get one from our regular doctor. It was a huge PITA. Usually I get mine done at DS1’s hospital on one of his treatment days since they do his there, but we missed the week they did it this year. 
  • @rox7777 Ugh, I'm sorry.  I hope it's relatively minor!  Did you call your OB to let them know you might have the flu?  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• I just got my flu shot yesterday. We can walk in to most pharmacies and get them here (my midwife doesn’t give them for some reason) so I only waited so long because I hadn’t gotten around to it. 

And ow! The pharmacist mentioned this year’s shot was causing swelling. This is worse than any past year I remember!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @shamrocandroll Yes and got the usual spiel about taking Tylenol if I need it and not much else. Luckily the worst seems to have passed. Just the general fatigue, dry cough and snuffed nose are lingering. The first few days were the worst. 
  • I’m exhausted I think we need nap time during the day, I don’t even want to make dinner because I’m so tired.
  • @pirateduck DF would but he likes too much spice for me 😂 I am super picky and he tried but most of the time I can’t eat what he makes because I am so picky 
  • @rachelg777 Yes, I got the call around noon today that the bloodwork showed "significant bacterial infection." My tender, swollen face wholeheartedly agrees with that. As soon I get the kids from school, I'll swing by the pharmacy for abx. I am so looking forward to functioning normally again.
  • @thepretzelchick poor thing! Yes hopefully those abx kick in asap. Feel better!
  • So I typed this the other day and I guess never posted it....?

Has anyone experienced the development of a milk sensitivity during pregnancy?
  • @mokay19 Not specifically milk, but with DS1, I was unable to eat meat.  Couldn't handle the smell or taste, and when I did manage to eat some it made me feel nauseous.  I also know some women who were like that with dairy, so definitely plausible!  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll Um yay for free mattresses! MH and I have had a king for years. It’s a necessity. But we’ve been trying to decide between the purple mattress and the Casper. I HATE mattress shopping because we have such different tastes in comfort. 
  • @shamrocandroll yay for the King mattress TIMES TWO! Haha 
    When DH and I finally lived together after being married (he was gone for the first 7 months training), we started with a queen and that was quickly upgraded! so props to you on lasting so long in a queen with YH and not murdering him 😂😂
  • @rox7777 @mokay19 I think anything over $500 is considered grand theft, and I'm not cut out for prison, so I called them and told them, haha. 

@rox7777 The Casper and Avocado Green were the two top rated mattresses by consumer reports.  Purple got goo ratings as well, but it's probably not for everyone because it's very different than your traditional mattress.  Since I'm sleeping on my side now, I needed something with more give on top with firm support underneath.  The Purple Hybrid with the purple grid layer on top and the coils underneath is PERFECT for that!  It definitely feels way too soft when you first sit on it, but I've woken up with zero soreness the last 2 days, which wouldn't be the case on an all-around soft mattress.  MH says it still feels too soft to him, but he's not waking up sore, and he can sleep anywhere, so I'm sure he'll get used to it.  Another thing you could look into is getting two XL twin mattrsses, and then putting them together to make a King.  They make accessories that can go in between them so there's not a gap.  That way you can both get what you want.  You just have to make sure the two mattresses you pick out are the same thickness.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @shamrocandroll Are two twins equal to a king? Even XL I think it's a queen. I inherited my grandparents' Tempur-Pedic adjustable bed which is two twins pushed together. We've been talking about upgrading to a king soon. I'll take your extra one! Haha
  • @lisush a regular king is the same length as a queen or a twin XL. California kings are the longer ones. Two twin XLs together are 2 inches wider than a king and the same length. https://www.mattressfirm.com/mattress-sizes-dimensions.html

One day we'll get a California king...but I love how our current mattress (queen) feels so it won't be until it's time to get rid of that one. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Yay @shamrocandroll !  This is great.  We've been sleeping on our new king for about a month now (I think), upgraded from a queen.  I can't believe how roomy it seems.  I'm not "in love" with my new mattress, but it's an improvement.  I think it more stems from pregnancy however and attempting to be a side sleeper for the first time in my life.  It's kinda firm for that, but as soon as this baby pops out I'm sleeping on my back again.  My husband is not a side sleeper either, so yeah, ultimately a firmer mattress is good for us, this pregnancy just makes me uncomfortable in general.
  • Last night I had my first pregnancy emotional breakdown. DH lives for the moment and isn’t overly emotional— that’s actually one of the reasons I married him because we balance each other out. Well lately I’ve been venting about my growing pains and what to expect during labor and the initial weeks postpartum, but he’s just been dismissing my comments. Last night I showed him my belly, because I’m still amazed by it (which reminds me.. I’m off to create a HDBD thread unless someone beats me to it). He literally pushed me to the side (I was blocking the hallway) and said “I don’t have time for this, your stomach is going to get bigger and you wanted this.” Which is true, but that still doesn’t mean that I’m not freaked out & amazed by these body changes. 

Well that set me off and I cried next to him in bed. Until I realized I was hungry and made myself a quesadilla. 

He’s been so great doing things to prep for baby, but I could really use some more sensitivity to what’s going on with me mentally & physically.
    Me: 28  DH: 29
    FTM
    BFP 08/25/19, EDD 05/04/20
  • I have to decide on new insurance within a week.  Why must this be sooooo difficult.  One thing is that I don't know whether or not I will return to work after the baby.  I'm wondering if I should just buy insurance independently of my work (even though monthly premiums would be more) so that I'm not potentially switching insurance mid year and working on two deductibles/maximums.  What are others doing?
  • RE: Mattress
    For my first pregnancy DH and I were still on my old Full size mattress. It was awful, even though I was only pregnant for 11 weeks. Then for my second pregnancy we had finally upgraded to a King size. I don't know how we had a Full for so long. Our mattress is only 4 years old, but is definitely warn and dented from me being so large last pregnancy. I think after this pregnancy we will need to upgrade to a new mattress. Getting a King size up our stairs that have a corner sucked though!

RE: Insurance
    @pirateduck I'm no help. We are on DHs insurance because it is so much better than what my job offers. I also plan on going back to work after my 12 weeks of leave.

@drkoyya I am sorry you H is not being sensitive. For myself, I needed to talk to my girlfriends and TB, H just got drained quick on all of the emotional talk.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @lisush A king is considered equivalent to two twin XLs.  You can generally fit a king sized fitted sheet over two XL twins side-by-side.  They do make queens that are split as well, but in general, each half is about 8" narrower than a twin XL.  
    **TW**
    Married Sept. 2013
    BFP!  8/24/19

• @drkoyya my H isn’t super supportive when it comes to that stuff either. I’ve learned that it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care, he’s just not sympathetic toward things he can’t actually feel/do. It hurt my feelings a bit my first pregnancy but this one I have just backed off venting to him and let him decide more of what he wanted to know/ be involved in. I vent to my girl friends who have been pregnant before, I have one friend who’s long distance so she’s even better to vent to since she doesn’t have to live with seeing me regularly lol! 
  • heyybrittheyybritt member
    edited December 2019
    @drkoyya sorry to hear you had a rough day yesterday  :/ hopefully as things progress along your husband gains more understanding of what you're going through. We are always here to listen too!

We also need to upgrade our mattress to a king. Over the weekend MH told me he thinks I'm sleeping more wild now that I'm pregnant and I'm in his space too much. I just really don't want to do the research for it!

ETA: MH didn't know we were having this conversation on TB this morning and just sent me a link to mattresses 😂
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • @drkoyya everyone processes things differently.  I feel my relationship is probably similar in that I am the emotional one generally and my husband is a brick wall...  that's the way he is, and we balance each other out, and if we were both equally emotionally things would probably totally fall apart.  That being said, it does not mean he doesn't listen or doesn't care.  Do be sure to tell him that you are feeling overwhelmed and need his support.  He may not know how to give you that support in a way that is helpful to you.  He may need your guidance.  I had a breakdown one day, overwhelmed about all the "stuff" we don't have and what we need to prep for the baby.  I told him I can't do it alone.  Later he admitted to me this is stuff he never really thought about.  A few weeks later when shopping HE was the one to drag me to the baby section of the store to look at "stuff" we might need.  Somehow even though I was initially a blubbering mess, I had gotten through.  I guess what I'm saying is, don't give up on him, try to explain yourself another time (outside of the immediate breakdown), give him guidance on how he can help/support you, and prepared to be amazed, because I guarantee he does care about you and the baby or you two wouldn't even be having a baby.  
  • @heyybritt FWIW in a former life, I used to sell mattresses.  The best thing you can do is to go to a showroom and lay on different mattresses.  Do not lay on any that are not in your price range.  Try the others.  You have to lay in the position you sleep in (maybe even bring your own pillow, though the store will have some), for at least 10 minutes.  I know this seems a little awkward, and you definitely have to plan time for it, but you do not want to be disappointed in your purchase.  It needs to be comfortable for your body in your regular sleep position, no pressure points, etc.  You and your husband can do this together or separately and make a list of your top 3 and hopefully there is overlap.
  • @pirateduck that's good advice. I know going to the store is the best thing to do, it's definitely just a matter of planning the time to do it.
    Me: 31 ~ DH: 34 
    FTM
    BFP: 9/5/19 ~ EDD 5/15/20
  • Yay @rox7777 congrats on getting the room cleared!  That is a HUGE accomplishment and must feel so good.  I think I'll be ordering a crib soon too.  I'm almost decided and I made the space for it too.  You have to get your crib in there before you decide to store something else in it's spot and the room starts collecting things again.
  • @rox7777 Ugh, you're way ahead of me. We need to turn MH's office into the nursery and for the last three years it's been an office/room where everything without a place goes. 
  • catem07catem07 member
    edited December 2019
    @pirateduck Do you usually have a lot of medical needs when you're not pregnant? If not, I wouldn't buy your own insurance at this point since the amount you're likely to spend after delivery is all done might be $500 or less if you don't have ongoing medical concerns. I'm curious why you and your husband aren't on the same plan, or aren't planning to be after baby?

For me and my husband, we stayed on separate plans until we had a baby because neither of us had an employee + 1 option and then all went on the same plan once we needed a family plan. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @pirateduck and @ruby696 We’ve been debating the whole nursery/no nursery thing for weeks. I finally made a snap decision and just started clearing and moving crap. Otherwise we would have dragged our feet until the bitter end.